Pathetic teleportation

Pathetic teleportation

in Thief

Posted by: Tomasz Bierca.6295

Tomasz Bierca.6295

ArenaNet, why every time you try to fix teleportation you break something else. If you dont know how to write good teleportation alghoritm why dont you allow every class using that and remove all conditions? I understand you dont want thief to teleport up but why you forbid down teleportation. Sometimes camera is in such position thats the only place where i could run but of course it doesnt work. Currently so often Shadow Return doesnt work at all and every use is waste of skill because i still stay in the same point not moving even a centimeter. I dont mean even distance limitation but it just DOESNT WORK and annoys me every time more. Even if ground has one stairs step it doesnt work. Simple – admit you CANT write it properly. Good luck breaking it more evey update.

Pathetic teleportation

in Thief

Posted by: God Of Fissures.8627

God Of Fissures.8627

The shadowstepping in this game is done based on pathing. If the area you are attempting to shadowstep to is able to be walked to via a path from your current position, the shadowstep succeeds.

If there is no pathing in the area OR the place you are attempting to shadowstep to cannot be reached by directly walking there, the shadowstep fails.

i7-3770K (Delidded) @ 4.6GHz | nVidia GTX TITAN X@ 1468/7800
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz @ 2400MHz
Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD | Windows 10 x64

Pathetic teleportation

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

If there is no pathing in the area OR the place you are attempting to shadowstep to cannot be reached by directly walking there, the shadowstep fails.

Yes, that’s how it’s supposed to be, but not how it works currently.

I can walk uphills but not shadowstep or shadow return uphills.
If the leaked patch notes are true, we will lie stunned/knocked down in the same spot
if the shadow return fails. And since it doesn’t take much for it to fail, it renders
the ability unreliable for its purpose.

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

Pathetic teleportation

in Thief

Posted by: Tomasz Bierca.6295

Tomasz Bierca.6295

But from player perspective im not interested how its made at all. They can use NASA algorithms or the one from primary school. Im just the player and i what it to work like its supposed to work. If it says i can Shadow Return for example distance X and i dont mean hills but flat area it should work. But it doesnt because its broken. By the way there is tone of places where thief still can go up on hills – it means its broken algorithm. No matter where i want to Shadow Return it shouldnt leave me the same place. Algorithm they use just SUCKS.

Pathetic teleportation

in Thief

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Yes, that’s how it’s supposed to be, but not how it works currently.

I can walk uphills but not shadowstep or shadow return uphills.

Pretty much this is what usually happens.

Pathetic teleportation

in Thief

Posted by: Shemsu.8721

Shemsu.8721

The shadowstepping in this game is done based on pathing. If the area you are attempting to shadowstep to is able to be walked to via a path from your current position, the shadowstep succeeds.

OR if there is a pebble somewhere on the group to small to see, the shadowstep fails. OR if there is a 1 degree imperceptible slope to the ground, the shadowstep fails. I dont know what blue sky world you live in, but i’d love it if shadowstep actually works like that

Pathetic teleportation

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Every other class uses proper teleports, even on skills that are functionally very similar to the Thief shadowsteps.
I’m really starting to think they should just make all the Thief shadowsteps function as legit teleports, limited only by line of sight.
Who gives a crap about a Thief cheesing a jumping puzzle once every minute or so, or Stealing on top of a keep wall if you get lucky and some idiot stands too close to the edge, just to get slaughtered by everyone inside.
At least in regard to puzzles, Mesmers, Engineers and Necromancers can already cheat at them to some extent.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

Pathetic teleportation

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

The problem is called “collision detection”. The procedure that handles that detection is based on a “hit box”. So, if you see a slope, it’s actually tiny little steps of stairs — or boxes. The only reason why you are seeing smooth surfaces is because your graphic settings is spoiling your eyes with high definition rendering.

Now, even if you write a good algorithm for teleportation, you will still face with the “hit box” problem when the environment hit box collides with your character hit box. The algorithm will only care about point A and point B. If the algorithm has to calculate for other points generated by the collision detection, then your teleportation will not be instantaneous and prone to be very buggy.

Imagine trying to teleport thru a cylindrical pillar, each box-y edges around that pillar will collide with your character hit box — that’s why we get the current faulty teleportation — it’s because of those rugged edges.

So you may ask why don’t they just make the cylindrical pillar have a square hit box. That is because you will run into problems where characters hits something that doesn’t exists — I’m sure you know all about “invisible walls”.

So how are we going to solve this issue?

The solution is simple and I’m wondering whey they have not done this from the very beginning. I mean they have the technology of manipulating the characters (tonics) so they have no excuse why this has not been implemented.

The solution to this is; shrink the character hit box while in transport.

Problem solved.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.