Philosophical Thread for Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

This thread is meant for deep discussion about thieves, their skills, direction, etc. Mindkittens are encouraged. Allow me to start this thread off with some relative comparison.

Relate this vid to the Dec 10th changes to this profession.

PROTIP: You can contribute instead of trying to siphon messages out of the vid I posted.
>.<

GO! GO! GO!

(edited by Zacchary.6183)

in Thief

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

What a nice video of every other class with CC and condis after they completely destroy us in WvW.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Bumping this so i can contribute later :p

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Trash, destruction, being laughed at….yup.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Okay what did I just watch? A documentary on Warrior players?

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

For all that theorycrafting you guys do you are not that philisophical. >.< I could write a small book on this!

Think deeper!

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

The video is about being a thief. Standing alone.Sometimes with someone alike.We stand calm and chuckle at the chaos around us on the battlefield. No matter the situation we’re in, the tough places we’re put in, we stand and chuckle because we know that we can succeed.

Flip side:
You put a thief in any situation and they’re a joke.

(this is going to be a great thread)

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Thief’s Experience
- You made us fragile like a woman on top of a building – we laugh
- Seeing that storm destroys everything of us – we laugh
- You drown us underwater, drop us from the sky – we laugh
- You burn down everything we have – we laugh
- You basically given us nothing but trash – we laugh
- Seeing more destruction of what we have left – we laugh
- We laugh even as time goes by

- We get nuked – we laugh
- Then you try to entice us with fine dining (with no food) – we laugh
- You place us on top of a cold mountain – we laugh
- Even putting us on the moon – we laugh

- Then there you go, riding on your skate and hit us with a nerf bat laughing — we’re not amused.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

in Thief

Posted by: sierras.6297

sierras.6297

This shouldn’t have been based on a video…just saying. Would be better if it was a written concept.

Oscuro Sombra~lv. 80 Thief|Oscuro Uno~lv. 80 Necro|
Oscuro Tanque~lv. 80 Guardian|
[RaW] Kaineng

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

You guys can contribute you know. This entire thread doesn’t have to be about 1 vid. You could post pictures, quotes and other crap to make the brain juices flowing.

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

I don’t have much to add. Just this.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

2nd one only up until 1:07

(Before I get hated on, both bands are decent, I used to listen to metal (not much anymore, tastes change)…)

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

I don’t have much to add. Just this.

:O

That’s like a year’s worth of tears packed into 8 seconds!

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

2nd one only up until 1:07

(Before I get hated on, both bands are decent, I used to listen to metal (not much anymore, tastes change)…)

Well this is the slipknot song that came to my mind:

\m/

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Keep the discussion going ~ Bump

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

I don’t know about anyone else, but I look up at the stars at night and wonder, why are we here? What is our purpose?

In all seriousness, what is the role of Thieves? “Jack of all trades” belongs to the Engineer; “highest damage output” is far easier done by other classes, like LH Eles and Warriors; “group utility” is served by Eles, Mesmers, and spirit Rangers. It’s a fun class and I enjoy it, but I feel largely ineffective in group dynamics.

It would be disingenuous of me to say the class is completely useless, or to ever claim that I intend to delete my Thief. But I’m not really sure if our status in the current game reflects what the class was meant to be.

I think the Thief has been failing to meet expectations since it’s institution in the game. It’s certainly failed many of mine.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Thief

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

Wow. So much negativity. Thieves do well today and can fit multiple roles. Dec 10th isn’t the end of the world, lol.

OP’d thief, lol

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

we are…annoyance?

every game has different role for thieves, usually they are evasive sneaky squishy bursty class but mostly play as support dps

in wow they were CC/high dmg support; in LoL eve is support dps jungler

oddly enough it seems like in this game thieves have to sacrifice literary everything to do dmg while other classes don’t; i honestly don’t know what devs are trying to do with thieves…. most of it doesn’t make much sense to me

sidenote: faced ranger and war in tpvp match, stole wars axe, used axe while war and ranger spammed bow, they killed themself, called thieves OP

i didn’t even do dmg outside of stolen axe….-_-

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in Thief

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

Wow. So much negativity. Thieves do well today and can fit multiple roles. Dec 10th isn’t the end of the world, lol.

Which part of this discussion, exactly, said or implied that Dec 10th is “the end of the world”? It was my understanding that this was a general discussion thread about thieves, and is only loosely related to the coming update.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Thief

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Thanks for opening up the discussion Zacchary. Always looking to improve the community. Keep it up! (Will contribute later)

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

I don’t know about anyone else, but I look up at the stars at night and wonder, why are we here? What is our purpose?

In all seriousness, what is the role of Thieves? “Jack of all trades” belongs to the Engineer; “highest damage output” is far easier done by other classes, like LH Eles and Warriors; “group utility” is served by Eles, Mesmers, and spirit Rangers. It’s a fun class and I enjoy it, but I feel largely ineffective in group dynamics.

It would be disingenuous of me to say the class is completely useless, or to ever claim that I intend to delete my Thief. But I’m not really sure if our status in the current game reflects what the class was meant to be.

I think the Thief has been failing to meet expectations since it’s institution in the game. It’s certainly failed many of mine.

Thief is classified as an Adventurer compare to Warrior and Guardian who are classified as Soldiers.

So what does an Adventurer do exactly?

Adventuring is daring the unknown and discovering new things. That’s why Engineer loves their tools and inventions; and Rangers loves their pets. Adventuring is also taking risk for a great reward and that’s why Thieves steals.

Typically when Thieves are caught, they face punishment and in some culture they are not only hit by a nerf bat, they also faced with a dismemberment — an act of making sure that the Thief will never steal again.

So how does that reflect the Thief in GW2?

Thieves in GW2 are risk takers. Players who plays Thief takes the risk of getting hit by a nerf bat because they are playing the profession really well — and Anet plays the barbaric culture of dismembering the Thief so that whenever we steal, we get cut into pieces because Anet wants to dismembered us from our ability to regain endurance.

So the Thieves in Tyria started to sign-up for military duty to become Soldiers and many have joined the ranks of Warriors and Guardians.

In Tyria, stealing and necromancy are dishonorable professions, thus they get hit with the bat more often that the “goody-two-shoes” professions.

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Dec 10th isn’t the end of the world, lol.

If that’s your deep interpretation of this thread, then okay.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Thief is classified as an Adventurer compare to Warrior and Guardian who are classified as Soldiers.

Adventuring is daring the unknown and discovering new things. That’s why Engineer loves their tools and inventions; and Rangers loves their pets. Adventuring is also taking risk for a great reward and that’s why Thieves steals.

Typically when Thieves are caught, they face punishment and in some culture they are not only hit by a nerf bat, they also faced with a dismemberment — an act of making sure that the Thief will never steal again.

Thieves in GW2 are risk takers. Players who plays Thief takes the risk of getting hit by a nerf bat because they are playing the profession really well — and Anet plays the barbaric culture of dismembering the Thief so that whenever we steal, we get cut into pieces because Anet wants to dismembered us from our ability to regain endurance.

So the Thieves in Tyria started to sign-up for military duty to become Soldiers and many have joined the ranks of Warriors and Guardians.

In Tyria, stealing and necromancy are dishonorable professions, thus they get hit with the bat more often that the “goody-two-shoes” professions.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

lol @ Adventuring Burglar

EDIT: I just realize how true the LotR is, while the burglars went all stealth to destroy the Ring, the lame Warrior get to become king. >.<’

in Thief

Cynz.9437

omg that’s too epic

where do mesmers fit in there..<_<?

All is Vain~

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

omg that’s too epic

Glad you like it.

Mesmers are of the class Scholar. Just like the other scholars, they are focused on studying some part of the world. Elemetalist studies the elements (duh right?) and Necromancers studies the dead.

But what does Mesmer studies?

Mesmers are scholars studying people. People is not limited to humans. According to the Disney’s Pocahontas, “you think the only people who are people are the people who looks and think like you.” Mesmer obviously shares the same belief that people comes in different shape and form. This means that Mesmers studies all different kind of people in Tyria; from Humans, Charr, Sylvari, Skritts, Hyleks, etc., even the undeads of Orr.

So what do they get from studying the different people?

Mind control.

If you understand the people’s behavior, you get to control their minds. You can insert ideas that manipulates their abilities by either positive reinforcements to make people do better or take advantage of their fears to make them fail. What Mesmers found in their studies is that although people in Tyria are different, they all share a common fear — that is being outnumbered. Mesmers takes advantage of this fear by forming their magic to create illusions of themselves in battle.

While Elementalist and Necromancers can summon ugly minions, Mesmers only surrounds themselves with pretty people.

in Thief

Cynz.9437

omg that’s too epic

Glad you like it.

Mesmers are of the class Scholar. Just like the other scholars, they are focused on studying some part of the world. Elemetalist studies the elements (duh right?) and Necromancers studies the dead.

Mesmers are scholars studying people. People is not limited to humans. According to the Disney’s Pocahontas, “you think the only people who are people are the people who looks and think like you.” Mesmer obviously shares the same belief that people comes in different shape and form. This means that Mesmers studies all different kind of people in Tyria; from Humans, Charr, Sylvari, Skritts, Hyleks, etc., even the undeads of Orr.

Mind control.

If you understand the people’s behavior, you get to control their minds. You can insert ideas that manipulates their abilities by either positive reinforcements to make people do better or take advantage of their fears to make them fail. What Mesmers found in their studies is that although people in Tyria are different, they all share a common fear — that is being outnumbered. Mesmers takes advantage of this fear by forming their magic to create illusions of themselves in battle.

While Elementalist and Necromancers can summon ugly minions, Mesmers only surrounds themselves with pretty people.

idk about pretty…i saw fat charr mesmer in tpvp the other day….
also i saw huge norn mesmer in fractals that was far from being pretty O_O

All is Vain~

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

omg that’s too epic

Glad you like it.

Mind control.

idk about pretty…i saw fat charr mesmer in tpvp the other day….
also i saw huge norn mesmer in fractals that was far from being pretty O_O

Eye of the beholder.

And I’m sure, their mother’s opinion trumps yours. lol :P