Pistol Whip DPS > Sword Autoattack

in Thief

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

I did the numbers on this and the conclusion is that Pistol Whip’s DPS is about 28% more than the Sword Autoattack chain for thief.

I spammed the sword auto attack chain 20 times non-stop and found that I was able to land those in almost exactly 49 seconds.

I spammed Pistol Whip 7 times in a row (because that was the most I could build for) and found I could do this in about 15.8 seconds.

Cast Time of an entire cycle
Time to complete an entire sword auto attack chain is about 2.45 seconds.
The time to complete a pistol whip is about 2.25 seconds.

Damage Coefficients
The total damage coefficient of the auto attack chain is 2.9
Pistol Whip’s damage coefficient = 3.14

Coefficient Per Cycle
Definition: The average damage coefficient throughout an entire skill cycle
Auto attack chain = 1.183673469
Pistol whip = 1.395555556

Coefficient Per Cycle Per Second
Definition: The average damage coefficient inflicted from a skill cycle in 1 second
Auto attack chain = 0.483132028
Pistol whip = .620246914

Coefficient Per Cycle Per Second Percentage
Auto attack chain = 100%
Pistol whip = 128%

I have some margin for error given how I had to collect the data for the Cycle cast times, but it’s unlikely I was off so much that pistol whip would be calculated to be less than 20% more dps than the sword auto attack chain. I hope people find this information helpful.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

I never thought the swords autoattack surpassed PW in the first place. I always knew it was a powerful skill.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

I did the numbers on this and the conclusion is that Pistol Whip’s DPS is about 28% more than the Sword Autoattack chain for thief.

I spammed the sword auto attack chain 20 times non-stop and found that I was able to land those in almost exactly 49 seconds.

I spammed Pistol Whip 7 times in a row (because that was the most I could build for) and found I could do this in about 15.8 seconds.

Damage Coefficients

Coefficient Per Cycle

Definition: The average damage coefficient inflicted from a skill cycle in 1 second
Pistol whip = .620246914

Auto attack chain = 100%
Pistol whip = 128%

I have some margin for error given how I had to collect the data for the Cycle cast times, but it’s unlikely I was off so much that pistol whip would be calculated to be less than 20% more dps than the sword auto attack chain. I hope people find this information helpful.

It don’t rly need any calculations to see that just by looking to skill bar and/or damage done on target. It takes about same time to complete pistol whip and auto attack chain (guessing that pistol whip is little faster) but pistol whip damage is higher then all 3 hits of auto attack combined.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in Thief

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

Shouldn’t pistol whip deal more damage than the auto-attack? It costs initiative so it can’t be used forever.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

in Thief

Karolis.4261

Yeah but no worries. Soon they will nerf it so finally it will do less damage then auto attack:D

in Thief

Posted by: Rafahil.2857

Rafahil.2857

I was under the impression that the auto attack chain was better. You also gotta think about the trickery 25 point minor trait that gives 15% extra damage with the auto attack chain and critical strikes 25 point minor trait for another 10%.

in Thief

Posted by: Interceptor.2653

Interceptor.2653

^ Also the basic utility from having Cripple/Weakness on the final hit of the AA chain. There’s a reason why the really skilled S/P players use AA a lot.

Pistol Whip does have some decent burst capability when you combine it with Might and Haste, though.

in Thief

Shockwave.1230

^ Also the basic utility from having Cripple/Weakness on the final hit of the AA chain. There’s a reason why the really skilled S/P players use AA a lot.

Pistol Whip does have some decent burst capability when you combine it with Might and Haste, though.

I just want to highlight that I laughed out loud when I read “That’s why the really skilled S/P players use AA a lot.” Not because it’s not true, but because it’s super funny to have skill associated with auto attacking.

in Thief

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

I just want to highlight that I laughed out loud when I read “That’s why the really skilled S/P players use AA a lot.” Not because it’s not true, but because it’s super funny to have skill associated with auto attacking.

I think he means it in the context of noob players spamming PW, and more skilled players don’t.

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

in Thief

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

I see no problem with PW.
Yes its stronger, but every weaponskill is stronger than the AA, otherwise nobody would use them.
Although the thief have an Inisystem, with that we can use it more than one time, has PW many disadvantages, which make it weak and the thief to an easy target, when someone starts to spam it.

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

in Thief

Posted by: Evilek.5690

Evilek.5690

Damage Coefficients

Coefficient Per Cycle

Pistol whip = .620246914

Auto attack chain = 100%
Pistol whip = 128%

What ?? AA chain has 2.02 and PW has 2.1 i test this 20x = AA has same attack speed as PW
I have no idea where you took 2.25 and 2.45 lol

PW base DMG 1062 + 3.14*AP = 8861 DMG vs 0 armor
AA base DMG 269+269+437=975 + 2,9*AP 8178 DMG vs o armor

PW make 8,5% more DMG, with Trait 12,5% more DMG. If not count base DMG, PW make 0.82% more DMG, and 5.82% more DMG with trait.

Glass cannon Thief in sPvP 2484 a_power

Evilek lvl 80 Charr Thief Why no ?
Fredy Brimstone lvl 80 Mighty Warrior
Oupí lvl 80 Immortal Guardian

(edited by Evilek.5690)

in Thief

Karolis.4261

I was under the impression that the auto attack chain was better. You also gotta think about the trickery 25 point minor trait that gives 15% extra damage with the auto attack chain and critical strikes 25 point minor trait for another 10%.

And both of them apply for any kind of physical damage, not only skill Nr.1 (auto attack chain)

in Thief

Posted by: Rafahil.2857

Rafahil.2857

And both of them apply for any kind of physical damage, not only skill Nr.1 (auto attack chain)

Yes, but if you use any skill besides the auto attack you will lose initiative which will diminish the bonus damage from the traits. Thus it’s better to just use the auto attack in most cases unless you really need the evade from PW, because that’s one of the very few reasons to use PW imo.

in Thief

Shockwave.1230

Damage Coefficients

Coefficient Per Cycle

Pistol whip = .620246914

Auto attack chain = 100%
Pistol whip = 128%

What ?? AA chain has 2.02 and PW has 2.1 i test this 20x = AA has same attack speed as PW
I have no idea where you took 2.25 and 2.45 lol

PW base DMG 1062 + 3.14*AP = 8861 DMG vs 0 armor
AA base DMG 269+269+437=975 + 2,9*AP 8178 DMG vs o armor

PW make 8,5% more DMG, with Trait 12,5% more DMG. If not count base DMG, PW make 0.82% more DMG, and 5.82% more DMG with trait.

Glass cannon Thief in sPvP 2484 a_power

All the numbers are there, the cycle time for the skills is calculated by dividing the time it takes to complete them by the number of attack cycles.

(edited by Shockwave.1230)