Pistol mastery

Pistol mastery

in Thief

Posted by: vonbek.4810

vonbek.4810

Sorry if this has been asked before but is the trait Pistol Mastery: +10% Damage With Pistols broken?

I am not seeing the damage change at all on the tooltip I thought it only took effect in combat but there is no change to the damage on the tooltip there either.

Pistol mastery

in Thief

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

This trait works. Majority of +X% damage traits don’t sum up damage on tooltips (actually, does any of them do this?).

Signed, level 1 alt

Pistol mastery

in Thief

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

Yep it works, but they really should merge this trait with ricotched or something.

Pistol mastery

in Thief

Posted by: vonbek.4810

vonbek.4810

Ok thanks for the answer, Really good idea merging it with ricochet btw!

Pistol mastery

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Remember that “damage” means that the armor of the target was included into the calculation — meaning, the “+10% damage” will not show on your skill tool tip because the “armor” factor is not included in the tool tip.

I can’t verify this, but it seems to me, based solely on my observation, that the “+10%” is added after your “weapon * power * skill” were divided by the target’s armor.

Basically, you take the numbers from your skill tool tip, divide that by the target’s armor, then add 10%, that’s your net damage.

If you look here:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_Wiki:Damage_calculation

The part where it shows:

Weapon strength * Power * Skill coefficient

That’s the number that shows in your tool tip.

GL, hope this helps.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Pistol mastery

in Thief

Posted by: xmtrcv.5236

xmtrcv.5236

Pistol Mastery should add Piercing also. ;) Just saying…

Damage Dolly
we all began as something else

(edited by xmtrcv.5236)

Pistol mastery

in Thief

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Pistol mastery

in Thief

Cyhann.2609

Pistol Mastery should add Piercing also. Just saying…

But ricotched is way better than piercing.

Pistol mastery

in Thief

xmtrcv.5236

Depends on who you are fighting and who they are hiding behind. Honestly, for as lackluster as Pistol main-hand is, we should have the option for both.

Chance to pierce (%50) + chance to Ricochet.

Damage Dolly

Pistol mastery

in Thief

Cyhann.2609

Depends on who you are fighting and who they are hiding behind. Honestly, for as lackluster as Pistol main-hand is, we should have the option for both.

Sounds fun, but it might be to much RNG dependent then.

Pistol mastery

in Thief

xmtrcv.5236

How so? Pierce might give you the second chance to hit someone (behind your target) that Ricochet might not have given you. :)

It also helps in that (with Pierce) now you don’t have to worry so much about your positioning around pets, clones, etc. or accepting a reduced chance to hit your intended target (that is behind them).

Damage Dolly

Pistol mastery

in Thief

Cyhann.2609

How so? Pierce might give you the second chance to hit someone (behind your target) that Ricochet might not have given you.

It also helps in that (with Pierce) now you don’t have to worry so much about your positioning around pets, clones, etc. or accepting a reduced chance to hit your intended target (that is behind them).

Wait, I thought with Ricotched the Projectiles work like the Shortbows aa, which would mean that it would hit the nearest enemy as long as he is in range, no matter
where he stands.

Pistol mastery

in Thief

xmtrcv.5236

How so? Pierce might give you the second chance to hit someone (behind your target) that Ricochet might not have given you. :)

Wait, I thought with Ricotched the Projectiles work like the Shortbows aa, which would mean that it would hit the nearest enemy as long as he is in range, no matter
where he stands.

Setup…
Mesmer clone/phantasm is directly in front of you.
Fruity Mesmer player is creeping behind clone/phantasm.

Situation 1: No Ricochet
You shoot Mesmer clone; Mesmer clone takes damage; Mesmer player is safe.

Situation 2: I haz Ricochet! (Pistol shots have a 50% chance to bounce to an additional target.)
You shoot Mesmer clone; Mesmer clone takes damage; 50% chance Mesmer player takes damage from a Ricochet.

Situation 3: I haz Ricochet! (and if Pistol Master had 50% chance to Pierce)
You shoot Mesmer clone; Mesmer clone takes damage; 50% chance Mesmer player takes damage from a Ricochet or a Pierce.

Maybe the bullet did not Ricochet, but it could Pierce. Or vice versa. Or RNG could hate you and just stop at the Mesmer clone.

That means a 50% chance for either a Ricochet or Pierce off the Mesmer clone, not a 100% chance guaranteed that it will be one of those two.

Or at least that’s how I am imagining it. In a perfect world, I want both. :p

Damage Dolly

Pistol mastery

in Thief

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

How so? Pierce might give you the second chance to hit someone (behind your target) that Ricochet might not have given you.

where he stands.

Setup…

Situation 2: I haz Ricochet! (Pistol shots have a 50% chance to bounce to an additional target.)
You shoot Mesmer clone; Mesmer clone takes damage; 50% chance Mesmer player takes damage from a Ricochet.

You shoot Mesmer clone; Mesmer clone takes damage; 50% chance Mesmer player takes damage from a Ricochet or a Pierce.

Maybe the bullet did not Ricochet, but it could Pierce. Or vice versa. Or RNG could hate you and just stop at the Mesmer clone.

That means a 50% chance for either a Ricochet or Pierce off the Mesmer clone, not a 100% chance guaranteed that it will be one of those two.

But neither of those have an internal cooldown, so theoretically each shot that pierces would have a chance to ricochet to up to 3 additional targets per target hit by the initial shot AND the pierced shots (don’t forget that piercing can hit up to 5 targets). In turn, these ricochet’d shots would ALSO pierce since they inherit the original attack’s attributes and abilities, and create new chances for even more ricochets and more piercing since each bullet is a new element in the chain (sort of like how each individual meteor in a meteor shower can separately hit up to 5 targets).

Now apply this to something like headshot + perplexity runes. You can already interrupt multiple targets from your ricochet’d headshots. If you added piercing, one person could feasibly cripple an entire zerg simply by spamming headshot.

(edited by TeamBattleAxe.3901)

Pistol mastery

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Yep it works, but they really should merge this trait with ricotched or something.

How do you guys come up with such good ideas? We should let Anet know this.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Pistol mastery

in Thief

Cyhann.2609

where he stands.

Setup…

And yet Ricotchet > Pierce:
Mesmer stands behind the Clone, in a line with your shot, Ricotched and Pierce would
hit him. Mesmer stands right to the clone, not in a line with your shot, only Ricotched
would hit him. But of course having both is always better, and would actually fit the thief.

A bullet which splits into two when it hits an enemy, and then travels on to other enemies.

Pistol mastery

in Thief

Posted by: randomly.6395

randomly.6395

Ricochet and pierce? So if I pierce 5 targets and 3 of them produce a ricochet, how did I suddenly end up with 4 bullets?

Pistol mastery

in Thief

xmtrcv.5236

where he stands.

Setup…

And yet Ricotchet > Pierce:
Mesmer stands behind the Clone, in a line with your shot, Ricotched and Pierce would
hit him. Mesmer stands right to the clone, not in a line with your shot, only Ricotched
would hit him. But of course having both is always better, and would actually fit the thief.

A bullet which splits into two when it hits an enemy, and then travels on to other enemies.

I completely agree that Ricochet > Pierce (if we had it). We don’t and I can understand why. Most likely, because of Ricochet and Pierce would be OP unless there were some limits or diminishing returns set in place, because of things like Headshot and Perplexity runes. :p

Damage Dolly

Pistol mastery

in Thief

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

Ricochet and pierce? So if I pierce 5 targets and 3 of them produce a ricochet, how did I suddenly end up with 4 bullets?

Signed, level 1 alt