Playing as a non thief.

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

So i have been doing some SPVP and TPVP lately and tried some other classes…guardian….necro…engineer. and i notice something

i cant stand having thieves on my team. everytime i have thieves on my team they are annoying…useless half the time…and we lose. they cant cap….they cant bunker…. the thing they do well is double team and kill fast. other than that i dont see a use for them. i have come to prefer…having 0 thieves on my team.

let me state i usually only play thief…and like 99% of the time. but wanted a refreshing perspective on wvw/pvp. its insane how bad thieves are in spvp/tpvp. if you look at it if people were to 1v1…yeah i guess thieves can do ok.. even well with good matchups. they arent underpowerd by any means. they are just not useful in team play.

the best team skill they have is probably caltrops. i would say shadow refuge but we all know stealth is bad in spvp/tpvp. Black powder is decent but too small to be a team skill….

again im not cracking on thieves…. it hink we some team play love from the devs.

p.s. engineer is insane. i cant lose to thief and im new.

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

I love my necromancer to death. Yeah I main and love my thief more, but I love the hell out of my necromancer. Haven’t done anything competitive on my Guard yet and Im gearing my engineer. But sheesh engineers seem to be the king of fights. Insane 1v1 capabilites in the form of aoe and painful conditions. When you get their health low, the can just overcharge+explode turret+magnetic shield+rocket boots to burst their health really high from a low point. An engineer my skill level or better is a near impossible match against my thief, my necromancer on the other hand….let’s just say giving a necromancer painful conditions is never a good idea.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

mmm but my point is how useless and bad thieves are in spvp/tpvp.

you can set them up to be amazing 1v1 players but that really hurts teams. they die from aoe dmg from multiple players…. orthey go invis and ruin capping progress….or they hide….or back out to heal…. or at the best counterbalance by taking a straggler…which doesnt put you in the positive collumn…just keeps them busy.

AOE dmg and AOE heals and CC classes are actually usefull.

necro, engineer, warrior, guardian are the best and most used classes in spvp/tpvp. i dont understand why anet cant makethief a team player. his 1v1 skills arent even superior anymore. they USED TO be but that was a trade off for low defense. now we have low defense and lost our trade off.

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

not to mention the 66% crit dmg cap in spvp is biased against thieves bc they rely so heavily on it.

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Aerious.1965

Aerious.1965

So i have been doing some SPVP and TPVP lately and tried some other classes…guardian….necro…engineer. and i notice something

i cant stand having thieves on my team. everytime i have thieves on my team they are annoying…useless half the time…and we lose. they cant cap….they cant bunker…. the thing they do well is double team and kill fast. other than that i dont see a use for them. i have come to prefer…having 0 thieves on my team.

let me state i usually only play thief…and like 99% of the time. but wanted a refreshing perspective on wvw/pvp. its insane how bad thieves are in spvp/tpvp. if you look at it if people were to 1v1…yeah i guess thieves can do ok.. even well with good matchups. they arent underpowerd by any means. they are just not useful in team play.

the best team skill they have is probably caltrops. i would say shadow refuge but we all know stealth is bad in spvp/tpvp. Black powder is decent but too small to be a team skill….

again im not cracking on thieves…. it hink we some team play love from the devs.

p.s. engineer is insane. i cant lose to thief and im new.

Let me guess… You play d/p or d/d… You have 30 in SA.. You run full Zerker… You rely on stealth as your only survivability.. You run x/30/30/x/x..

This is why 95% of thieves suck the D in sPvP and tPvP. People simply can not find a way to build, and modify out side of the basic cookie cutter builds.

On my s/d 0 SA build I can out bunk most guards, and engis while holding a point. Instead of relying on stealth, why not rely on dodging and mobility? Its a well known fact that you can’t cap a point in stealth, so why in God’s name would run a build that is in stealth 80% of the fight. I swear people just don’t learn, or even use there brain enough to think on their own.

If you can hold a point vs 2 people for 30 seconds WITHOUT being in stealth 80% of the time, you are no longer a detrimental part of the team. It takes one simple call out of “2 at home” or where ever you are posted, and you should have a teammate rotate there in less than 30 seconds. If they can’t seem to do that, it sounds like you need a new team.

Rapture
Worst Ele NA
Maguuma – XOXO

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

So, don’t know what other thieves do in sPvP, the only way I find my self usefull (as a thief) is (and i run P/D condi/bleed):
- “Backcapping”, provided the mobility (and lack of “Frontcapping” ability), I usually steal points when people are roaming in zergs (and they do sometimes). Should there be 1-2 enemies i can usually hold my ground until some backup arrives at which point the decision to stay or ditch is made (if it’s their backup and not mine).
- Making fights unfair. If I see a fight happening while traveling between two points and if I know that i can step in and unbalance it in our favor, i will. (So if there’s a 1v1 duel going on, I would step in, that sorta thing).

:\ That’s the only ways I find my self useful on the team. (Not so uncommon to be on as top of the winning team either, or 2nd place.)

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

thief job isn’t to hold points, their job is to roam

what is roaming?
- create outnumbered situation very fast in team fights no matter where at map
- drop target very fast in team fight thus accomplishing the above point
- decap/backcap
- secure objectives
- deny objectives to enemy team
- counter enemy thief or any glass/decapping enemy
- prevent enemy rez with interrupts/cleave
- prevent enemy from stomping teammate with interupts/refuge

as far as engi goes, that class and zerker guard are pretty much counter to thieves but can be killed if played right

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Its common knowledge in soloq that the team with more thiefs generally loses. A bad thief is dead weight compared to a tanky hambow war, bunker guard, mm necro or condi necro, spirit ranger which and still be quite effective for basically no effort at all.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

vincecontix.1264

So, don’t know what other thieves do in sPvP, the only way I find my self usefull (as a thief) is (and i run P/D condi/bleed):
- "Backcapping", provided the mobility (and lack of "Frontcapping" ability), I usually steal points when people are roaming in zergs (and they do sometimes). Should there be 1-2 enemies i can usually hold my ground until some backup arrives at which point the decision to stay or ditch is made (if it’s their backup and not mine).
- Making fights unfair. If I see a fight happening while traveling between two points and if I know that i can step in and unbalance it in our favor, i will. (So if there’s a 1v1 duel going on, I would step in, that sorta thing).

:\ That’s the only ways I find my self useful on the team. (Not so uncommon to be on as top of the winning team either, or 2nd place.)

The only time playing a pd condi thief works is in hot join or if you are playing against terribads with bad builds in soloQ but I guess its can work out sometimes because most the gw2 pop suck at this game. I do play pd bleed thief for fun sometimes with success but as I stated it only works due to other players incompetence not because its a viable option for thief.

Thiefs currently has to glass cannon to really be helpful to his team, even then you will have to put in much more effort than people playing bunker, tanky condi, ai builds of the other classes.

At same time I am glad thief isn’t as faceroll as some of the other classes and I love killing other thiefs when I am on a different class.

Isle of Janthir

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

@vince
Yeah I don’t do tournys, I get enough out of (hot-join) sPvP. tPvP/Higher-level, I will leave it to other people to deal with.
“only works due to other players incompetence” – yup! there’s plenty of those, even more in WvW (ever noticed where the majority of thief QQ’s come from…?). It’s sad, but that’s the reality.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Form.8741

Form.8741

I don’t understand what people don’t understand about thief not being able to do enough damage to KILL anybody at all if they don’t go full zerk in PVP and mostly zerk/valk/etc. crit% in WvW. We don’t have high enough base damage to NOT go damage builds. PVT thief is as impotent as healthief is as impotent as any other combination that does not have crit buffs.

We are a CRIT profession, because our base damage is no better than any others and maybe worse than a few, and because everyone else is so much more survivable one way or another than us (more HP or more defense or more defensive buffs/heals/etc.) by default…and all of our survivability skills require active skill/effort and good timing that the others don’t need (they just spam through the skill list over and over with each CD).

The systems that the other professions have all allow them to fully heal from all the damage a non-crit-based thief can do, meaning the only way a thief can win is if the enemy forgets to heal at all for the entire fight…which, plain and simple, doesn’t happen with any decent player. Thief has to use so many evades/etc. for survival and its own active heals that it can’t be applying pressure 100% of the time. Anytime there’s a lull is an easy time for others to heal/regen/etc.

Therefore, until heals get nerfed for other professions, thief will never be able to do enough damage without crit % to kill ANYBODY who isn’t a total nub.

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Generally, most thieves play selfish builds but we’re not excluded from team play. You also have to look at the various styles of team play, it isn’t always just aoe’s and party boons.

For example, there can be a support ele or guardian in a group fight. Thief can pressure them into backing off and staying alive rather than keeping tabs on which of their allies needs help, effectively opening the door for the thief’s allies to more easily handle whats in front of them. Whether it be boon stripping, constant cc effects like daze or stun, or just general burst. It would be nice if we had more suitable group roles (as in buffing venom share and aoe stealth affects or boon sharing) but for 2 more weeks, we must deal the cards we’re dealt.

In pve its entirely different, and overall thief isn’t in the best place for team play in terms of what is needed and what is effective. Not to say thief CAN’T play pve dungeons, but there are better substitutes that have less risk in playing them. Full zerker thieves are a joke, and often I will refuse to help rally them when I notice how bad they play, idk who on earth still brings full zerk thief to fotm 40+ but they need to l2p. Being dead = 0 dps, and no one is immune to all hits for eternity. Full zerker/burst thieves in pvp are also a joke, and often I just let them kill themselves when they spam hs.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

(edited by NinjaEd.3946)

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

Personally I’ve played Guardian, Mesmer, Engineer and even Warrior a lot lately.

And every time I change traits on any of these I feel amazed by how many viable ways to customize and personalize builds there are. In this order where I feel I have most options: Guardian > Engineer > Mesmer > Warrior.

Thieves used to be the same about a year ago, but after all nerfs and minor buffs thrown around, we are now stuck with 10/30/0/x/x, there are other builds out there that are fun to play and personal, but often they are underperforming and doesn’t feel competitive enough, and I don’t have this feeling when trying builds alternate to the meta builds on the classes I mentioned.

For a thief to do well in higher level tpvp these days he needs a huge amount of experience and always stick to his tasks, most thieves lack one of either.

Some say “oh yieah imma bunker on ma feef, S/D dodge spam trololol, for murica!”
And it requires a ridiculous amount of effort to do this well, and it’s highly counterable by others if they are good at timing attacks between the thiefs evade frames. Why waste time on this, when you could just roll a guardian, and follow the same rotations as always not even watching out for what’s flying around.

Thieves driving away damage dealers? I one shot the remaining hp a thief has with my shatter mesmer if the berserker lands his whirl. I kill most classes way quicker with my mesmer than with my thief, at the cost of that I will face more hard counters than I do with say D/P thief. Ah, and allow me to log my meditation guardian, incredible burst and survival and I can do multiple tasks depending on where I’m needed, while on thief I have to scout and think “hmm will I manage to take down that guy(any class except elementalist and thief) at the treb?”.

So where does thieves actually excel? From my perspective it’s just the shortbow #5 that can shortcut around the map with ease and many of these shortcuts could even be considered glitches. Highest sustained mobility, no doubt about that, this allows them to get across the map quickly to decap, but 1v1’s usually lead to outdrawn fights and you will often have to leave the capture point to let it go to the enemy’s favor just because it doesn’t take much AoE and you go down, and 1v2 is hardly possible unlike on engineer and guardian. In Xv1(+x) thieves however bring a lot of tools that will make the targeted player go down with ease, they also bring steady AoE but not any heavy burst unless S/P with its small cleave area.

I like high risk high reward, and this is the main reason why I was sticking on my thief for almost a year. But after playing a lot and learning the alternative professions,
I’ve started feeling that I can have higher reward at lower risk most of the time, this makes it feel bad to play thief. The only positive thing is that the curve is quite steady on thief, there are not really any hard-counters as I’ve faced on other classes. But there are counter-heavy things like Necromancer, Engineer, Guardians etc.

That’s all for me.

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

People like to pretend they can play thief. The truth is that most of these players cannot.

Glass thief is a build with one of the highest skill floors in the game.

This is also why you simply see permastealth crap in WvW. Because these players cannot play thief if it wasn’t for SA and Shadow’s Rejuvenation carrying them.

Its also why I’m a huge proponent of nerfing/removing Shadow Arts/Shadow’s Rejuvenation, just like how good mesmers are in favor of nerfing/removing Prismatic Understanding, and good Engineers are in favor of nerfing/removing Automated Response. They’re all broken and cheesy traits that carry far too many bad players.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

(edited by Reikou.7068)

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

People like to pretend they can play thief. The truth is that most of these players cannot.

Glass thief is a build with one of the highest skill floors in the game.

This is also why you simply see permastealth crap in WvW. Because these players cannot play thief if it wasn’t for SA and Shadow’s Rejuvenation carrying them.

Its also why I’m a huge proponent of nerfing/removing Shadow Arts/Shadow’s Rejuvenation, just like how good mesmers are in favor of nerfing/removing Prismatic Understanding, and good Engineers are in favor of nerfing/removing Automated Response. They’re all broken and cheesy traits that carry far too many bad players.

kitten , so many self proclaimed “good players” throwing mocarellas left and right.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

I come back and I haven’t seen this much self glorification since, never

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

- “Backcapping”, provided the mobility (and lack of “Frontcapping” ability), I usually steal points when people are roaming in zergs (and they do sometimes). Should there be 1-2 enemies i can usually hold my ground until some backup arrives at which point the decision to stay or ditch is made (if it’s their backup and not mine).

The only time playing a pd condi thief works is in hot join or if you are playing against terribads with bad builds in soloQ but I guess its can work out sometimes because most the gw2 pop suck at this game. I do play pd bleed thief for fun sometimes with success but as I stated it only works due to other players incompetence not because its a viable option for thief.

Thiefs currently has to glass cannon to really be helpful to his team, even then you will have to put in much more effort than people playing bunker, tanky condi, ai builds of the other classes.

At same time I am glad thief isn’t as faceroll as some of the other classes and I love killing other thiefs when I am on a different class.

actually no …i play 10 30 0 0 30…and many other builds. only 1 out of liek 6 of my builds runs 30 in shadow arts. another 2 run 10 and 3 run 0 SA. so you are quite far off in your assumptions. i am a good dueler…. i play a lil bit of spvp but mostly wvw as its not biased against thief class. and a bit of PVE too. full ascended full legendaries…11k AP. im no nub.

point is….thief is hiding to heal…can only fight in the most opportune of times. 2v1s 3v2s. 2v2s. but when it comes to 3v3 or 5v5 or 2v3….hes at a very severe disadvantage due to incidental/collateral dmg from other players AOEs/attacks. their dmg isnt high enough like in wvw where it counterbalances there defense shortcomings. and their hp is so low that they get crushed by dmg. dont get me wrong they can fight well…just with a few asterisks on the comment. stealth is also completely horrible as it doesnt allow you to cap…and without stealth there is no condi removal…. i mean i cant consider 3 condi removal from SS enough to call it a removal part of class.

i played a short couple matches on mesmer and duels. it was so relaxing. stealthign…letting my clones do the dmg and conditions. i seriously only do a small part of the work. its more about timing them when to do what. dont even need a target. and who cares wha happens to them. i remake them in a moment.

engineer too. so much healing. condi control on offense and defense and dare i say more dodges on my build than my thief. plus aoe dmg and hes constantly using a skill…its like theres no cooldown.

TLDR: thief is so usless compared to other classes in spvp. they are single faceted fighters. burst dmg. nothing else is usefull on a thief. even burst dmg is mediocre bc of the cap which limits them as a class and biased as well due to their sshortcomings being a product of attacking prowess.

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

any class can do that. every class can do that. its good tactics…but what you are talking about is nothign to do with thief. well in a way its limited to your tactics bc thief cant do what other classes can. but other classes can do what thief can. anyone can back cap or hop in on 1v1 2v2’s. but you are right. thief is best utilized with p/d as they can put pressure on points or hold ground longer. u can hold a point with d/p d/d or s/d or even s/p for more than 10 secs without being downed or invis.

my engineer can literally hold a point on 2v1 for 45 secs. its insane. warrior pretty good at that too …although i notice with warrior i do better in groups traveling and putting down dmg on players.

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

I don’t understand what people don’t understand about thief not being able to do enough damage to KILL anybody at all if they don’t go full zerk in PVP and mostly zerk/valk/etc. crit% in WvW. We don’t have high enough base damage to NOT go damage builds. PVT thief is as impotent as healthief is as impotent as any other combination that does not have crit buffs.

We are a CRIT profession, because our base damage is no better than any others and maybe worse than a few, and because everyone else is so much more survivable one way or another than us (more HP or more defense or more defensive buffs/heals/etc.) by default…and all of our survivability skills require active skill/effort and good timing that the others don’t need (they just spam through the skill list over and over with each CD).

The systems that the other professions have all allow them to fully heal from all the damage a non-crit-based thief can do, meaning the only way a thief can win is if the enemy forgets to heal at all for the entire fight…which, plain and simple, doesn’t happen with any decent player. Thief has to use so many evades/etc. for survival and its own active heals that it can’t be applying pressure 100% of the time. Anytime there’s a lull is an easy time for others to heal/regen/etc.

Therefore, until heals get nerfed for other professions, thief will never be able to do enough damage without crit % to kill ANYBODY who isn’t a total nub.

really nicely stated! and the crit cap puts thieves at a disadvantage in spvp. they have no defense really no invuln no blocks no protection no aegis no stability no high hp no high armor no high tnoughens..(u get the point) bc of the dmg we can do….. COULD DO….if were not for a cap. so a thieves usefullness lies in the dmg it can do. thats it. nothign else really. caltrops is the only skill they ahve that can put pressure on a point… and thats not enough without pulse dmg too. so if they cap crit dmg thief loses its edge on dmg….whereas it doesnt get made up for in defense.

for example. some people are simple enough to think “well it affects all players so its fair…no one class gets outed”…. a very narrow minded perspective or ignorant.

if you reverse this….look at it this way…pretend theres no crit dmg cap but there IS a defense cap. so lets say defense was capped so players couldnt run super bunker and be trolls. so all classes have a cap on defense. so it is fair right? no one class is outed? well look at it this way. it wont affect thief at all bc its nowhere near cap. but warrior/guardian/engineer/ele those classes are affected according to build but usually the more tanky. so now the thief can kill them even easier. but the thief is unnafected. the warrior/guardians bright spot (defense) is lower but their offense gains nothign for this loss. therefor THEY are hurt worse than thief.

the exact same thing happens but in offense with the crit cap

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: TehHobNob.4687

TehHobNob.4687

Check out team Disney Channel. They have been wining recent big tournaments. Caed is their d/p thief. Always at the top of the leader boards. Yeah those don’t say much about how much you actually did but still. He does a great job that is hard to do. For the most part that job takes more coordination and teamwork than playing on a bunker. You have to manage the map and figure out where to be at what time.

Pancakes
Thief

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

Check out team Disney Channel. They have been wining recent big tournaments. Caed is their d/p thief. Always at the top of the leader boards. Yeah those don’t say much about how much you actually did but still. He does a great job that is hard to do. For the most part that job takes more coordination and teamwork than playing on a bunker. You have to manage the map and figure out where to be at what time.

Actually, almost all decent teams atm run a thief. Not just twrk.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

so a thieves usefullness lies in the dmg it can do. thats it. nothign else really. caltrops is the only skill they ahve that can put pressure on a point… and thats not enough without pulse dmg too. so if they cap crit dmg thief loses its edge on dmg….

They already stated from the very beginning that they will not change crit-damage in PvP, as they feel it’s in a good spot there already. Thus, it will not affect Thief (or any other class) in PvP at all.

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

vincecontix.1264

actually no …i play 10 30 0 0 30…and many other builds. only 1 out of liek 6 of my builds runs 30 in shadow arts. another 2 run 10 and 3 run 0 SA. so you are quite far off in your assumptions. i am a good dueler…. i play a lil bit of spvp but mostly wvw as its not biased against thief class. and a bit of PVE too. full ascended full legendaries…11k AP. im no nub.

point is….thief is hiding to heal…can only fight in the most opportune of times. 2v1s 3v2s. 2v2s. but when it comes to 3v3 or 5v5 or 2v3….hes at a very severe disadvantage due to incidental/collateral dmg from other players AOEs/attacks. their dmg isnt high enough like in wvw where it counterbalances there defense shortcomings. and their hp is so low that they get crushed by dmg. dont get me wrong they can fight well…just with a few asterisks on the comment. stealth is also completely horrible as it doesnt allow you to cap…and without stealth there is no condi removal…. i mean i cant consider 3 condi removal from SS enough to call it a removal part of class.

i played a short couple matches on mesmer and duels. it was so relaxing. stealthign…letting my clones do the dmg and conditions. i seriously only do a small part of the work. its more about timing them when to do what. dont even need a target. and who cares wha happens to them. i remake them in a moment.

engineer too. so much healing. condi control on offense and defense and dare i say more dodges on my build than my thief. plus aoe dmg and hes constantly using a skill…its like theres no cooldown.

TLDR: thief is so usless compared to other classes in spvp. they are single faceted fighters. burst dmg. nothing else is usefull on a thief. even burst dmg is mediocre bc of the cap which limits them as a class and biased as well due to their sshortcomings being a product of attacking prowess.

I was referring to the spvp for wvw obviously thing’s are very different.

Isle of Janthir

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

Norn thief is probably the best, especially when you take feline grace, energy sigils, rune of adventurer and pretty much have perma vigor. Best class to annoy and troll people. I dare say this is better than bunker guard because you don’t need to mitigate damage or knock people off from points they will simply pull their hair out from all the evades on their screen.

edit: Oops, I misread the thread as NORN thief.

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

so a thieves usefullness lies in the dmg it can do. thats it. nothign else really. caltrops is the only skill they ahve that can put pressure on a point… and thats not enough without pulse dmg too. so if they cap crit dmg thief loses its edge on dmg….

They already stated from the very beginning that they will not change crit-damage in PvP, as they feel it’s in a good spot there already. Thus, it will not affect Thief (or any other class) in PvP at all.

right… i know this. i suggested on other threads one or a few of the following.

1) give thief more ports
2) give thief more access to blinds
3) give thief 2nd tier base HP
4) give thief access to parry with sword/dagger offhand or something of the such

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

i just played on my engineer for 30 + matchesin a row. i switched servers to make sure it would be a better sample population too.

there were about 12 matches with atleast 2 thieves. the team with 2+ thieves lost 100% of all matches.

where there were 1 thief on a team and – thieves on a team….the team with the thief lost 85%+ of the time.

when there was an even amount of thieves on each team i did not bother noting the results as they would be non relevant.

this isnt just 30 matches that i found this to be true but as a general statistic/truth. thief is always hiding, dodge, stealthing, or running out of dmg area. they cant hold a point or stay alive long enough in larger fights (3+ enemies)…. they are a huge risk to every team and when i play spvp/tpvp i make sure there are no thieves on my team if possible OR….1 max. if there are 2+ i know i am going to lose.

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

Thieves used to be the same about a year ago, but after all nerfs and minor buffs thrown around, we are now stuck with 10/30/0/x/x, there are other builds out there that are fun to play and personal, but often they are underperforming and doesn’t feel competitive enough, and I don’t have this feeling when trying builds alternate to the meta builds on the classes I mentioned.

I haven’t seen a 10/30/30/0/0 build in quite a while honestly.(N.b. you don’t have to type x since with that setup, you don’t have room for more trait points). Most people run alternatives now since shadow arts is crap in pvp …

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I love my necromancer to death. Yeah I main and love my thief more, but I love the hell out of my necromancer. Haven’t done anything competitive on my Guard yet and Im gearing my engineer. But sheesh engineers seem to be the king of fights. Insane 1v1 capabilites in the form of aoe and painful conditions. When you get their health low, the can just overcharge+explode turret+magnetic shield+rocket boots to burst their health really high from a low point. An engineer my skill level or better is a near impossible match against my thief, my necromancer on the other hand….let’s just say giving a necromancer painful conditions is never a good idea.

Yeah my Necro is my favorite as well for spvp and just genocides everything. Venom Share is a pretty helpful team build to run as Thief that can win games, a lot of people never see or understand it though and can get annoying if your allies aren’t fighting correctly (battling way off the point, doing something stupid solo and so on). Other than that I just use my Necro and run the condition streetsweeper. Or Warrior if I feel like winning with no effort and taking 0 dmg.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

thieves in spvp :v

let’s skip how unbalanced match making in spvp is…

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Playing as a non thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

I haven’t seen a 10/30/30/0/0 build in quite a while honestly.(N.b. you don’t have to type x since with that setup, you don’t have room for more trait points). Most people run alternatives now since shadow arts is crap in pvp …

You do realize that his example has 0 in Shadow Arts and thus typing x makes perfect sense, right? ^^