Please Fix: Last Refuge

in Thief

Posted by: XPGAMER.7324

XPGAMER.7324

The trait 5 points in Shadow arts “Last refuge” needs to be changed. This trait stealths you when you hit 25% health by droping a blinding powder. However (And I’m not the only thief with this problem), it will even activate mid attack. So for example, you realize your health is getting low so you go to cloak and dagger an enemy, so you can stealth to get regen, blind, escape, or other things depending on your build. During the middle of this cast, before Cloak and Dagger deals its direct damage, blinding powder triggers due to last refuge, and cloak and dagger then reveals you because you “attacked from stealth”, and then you die because enemies kill you and you can’t use stealth like you had planned. There is no abillity to cancel casting the cloak and dagger before this trait activates because there is absolutely no warning aside from knowing that you are about to get hit below 25% health (Which is very hard to predict how much damage an enemy is about to do to you in a fraction of a second) Now normally I’d say it’s kind of a tough luck scenario, but you can’t even choose to not have that trait. If you plan on taking any traits in Shadow arts, you MUST have that minor trait.

I’d like to suggest a few ways that anet could easily solve this problem:

1. Change it to a special blinding powder, that doesn’t activate while casting a skill, or has a 1 second internal delay before it can reveal you. Perhaps the second part of that statement could be exploited, but the first would greatly help fix this issue. It seems to me like a do-able change.

2. Introduce a new minor trait to replace last refuge. This would be very interesting to see accomplished, and it would definately make the thief a bit more interesting if it had something new.

3. Swap it with one of the adept traits, so that it is a choice to have, rather than forcing it upon players that want to use shadow arts. I’d recommend swapping it with one of these traits:

-Shadow protector; as an already underused trait, switching this and last refuge would aid greatly in fixing this problem, while not giving thieves much extra power. Nobody would spend 5 points in SA just for that minor trait (At least I wouldn’t think so, doesn’t seem worth it)

-Infusion of Shadow; First off, I’ll admit that this trait in its current state would be overpowered if it was switched with last refuge. However, the nerf coming to this trait makes it much less desirable when combined with the +33% init regen boost we will be getting. Most thieves already plan on switching out that trait as soon as the balance patch hits. Maybe if further balancing was required, you could change it to a 1 init regen upon entering stealth. I can see this being a bit controversial, but I believe it could be implemented properly without giving thieves too much extra power.

-Slowed pulse; I’ve never used this trait in my 1.2k hours as a thief. Not once. Why? Because there are significantly better traits to choose from, so swapping this and last refuge would not greatly increase the strength of the thief class, but would solve the problem.

Any solution at this point is desirable, because I’m getting sick and tired of dying in the middle of a fight because this trait messes me up and reveals me. I am considering not putting any points into shadow arts anymore because of this trait (That is how strongly I hate it), which definately limits how I can build my thief, which seems to be the problem anet is trying to fix by making thieves less dependent on initiative traits. I can’t think of a single good reason why this trait needs to be kept how it is, I mean for 10 points in trickery you can get a very very similar trait called Instinctual Response, that just activates at a lower health threshold. Either way, it seemed like a good idea to make this suggestion as a huge balancing patch is coming out soon, but maybe it will have to wait until the next patch. Any opinions on this?

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Last Refuge NEEDS to be changed. ANet knows this and has for the past entire year. But they’d rather mess around with active and passive Initiative than fix a trait that is broken and results in the Thief’s death more often than not.

I get rage fits about this trait at least once every few days and it makes me curse whoever designed it to hell and back again. In no other MMO, subscription or not, would such an trait be allowed to exist unaltered for so long.

It’s almost like ANet is completely ignorant of it despite us complaining about it for a year. It isn’t helped by the fact that it’s in our most popular and trait-line.

in Thief

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

It is working as intend. I think this trait is a little too weak. They should buff it to “You are immune to Stealth when your health reaches a certain threshold”

All is vain.

in Thief

XPGAMER.7324

Immune to stealth? That’s like a debuff… Why would we want that as a trait lol? The intent of the trait is to save you from near death situations, but in reality it just gets us killed. There needs to be a change. I’m getting tired of this >.>

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

Anet doesn’t give a crap about the thief community. We have been complaining and making suggestions on what we would like to have instead but anet doesn’t listen.

Warriors complain about things and it gets changed in like a month.

Proof that anet does not care about thieves or the people who play them.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

XPGAMER.7324

Doesn’t seem fair at all with what their doing recently. I mean with all the nerfs coming at us u think they’d at least give us a FIX. Its not even a buff, just a fix for a trait thats been “bugged” for a longgggg time now. I’m just getting sick of it, time to roll a necro bc they seem to always be loved. >.>

in Thief

Posted by: SoulSin.5682

SoulSin.5682

I can see two viable ways to fix Last Refuge:

1- Change the Blinding Power Effect to Black Powder Instead

2- Add a self inflicted 1/4s Daze on the Trait. This should cancel/interupt any skill already ungoing without hinder the Thief that much.

I personally I love this minor trait. It has a good synergy with HiS because it gives you time to cast it without being hindered. When you not screw up and get revelead, that is.

in Thief

Posted by: Alrik Vas.3507

Alrik Vas.3507

I agree it should be changed. I think swapping it with a major trait would be the best solution (other than giving us something entirely new).

However, if you can’t play knowing when it’s going to happen and adjusting your style (or even spec), i don’t know what to say. I’m terrible at this game and i think i’ve been “killed” by Last Refuge less than 10 times in a year.

in Thief

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

Seems to me they keep shying away from fixing this as it would require a great deal of work for a proc stealth not to turn into a hinderance so I say forget stealth and have it just apply regen + aegis at 25% life. Simple fix.

in Thief

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

It is working as intend. I think this trait is a little too weak. They should buff it to “You are immune to Stealth when your health reaches a certain threshold”

This xD

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Last Refuge NEEDS to be changed. ANet knows this and has for the past entire year. But they’d rather mess around with active and passive Initiative than fix a trait that is broken and results in the Thief’s death more often than not.

Working as intended.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: kbenton.4915

kbenton.4915

This is my biggest issue right now. Soo terrible.

Yak’s Bend Thief (P/D) [HvC]

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I been wanting this trait fixed/removed since the beginning. God I hate it so much. Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate! And they’re nerfing my trickery sword as if they’re trying to force me back into Shadow Arts so it can continue tormenting me. You’re going to cause me severe emotional trauma, Anet. I’m serious. Fix this thing, please.
This trait makes me hate the entire stealth gimmick, although I’d rather play like my GW1 Assassin anyways. If you’re going to keep revolving Thief around stealth and forcing us to use it you need to do something about this trait.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

honestly, all that needs to be done is to move it to the Adept 10 pointer and move one of those down to the 5. Anyone who wants it can take it, those who don’t are not forced into it.

Boom, problem solved.

in Thief

Posted by: ulcimql.2516

ulcimql.2516

that would be a very smart and senseful fix.

ha! no way they are ever gonna implement something as thoughtful and necessary as that! Here, have another colored plush backpack reskin instead…

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Working as intended.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Thief

Posted by: CrazyCanuck.4265

CrazyCanuck.4265

So for example, you realize your health is getting low so you go to cloak and dagger an enemy, so you can stealth to get regen, blind, escape, or other things depending on your build.

You just figured out your own problem with this sentence… Why in gods name are you going for a cloak and dagger when you know you are getting very low and you know that last refuge is going to proc. Honestly I have no sympathy for people that die because they don’t understand how to use this trait. I have over 2.5k hours on my thief, mostly in WvW or Spvp and I can count the number of times that this trait has killed me on one hand. And even in those circumstances it was my fault. Either I was playing too recklessly or not paying attention to incoming damage etc. The other hundreds of times it has proc’d it has either saved my life or given me an advantage over my opponent in winning the fight. The only time I can see this trait being an issue is if you play so unbelievably glassy and have so little game awareness that you drop from full health to below 25% in the time it takes you to cast an ability, in which case it isn’t the fault of the trait, it is the fault of your build/gear.

Alyrico
Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

So for example, you realize your health is getting low so you go to cloak and dagger an enemy, so you can stealth to get regen, blind, escape, or other things depending on your build.

You just figured out your own problem with this sentence… Why in gods name are you going for a cloak and dagger when you know you are getting very low and you know that last refuge is going to proc. Honestly I have no sympathy for people that die because they don’t understand how to use this trait. I have over 2.5k hours on my thief, mostly in WvW or Spvp and I can count the number of times that this trait has killed me on one hand. And even in those circumstances it was my fault. Either I was playing too recklessly or not paying attention to incoming damage etc. The other hundreds of times it has proc’d it has either saved my life or given me an advantage over my opponent in winning the fight. The only time I can see this trait being an issue is if you play so unbelievably glassy and have so little game awareness that you drop from full health to below 25% in the time it takes you to cast an ability, in which case it isn’t the fault of the trait, it is the fault of your build/gear.

A trait is supposed to help us survive is getting us killed, and it’s somehow our fault. Are you even listening to yourself? This is just bad design, and needs to be fixed.

Actually correction it’s not bad design it’s a BUG. It was coded BEFORE revealed existed so at one point it actually did work as intended.

(edited by Kadin.2356)

in Thief

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

also it has a 60s cooldown, so it might be up, it might not.

in Thief

Posted by: Oxygen.5918

Oxygen.5918

Anet doesn’t give a crap about this. We’ve been posting about it since day 1, to no avail. They went over traits and didn’t touch this, they’ll never change it.

I was the best at burning things. Especially bosses that
didn’t move.

in Thief

Posted by: Surferboy.1649

Surferboy.1649

push, this skill continues to kill us.

in Thief

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

Put a trap in your Shadow Arts line and turned your Acrobatics line into garbage., can’t wait to see Thief shaking the META.

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: Clockwork Bard.3105

Clockwork Bard.3105

Or, alternatively, a tooltip update:

Gain revealed when your health reaches a certain threshold.