Please Remove Wiggle From Dash Animation

in Thief

Posted by: sirjarros.4107

sirjarros.4107

Finally and excitedly unlocked my Dash trait today and was shocked to find myself wiggling around like a spazz as I dashed forward. I really don’t like or need to see my character doing this. Not to mention it doesn’t seem realistic to me.

I can understand that this extra little effect might add the “appearance” of dodging attacks and that some people might like that. But in all honesty, it hurts my eyes and makes me dizzy. It’s even worse when moving backwards.

Perhaps I’ll get used to it. But I was quite happy with how the animation was in BWE3. Can you revert it back to that?

Update: 1 hour of using it and low and behold, I am actually getting used to it! Fancy that. Silly me. lol The sound effect on the animation is pretty cool too. That said, I can see the point Kash.9213 makes below about it causing a positional and orientation challenge.

So while I prefer not wiggling as I Dash, I am certainly able to live with this.

(edited by sirjarros.4107)

in Thief

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I noticed this too and was surprised. I imagine it will grow on me, but a slight decrease the amplitude and frequency. Maybe instead of 3 spikes, a dodge only produces 2. I think they need to play a little with it internally and see how to best modify it. It is very spazy right now, but I’m thinking they were going for an anime look of moving really fast. Kind of like disappearing and reappearing.

Honestly, if they instead took that idea farther and had your character almost vanish for a split second with the dodge, I’d probably like it way more than BW3 one. Like you hope to one side, disappear, reappear on the other side, then again, and dodge done. But that sounds harder to code than simply decreasing the amplitude or frequency of the movement.

in Thief

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

It won’t grow on me, this animation has almost got me killed more than anything. I can’t position or orient myself around my target or stay within the range I need to, basically I can’t stay on top of my target, I have to always play catch up with this Dash animation because it wiggles me away from them and I have to try to snap back.

I also cannot jump and flip into the dodge as with the normal dodge animation which is something I make constant use of and that’s a big hit to me losing that. The other two Elite dodge animations are spot on and work both normally and combined with jump/flip.

Kash
NSP

in Thief

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I kinda like it, but can totally see how it would be confusing to use in a practical situation. They should change it back to a straight dash, but give it some cool “shadow blurry” visuals to it, similar to the new Revenant animation.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Thief

Posted by: GinghamLion.3614

GinghamLion.3614

This was my absolute favorite part of the entire daredevil specialization. That animation is perfect and I don’t want it going anywhere.

Pick bound if you don’t like it. I can’t get enough of how awesome it is.

in Thief

GinghamLion.3614

[quote=5664623;kash.9213:]

in Thief

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

This was my absolute favorite part of the entire daredevil specialization. That animation is perfect and I don’t want it going anywhere.

I won’t pick bound, but I still don’t like this Dash animation. I need the modifiers from it but that animation is anti productive if you’re in the action a lot in WvW and I can’t imagine it’s any easier to not get yourself killed in sPvP the way those maps are designed where it’s already difficult enough to keep within your kill box or on a point.

Kash
NSP

in Thief

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

I love this animation as it is right now. And I had no problem navigating with it no matter the landscape.
Imo that’s like the most well-done part of this spec.

in Thief

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

I won’t pick bound, but I still don’t like this Dash animation. I need the modifiers from it but that animation is anti productive if you’re in the action a lot in WvW and I can’t imagine it’s any easier to not get yourself killed in sPvP the way those maps are designed where it’s already difficult enough to keep within your kill box or on a point.

Woah, hold on. You want a distance change or an animation change? The problems you mentioned still won’t be remedied with a simple animation change. Also, the animation drops you in line with where you started, its nothing but an animation.

in Thief

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

The weave during dash is a great touch <3 it

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in Thief

Posted by: meepeY.2867

meepeY.2867

The Dash Animation is perfectly fine. (Not related to your quote, but:) The wiggle does nothing to alter any distance you travel and is simply just an animation. If you’re upset that Dash is moving you too far away then don’t use it… Or use a weapon set which is good for re-engaging after you create this small distance. Shadow Shot or Infiltrators Strike.

To continue my point further, the whole point of “Dash” is so you create distance for a “bob and weave” style of gameplay; fast and fluid o_o

https://www.twitch.tv/meepeYPlays
WvW Thief Aurora Glade – Mutli Bulid Streamer – 1PM – 4PM GMT, Mon – Fri
My Daredevil Build: The Defender!

in Thief

Posted by: blarghhrrkblah.3412

blarghhrrkblah.3412

I like Dash, but it feels like it oscillates just a bit too much…maybe tone it down by about 25%?

in Thief

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

I like the wiggle, don’t take it away from me

in Thief

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I want to make clear that I am impartial to the animation. I see what they tried to do, and can see how it can be a little strange, but I’m not for spending too much time working on something that works fine. If they decide to do anything it would be to make the shifts look cooler (either mist, or my favorite, disappear and reappear). Don’t waste any time here, unless you are going to make it look even cooler. XD

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

dash wiggle is amazing.

leave it in pls.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Thief

GinghamLion.3614

It won’t grow on me, this animation has almost got me killed more than anything. I can’t position or orient myself around my target or stay within the range I need to, basically I can’t stay on top of my target, I have to always play catch up with this Dash animation because it wiggles me away from them and I have to try to snap back.

I also cannot jump and flip into the dodge as with the normal dodge animation which is something I make constant use of and that’s a big hit to me losing that. The other two Elite dodge animations are spot on and work both normally and combined with jump/flip.

This is simply untrue. It doesn’t wiggle you away from your target. It has the same start and end point as if the animation wasn’t there. If you can’t stay on too of your target, it’s because you’re not used to the extra distance, which is nothing but a huge buff.

Also, you absolutely can jump-dodge with it. And it’s rad.

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

NO! I like the sneakysnake slither.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Zodryn.4216

Zodryn.4216

This is my favorite animation in the game. Please leave it as is.

Side note: did some people really not just go into the mists to try them out? That was the first thing I did at launch, and it inspired me to binge hero points until I unlocked dash because it was so cool.

in Thief

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

The animation has little to do with the distance.
Having said that, the animation is ok and the distance is also ok.
Nothing to see here.

in Thief

Posted by: Saku Joe.2857

Saku Joe.2857

I just love all new dodges anim’
There is no need for a change IMO..

Congratz Anet cunts, u finally made me uninstall your S H I T.

(edited by Saku Joe.2857)

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

(edited by Straegen.2938)

in Thief

Posted by: Xeyon.6419

Xeyon.6419

I like the base dash, but hate the wiggle, and I especially don’t like how it looks with dodge “jumps”. While I see the reasoning for the wiggle, as otherwise a dash wouldnt exactly be a reasonable replacement for a dodge, I do not like how exaggerated and out of place it is. Like was said above, reducing the prominence of the wobble would also make it a fair bit more reasonable.

in Thief

Posted by: Klaugh.7415

Klaugh.7415

It makes maneuvering MORE difficult. And it looks ridiculous.

Remove the wiggle, please.

in Thief

Posted by: Woaden.9425

Woaden.9425

Charr wiggle best wiggle.

+1 in favor of wiggle.

Kole —Thief
youtube

in Thief

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

I like the wiggle but it does have problems, like time I dashed on a narrow ledge and promptly fell off because of that wiggle. Note to self, avoid dashing near cliffs.

in Thief

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

I might like to see the weave improved, make it start at a set width and make the weave less and less wide as the dash happens.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

I am fine with the wiggle.

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

NO! I like the sneakysnake slither.

Agreed

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Howl.2498

Howl.2498

It makes me feel like I’m swimming through the air like a fish. I think it’s a bit odd, but I don’t have any strong feelings against it.

in Thief

Posted by: Zodryn.4216

Zodryn.4216

It makes me feel like I’m swimming through the air like a magical unicorn snake diety. I think it’s a bit odd, but I don’t have any strong feelings against it.

Ftfy…

Also, for those worried about slithering off a cliff, jump dodge is your friend.