Please help with S/D (WvW)

in Thief

Posted by: animalmom.1062

animalmom.1062

Hello,

I have gone through the BS DD/Condi DD/Dagger Pistol and am now going to try Sword/Dagger (with SB)

I generally have issues getting in line and backstabbing people. Maybe I’m just too slow. Anyway I wanted a build that has a lot of “hold still” and isn’t so positional. I thought maybe this is it.

I also found that for me the Black Powder, HS, then backstab just wasn’t reliable (my issue I know because people use it well vs me)

Gear selected for what i have now. Any view on trait/gear selections would be helpful. I have a zerker armor set but I like Valk for the HPs in WvW

I like roll for Initiative as an extra withdraw (also when running away tunring around and withdraw/roll for initiative is a great contact breaker for zergs.

This is the build im trying

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fYEQNAoaVlYmaPncy5E95EyWhKk7hTZUNV3jryqkPA-jkyAYsASQgILAUBwEYR0YLuFRjVvgpKhUnDp2bUEtaA-w

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

if people use it well against you and you are a thief then you just need more practice. mix it up. dodge thru the enemy then withdraw which will put u on his back for insta bs. if u go invis dont chase …just strafe left or right and let him reveal his back. try different things. theres a few videos all ov er online if u just watch the movements of enemies and you can respond accordingly. soon as you get your movements down pat it will be easier to respond/defend against other thieves backstabs. i always say i cant remember the last time i have been backstabbed. itll come. just keep trying. be patient too….rushing gets u killed. the best thieves stay invis a lil longer than your average thief. not because they are scare or playing sissy style….they let the opponent play scared. if u pop out after 1-2 secs everytime it wont be confusing enough or keeping them on their toes.

in Thief

animalmom.1062

thanks for the advice I will try it.

Can yo comment on the S/D build?

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

i run 0 30 20 20 0 and a mix of all bersker armor with beryl orbs and valkrye weapons with force daggers and berkser accs all ascneded ….the ones with the lil bit of vitality on them. i use s/d main and d/p for when it gets too hairy.

in Thief

Posted by: Metamega.9025

Metamega.9025

I noticed yiu said yiu felt slow on the bs, wondering if you have turned melee assist off? This allows yiu to run through the enemy instead of around. That plus right mouse button turning will make you turn really fast

in Thief

animalmom.1062

thanks, yes did do and have always rm turned – i guess i just have to practice

in Thief

Posted by: Bailey.6892

Bailey.6892

I am in the same position as the op, the black poweder hs bs combo and perma stealth do not work for me. I need to find a build that is not as stealth reliant and or positional. Playing one handed atm from a wreck. And am limited to exotic gear.

in Thief

Posted by: Helly.2597

Helly.2597

I switched to S/D build myself, but my build is different in a few ways from the one you’re using. My trait setup is 10/30/0/0/30 for steal dmg and a stun on steal. With the third trait line when I steal I get a minimum 4 boons (fury, swiftness, might, and vigor) along with dmg, lifesteal, and a stun. S/D isn’t really a hold still setup. It has by far the most movement capabilities of the specs. With the 2 ability with the immob and the 3 ability with the flank you are able to (and should be) move constantly. Also as mentioned, you should turn melee assist off since tbh it doesn’t assist in wvw/spvp.

If you are looking for a hold still build I wouldn’t recommend S/D, the whole setup revolves around movement on your part, without good movement you are going to not do so well especially if you are speced zerker like I am.

People call me Hobo.
Violent Tendency [vT]
Ferguson’s Crossing Roamer

in Thief

Posted by: Tikitaka.1340

Tikitaka.1340

I have recorded a couple of duels in WwW, the truth is that they were not very good adversaries in comparison with other duels that exist I begin because with the PC that I play habitually I cannot record since I am united, for this motive I could not have recorded the really handsome and spectacular duels.
A greeting, Tikiitaka Of the order of shades of bay of baruch.
http://youtu.be/Z8ryBvfjuPk