Possible to fix shadow trap?

in Thief

Posted by: slsharpshooter.5631

slsharpshooter.5631

Q:

Here are a few things to fix on my list:

1. The way shadow trap works is BAD, the coding used for shadow trap is the same as shadow step, therefore you cannot teleport successfully back to your trap because you get obstructed by a rock or a wall. Actually let me rephrase that, obstructed by a pebble. Make the function of the trap teleport the same way as mesmer portal. In other words teleport straight to coordinates of the trap NOT teleport until obstructed!

2. If you cant use it as a stunbreak so be it BUT it needs to be an instant cast while being cced. So you could teleport away but you are still cced… Basically dont make it recharge when cced.

3. Add increased ranged or/and increased time. If you are already thinking, this is out balanced the main thing is point 1. If you used this in world vs world, a scouting thief can place shadow trap at a supply camp and be an even more useful tool for commanders. In pvp it can be placed down at a point and be used similarly.

4. If the changes I have suggested are a little outbalanced, you could decrease the cool down of the trap. Not to some insane time like 180. But something reasonable like 90 seconds.

Arena net please reply to this thread so people can see what sort of idea is going ahead for this utility. If this utility worked then we will see a more mobile gameplay of thieves between points in pvp and wvw. But the most important point is 1: the coding or function of the trap needs to be changed. Other traps have almost no use in this game at all. Why would you need to use needle trap or trip wire over shadow refuge or shadowstep?

So. Is it possible to make traps a considerable choice for thieves in PvE and PvP arena net?

(edited by slsharpshooter.5631)

in Thief

Posted by: Marduh.4603

Marduh.4603

Make the function of the trap teleport the same way as mesmer portal.

This.

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

thieves use traps? o.o

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Thief

Posted by: Azraelle.1683

Azraelle.1683

Make the function of the trap teleport the same way as mesmer portal.

This.

No. Arenanet have stated that thief class uses separate mechanic called “shadowstep” but they also can’t implement it properly.

Thief/Guardian. Desolation [EU]

in Thief

Posted by: slsharpshooter.5631

slsharpshooter.5631

No. Arenanet have stated that thief class uses separate mechanic called “shadowstep” but they also can’t implement it properly.

If you have experience in programming you should know that implementing another function by replacement is not a difficult task. You can litterally copy and paste the mesmer teleport function and apply it to the thief trap. It is by no means challenging for the devs since theres already functions to teleport you to spawn for example. Just teleport thief to co ordinates x y z much easier coding than shadow step.

in Thief

Posted by: Azraelle.1683

Azraelle.1683

They don’t want to give us teleport. They gave us shadowstep and it works similar but not like teleport and it also bugged.

Thief/Guardian. Desolation [EU]

in Thief

Posted by: RyanThomas.4182

RyanThomas.4182

Shadow Trap is a stunbreaker. So why can’t we use it while we’re stunned?

-_- Anet…

Blackgate – Love and War [LAW]
5 Ele meta let’s go

in Thief

Posted by: The Kurt.2518

The Kurt.2518

I don’t really agree with that it should be insta-cast, but it is truly annoying that you get stuck on obstacles, I don’t think it should happen, even though it does say “shadowstep”, and shadowsteps are quite easily obstructed

in Thief

Posted by: kubetz.3058

kubetz.3058

Arena net please reply to this thread so people can see what sort of idea is going ahead for this utility.

If you want ANet to have a look @ your suggestions, I would recommend you to post it in the Profession Balance with “[Thief]” prefix in the title.

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

I may be wrong but I believe it is a stun break only when someone is marked

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

The Kurt.2518

If you want ANet to have a look @ your suggestions, I would recommend you to post it in the Profession Balance with “[Thief]” prefix in the title.

Is this a balance issue though? O.o

in Thief

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

I use this skill quite often in PvP. It’s a nice ambush and teleport between nodes, just takes some experience in where you need to place it and where you need to be for it to work. What it does need though, is an indicator of how much time you have left before "Destroy Shadow Trap" times out. "Shadow Pursuit" could also do with a longer window to respond when someone triggers it.. what’s the point in marking someone if you only have a few seconds to respond? So many times I need as little as five more seconds to finish helping a team mate before I pursue the marked player, and don’t get to use it.

Destroy Shadow Trap and Shadow Pursuit are both stun breakers, but Destroy Shadow Trap has a cast time. You break your stun, and start the long cast animation which is identical to hide in shadows, which screams "interrupt me!" and you not only get instantly disabled again, but when you do, you lose your teleport because it’s now on full cool down.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

I use this skill quite often in PvP. It’s a nice ambush and teleport between nodes, just takes some experience in where you need to place it and where you need to be for it to work. What it does need though, is an indicator of how much time you have left before “Destroy Shadow Trap” times out. “Shadow Pursuit” could also do with a longer window to respond when someone triggers it.. what’s the point in marking someone if you only have a few seconds to respond? So many times I need as little as five more seconds to finish helping a team mate before I pursue the marked player, and don’t get to use it.

Destroy Shadow Trap and Shadow Pursuit are both stun breakers, but Destroy Shadow Trap has a cast time. You break your stun, and start the long cast animation which is identical to hide in shadows, which screams “interrupt me!” and you not only get instantly disabled again, but when you do, you lose your teleport because it’s now on full cool down.

Increasing the rollover time of shadow pursuit by 5-10 seconds would go a long way to making me use this skill again and it being a great stunbreak to use in combat rather than just dropping it beforehand.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: kubetz.3058

kubetz.3058

Is this a balance issue though? O.o

IMHO it is.

OP thinks the trap is underpowered and is proposing changes how to fix it. Profession Balance is full of posts about stuff being OP or UP, so I think this fits in pretty nicely.

The thing is that even if OP thinks this section is best suited for his post, ANet won’t read it here.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, please.

EDIT: Okey, I just realized that this topic was necro-ed :-/ .

(edited by kubetz.3058)

in Thief

The Kurt.2518

I use this skill quite often in PvP. It’s a nice ambush and teleport between nodes, just takes some experience in where you need to place it and where you need to be for it to work.

Even if you have experience it can be problematic if you’re in a great need of running away while in a place where the trap doesn’t work :P

in Thief

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

Even if you have experience it can be problematic if you’re in a great need of running away while in a place where the trap doesn’t work :P

Aye, same with steal and shadow step often placing you inside a rock or tree. I meant with experience it becomes viable.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in Thief

The Kurt.2518

Aye, same with steal and shadow step often placing you inside a rock or tree. I meant with experience it becomes viable.

I’ve never really had that much problems with steal and shadowstep, I only get stuck in weird places very rarely :P