Q&A: shadowstep and walls

in Thief

Posted by: Reaven.3958

Reaven.3958

Q:

So I’m relatively new to the game. Hi! I’ve looked through the forums on this but haven’t found a thread with any official response, or even a really convincing argument from the community to my question: why can’t thieves shadow step up walls? I know they used to be able to (and to the best of my knowledge it’s been removed — correct and educate me if this is not the case!). I don’t understand the logic behind preventing this. It seems like it fits within what the class should be able to do conceptually as thieves and assassins, and I don’t really see the balance issue — sure, the thief can get up and wreak havoc, but at extreme risk to himself. If nothing else it would just force more players to position atop walls during a siege, and I don’t really see what’s wrong with that.

Anyway, before I get up in arms about it, if I’m totally out of line help me see the light. Please, though, don’t flame or be condescending. Let me know why you think the current state of things is justified, or, if you don’t, make your case to the contrary!

Thanks for your time!

in Thief

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Seriously? o.o

Thieves (as well as any other class with similar mechanics) can’t do that because it would make walls pretty much useless. Imagine if a few Thieves could just jump over the walls and go kill the keeplord. It would seriously break WvW.

As for cliffs and other spots – some work, some don’t. It’s a matter of trial and error to find out where it works.

in Thief

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

Thief could never shadow step on to keep walls in WvW

You can only shadow step to locations where you have line of sight and where there is a clear path to that location – you wont be able to shadow step over a cliff for example

in Thief

Posted by: Reaven.3958

Reaven.3958

Narkodx, youtube would like a word with you: http://youtu.be/g1_XyObtGio?t=1m45s

Saturn —
1) I don’t see how it would make walls useless. That seems like saying that grappling hooks make walls obsolete in real life.
2) Yeah… that’s pretty lame. The inconsistency is real.

in Thief

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

>someone puts 12 superior arrowcarts on a t3 tower, making it untakable by any zerg no matter the size
>thief comes, kills the guy, cap the tower
>no balance problem at all

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Rule of thumb is if you could run to the point without having to jump at any point, you can likely shadowstep to it. There are exceptions due to pathing issues with some terrain. Keep/tower stairs are a definite exception; to the best of my knowledge, there are no sets of stairs (the ones that get you to the tops of walls) that you can shadowstep up.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

Narkodx, youtube would like a word with you: http://youtu.be/g1_XyObtGio?t=1m45s.

GW 2 release date: August 28, 2012
Date of posted video: April 30, 2012 (beta)

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

in Thief

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Narkodx, youtube would like a word with you: http://youtu.be/g1_XyObtGio?t=1m45s

As was already said, that video is from Beta testing. They probably quickly found out that this shouldn’t be possible, so it was removed from all classes with similar skills.

Saturn —
1) I don’t see how it would make walls useless. That seems like saying that grappling hooks make walls obsolete in real life.

Now, if you really DO want to go with real life arguments here… in real life, you could just cut off the rope if you see grappling hooks being used. You can not prevent a shadowstep from happening. Also, in real life, a single arrow from a defending archer could kill you, and/or make you fall down. In GW2, this isn’t an issue for the attacker at all, since 1. shadowsteps are instant and 2. it needs way more to kill you. Also, did you ever try climbing up somewhere with a grappling hook? If the hook isn’t properly placed, it could lose its grip and you would fall down. It also is kinda taxing, especially with the weight of armor and weapons. If you fail once or twice, even if you wouldn’t have any injuries from falling and/or enemy attacks, you wouldn’t have the strength anymore to try again. But even if one shadowstep fails for whatever reason… you can try again and again and again and again and again…

Also, if this would be possible, nobody would bother with breaking through the walls or gates anymore. Just let a Mesmer blink up the wall and portal the zerg in. Tower/keep taken in 60 seconds on average. And without portal, people would just need to get up there on their own, which doesn’t really take any longer (it would just leave some classes out). Even IF there are enough defenders already for some reason (since there’s no way to get there in time otherwise), then it would be the same thing like zerg vs zerg or guild vs guild fights anywhere else on the map. Which in turn would make towers and keeps obsolete. And thus the whole mechanic with upgrading them. Supply would become almost obsolete too. You could just remove towers, keeps and siege, upgrade the sentrys to the strength of tower lords, the camp supervisors to the strength of keep lords and let them count for PPT like towers and keeps do now.

(edited by Saturn.6591)