Quick Race Question

Quick Race Question

in Thief

Posted by: Ekstra.5264

Ekstra.5264

I’ve got a friend who is just about to start the game and has questions I don’t know the answers to, since playing a mesmer.

On character creation, are there any synergies between the Thief class and the racial choices?

Should he try to be small? Any racial skills useful for small group WvW?

Quick Race Question

in Thief

Posted by: rodadams.5963

rodadams.5963

By design, the racial skills are weaker than the class skills, and I’ve never once heard a convincing arguement for how one race is better than another for this or that.

Then again, I’m not a WvW expert, but when I do go, I don’t see any patterns of “all thieves are Asuran” or anything like that.

Quick Race Question

in Thief

Posted by: Ekstra.5264

Ekstra.5264

Thanks for the quick answer, he decided on Asura.

Quick Race Question

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

the asura have the advantages of being small, so the mobs and players will miss you more !

Quick Race Question

in Thief

Posted by: Zerbo.5381

Zerbo.5381

Mobs and players don’t miss asura more- the hitbox is the same for all races.

Quick Race Question

in Thief

Posted by: Morbyd.3761

Morbyd.3761

Yeah, I fell certain that the hit box is the same for every race, but it has to be easier for a player to overlook an Asura than a big burly Norn or Charr. That said, I think you should just play whatever race you like the most.

[Yay]

Quick Race Question

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Thanks for the quick answer, he decided on Asura.

I think that’s a good choice due to the coolest Racial Elite Skill (IMO of course) also the skill Pain Inventer helps a lot when leveling up.

However, Asura’s armor sets aren’t that great and you cannot appreciate the details of all the other armors due to their size.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Quick Race Question

in Thief

Posted by: bobross.5034

bobross.5034

asura have a slight advantage in very high level play. When playing against people who anticipate moves based on character animations, the asura animations are smaller and harder to notice.

Some people like the human outfits better. With humans you can make your guy look like a cowboy or pirate…similar armor looks kinda silly on asura, and the human cultural armor isnt available.

I play asura though, and my guy looks like a kid dressed up as a power ranger. I even went with weapons that look like toys. The asura animations are kind of fun, but silly. They always look like they’re barely balancing, also the sword/pistol 3-skill looks like a warner brothers cartoon. Speaking of which, I once saw an asura warrior who managed to look just like marvin the martian.

So as you can see the main concerns are aesthetic. I happen to like the aesthetic, but if your friend doesn’t, he may want to go with something else.

Quick Race Question

in Thief

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

I suppose it’s too late, but I feel the need to note for anyone else interested that the story for Ash Legion (Charr) fits the thief perfectly.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

Quick Race Question

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

there are a few…..char has a nice pistol attack and the green creatures(wow mental fart here) have a nice root which is invaluable to a thief. however a smaller class is harder to click although its said to not be so. which is wrong and can be proven. asura are harder to target. dont pick a big class if your an engineer/thief.

Quick Race Question

in Thief

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

I go human female or asura for all my characters. Human females for something nice to look at while I’m playing + play dressup on my barbie… or asura for being smaller.

While the hitboxes are the same size you can hide behind smaller things and not be seen. Also when you’re in a group fight you’re more easily lost behind another player. At the start of a fight you’ll see and therefore select the larger target first more often.

Racial skills don’t matter.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Quick Race Question

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

@aberrant not true… tested and proved ! check this out. have an asura stand infront of a norn. you can still click on the norn behind the asuran player! now put the asuran player behind the norn. you cant click on the asuran player. this shows that boxes are not the same. figure that one out. let me know when u get back with an answer