Quick question about ignoring control skills.

in Thief

Posted by: NeHoMaR.9812

NeHoMaR.9812

I don’t play Thief, but I sometimes notice a Thief (on PvP) can completely ignore a knockdown without Stability on, is that a trait? I have seen a Thief ignoring Fear too, completely.

I just don’t want to review all Thief skills and traits to discover this.

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

A well timed Blind can ignore a lot of disables.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Deathspike.1870

Deathspike.1870

Blind or a stun breaker?

Active: Mesmer, Warrior
Inactive: Guardian, Elementalist, Ranger, Thief (ex-main)
Leveling: Engineer, Necromancer

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Blind or a stun breaker?

Stun breaker happens after the fact, but blind completely ignores the effect.

For example, a blind Warrior will fail to interrupt a Thief from stomping them with Hammer Toss knockdown.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: NeHoMaR.9812

NeHoMaR.9812

Hmm! I will see if “blind” is causing this, but I notice this more versus thieves, so that’s why I ask here. Example, if I play warrior, and I am downed, I use skill 2 to prevent the finish with a knockdown, 90% of times I miss it in someone without stability is a thief. It’s obvious this skill normally doesn’t work versus a guardian that has stability 24/7, but a thief never have stability. Maybe in the excitement of battle I don’t notice the blind.

I think I need to play a thief for some hours myself (need to do this with mesmer too) to learn more about how to counter.

EDIT: I was observing a thief in PvP, and he used Black Powder every single time he downed a player. All classes can blind, but only the thief can spam it without recharge time, I see.

(edited by NeHoMaR.9812)

in Thief

Posted by: Splatter Paw.7238

Splatter Paw.7238

D/p will nearly always drop the field on stomps. If it’s d/d they can trait to blind on stealth as well. Allot of the warrior skills are easy to see coming just keep them guessing don’t do the exact same chain repeatedly.

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Yup, #1 mistake a lot of new warriors make when fighting thieves is to just stand in the black powder circle and keep swinging. When a thief does this to you, stand just outside of the circle. Your melee attacks will still land if you’re close enough.

Just be aware that when a thief casts Black Powder, you will get hit with a shot that blinds you as well. They also have a teleport skill when using D/P that blinds you as it ports to you.

In most cases, you’re better off just spamming fire on the ground with the longbow when fighting a thief anyways, lol.

in Thief

Posted by: Elm.8169

Elm.8169

Uh, yeah, if your attacks aren’t landing, blind should be the first thing you check for. You may also have noticed a ‘miss’ pop up or a blind debuff on your status bar.

in Thief

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

I’m more annoyed by the downed warriors that occasionally ignore my blind field sometimes!

in Thief

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

Even non-D/P thieves will blind a warrior every time – most of us run with the +movement signet that has an active ability of blind. Since warriors have a guaranteed knockdown on downed, it’s second nature for me to assume I have to blind to get the stomp. Otherwise by the time I get the second stomp in they have Venged.

Must be nice to have downed abilities like that.

in Thief

Posted by: ryan.6217

ryan.6217

Hmm! I will see if “blind” is causing this, but I notice this more versus thieves, so that’s why I ask here. Example, if I play warrior, and I am downed, I use skill 2 to prevent the finish with a knockdown, 90% of times I miss it in someone without stability is a thief. It’s obvious this skill normally doesn’t work versus a guardian that has stability 24/7, but a thief never have stability. Maybe in the excitement of battle I don’t notice the blind.

I think I need to play a thief for some hours myself (need to do this with mesmer too) to learn more about how to counter.

EDIT: I was observing a thief in PvP, and he used Black Powder every single time he downed a player. All classes can blind, but only the thief can spam it without recharge time, I see.

“I was observing a thief in PvP, and he used Black Powder every single time he downed a player. All classes can blind, but only the “thief can spam it without recharge time”, I see."

…. Eat kitten