Ranged Theives - Permanent Builds

in Thief

Posted by: Rekuja.6318

Rekuja.6318

Hi,

Are there any permanent ranged thieves here? even without the 1200 range, what are your thoughts on the class and playstyle?

I’ve been using pistol/pistol and sometimes either shortbow or pistol/dagger as my secondary weapon set, I’m really enjoying it so far and there’s quite a few traits that make the play style viable.

I’m just curious what you guys think?

I personally think the 1200 range should be added, I do fine with 900 but it can be quite annoying at times…

also, what do you guys think ArenaNet’s thoughts are on Ranged thieves? do they want the class to be played using whatever playstyle we prefer? or do they hate the idea of a ranged only thief?

in Thief

Posted by: Spartacus.9647

Spartacus.9647

Yo’
This is my 1st post on the forums so I would like to just introduce myself a bit.
I was a WoW player for 4 years off and on I thought I found “the game” However a friend convinced me to test out gw2 and seeing how it’s f2p I agreed, and fell in love with it.
That being said I only PVP and played a rouge as my main in WoW.. Knowing this I didn’t want to play thief in GW2. lol, anyway after testing out all the other classes I decided to try out the Thief(My next choice was a Mesmer or Warrior).

I played back-stab burst d/d short bow and really liked it, but one night I was just bored and jumped onto my other thief I use for messing around with builds.
When I picked up the p/p combo at first I didn’t like it at all, then I decided to give it a try at least until I made a build to focus around its vitality which is a lot different than the back stab thief ( even tho you still use short bow a lot in spvp)
Now I moved the the p/p short bow to my main.. When I get into a random group most people laugh and since my back stab build is a quick switch I just switch back to d/d&sb for the paid or free, however when I run with my team we do really great in paids and frees( me as the p/p SB. Just bringing that up so you can be weary, because most people want a thief for the burst and while p/p short bow has a little burst its nothing compared to the back stab. I do feel our mobility and CC’s make up for that as a p/p shotbow..

Here is my build I’m using.. I couldn’t find much about it online so I just had to make my own go ahead and crit it please and thanks!

Traits
http://puu.sh/1Un5L/37c385372f
Gear
http://puu.sh/1Unfp/24cb5dd664
http://puu.sh/1UnfD/03224e7ff4
http://puu.sh/1Ung2/f78a422be4
http://puu.sh/1Ungt/e40ac4f9cc
http://puu.sh/1UngG/b3ebcfa75c

in Thief

Posted by: Sonnet.9840

Sonnet.9840

I run almost the same P/P build as above, with different gear. In my experience P/P thief is on par with D/D, just plays differently. Both have their advantages and disadvatages when compared.

Oh, and I’m talking about PvP if it was not clear

in Thief

Spartacus.9647

What gear do you use I only have been playing it for 2 days now and switch from all divinity.

Also I would be interested in knowing your trait buffs (what ever you call em)
Thanks.

Btw I’m sitting with 21k heath

in Thief

Spartacus.9647

This is wrong I’m actually using the Sigle of Minor accuracy. Sorry for the wrong pic.
Also you can check out my game style here at http://www.twitch.tv/born4glory
Just watch the first vid and skip to about 5 mins in.

in Thief

Posted by: Blueshield.6291

Blueshield.6291

Hi,

Hello!

Are there any permanent ranged thieves here? even without the 1200 range, what are your thoughts on the class and playstyle?

My thief is permanent ranged (with an important exception, more on that later). I typically run P/P with a Shortbow in the auxiliary. I absolutely love the playstyle. Being purely ranged gives you enormous mobility, which is one of the best aspects of thieves, in my opinion.

I’ve been using pistol/pistol and sometimes either shortbow or pistol/dagger as my secondary weapon set, I’m really enjoying it so far and there’s quite a few traits that make the play style viable.

I concur. I was drawn to thief (and engineer, briefly) due to the prospect of being a dual-pistols gunslinger, and thief has absolutely lived up to my hopes. High mobility combined with enormous burst damage makes you a useful member of the group who, given a proficiency with dodging, can easily offset damage-focused gear with skill-based survivability.

On the topic of traits, Critical Strikes opens up a lot of fun options to P/P thieves. The great thing about P/P, though, is that it can be made to work quite effectively with a number of potential trait lines. In my experience with other classes, traits don’t seem to be quite as flexible – a problem for guardians in particular.

I’m just curious what you guys think?

I personally think the 1200 range should be added, I do fine with 900 but it can be quite annoying at times…

I find that 900 range is a very reasonable tradeoff considering several factors. First and foremost, we have some of the absolute highest ranged burst damage around. The typical tradeoff for longer range is lower DPS. Second, our astoundingly high mobility compared to other classes more than compensates for the reduced range. Personally, I roll with Signet of Shadows much of the time – this makes orbiting targets amazingly effective even when the targets are pursuing you. Without SoS, several traits from Acrobatics increase mobility either as a function of dodging or via swiftness.

also, what do you guys think ArenaNet’s thoughts are on Ranged thieves? do they want the class to be played using whatever playstyle we prefer? or do they hate the idea of a ranged only thief?

From a philosophical standpoint, ANet’s on the record as saying that they generally want players to find their own comfort zones and play the way we prefer. I’ve never seen any evidence post-launch to countermand that.

One thing to watch out for, however, is the upcoming AoE nerf, which might have substantial effects on the shortbow’s viability. If anything, though, that should really make P/P stand out further, being a single-target weapon set (I’m assuming that ANet wouldn’t penalize the weaponset as a whole based upon the Ricochet trait – one additional target 1/5 of the time is a far cry from five targets all the time).

in Thief

Posted by: Bleeds.4029

Bleeds.4029

I play my thief as p/p & d/d combo currently, with plans of swapping my off set to s/d. Only reason I haven’t already is because I don’t have a good sword to put in place of my mainhand dagger.

I find that I rarely swap to the d/d unless I am solo for some reason and I need to spike someone. I usually leave that to a guild guardian or someone that can comfortably stand in the heat of the main battle. I stay to the outside edges of the fights ready to burst a called target.

I find my p/p thief fits my needs exactly. It may not have the burst we see from d/d builds in the hands of people that are really good with it (which I am NOT one of) but it works for me and affords me the extra time to react that comes from ranged attacks.

I originally tried the 25/30/0/0/15 but found that I died incredibly fast, I have since swapped to 20/30/0/20/0 (props to Lofat’s thread) and while I don’t quite hit as hard, I survive a longer time.

Finally, as to Anet’s thoughts on a ranged thief? They allowed us to build for p/p to the point of making several traits specific to the build. I think they want us to play it and I think the build is in a good place with some degree of room to possibly even be buffed.