Rapiers or Katanas?

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Lucky Shot.7650

Lucky Shot.7650

Just a silly little topic. We have seen a one handed katana datamined from HoT expansion, so I ask, what’s the most fitting sword for your thief?

I’ll definetly stick with the rapier, I have Bonetti for day and Faren for night. I love rapiers due to how lightweight and fast they look and I think they fit thief quite well. I also love the well adorned guard. Plus, the most damaging attacks on thief have a trust animation, like Crippling and Larcenous Strike.

Meanwhile, Katanas are associated with ninjas (and samurais), but they don’t have much appeal on me due to how commonly you see those things.

So what will it be for you, rapier or katana?

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Eodwen.2613

Eodwen.2613

I got rapier for my human as well. For my asura though katanas are a must. It looks really ninja like with the outfit or coe armor and the katana.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Katanas, hands down.
Katanas have a cool background to them, despite them, realistically, more “fragile” than other types of swords, plus since they have and edge only on one side pretty sure that limits them too.
But yeah their bad-kitten -ier stems from who used them in the past, how they were made, and ofc anime.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

Whisperblade <3

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Do I have to choose between these two? Yeark… Well fine, the Rapier will do, it doesn’t get to have ‘Mass Slaughter’ written on it like most of weapons. Katanas are far too overrated and there’s enough people trying to shove anime down our throats already.

The latter just reminds people that the majority of the Thief playerbase wished the said class wasn’t named Thief, and themed Thief.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

(edited by MrForz.1953)

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

I think people try to overrate the kanata with anime.

Let’s not forget the samurais that wielded kanatas, their code and ethics. Plus how the katana is constructed…

Join the TEEFs!

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: yiksing.9432

yiksing.9432

I want a one handed katana, rapier swings doesn’t make much sense

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I have King Toad Sword, Illex and Mistforged Hero Sword~ those my current favz. Dat Katana is pretty sexy though and may replace’em. Not much of a Rapier fan.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Or…

Key swords?

Yeah?

Anyone?

Join the TEEFs!

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: ZoroDaOtter.3859

ZoroDaOtter.3859

I want a one handed katana, rapier swings doesn’t make much sense

One handed Katanas [&AgGADQEAAA==] and Tantos [&AgFcDgEAAA==] were datamined from the most recent patch.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: godofcows.2451

godofcows.2451

For now rapiers because they have more detail in the model than the katanas

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

My terminology may be incorrect, but aren’t one-handed curved single-blade swords called kodachi? I believe katanas are for two hands.

(edited by Arikyali.5804)

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

I love the look of the rapiers, but slashing people with a rapier hurts my soul. A katana is at least being used properly, though I can’t get too excited about hitting people with a low quality blade designed for murdering peasants.

I’ll stick to the fancy shiny fantasy blades tyvm.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

MrForz.1953

Let’s not forget the samurais that wielded kanatas, their code and ethics. Plus how the katana is constructed…

Warriors, warriors, warriors.

My terminology may be incorrect, but aren’t one-handed curved single-blade swords called kodachi? I believe katanas are for two hands.

That’s correct for the kodachi, often mistaken with the wakizashi, a straighter and denser variant. The katana is in general for two-handed use, but has seen a few one-handed purposes. The nodachi is strictly for two handed uses.

(edited by MrForz.1953)

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

European styled sword for me, fits my bruiser style a bit more.

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

Rapiers need unique thrusting animations to be viable for me the typical sword animations dont cut it for me.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Warriors, warriors, warriors.

Ronins and of course “ninjas”/assassins.

Yeah. And we/I want two handers.

Join the TEEFs!

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

I thought katana was just a general term for sword and that nodachi, odachi were the ones specifically made to be 2handed weapons due to size.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

I thought katana was just a general term for sword and that nodachi, odachi were the ones specifically made to be 2handed weapons due to size.

Think they’re different…

Join the TEEFs!

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Bazzoong.7145

Bazzoong.7145

The sword stance in game sucks for rapiers, you would never ever have the dagger foot and the dagger presented forward, the whole freaking point in basket hilts is that you can present the sword forward and close the direct line without getting your hand cut.

As much as I love rapiers, both the Italian and the Spanish looking ones, that stance just breaks my immersion.

So katana it will be for me.

As a side note: If you are interested in “real” katana technique google for the Iaido demonstrations at the Hakone shirne in Japan vids should be on YouTube, that stuff is as real as it gets without killing someone.

(edited by Bazzoong.7145)

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Bazzoong.7145

Bazzoong.7145

Dachi basically means sword, the prefix No- means long, the prefix Ko- means short. Both terms are similar to the european terminology Longsword and Shortsword. All used for swords of various types and sizes, mind that in Japan up to the modern age there was never such a thing as a “military standart issue” sword.

Katana and Wakizashi are usually used when refering to carrying a long and short sword as a pair.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: MarauderShields.6830

MarauderShields.6830

I love the japanese culture but we already have more than enough shinigamis, sasukes and weeaboos in this game . I think to much of the “anime-esque” stuff waters down the lore of the game. I’d like to see a nice array of sabres/scimitars as one-handed swords (a weapon category that I always found a bit lacking personally) instead, especially with the exotic theme of HoT.

Former running-really-fast-man. Now proud member of Revenant clan.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Arikyali.5804

I love the japanese culture but we already have more than enough shinigamis, sasukes and weeaboos in this game . I think to much of the “anime-esque” stuff waters down the lore of the game. I’d like to see a nice array of sabres/scimitars as one-handed swords (a weapon category that I always found a bit lacking personally) instead, especially with the exotic theme of HoT.

I kinda have to agree. I like all the Eastern culture, but I’d also like to see other cultures. Europeans and Japanese aren’t the only ones who crafted swords. The tribal sword did a neat job of taking elements from pacific island swords, even if they’re not accurate.

Too much westernized Eastern culture just…ruins it. (It still irks me that Usoku’s needle, designed after the Sai, are animated to be held like daggers. They are NOT daggers. You will end up stabbing yourself if you try and use them like that.)

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

I think what we need are some machetes, especially since it’s the jungle…. Two handed machetes…

(I’m sold on key swords though.)

Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Arikyali.5804

I think what we need are some machetes, especially since it’s the jungle….

(I’m sold on key swords though.)

Machetes! Yes! I would totally love that!

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Or large/two-handed balisongs…. Pretty sure large ones are legit, not sure on the historical aspect of large balisongs. Pretty sure they were made as kind of scrapped-together weapons.

:D Who am I kidding. I’ll probably be a revenant after the expansion drops. Check out their traits and weapon skills, they can hurl hammers with 1200 range. Yes, 1200 range, flying, hammers. While here we are struggling to shoot an arrow that far. Oh and from the skill description it seems the hammer goes through the enemies in a line…

Join the TEEFs!

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

I’ve been playing with my rapier for eight months, and I’m not planning on changing now. I might get the katana for my mesmer though.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Or large/two-handed balisongs…. Pretty sure large ones are legit, not sure on the historical aspect of large balisongs. Pretty sure they were made as kind of scrapped-together weapons.

:D Who am I kidding. I’ll probably be a revenant after the expansion drops. Check out their traits and weapon skills, they can hurl hammers with 1200 range. Yes, 1200 range, flying, hammers. While here we are struggling to shoot an arrow that far. Oh and from the skill description it seems the hammer goes through the enemies in a line…

Well someone datamined Shiro’s name under the revenant, so maybe we’ll see more canthan style gear in general to fill out that theme. I’m probably going to stick with my thief main, ele favorite alt, but the rev might be in the running for my alt depending on how customizable they end up being.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

MrForz.1953

This one sword to the left is a nice design.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Psymon.4750

Psymon.4750

any sword can be wielded/ swung with one hand depending on how strong that person is and what technique they are using. just also remember that anything swung with two hands is always more than twice as strong as when swung with one hand.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily twice as strong since your arms are holding it at some sort of V-like so some of that force is lost.

Also …

Rapier = Duelist = Mesmer
Katana = Ninja = Thief

… my opinion anyways :-p

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

(edited by Sebrent.3625)

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

MrForz.1953

Ninja = Thief

Err. Wat?

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Sebrent.3625

You’re more than free to disagree, but the Sneakthief gear best matches Thieves in game and it looks like a ninja. I’m just waiting for you to have some sort of throwing stars Utility in HoT :-p

Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

You’re more than free to disagree, but the Sneakthief gear best matches Thieves in game and it looks like a ninja. I’m just waiting for you to have some sort of throwing stars Utility in HoT :-p

And and…
Nothing is stopping a ninja from stealing things.

Join the TEEFs!

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

MrForz.1953

It’s half and half. I don’t mind variety myself and I like many aspects of that precise theme, the aesthetics, the feel, when done right, is simply amazing. But it’s often far too kitten-ized by a major amount of people to the point that it burns my eyes. I’ll simply wish to not have that Japanese culture/fantasy shoved down my throat if possible, and it will be alright.

I suppose that the wish is more than fair, coming from someone who hunted and ran after Thieves across entire maps and behind enemy lines just because they were dressed like Altaïr, Ezio or whatever and claimed to be master assassins.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

It’s half and half. I don’t mind variety myself and I like many aspects of that precise theme, the aesthetics, the feel, when done right, is simply amazing. But it’s often far too kitten-ized by a major amount of people to the point that it burns my eyes. I’ll simply wish to not have that Japanese culture/fantasy shoved down my throat if possible, and it will be alright.

I suppose that the wish is more than fair, coming from someone who hunted and ran after Thieves across entire maps and behind enemy lines just because they were dressed like Altaïr, Ezio or whatever and claimed to be master assassins.

OH god…. there were periods of time, guessing when a new game came out for the series, where every other thief looked like him. He no longer looks cool, just an annoying eye sore.

The one ninja costume/set we have doesn’t actually look that good either, like the headpiece is just…. something about it is so ugly.

Pretty sure both rapiers and katanas are in the game right now, as in skins for them. rapier is a sword skin, and the katana is a GS skin (so if the thief ever got a GS as it’s spec weapon…).

But yeah if they did something like WoW did with pandaland, I probably would stop playing the game. GW1:Factions though had done it right…. pandaland … no… just no. In terms of themes.

Side thing about ninjas and well mask…. wish the Visage of Koda didn’t have the nose/jaw sticking out so much to the point where it looks like a beak. or that we had more full face masks… (in game, not gem store)

Join the TEEFs!

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Starlightmagus.8654

Starlightmagus.8654

What’s wrong with slashing with rapiers? Unless I’m thinking of ENTIRELY the wrong thing, they actually were quite adept at making quick, shallow cuts in order to bleed an opponent out. Not heavy, cleaving slashes, mind…but they weren’t purely a thrusting weapon.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: met.9653

met.9653

Fractal sword for me, got nice slick and lightweight look. I love bolt but don’t have mats and gold to craft this one now.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Fractal sword for me, got nice slick and lightweight look. I love bolt but don’t have mats and gold to craft this one now.

Hopefully that will change after expansion. Might require more to craft it (well the precursor) but at least the method will hopefully be straightforward and one in which you can measure your progression in a term other than how much gold you have saved up.

Join the TEEFs!

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: noynek.8953

noynek.8953

What’s wrong with slashing with rapiers? Unless I’m thinking of ENTIRELY the wrong thing, they actually were quite adept at making quick, shallow cuts in order to bleed an opponent out. Not heavy, cleaving slashes, mind…but they weren’t purely a thrusting weapon.

Yea, they are purely thrusting weapons. Both fencing and the weapon itself emphasize short, quick thrusting movements. Thrusts are more lethal than cuts for a variety of reasons. Organ puncture, wounds are harder to close, introduction of contaminants deeper into the body, etc. Not to mention that the only sharp area of the sword is at the tip of the blade. No reasonable person is going to attempt to bleed you out through shallow, superficial cuts when they can just stab your liver with a 5ft toothpick.

When trade between Europe and Asia picked up in the 1600/1700’s, Japan had such a huge problem with westerners killing the locals with rapiers that the country eventually made the sword illegal to carry.

(edited by noynek.8953)

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

MrForz.1953

Yea, they are purely thrusting weapons. Both fencing and the weapon itself emphasize short, quick thrusting movements. Thrusts are more lethal than cuts for a variety of reasons. Organ puncture, wounds are harder to close, introduction of contaminants deeper into the body, etc. Not to mention that the only sharp area of the sword is at the tip of the blade. No reasonable person is going to attempt to bleed you out through shallow, superficial cuts when they can just stab your liver with a 5ft toothpick.

When trade between Europe and Asia picked up in the 1600/1700’s, Japan had such a huge problem with westerners killing the locals with rapiers that the country eventually made the sword illegal to carry.

Both of those are true. The slashing is limited but it remains there (has to be executed without the use of the whole arm), you’ll end the fight with a thrust no matter what, however. What made its charm is that many of those rapiers were surprisingly versatile, even against opponents wielding larger blades, designed for smashing.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: sadatoni.6524

sadatoni.6524

Those datamined images look more like a ninjato than a classically-shaped katana.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I got rapier for my human as well. For my asura though katanas are a must. It looks really ninja like with the outfit or coe armor and the katana.

Yeah because in feudal Japan there were so many Samurai Asuras running around…

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Yeah because in feudal Japan there were so many Samurai Asuras running around…

It was exactly like that, haven’t you lived back then?

Join the TEEFs!

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: laquito.5269

laquito.5269

Neither of them, as I got Infinite Light. Tops any other sword skin.

Retired GW2 Player

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Sephirian Fair.3651

Sephirian Fair.3651

Neither of them, as I got Infinite Light. Tops any other sword skin.

That was my train of thought, lol. I thought I wanted Bolt as my final Sword skin, but kitten is Bolt oversized. I hate “thick” weapons. Infinite Light is the most normal looking sword outside of the basic crafts. Long, thin, beautiful.

I’ll admit I am disappointed with the Katana skins that were datamined. I bought Belinda’s Greatsword because I love Katanas because I am a huge fan of Samurai culture and sword play (Especially Iaido), but the Katana skin for Swords is soooooo small. It’s almost half the length of my Infinite Light! So, probably gonna pass on that.

The new Red Curved Sword that was recently datamined looks kinda like a Katana. Might pick that up when it is released. Otherwise I plan on keeping with Infinite Light until I see what other skins are planned.

Or until Anet gives me a Greatsword Specialization for Thief and not a crappy Rifle. >.<

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Sebrent.3625

That is a nice weapon.

If you want a good looking weapon with no particle effects though, I feel like the Krytan weapons are superb … sleek, simple, but detailed.

Better yourself.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: CountzuCrytus.7256

CountzuCrytus.7256

I personally use Infinite Light on my thief ( and all classes that use swords), I just wish there was a dagger variant to it.

Rapiers or Katanas?

in Thief

Posted by: Tyr.6097

Tyr.6097

I don’t like rapiers nor katanas. A simple non glowing sword fits best to me.

Tyrs Klinge ~Thief~