Reduce AA damage, increase Initiative

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I griped about this in another post but basically the last patch moved the thief further away from a player precision class and closer to a spam auto attack class. My suggestion is to revert the AA damage and increase the overall initiative. This gives the class more options throughout the fight without making auto attacks on par with initiative using attacks.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Most new decisions regarding gameplay and balance seem to push towards trivializing combat and reducing the dependency on skilled gameplay as a whole. People seem to be relishing the power creep and easy gameplay, so I feel like such a request is “out of line” with “popular opinion.”

kitten shame, really.

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I griped about this in another post but basically the last patch moved the thief further away from a player precision class and closer to a spam auto attack class. My suggestion is to revert the AA damage and increase the overall initiative. This gives the class more options throughout the fight without making auto attacks on par with initiative using attacks.

I would keep changes to sword auto as is as it needed a boost relative to staff and dagger in any case from a damage perspective. (it was just overall speed changes afterall). That said just boosting INI does not necessarily translate to more skill in a build. Stealth with d/p becomes easier yet.

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

if you boost ini d/p user just spam shadow shot more then already do.

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I would keep changes to sword auto as is as it needed a boost relative to staff and dagger in any case from a damage perspective. (it was just overall speed changes afterall). That said just boosting INI does not necessarily translate to more skill in a build. Stealth with d/p becomes easier yet.

DPS-wise the sword AA chain was better than the dagger’s, actually. HS spam while a boss was below 25% was what kept the dagger as the better damaging set, and this was only by a pretty small margin. To make things “balanced” properly they’d have frankly needed to cut down the damage per hit on the sword if they were to up the speed.

But power creep putting the thief’s DPS lower than most other classes with elite specializations either justified buffing the thief’s damage or nerfing others’ back into the realm of reason. Obviously ANet took the easier approach.

The thief didn’t need more power. Overall it’s in a pretty good spot with some room for tweaks. The other professions needed to be toned down, but obviously that’s not happening.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in Thief

Posted by: Anomaly.7612

Anomaly.7612

Most new decisions regarding gameplay and balance seem to push towards trivializing combat and reducing the dependency on skilled gameplay as a whole. People seem to be relishing the power creep and easy gameplay, so I feel like such a request is “out of line” with “popular opinion.”

kitten shame, really.

I’ve been a Thief since beta, and this makes me want to just quit the game entirely. :‘( I liked Thief due to how much skill they needed and quick decisions. I don’t want to just press 3 and 1. Might as well play LoL though I hate that game.

in Thief

Posted by: Highlie.7641

Highlie.7641

But we already had a “Massive Buff” Directed towards are initiative,

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-December-10-2013

How could you forget about dec. 10th.

in Thief

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

kitten shame, really.

I’ve been a Thief since beta, and this makes me want to just quit the game entirely. :‘( I liked Thief due to how much skill they needed and quick decisions. I don’t want to just press 3 and 1. Might as well play LoL though I hate that game.

The changes have made you want to quit the game sure. But at the same time I haven’t seen this many thieves running around since beta, as everyone and their dog brings the class out of mothballs and have started playing it again. So yes, you’re in a small (elitist) minority here.

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

The changes have made you want to quit the game sure. But at the same time I haven’t seen this many thieves running around since beta, as everyone and their dog brings the class out of mothballs and have started playing it again. So yes, you’re in a small (elitist) minority here.

Yeah, and they all die to me..
A D/D vanilla thief without regen.
“BUT I THOUGHT THIEF IS NOW OP? THEY GOT ALL BUFFS IN THE LAST PATCH!!”

ETA: So I guess that what happened was that those who always hop to the next “OP” class are now trying thief. Just that the buffs weren’t really buffs – so kind of a rude awakening, give it another 1-2 weeks and they’re gone again.

(edited by Jana.6831)

in Thief

Posted by: Jugglemonkey.8741

Jugglemonkey.8741

Honestly, the devs want to cater for the casual crowd and to get in more players as time goes on. That means the combat system gets simpler and less skill based as time passes, and the people who have been here a while get fed up of it. Not advocating this as a good idea, it’s just a logical result of the way they seem to want the game to develop, sadly.

Critical Kit, Thief.
Don’t follow me, unless you enjoy being chased by angry men with sticks.
Power Build Condi Build

in Thief

Anomaly.7612

kitten shame, really.

I completely agree with you. I played Thief because it was hard mode. I start new games on hard because I’m masochistic that way, I suppose. xD

in Thief

Anomaly.7612

Honestly, the devs want to cater for the casual crowd and to get in more players as time goes on. That means the combat system gets simpler and less skill based as time passes, and the people who have been here a while get fed up of it. Not advocating this as a good idea, it’s just a logical result of the way they seem to want the game to develop, sadly.

A friend of mine (who I’m sitting next to currently) said this exact thing hours ago. Here’s a nail. You hit its head.

in Thief

Jana.6831

A friend of mine (who I’m sitting next to currently) said this exact thing hours ago. Here’s a nail. You hit its head.

Problem with that: These guys won’t stick. And if the next tournaments are just like the last, GW2 as a whole becomes a joke.

ETA: Oh, it already is..

ETA²: I mean if a middle aged woman (me) can pull D/D thief off – then it is kind of sad that all of you want an easier game.

(edited by Jana.6831)

in Thief

Anomaly.7612

Problem with that: These guys won’t stick. And if the next tournaments are just like the last, GW2 as a whole becomes a joke.

ETA: Oh, it already is..

ETA²: I mean if a middle aged woman (me) can pull D/D thief off – then it is kind of sad that all of you want an easier game.

I want skill back. That’s what this game advertises. Can we get a refund for false marketing?

in Thief

Jana.6831

I want skill back. That’s what this game advertises. Can we get a refund for false marketing?

Me too – I want the time back when I knew that if I failed I was playing bad – that was about a year ago.

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

The number of thieves I see in WvW is already dropping. Lot more engies and necroes than ever.

in Thief

Posted by: bbennett.7463

bbennett.7463

no leave thief how it is. thanks

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

At least it is a skill that consumes initiative. If it is too spammable, up its initiative cost. IMO the point of the thief is to manage its resources rather than chain CDs like other classes. What it should never be is a class that delivers most of its damage without any init cost.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

At least it is a skill that consumes initiative. If it is too spammable, up its initiative cost. IMO the point of the thief is to manage its resources rather than chain CDs like other classes. What it should never be is a class that delivers most of its damage without any init cost.

i do not know maybe i am a bad thief but i never use auto attack.

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Edit: Oops wrong thread

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

(edited by Fat Disgrace.4275)