Revamp and we still can't range-steal...

in Thief

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

I was excited when I read that Necros were getting a new Mechanic-bount skill, (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/upcoming-skill-and-trait-changes/) I thought we had a chance, but no. We did not.

Anet…we seriously need to be able to steal from a certain range….

Everytime I’m playing P/P (which is my favorite style) and I have to shorten my 15 meters of distance from my target in order to use Steal…and then I just land at his feet and get steam rolled or badly injured…I feel so bad inside…

Why should a ranged player have to rush to his victim?? It makes no sense…

In my opinion something as simple a “Scorpion Wire” renamed to “Steal Wire” would work. Just a line-of-sight skill that throws a cable or something and steals from your target without having to get closer to it…

We need this!

in Thief

Posted by: Woaden.9425

Woaden.9425

This may change with the trait changes, but you can increase your steal range with VI in trickery.

Or do you mean literally that you want to do away with the shadowstep, and just steal bundle skill from them at range? I’d be against that personally.

Kole —Thief
youtube

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

This may change with the trait changes, but you can increase your steal range with VI in trickery.

Or do you mean literally that you want to do away with the shadowstep, and just steal bundle skill from them at range? I’d be against that personally.

I think he was hoping for a Shadowstep of sorts being attached to Steal (option to teleport back to origin after you Steal, like a Shadow Return).

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Woaden.9425

Well I gotta say, a shadow RETURN attached to steal would be baller, but probably too powerful considering we already have Infil Strike and Shadow Step for that. I’d love that though. But I’m a shadowstep addict so can’t get enough!

Kole —Thief
youtube

in Thief

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

If you can attack from maxed range with pistol so does your steal. what is the problem there in your post?

All is vain.

in Thief

MakubeC.3026

Of course.

We need two Steals:

F1: Shadowstep to your target and steal a random item, etc (Stays the same)
F2: Throw a Scorpion Wire to your target and steal a random item
OR at least:
F2: Shadowstep AWAY from your target etc, etc

Steal is great from close combat Thiefs. If you are using D/D then you chase victims around with it, close gaps and don’t allow him/her to run for his life or range you. However, when the situation is reversed, it becomes useless:

There’s a champion in front of you and you naturally equip your ranges. In that situation Steal becomes strategically useless since using it means you will have to leap to an opponent that might very well kill you if he gets a hold of you. You gotta ask yourself: Should I risk my life in Stealing him for three initiave points/ a couple of boons/ some life steal/ some damage?

I think that question answers itself…

in Thief

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

It’s a bit pointless – and dangerous – for a ranged character to have and use a skill that brings him into melee range.

in Thief

Posted by: Bash.7291

Bash.7291

Of course.

We need two Steals:

OR at least:

Steal is great from close combat Thiefs. If you are using D/D then you chase victims around with it, close gaps and don’t allow him/her to run for his life or range you. However, when the situation is reversed, it becomes useless:

There’s a champion in front of you and you naturally equip your ranges. In that situation Steal becomes strategically useless since using it means you will have to leap to an opponent that might very well kill you if he gets a hold of you. You gotta ask yourself: Should I risk my life in Stealing him for three initiave points/ a couple of boons/ some life steal/ some damage?

Not being a thief myself, and I’m sorry if this comes off as insulting, but um, learn to time the steal between attacks/moments of weakness so you don’t get your face bit off? Most mobs in this game have very predictable AI and HUGE tells for their massive damage skills, It isn’t that hard to avoid.

As far as other players, try timing a headshot/black powder cast to reduce risk of injury? Or just steal from then when they get close with a gap closer anyways.

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

in Thief

Woaden.9425

What if steal worked differently depending on the MH or OH weapon you equip, that’d be a cool way to spice things up.

Kole —Thief
youtube

in Thief

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

I agree that Steal needs a shadow return second iteration.

It would be great to have pockets in f2-3-4 (with shared cooldowns so you can’t spam them, just have some available for diversity) and F1 becoming shadow return intead of the stolen skill being placed there.

Full ranged thieves risk themselves when they steal and using your profession mechanic shouldn’t be counter productive to your gameplay. It’s your profession mechanic!

And with the patch I really hope that full ranged thieves are a possibility and they fix P/P (the new condition seems like something that P/P could use).

in Thief

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

Ya lets just ignore that fact that the p/x skill sets are garbage and focus on something that you can alleviate yourself. 1st off you can always slot something like shadow step, or you know use black-powder or smoke wall on top of them. P/P might seem cool but its by far the worst weapon kit, it wants to be both condition and power spec but fails in both.

in Thief

MakubeC.3026

Of course.

We need two Steals:

OR at least:

Not being a thief myself, and I’m sorry if this comes off as insulting, but um, learn to time the steal between attacks/moments of weakness so you don’t get your face bit off? Most mobs in this game have very predictable AI and HUGE tells for their massive damage skills, It isn’t that hard to avoid.

As far as other players, try timing a headshot/black powder cast to reduce risk of injury? Or just steal from then when they get close with a gap closer anyways.

Sounds like a good suggestion when you are not who is bound to it. It’s just plain contra-productive. Also, what about PvP? Should I wait for you to finish skill 1, steal you and roll back before you press skill 2 when I had you 20 feets from me and was doing the same damage?

My life or strategy shouldn’t be at risk when using my profession skill! It should be helpfull and resoursefull, not limitating!

in Thief

Bash.7291

Or you could run p/d and just use #3 to get away? Seriously, you have a ton of range increasing skills on top of stealth. Sometimes you just have to combo skills together instead of just blindly pressing them to get some magical effect. You have 2 sets of weapons and 3 utilities, figure out a way to do it instead of just asking for a blind buff. And god forbid you have to be patient and wait to use an ability instead of just blindly using it to get the bonus from it…

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

(edited by Bash.7291)

in Thief

MakubeC.3026

Or you could run p/d and just use #3 to get away? Seriously, you have a ton of range increasing skills on top of stealth. Sometimes you just have to combo skills together instead of just blindly pressing them to get some magical effect. You have 2 sets of weapons and 3 utilities, figure out a way to do it instead of just asking for a blind buff. And god forbid you have to be patient and wait to use an ability instead of just blindly using it to get the bonus from it…

So, your options if I’m not mistaken are:

1- Equip one weapon set I don’t have any use for just for the sake og recovering my already hard to earn distance from my target.
2- Steal then stealth and get away, and unlike any other class, having to use a complementary skill to make up for the lacks of my mechanic.
3- Wait. For what? I don’t exactly know. I just wait. Maybe if I wait long enough people will stop spamming their skills and let me steal them and then retreat to my original distance so we can start fighting again. Maybe, if they are polite enough, they will let me shoot first.

in Thief

Bash.7291

1- Equip one weapon set I don’t have any use for just for the sake og recovering my already hard to earn distance from my target.
2- Steal then stealth and get away, and unlike any other class, having to use a complementary skill to make up for the lacks of my mechanic.
3- Wait. For what? I don’t exactly know. I just wait. Maybe if I wait long enough people will stop spamming their skills and let me steal them and then retreat to my original distance so we can start fighting again. Maybe, if they are polite enough, they will let me shoot first.

1) P/P has black powder and daze, both viable options to get in and out safe, Shortbow #5 gets you out, P/D you can CnD or use #3, option are options use them
2) You do realize that to land half of our abilities on a moving target a guardian is almost required to use Judge’s intervention to do it? RoW, Zealot’s embrace, ZD, WW, All of them are easy to just walk away from, and require that specific gap closer to have pretty much any chance of landing. I think you can suffer through 1 ability requiring a secondary skill.
3) I don’t know, try not stealing into a WW or mighty blow or any other insert generic burst skill here? Most people use them pretty frequently, its not that hard to just not steal while they are up. For a class that has the best mobility and escapes, you sure to fret about possibly going into melee range on what, a kitten cd? And if you can keep someone away from you 100% of the time anyways, why would you need that steal anyways?

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

in Thief

MakubeC.3026

1) P/P has black powder and daze, both viable options to get in and out safe, Shortbow #5 gets you out, P/D you can CnD or use #3, option are options use them
2) You do realize that to land half of our abilities on a moving target a guardian is almost required to use Judge’s intervention to do it? RoW, Zealot’s embrace, ZD, WW, All of them are easy to just walk away from, and require that specific gap closer to have pretty much any chance of landing. I think you can suffer through 1 ability requiring a secondary skill.
3) I don’t know, try not stealing into a WW or mighty blow or any other insert generic burst skill here? Most people use them pretty frequently, its not that hard to just not steal while they are up. For a class that has the best mobility and escapes, you sure to fret about possibly going into melee range on what, a kitten cd? And if you can keep someone away from you 100% of the time anyways, why would you need that steal anyways?

The main reason why you steal is not for the item you get but for the initiave you regain. When thiefs steal is because they are out or almost out of initiave, so using a high consuming skill like Daze before you steal is not viable because you will be spending 4 PI to gain 3. And on top of that you will lose the gap.

You either steal for closing gaps when melee or you need IP. Conditions, damage or life steal are not strong enough reasons, specially in PvP. While the item you get has a 45% of being of any use, so I won’t count it either.

You know what? I won’t even reply to you anymore. Go play a Thief and come back after 100 hours of playing it. Like a great fighter once said:

“Everybody has a plan until they get hit.”

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I’m guessing the OP isn’t missing out on stealing feathers and gunk and instead wants some of the trait benefits from mug. There are plenty of options here such as
- miss out on the feathers and gunk
- don’t trait for mug
- trait for something safe like hidden thief or sleight of hand
- use a ranged weapon set that can move you back to range (so anything but pistol/pistol)
- use stealing as a gap closer to do more melee

If the stealing traits don’t suit your play style then don’t use them. Or change your play style. Don’t change the game when it isn’t broken.

in Thief

Bash.7291

The main reason why you steal is not for the item you get but for the initiave you regain. When thiefs steal is because they are out or almost out of initiave, so using a high consuming skill like Daze before you steal is not viable because you will be spending 4 PI to gain 3. And on top of that you will lose the gap.

You either steal for closing gaps when melee or you need IP. Conditions, damage or life steal are not strong enough reasons, specially in PvP. While the item you get has a 45% of being of any use, so I won’t count it either.

You know what? I won’t even reply to you anymore. Go play a Thief and come back after 100 hours of playing it. Like a great fighter once said:

“Everybody has a plan until they get hit.”

So let me understand this, Why do you need the initiative if you can already maintain range on something without getting caught? What point does that 3 initiative serve? If something catches you and you need it to get away, wouldn’t it make sense to just steal when they are next to you? If you are targeted by range it doesn’t really matter how much of a gap you have as you are still getting hit, so stealing then doesn’t really matter. The only reason you have given that you need a range steal is that “I need one so I can keep kiting” But if you are already kiting 100%, then what is the point?

Also as the person above me said, Hidden thief, stealth on steal, solves the problem since they cant hit you and you can get back to range doesn’t it?

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]