Ricochet... gone???

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Purity of Pistol
There has yet to be a person who has mentioned this and actually knows what it means

Short bow is the ranged aoe weapon
P/D is built around stealth and kiting (and by proxy sneak attack)
P/P is built around single target ranged damage and control (immob, interrupt, blind)

Ricochet muddies the roles of p/p and p/d as Anet envisions them for the future. It’s not needed anymore as a trait. P/P has moved on, P/D never really cared for it anyway, SB gets to reclaim it’s niche that people have forgotten about. You can do pretty decent aoe condi and power damage with SB.

Adapt to the changes or make like Elsa and let it go.

Fishsticks

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Dorianor.2470

Dorianor.2470

P/P is built around single target ranged damage and control (immob, interrupt, blind)

So woe and shame to those who deviate from the master’s plan?
“Double pistols for aoe? Preposterous! Crush the rebels!” That’s pretty much how it sounded in my head.
This just seems a way to standardise the gameplay and put professions on predefined styles. While it’s true that weapons have skills for specific purposes, I don’t understand why you shouldn’t have alternatives to them.
Why did they put ricochet there in the first place?

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

Purity of Pistol
There has yet to be a person who has mentioned this and actually knows what it means

Ricochet muddies the roles of p/p and p/d as Anet envisions them for the future. It’s not needed anymore as a trait. P/P has moved on, P/D never really cared for it anyway, SB gets to reclaim it’s niche that people have forgotten about. You can do pretty decent aoe condi and power damage with SB.

Adapt to the changes or make like Elsa and let it go.

That post of yours is really selfish (in addition to being quite ignorant).
“It’s not needed anymore as a trait. P/P has moved on, P/D never really cared for it anyway”
So basically, you never use it so it’s ok to delete it for everyone else ? hmm…

If people have seemingly never mentioned the supposed roles of the weapons it’s because we’re all aware of those archetypes.

As I said before, it’s a matter of choice. Anet has always boasted about making so that their game can be played THE WAY WE WANT TO.

They have not nerfed a mechanism, they have simply deleted it, effectively reducing the number of ways we can actually play this game (And I’ve heard thief isn’t the only profession concerned).

As it was also said before, people don’t want ricochet back because it was the strongest trait ever, but because it was the way they prefered to play. It wasn’t broken, no one has ever complained about it in the receiving hand, but people still enjoyed this. There was nothing wrong about this trait aside from it not being the “best choice”.
Oh but I forgot, god forbid choosing a weapon according to our taste, right ?

You act tough by telling everyone to adapt, but really to me that just sounds like a sheep bleating.
Anet is FORCING people to use mainstream builds and archetypes, and you’re just telling everyone : “well if anet says so, let’s all just do that and stop whining”

Except, they’re suppressing contents that were there at launch. They suppressed contents we paid for, without warning, without asking for consent. They just did it.

And then they still boast to let people play the way they want, and there are still people like you to just swallow everything they do and say with a smile, while glaring at people like us (who make our voice heard), with condescending eyes.

(edited by Tabootrinket.2631)

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Shogun.7401

Shogun.7401

For those of you upset – do NOT post once and let it go. Anet actually does respond to player requests if we make our voices heard long enough.

It worked with the daily achievements – people complained about having too many and they changed it. Then enough people complained about not having enough daily achivements – and they changed it again.

KEEP THIS THREAD ON PAGE 1, EVERY DAY. We’ll get Ricochet back.

This is why I’m making my very first reply ever. I’m constantly reading post in the forums to get info and stuff, but never reply until now. I bought the ultimate expansion shortly before the patch that removed the ricochet, and now I’m wishing I didn’t. I’ve been playing the game since it came out, hardly taking breaks from it for no more than 3 wks at a time. This is the first mmo that I’ve played that I didn’t end up quitting after 7 months from its first release. So, it’s obvious I really like this game and the game play, especially the game play of the pistol thief, which eventually became my main toon once I discovered how fun the game play was with p/d. I also venom share with the shadow arts trait line and boon share on steal, to be a good team player. I love the ricochet because of getting the aoe in wvw zergs or small skirmish fights. It makes me feel I’m really helping with group fights, more so than with only the venom and boon sharing. I really hate the shortbow and only see #5 being useful for escaping a group that’s trying to yank me because they outnumbered me. To keep me playing the game, I’d really like to see ricochet return. When I discovered it was removed, along with the range on pistols, that’s the first time, I was so upset with this game. And I usually don’t get bothered with games like this because of preferring to keep games from effecting my life like that. It upset me so much, here I am, writing a reply, for the first time ever.

I feel the same way. I am already disappointed about my return to this game.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

btw, heard via wooden potato’s that they’re planning to release minor-“balance” patches till the release of HoT – supposedly every two weeks or so… Aren’t we all just excited?

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Ghotistyx.6942

Now hold up there broskis. If you look in the first few posts of this thread, you’ll know that I did indeed use and enjoy ricochet. I might have even said it was the first thief build that actually felt nice and fun to play (can’t remember if I mentioned that).

However, specifically talking about the purity of pistol, ricochet steps on the toes of SB. Earlier, ricochet was fine as evidenced by its existence as a trait. Now, however, it doesn’t fit with future plans. It’s quite random (not that I particularly mind rng), hard to balance (largely because of its very random nature). Some skills never worked with it, some have incredibly strong and unreliable effects (4 bounce headshot for 4ini anyone?). And with the increased emphasis on weapon and build roles, ricochet gets the axe. Most styles of p/p stay intact, despite the loss of aoe. Want bursty unloads? You can do that with Executioner and No Quarter. Need sustain through Unload spam? IP, SigoMalice, Assassin’s Reward can give around 2k hp per Unload. You can also do trap p/p lockdown, condi or hybrid venom p/p with torment on interrupt. There are plenty of options, and none specifically require ricochet.

And no, no one is forcing you to play a certain way except yourself. Killshot warrior is my preferred method of play, more than any other warrior build at least. I was enjoying hybrid guardian long before the specialization update. The recent update has effected every single build of my 17 characters, but I’ve been able to adapt.

And no, Anet does not need consent to make changes to their game. You bought access to their product. You did not buy stock in the company, nor did you buy yourself a position to make demands. You can’t always get to play your way. Maybe I want killshot to be a 1500 radius death star laser that gives me exotics for every mob I kill. Maybe I wanted to be able to stack symbols to stack 10% damage effects and pvd gates down in wvw. Maybe my playstyle is to nuke thieves in pvp with the old Grenade Barrage and Grenadier. I can’t do any of those, so I have to adapt. Maybe I want to play a condi Necro, but I can only find Diamond Skin eles to fight against. Can’t play that way any longer, need to adapt.

Ricochet was an interesting trait, but it was always really odd. And at this point, it was too odd to stay.

Fishsticks

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Danu.4135

Danu.4135

I was told in map chat this topic will be the petition to return ricochet.

Please fix it anet! p/p is boring without bounces.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

However, specifically talking about the purity of pistol, ricochet steps on the toes of SB. Earlier, ricochet was fine as evidenced by its existence as a trait.
Ricochet was an interesting trait, but it was always really odd. And at this point, it was too odd to stay.

Can you please stop talking about “purity of pistol” as if that actually makes any sense whatsoever in a game with magic scepters that summon clones and daggers that create whips out of lightning and warhorns that can make you run faster?

If you insist on giving that ridiculous excuse actual consideration, then consider that the RNG involved with Ricochet was quite natural and in fact is MUCH more likely to happen with a bullet then with an arrow. It would be far more appropriate to say SB skill#1 was stepping on the toes of Ricochet’s mechanic with pistols then the other way around.

So considering this is a fantasy game and Shortbow skill #1 literally ricochets between targets, there is nothing you can say about the loss of Ricochet that is logical. Unless you’re saying “removing Ricochet is illogical”.

p.s. saying Ricochet is odd and didn’t fit is the exact opposite of the truth. I would guess that the trait was named Ricochet because of the actual definition of the word:
“A ricochet (/?r?k??e?/ RIK-?-shay) is a rebound, bounce or skip off a surface, particularly in the case of a projectile. Most ricochets are caused by accident and while the force of the deflection decelerates the projectile: it can still be energetic and almost as dangerous as before the deflection.”

Reading that definition should bring you to the logical conclusion that it makes more sense to keep Ricochet then to remove it, whatever lame excuse aNet has about balance is just a lazy way of saying ‘we didn’t feel like taking the time to make it work’.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

I was told in map chat this topic will be the petition to return ricochet.

Please fix it anet! p/p is boring without bounces.

If it’s actually a petition thread, then yeah I’m down/signing to get it back.

Join the TEEFs!

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: jonG.8369

jonG.8369

Count my signature in for bringing it back.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: jonG.8369

jonG.8369

No more odd than any of the other traits in the game that have RNG related bounces or 100% pierces.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Ghotistyx.6942

(Because I’m on my phone and I’m too lazy to format this the best)

@Danu
Petitions are not kosher on these forums, and will generally either get posts removed or the thread locked, as per my observations.

@KittenHugz
I’m not talking about purity of pistol in a literal sense. I’m not, nor is Anet, saying anything about the realism of the pistols. It’s purely about the roles the weapons give to the thief as a profession, which is internally consistent. Short bow is, currently, the ranged aoe weapon. Both power and condition (and some utility). Before specializations happened, ricochet was a fine trait. However now, your chosen personal role is being magnified, which is where ricochet muddies the water. SB has much more aoe potential than ricochet could ever give. The popularity of ricochet prevented p/p from having the niche that was needed. Now, could Anet have created an elite specialization to fulfill that role? Sure, but maybe they haven’t. Maybe they decided to pursue a staff or mace as the featured weapon instead of a rifle to fulfill some other niche. We can’t read Anet’s mind, and we don’t know what their decisions are going to be in the future. I’m going to go ahead and say Anet probably knows more about the direction and health of the game as a while than we do, so I’ll leave the decision making to them.

Also, your definition of ricochet says nothing that would make it more likely to bring back. If we’re going for realism and “logic”, as your stance seems to be, then ricochet should be severely toned down and made baseline across all professions.

@jonG
It’s odd because it gives a 50% chance to bounce, up to 3 times (4 hits), doesn’t ever hit a target twice, and doesn’t work with some pistol rounds, though it doesn’t ever tell you which those are. Unload damage and additional effects have a massive swing in numbers, p/d 3 isn’t affected, d/p 3 will port you to the each person the bullet bounces to which is Russian roulette for targeting, etc.

I could see something like ricochet coming back, buy probably not until it becomes a much more straightforward trait.

Fishsticks

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

I’m just going to point out one thing with your “SB for AoE” argument, Ghotistyx.
Namely, that it’s known fact that ANet’s spent the past few years crapping down SB’s throat. Hell, I know I’m not the only one who remembers how the range on Cluster Bomb used to be, for instance.

Here’s what ticks folks off, IMO:

• With the amount of nerfs SB’s eaten, it’s mainly used for the mobility offered by Infiltrator’s Arrow.
  • Richochet not only allowed a bit more AoE for P/P, it could (randomly) help with controlling enemy groups.
  • There’s the classic argument that – for certain Thieves, SB just doesn’t fit their style.
  • P/P was already considered a “niche” weaponset as is, due to its absolute lack of either escape or stealth options inherent to the set.

So, why further nerf an already “niche” weaponset?

• If it’s a matter of RNG, how hard would it have been to only allow “X” number of bounces?
  • As for weapon “purity,” I and others have pointed out how illogical that argument is to make, considering that a bullet would hold up to ricocheting better than an arrow.
  • “Too powerful” is honestly the only part of the given argument that is even remotely sustainable, and that could have been number/skill adjusted, instead of hacked off at the metaphorical knees.
Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Niels.5396

Niels.5396

Scratch the points I made in my earlier post about Ricochet. Since they nerfed the condition damage in zerker gear p/p is uterly useless.

Only a sinister stat set could make it work but we don’t have that in PvP.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Odyssey.2613

Odyssey.2613

Looks like Ghotistyx drank the purity of pistols kool-aid…

As I’ve previously pointed out.

1. It WASN’T too hard to balance. They basically never touched it.
  2. It WASN’T too much RNG. They have RNG everywhere in their game, especially Thieves.
  3. Purity of Pistols is a bullkitten condescending high concept answer for when they really don’t HAVE an answer.

Get it?

The dev team has proven they can’t balance a 2×4 on a cinder block.

(edited by Odyssey.2613)

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Shinokata.6785

Shinokata.6785

I would love to have ricochet back, that’s my ideal situation because it was fun and that’s really most important.

If we can’t have ricochet back, perhaps making shots pierce through 2 targets or something similar would at least dull the pain of not having it… I still don’t get why a tiny mob can block a shot against something much bigger, does my character just not know how to aim a gun the right way?

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Ghotistyx.6942

I’ll say it again Purity of Pistol does not refer to the realism of how the weapon acts. It refers to how the pistol compares to the other weapons in the thief arsnal. Ricochet never gave p/p it’s niche, and now it has even more options than before.

Like I also mentioned before, ricochet might’ve been fine before, but HoT and the specializations are laying the groundwork for the future of the game. As ricochet stood, it no longer fit the vision of what Anet had in store for pistols. Ricochet already had a limit to 3 bounces, but the results you got from that trait were wildly different. Remember, ricochet didn’t affect p/p only. Unload’s damage and healing (from SoM per se) would change drastically, not just on RNG but also based on however many targets there were since ricochet never bounced to a previous target. P/D3 flat out did not work with ricochet. D/P3 would teleport you to each target the bullet hit, which meant a 50% chance to go where you wanted. If it bounced, you could guarantee you would not be at your first target, because once again, ricochet would never hit a previous target.

And again I’ll say, we might see something similar to ricochet. Maybe a trait that lets us pierce. Maybe only Unload gets that functionality. Maybe they twirl ricochet to be more straightforward and less unreliable. Ricochet was probably terrible to balance around due to how it interacted with all the pistol skills thief had. Perhaps they’ve “disabled” the trait ( like they did with Guardian’s Symbolic Avenger or Engi’s Grenadier) until they have figured out the best way to make it work the easy they want. In any regards, not having ricochet doesn’t kill p/p.

SB is still strong, especially with the recent changes. Shotgunning cluster Bomb is still high damage, and provides that frequent blast finisher. With the changes to poison, sb4 was melting people, and its still effective now. You still have plenty of opportunity to auto, evade, or teleport. SB not fitting someone’s style is frankly not an argument to bring back ricochet.

Fishsticks

(edited by Ghotistyx.6942)

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

I totally get what you are saying, Ghotistyx (about purity of pistol and whatnot), but I still don’t see why SB absolutely must be the be-all-end-all option for ranged AoE damage. It just feels like we are being shoe-horned into a singular (or a couple) meta build when one of the biggest draws for this game was build diversity.

Yes, I would like Ricochet back. BUT… if it really doesn’t fit their vision for the game, then I sincerely hope that there will be something similar (like you said) in a future specialization, like a Gunslinger spec that has a plethora of firearms related traits that offer a number of viable pistol (and maybe rifle too) builds.

It makes me wonder if the limiting number of builds we have now across all professions is due to the fact that future elite specializations will create the build diversity everyone is wanting. Makes me think.

As a side note: I didn’t make this thread with the intention of turning it into a petition. I know petitions are frowned upon and probably not very effective either. I simply want Anet to know that a lot of us miss the fun that Ricochet brought to the game, and are hoping that there will be something just as awesome for gunslinging thieves in the future.

I appreciate all points of view, and you make valid points Ghotistyx. I still want Ricochet back, though!

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

• If it’s a matter of RNG, how hard would it have been to only allow “X” number of bounces?

Oh man, I loved that part. It was even too much RNG for them to handle -wowzers, that must have been A LOT of RNG.

Attachments:

Join the TEEFs!

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

I’m starting to think Ghost is a shill. Dude you got waaaaay too much to say about the validity of “pistol purity”. It does not matter one bit if you’re talking “realism” or “relative to other weapons”. Either way it is complete bullshnish because there are far too many similar weapon sets / trait relationships in other professions that relate the exact same way.

And it really doesn’t matter at all if something with the release of HoT will offset the loss of Ricochet because HoT is not here, is it? I want to play p/p with Ricochet NOW so I can have fun with my thief.

And you’re talking about Ricochet not working with P/D3 – so what? Then don’t pick the Ricochet trait! That’s what there is choices for. Condition damage bonus traits don’t work with a power/prec/ferocity build, doesn’t mean those traits gotta go, does it? Logic man, logic.

Oh and I have no idea what you’re smoking but YES Ricochet DID give p/p its niche and NO p/p has no more options than before, if anything it has less, and NO nobody thinks SB is strong. Whatever aNet is paying you to shill on this thread I’ll double it just so I don’t have to read that nonsense again.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Ghotistyx.6942

Who is Ghost?

And why would p/p deserve ricochet but not other pistol sets?

Fishsticks

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Seabreeze.8437

Guys, Ghotistyx is allowed to have his own opinion on the matter just as everyone is. He/she’s not insulting anyone here. In fact, he/she makes some valid points. You don’t have to agree with them, and it’s not going to change the fact that I personally want Ricochet to return (or at least something very similar), but flaming Ghotistyx and anyone who provides a different point of view isn’t going to get us anywhere. Actually, it’d probably get this thread closed.

Let’s try to keep this thread constructive.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: iDoNotKnowFear.5821

iDoNotKnowFear.5821

Who flamed him? All I read was someone pointing out the flaws in his arguments, which if you’re going to post your opinions which you have every right to, then you must also recognize people have every right to point out the flaws in your opinions.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Seabreeze.8437

And why would p/p deserve ricochet but not other pistol sets?

This ties into the idea that p/p needs more support than just Ricochet (I think you’ve stated this before), and in some respect I agree with this. However, it’s more than just “SB doesn’t fit with someone’s style” as you put it. We’re trying to come up with ways to make pistols a more viable option overall, and the topic of Ricochet seems as good a place to start as any.

Admittedly, dual pistols do feel a little restrictive given that Unload is by far the most useful tool in its kit, whereas the other skills feel pretty sub par, especially the auto-attack (though not without use in certain situations). The problem this set faces is that it’s difficult to buff main-hand or off-hand pistol skills without making other weapon sets (like a combo of dagger and pistol) inadvertently overpowered. I feel this has to do with the fact that the thief’s #3 skill is the only dual wield skill.

Yes, I’m gonna throw it out there despite how unlikely it is: I think dual pistols should have an entirely unique kit; one that truly embodies the fantasy of a stylish trick-shooter. Perhaps it could be part of a new elite specialization, as in only through equipping that spec would your dual pistol skills have a unique kit. I know it’s a wild idea, but maybe it’s an avenue Anet can look into for future specializations (since they did say they plan on adding more specs in the future). I’m just brainstorming here.

Who flamed him? All I read was someone pointing out the flaws in his arguments, which if you’re going to post your opinions which you have every right to, then you must also recognize people have every right to point out the flaws in your opinions.

I was referring Ghotistyx being called a shill and whatnot. I’m just trying to keep this thread from getting closed if it turns into a flame war. Though I’ll admit, making a lame Frozen reference and telling everyone to “let it go” wasn’t the best way to end his post.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: iDoNotKnowFear.5821

iDoNotKnowFear.5821

The guy just said he think Ghotistyx is a shill because his arguments are backing up anet’s statement too much, like to a extreme degree I think. Did not attack him, just his arguemnts. Ghotis had his fair share of snappy comments, and considering this thread is for the people who are voicing their unhappyness about Ricochet being gone “Ricochet…Gone?” and then you got the few people on here like ghotis jumping in and insisting how it’s a good thing and we have no right to be upset and let it go, if anything he the guy thats starting arguments.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: All That is Left.7806

All That is Left.7806

The best part about ricochet was how unpredictable it could behave. And thats where Anet F’d up, not making every other trait as unpredictable as this one was. What they don’t get is the community doesn’t want a game based on skill, but a game more based on luck, like DBZ Ultimate Tenkaichi(rock, paper, scissors) or a D&D game(dice rolls). Start playing attention Anet!!

(edited by All That is Left.7806)

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Seabreeze.8437

The best part about ricochet was how unpredictable it could behave. And thats where Anet F’d up, not making every other trait as unpredictable as this one was. What they don’t get is the community doesn’t want a game based on skill, but a game more based on luck, like DBZ Ultimate Tenkaichi(rock, paper, scissors) or a D&D game(dice rolls). Start playing attention Anet!!

That’s not what we are saying at all, and Ricochet did not turn thieves into an entirely luck-based play style. No need to be so disparaging, dude.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Ghotistyx.6942

…and then you got the few people on here like ghotis jumping in and insisting how it’s a good thing and we have no right to be upset and let it go…

I never implied it was a good thing ricochet was gone, just that it’s not a bad thing, which is a very important distinction to make. I can’t remember if it was this thread out a similar one, but initially I expressed concern over the removal of the trait. However, I realized that p/p’s world doesn’t end with ricochet gone.

And plz, y u h8 on frozen?

Fishsticks

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: LaughingMan.2405

LaughingMan.2405

Just started playing the game again today and noticed this…

I could deal with the incredibly inaccurate remapping of the traits, and having to re-spend skill points on stuff that I already had unlocked (in a linear SWG NGE style), but no more Ricochet? I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get past that. Dual pistols just isn’t the same without it.

I also preferred using P/P over SB for AoE. It may not have been as effective, but SB just isn’t fun to me, at all. Even if it did twice the damage as the next best weapon set, I still wouldn’t use it. I hate having to click to choose my target or press the button multiple times like that. Using P/P with Ricochet let me work around that and still be somewhat effective at AoE, while still having fun.

Please add this back in!

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

All That is Left.7806

That’s not what we are saying at all, and Ricochet did not turn thieves into an entirely luck-based play style. No need to be so disparaging, dude.

Whats so disparaging about agreeing with you, wanting ricochet back into the game, and also having all other traits function as this one does?

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Heh. Who was it who wanted to turn Ricochet into a cone-shaped AoE? Between that, and some form of mobility on the set (mayhap that AoE, and a side-step or John Woo film-style dodge move), that could be an interesting replacement.

Although, reworking the set entire is also (arguably) doable. At least then, we could see a whole “gunslinger” setup, designed from the ground up for tricksy bullet-hell fun.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Warulfen.6549

Warulfen.6549

Okay, so, I’d like to start out by saying that I am far from your average player. I generally care very little for DPS meters or performance, and often avoid meta builds completely unless they happen to appeal to me.

Instead, I build my characters around two things; the Rule of Cool, and the Rule of Fun. I want my thief to look good and feel good.

Currently, only half of that last statement actually works. Does my thief look good? Absolutely. I love the wardrobe system in GW2, and likely change outfits more than I should.

However, since the removal of ricochet, the thief doesn’t feel as good as it used to. D/D is still fun to me, twirling and backstabbing all over the place. But my pistols? I remember leveling through Orr just before the patch, and having to defend a pact castle from waves of undead. The rangers fired barrages and cut through swathes of risen with their rapid fire, while warriors lit ranks on fire and engineers fired mortars and set up turrets.

I stood there, pewpewing away with my pistols. Ricochet was fun, and I felt like I contributed at least something to the fight, especially against the bigger and tougher mobs and leaders. Perhaps not as good at AoE as others, but eh. It looked and felt amazing!

Fast forwards to yesterday, and I am running through the Living Story Season 2. An event pops up in Dry Top , where we have to defend a settlement from skritt thieves. The rangers fire volleys of arrows, the warriors snipe ranks of enemies with their Deadly Shots, and engineers blast down waves of skritt thieves with flamethrower turrets and grenades.

And then there is me, with my pistols. Plonking away at a single skritt.

Please bring back ricochet T.T

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Reinn.7436

Reinn.7436

I wish the p/p would be something cool. Like doing some breezy moves similar to Christian Bale on that Equilibrium movie while hitting Unload.

That’ll be kitty-kat awesome.

“Even thieves have principles to follow.”

-Chinese Proverb.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Seabreeze.8437

Heh. Who was it who wanted to turn Ricochet into a cone-shaped AoE? Between that, and some form of mobility on the set (mayhap that AoE, and a side-step or John Woo film-style dodge move), that could be an interesting replacement.

Although, reworking the set entire is also (arguably) doable. At least then, we could see a whole “gunslinger” setup, designed from the ground up for tricksy bullet-hell fun.

I think a kit rework would be good if it was done through a Gunslinger elite spec. Obviously it hasn’t been done before, and who knows how likely it is that it’d ever happen, but with Anet you never know. Just an idea to explore.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Zeem.2564

Zeem.2564

I’d probably be willing to accept P/P as a single-target class if that single target damage was actually decent.

But no, all that’s happened is nerf, nerf and nerf. They might as well just delete Thief altogether for the ‘purity’ of the game as a whole.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Seabreeze.8437

I’d probably be willing to accept P/P as a single-target class if that single target damage was actually decent.

But no, all that’s happened is nerf, nerf and nerf. They might as well just delete Thief altogether for the ‘purity’ of the game as a whole.

Well with the right traits and stats, P/P can actually hit pretty hard. The problem is that the weapon set is just so bland now. Dual pistols as a set were already far too reliant on a single skill and needed support before the removal of Ricochet. Now I feel like it needs a lot more work to make it shine, especially in PvE.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Shogun.7401

Shogun.7401

We need Ricochet back

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

We need Ricochet back

[SA]

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

So how about getting Ricochet back? Yup we need to leave this one on page one.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

All That is Left.7806

Thats the most laughable statement I’ve seen on this thread. Because you can’t use p/p to the degree you could before, Thief is useless now? lmao You sir, deserve all the win. GG!

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Thats the most laughable statement I’ve seen on this thread. Because you can’t use p/p to the degree you could before, Thief is useless now? lmao You sir, deserve all the win. GG!

It’s actually common knowledge at this point that the thief is much weaker than it should be.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

My bleeds from Stealth attack used to be 4400, down to 3200. My damage from Spider Venom poison used to be 1600, down to 726. Damage from Death Blossom used to be over 6600, down to 5200.

So as a condi thief I am doing a considerably LESS amount of damage, meanwhile all other classes get boosts to passive defenses and much more damage.

AND…I don’t even have Ricochet to at least tag more than one person in a team fight.

Over 10,000 views and still getting ignored. Thanks aNet.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Seabreeze.8437

Over 10,000 views and still getting ignored. Thanks aNet.

Call me woefully optimistic, but having no dev responses doesn’t necessarily mean we’re being ignored.

I’m not really expecting a dev to reply to this thread, nor am I demanding one. I simply created this thread with the hopes that Anet understands how enjoyable a trait like Ricochet was, and the diversity it brought to not only dual pistol thieves, but any pistol thief build. If there is no chance of seeing this particular trait coming back, then I hope other avenues are being explored to make gunslingers as fun as they used to be, or even better!

Shoot for the stars! Literally!

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

What is wrong with using Shortbow for AoE situations and switching to P/P for single target situations?

The Ricochet removal was probably done because Shortbow is the AoE weapon and Pistol the single target one.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Zeem.2564

Zeem.2564

What is wrong with using Shortbow for AoE situations and switching to P/P for single target situations?

The Ricochet removal was probably done because Shortbow is the AoE weapon and Pistol the single target one.

So yeah, they’re basically telling us to play something else. Balance? Yeah right.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

So yeah, they’re basically telling us to play something else. Balance? Yeah right.

Hmm, yeah and what’s the link with “balance” in the first place?

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: bakuretso.7125

bakuretso.7125

We need Ricochet back

Anet, any comments?

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Ausfer.1853

Ausfer.1853

I have not touched my thief since Anet removed riccochet and nerfed the heck out of Acrobatics. Those two really needed eachother, since p/p had poor mobility and no shadowsteps, you HAD to rely on a lot of dodging. Signet of Malice is also nowhere near as good without Riccochet. Basically, my entire build has been killed.

I don’t want to sound extra salty, but with these changes, plus the other nerfs, it feels like Anet is telling us to “go dagger backstab or go home”. Thief feels so incredibly restrictive and limiting in playstyle now.

I have not touched my thief in ages and that saddens me.

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: Nemaides.6873

Nemaides.6873

Hi, fellow thieves, and Anet team (if eventually, you guys read this post …).

I’ve played thief since the beginning of gw2, and as all of us, I am really disappointed by the recent disappearing of the Ricochet trait.

I’ve never been a great fan of P/P build, but I enjoyed having this trait in roaming D/P. The mechanism of this trait was not only fun, but gave awesome control with headshot, mobility using shadow shot on group of ennemies and brought confusion (not the condi) between them (2 or 3 teleport and let’s play where is Waldo).

I couldn’t agree more that we need ricochet back.

Moreover, I can’t stop myself to ask : how can a trait just be removed, without any word from Anet, nor in the patch note or anywhere else, and without any contribution on this post just to have a beginning of explanation.

How then can you, Anet, write things like :
“We are committed to our players and believe we remain the single best value in the MMO space. […] It is to our community—past, present, and future—that we are committed. Thank you for your understanding, and we look forward to seeing you in game.”
Well, removing a trait beloved by the thiefs PVEers and not even taking care of warn or explain why, is a huge proof of commitment to your player/community.

P.S.: sorry for the probable mistakes, english is not my native language

Ricochet... gone???

in Thief

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

I’ve never been a great fan of P/P build, but I enjoyed having this trait in roaming D/P. The mechanism of this trait was not only fun, but gave awesome control with headshot, mobility using shadow shot on group of ennemies and brought confusion (not the condi) between them (2 or 3 teleport and let’s play where is Waldo).

I couldn’t agree more that we need ricochet back.

Well, removing a trait beloved by the thiefs PVEers and not even taking care of warn or explain why, is a huge proof of commitment to your player/community.

agree