Rifle Thief: how does it make you feel?

in Thief

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

Well, now that we know it’s on the horizon what do you WvW players think about this?

you know, seeing as it will effect y’all primarily

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in Thief

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

We only have two rifle classes to compare with in the game currently.

If it’s like the engie rifle-thats-really-a-kittenty-shotgun no one will carry that laughable kitten.

If its like the warrior rifle we may as well just stop playing the game because its version of killshot gonna be 360 no-scope insta-kills from stealth on zero cooldown while dodging and jumping at the same time.

Note that I am assuming you are talking about rifle thieves and not actually rife thieves, the unpleasantly common kittens.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

in Thief

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

We only have two rifle classes to compare with in the game currently.

If it’s like the engie rifle-thats-really-a-kittenty-shotgun no one will carry that laughable kitten.

If its like the warrior rifle we may as well just stop playing the game because its version of killshot gonna be 360 no-scope insta-kills from stealth on zero cooldown while dodging and jumping at the same time.

Note that I am assuming you are talking about rifle thieves and not actually rife thieves, the unpleasantly common kittens.

:3 typing on a phone sorry

I hear only one dodge but power damage rifle. Shadow step + rifle + stealth is gonna be ahaha, a funking nightmare

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

(edited by choovanski.5462)

in Thief

Posted by: zedapoc.1493

zedapoc.1493

I will abuse it to the fullest extent possible, completely ruining the wvw experience of all that I can. It will be a glorious time.

I even always respect duels, but the troll factor on rifle thief will be too high…everyone will be blown up for luls.

in Thief

Posted by: Xtinct.7031

Xtinct.7031

I will abuse it to the fullest extent possible, completely ruining the wvw experience of all that I can. It will be a glorious time.

I even always respect duels, but the troll factor on rifle thief will be too high…everyone will be blown up for luls.

Yea, suspect it will be overtuned for the first few months of the expansion and will make baby jesus cry especially if anet offers an unblockable utility to accompany the 1500 range rifle stealth bomb attack.

in Thief

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

I suspect if that is the case we will see thief hunters and everyone will deliberately bleed out, seige and corpse jump every thief they see….

….so not too much different now for some I guess

in Thief

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

It will make zero difference, as this game has been dead/trash for roaming for a long time.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

in Thief

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I suspect it’s going to be this 12 ini cost skill that completely 100-0’s you in half an eye blink AND it’ll be bugged like some skills on HoT release in that it will do DOUBLE DAMAGE coughgunflamecough.

I mean, things are already easy enough on warri via “On My Mark” → enter berserk mode with intelligence sig rifle → “gunflame” → most squishies die after #3…

I really hope it’s not clunky like engi rifle.

in Thief

Posted by: DeNdReTiC.3481

DeNdReTiC.3481

rifle thief is laziness on anets part to not want to create a third skill for all the other weapons which is really sad. Make a 1h weapon for thief so we can get some diversity from dp kitten

in Thief

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Hey let’s give the class with the most mobility a 1200 range weapon so they can even troll more, now from a distance.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in Thief

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Well, now that we know it’s on the horizon what do you WvW players think about this?

you know, seeing as it will effect y’all primarily

Only trolls will benefit from this I fear. Invisible killshots coming from miles away… thats just great.

in Thief

Posted by: beatthedown.2651

beatthedown.2651

I like the concept. There should at least be a risk involved with rifle, like a movement debuff for a few seconds while using the new skills. Also don’t forget there won’t be any Pul. Impact anymore, so the Thief won’t be that strong with existing weapon sets. Reflects are also a thing if he does not get too much unblocklable uptime.

Edit: I also highly doubt the new spec will have three dodges.

(edited by beatthedown.2651)

in Thief

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Rifle on thief might actually make me dust off my thief that i barely touch and troll WvW so hard. I will abuse that million mile range insta burst till it gets its eventual nerf.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in Thief

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Rifle on thief might actually make me dust off my thief that i barely touch and troll WvW so hard. I will abuse that million mile range insta burst till it gets its eventual nerf.

Told you…

in Thief

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Rifle will shoot out tiny thieves that all backstab you.

in Thief

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

Stealth plus range, what could possibly go wrong with that.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

in Thief

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I like the concept. There should at least be a risk involved with rifle, like a movement debuff for a few seconds while using the new skills. Also don’t forget there won’t be any Pul. Impact anymore, so the Thief won’t be that strong with existing weapon sets. Reflects are also a thing if he does not get too much unblocklable uptime.

Edit: I also highly doubt the new spec will have three dodges.

People have to be aware of a danger for reflect skill to even enter the equation. A 1200 range invisible sniper isn’t going to trigger reflection skills.

in Thief

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

Stealth plus range, what could possibly go wrong with that.

Oh the tears that will come ! :-D

in Thief

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Just to remind everyone the three dodges is part of the daredevil line, they can regen a lot of endurance with acro but they don’t get the special dodges or extra one and cannot use daredevil with the new line.

I would think the new style will enhance a more ranged style of combat maybe enhancing a one shot or set up for a kill style. This could benefit a number of weapon sets where you take advantage of situations and set ups.

in Thief

Hexalot.8194

Just to remind everyone the three dodges is part of the daredevil line, they can regen a lot of endurance with acro but they don’t get the special dodges or extra one and cannot use daredevil with the new line.

I would think the new style will enhance a more ranged style of combat maybe enhancing a one shot or set up for a kill style. This could benefit a number of weapon sets where you take advantage of situations and set ups.

Who cares about kitten dodges. Rifle (assuming it’s not the Engie version) will likely make Thief a sniper. Like others have said, throw in stealth and watch Trolls have a kitten good time !

(edited by Hexalot.8194)

in Thief

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

This is the thing I said would never happen because it’d be really dumb if it did. It’s like a bad joke.

If thieves had stealth/evades on weapon skills instead of utilities, it could work out. That way, the most powerful mechanics could be gated in a meaningful way. As it stands, every weapon has access to huge mobility, evades and stealth…so adding range to that just seems like a recipe for the most ulcer-inducing class out of any mmo I’ve ever played including the ones that got cancelled in beta for being too terrible.

Perhaps a team of crack designers could pull it off, but…

edit: I main a thief, lol

in Thief

Spartacus.3192

Told you…

I personally never play Thief in wvw (i usually play War/DH/Druid) but i fear that i’m going to get so frustrated with getting killed by stealth rifle thieves that i want to be one to help increase the forum QQ so that it gets nerfed asap. Assuming its goint to be OP of course. Weird logic but i dont care.

in Thief

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

In other games, sniper classes tend to be balanced by having low defense and low mobility. Yes, they can deal massive damage at range, but if you get in close on one, they’re going to have a bad time.

I really hope something similar exists here, or we’ll see rifle thieves pew-pewing with 4k auto-attacks, then swap to shortbow and escape the second someone looks at them. That’d be bad for the game.

in Thief

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

rifle thief will get just one dodge instead the 3 from DD. Probably most skills will have a long casting.
That spec it is meant to static long range massive damage type they say. Which i think is fine as long as they are not like rifle warrior: 3k damage every second + bursts + insane immunities and regen.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Thief

Spartacus.3192

rifle thief will get just one dodge instead the 3 from DD. Probably most skills will have a long casting.
That spec it is meant to static long range massive damage type they say. Which i think is fine as long as they are not like rifle warrior: 3k damage every second + bursts + insane immunities and regen.

Every class has access to TWO dodges why do you say non daredevil thief will have only ONE?

in Thief

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Some of us were speculating and joking about possible elite specs on Mag last week. I think I had the biggest laugh when I said what if rifle for Thief was a healing weapon. Then someone said “watergun.” Then I said imagine a watergun rifle with Shadow Arts.

You never know. Just look at longbow Guard and how many people were sceptical about that.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Thief

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

It will likely be the number one ranged physical spec in the game. And, out dps ranger by just spamming 1 skill.

I wish I was kidding, but this is Arenanet’s track record.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

in Thief

Posted by: zedapoc.1493

zedapoc.1493

Every class has access to TWO dodges why do you say non daredevil thief will have only ONE?

Even if they do only get 1 dodge, it won’t matter. Everyone will run full zerk/scholar runes with w/e else, cast shadow refuge and roflburst kids 100-0. If that doesn’t work it’s just shortbow 5 spam and a shadow step to safety or try number 2.

Thief is in a spot that if the spec isn’t that strong it’ll never see the light of day unless it brings some serious toe-to-toe brawler ability, which wouldn’t make much sense.

in Thief

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

In other games, sniper classes tend to be balanced by having low defense and low mobility. Yes, they can deal massive damage at range, but if you get in close on one, they’re going to have a bad time.

I really hope something similar exists here, or we’ll see rifle thieves pew-pewing with 4k auto-attacks, then swap to shortbow and escape the second someone looks at them. That’d be bad for the game.

If they sacrifice mobility it could be acceptable. However, I just don’t see how they can prevent them keeping absurd mobility unless they limit the class to one weapon to prevent shortbow.

in Thief

Posted by: Napo.1230

Napo.1230

Imagine if they made it a support weapon to allow them to zerg I’d laugh my kitten off.
Either that or a condi weapon because anet no how much we love condi in wvw.

But in all fairness this is probably gonna be a op blaster and the final nail in the small scale scene for me.

in Thief

Hexalot.8194

Even if they do only get 1 dodge, it won’t matter. Everyone will run full zerk/scholar runes with w/e else, cast shadow refuge and roflburst kids 100-0. If that doesn’t work it’s just shortbow 5 spam and a shadow step to safety or try number 2.

Thief is in a spot that if the spec isn’t that strong it’ll never see the light of day unless it brings some serious toe-to-toe brawler ability, which wouldn’t make much sense.

That’s true. Anet painted themselves into a corner with the Dare Devil line.

in Thief

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

Everyone will run full zerk/scholar runes with w/e else, cast shadow refuge and roflburst kids 100-0. If that doesn’t work it’s just shortbow 5 spam and a shadow step to safety or try number 2.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up being a condi spec.

in Thief

Posted by: TheDarkSoul.1938

TheDarkSoul.1938

Eh, I’m SHOCKED a post like this one was made. Seriously, shocked. /s

I think we’re all jumping the gun abit here (no pun intended). We don’t know ANYTHING about the spec, besides the rifle part + the rumour about it having one Dodge (which isn’t even confirmed to be true is it?)

So why are people ALREADY complaining? There have already been great examples of Rifle specs created by members of the community (Deceiver X’s Deadeye spec comes to mind) that involve absolutely none of this whole “one shot sniper” nonsense. Yeah, true enough that Anet doesn’t have a great track record when it comes to this stuff and I wouldn’t really be SURPRISED if we got some cheesy glass cannon BS. But the fact that before we know anything at all about the spec there are people calling us “trolls” and the like simply for getting excited about the possibility, however small, of Thieves having an actual ranged weapon that doesn’t just use skill 5 is stupid.

Wait until some actual concrete details get released until you start up bashing the spec for being OP and ridiculous, lol.

Fissure Of Woe – [lpe]
I Silent – Thief
…. That’s about it.

in Thief

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Thief loses ability to stealth by leaks.

in Thief

coro.3176

Why?

Because thief is already a high burst, high mobility class. It’s somewhat balanced by the fact that it needs to be in close range to deal damage, so an opponent can react and fight back.

If you add 1500 range to that and keep the same amount of mobility & burst thieves already have, most classes won’t be able to touch them. There will be basically no counterplay, and it won’t be much fun.

in Thief

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

watch, its gonna be a condi weapon….
bahahahaha

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in Thief

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

watch, its gonna be a condi weapon….
bahahahaha

I admit I would laugh if it was a 1.5k range crippler and healer.

in Thief

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

Dont forget: Thieves are the only profession that is allowed to slot not 4, but 5 traitlines!

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in Thief

TheDarkSoul.1938

IF he keeps his burst. IF he keeps his mobility. That’s the point, we have no idea if either of those things will be a feature of the elite spec. For all we know, it could limit Thief to one weapon only (no SB), remove Steal and swap it for something else, and have absolutely no stealth mechanic at all. It might not even be a burst spec. It could be support, condi, sustained DPS. We don’t know yet, so complaining about IF this and IF that is pointless. Save the complaining for when we get some details and it turns out that yeah, it is a crappy one shot burst spec.

All this is as of right now is “Waaaa Thief might get a decent ranged weapon omg so OP”. Its nonsense.

Fissure Of Woe – [lpe]
I Silent – Thief
…. That’s about it.

in Thief

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

IF he keeps his burst. IF he keeps his mobility. That’s the point, we have no idea if either of those things will be a feature of the elite spec. For all we know, it could limit Thief to one weapon only (no SB), remove Steal and swap it for something else, and have absolutely no stealth mechanic at all. It might not even be a burst spec. It could be support, condi, sustained DPS. We don’t know yet, so complaining about IF this and IF that is pointless. Save the complaining for when we get some details and it turns out that yeah, it is a crappy one shot burst spec.

All this is as of right now is “Waaaa Thief might get a decent ranged weapon omg so OP”. Its nonsense.

How dare they give that profession a weapon that has 1200 range! No other profession has weapons that are 1200! Wait…

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in Thief

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

How dare they give that profession a weapon that has 1200 range! No other profession has weapons that are 1200! Wait…

I don’t think that 1200 range alone is what people fear. Its 1200 range with massive damage, mobility and stealth that make people anticipate the worst. It would be ridiculous to have all this.

in Thief

TheDarkSoul.1938

I know. The nerve.

Its absolutely mind-boggling that people are legit complaining about this simple fact before we even have any details about the spec, lol.

Fissure Of Woe – [lpe]
I Silent – Thief
…. That’s about it.

in Thief

coro.3176

It’s players voicing their concerns about what might happen.

When HoT was announced, all the players in the engi forum posted threads saying

“Please don’t give us more AI”.

When scrapper was announced, more threads went up begging

“Please please please please don’t give us more AI”

… and they didn’t listen.

Maybe they’ll listen to these threads. They probably won’t, but .. gotta try, right?

in Thief

TheDarkSoul.1938

Listen? I’m 100% sure that the specs are pretty much finished, at least in concept. Anet probably have all the details of the specs worked out and have almost certainly started testing and balancing them (if Anet stick to schedule with the whole Expac release timing). I think we’re past the point of Anet looking at these forums and changing anything (as if they do that anyway).

“Voicing concerns” is fine. Outright complaining and screaming “OMG THIEF IS GETTING A RANGED WEAPON OMG SO OP HOW DARE THEY GET STOOPID BURST STOOPID MOBILITY STOOPID SUSTAIN STOOPID STEALTH STOOPID EVERYTHING” all because of one weapon before we even know wtf the spec does and how it interacts with the other core traitlines is… Stoopid.

I could easily use the same logic and scream about the possibility of Warrior getting a massive speed (in terms of attack speed) and mobility coming with the double dagger weapons but complaining that THAT would be busted if he kept his insane burst and sustain.

Why am I not doing that (and nobody else?) Because its stupid to do so for all the same reasons.

This is exactly the same as all the other kittened “nerf Thief” “Thief OP” “Thief 2 fast 4 me” threads of the past. The sole reason people complain is because its Thief, despite the fact that as of right now there’s absolutely nothing to complain about. Lol.

Fissure Of Woe – [lpe]
I Silent – Thief
…. That’s about it.

in Thief

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

In order for it to be remotely balanced as a Deadeye style physical damage weapon, they’d have to restrict almost all of the utility skills. Since there’s no precedent for restricting any of them, we complain.

If it’s condi, they’re still have to restrict the stealth/mobility utility skills or it’ll be a huge pain.

If it’s healing, then Deadeye is a very misleading name and it’s going to feel really weird shooting your allies in the back to heal them.

Basically, we don’t know the details, but no matter how the details pan out, it’s going to be a problem. I’d bet my right hand on it.

in Thief

Posted by: Napo.1230

Napo.1230

For wvw/pvp it’s either gonna be amazing and broke or not burst which means it won’t get used.
Either way the forums will erupt.
If it’s good nerf it.
If it’s worse than D/p complain it’s useless.

People saying “don’t complain until you know”
The leaks were pretty extensive and we no how anet balance.

Also 10G it’s a condi weapon

in Thief

TheDarkSoul.1938

Why in the world would they have to restrict utility skills? AGAIN, we have no idea how the elite spec will play. For all we know, Stealth would be about as useful as it is on other classes (Ranger/Mesmer) and that’s not exactly considered “OP”. So that’s Blinding Powder out. If the dodge rumour is true, SoA is out too. Shadowstep is in a sizable CD and isn’t much different from mobility skills from other classes (who also have ranged weapons, e.g. Staff 3 on Ranger, ANY of Mesmers ports) only differences being that it breaks stuns….. But that’s all it does. So again, I don’t see why that’s an issue. Block wont be accessible obviously, nowhere near as much evasion (again if rumour is true)… I could go on. Saying a physical DPS spec can’t have access to utility skills is absolutely ridiculous, even more so when you have no clue what that physical DPS will look like. Where’s the logic?

Condi: again, Blinding Powder and Shadow Refuge. If you can’t handle 3 seconds of stealth then you have no right to complain, especially considering that without the evades from Daredevil, Thief won’t be able to create as much distance after disengaging with only one, presumably standard, Dodge roll unless he uses other skills as well, in which case he’s using a utility skill on a pretty long CD that most people don’t even take anymore solely to reposition, which AGAIN, isn’t unheard of in the game right noe from other professions. Lol. Then there’s Shadow Refuge… If you even complained about THAT then I don’t know what to say. A thief with a single evade dropping that anywhere near you would be tantamount to suicide if you just AoE bomb on the Refuge.

I’d be surprised if its healing but honestly a name is a name and I don’t think anyone would care. It could be a support spec based around helping your teammates land extra damage “more accurately” which I suppose would fit the Deadeye name. Sorta like a “Spotter”, which would be kinda interesting IMO.

Anyway, in regards to your first two points, you’re just making sweeping statements that have no logic backing them up. A thief can’t have EVERYTHING, lol. He can’t burst your face off with Crit Strikes + Deadly Arts + Deadeye evade and kite for days with Acro, and stealth reset all day with Shadow Arts. Please stop acting like he can, and then making totally ridiculous statements like " I’m complaining because a rifle thief can use utility skills like all the other 1200+ range classes can, its totally busted". I can’t even…..

Fissure Of Woe – [lpe]
I Silent – Thief
…. That’s about it.

in Thief

Spartacus.3192

All i know is that Thieves annoy the kitten out of me in WvW as it is when im playing double melee war. Ok they cant kill me because i can take the initial burst and can try to hit them back. If rifle even has medium damage it will be a royal pain .

Knowing ANET;s track record I’m pretty confident it will do very decent damage so yeah you could say we are overreacting but i think we will be proved right in the end.

in Thief

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Don’t even know what a Rifle will do for a Thief.

Currently that prof has two real ranged options, pistols and shortbow, and neither of these weaponsets have stealth. Offhand Pistol has a smoke field, but you need a Dagger mainhand to Leap finisher that for a stealth.

Neither do we know what the damage will be like. The concern that it will be overtuned is a general concern for all Elite specs because that happend with HoT, and they are still overtuned.
There are currently already plenty of builds that will knock your socks off over a fairly significant range.

in Thief

TheDarkSoul.1938

If you guys are proved right then that’s fine. I’m not saying you’re going to be wrong. I’m saying all the whining is totally kittened at this point because WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT.

People are saying “oh yeah it IS going to be this” and “oh yeah it IS going be OP and annoying to fight against” give me something that made you come to this conclusion other than “I don’t like thief because they’re annoying” and I’ll agree with you. Until then, stop whining.

Fissure Of Woe – [lpe]
I Silent – Thief
…. That’s about it.