Rune of Mesmer\Sigil of Paralyzation issues

in Thief

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

I know that many thieves use both Runes and Sigil or only Sigil of Paralyzation for boosting the duration of Daze when using Sword\Dagger set but I don’t notice any difference in the duration when I am in SPvP
Am I doing something wrong?
For PvE and WvW, the sigil works pretty well, even tho it shouln’t boost the Daze duration looking at the skill tooltip, but it does..
now.. is the Sigil bugged in SPvP? or is it bugged in WvW and working as intended in SPvP?
Are Runes of the Mesmer somehow bugged cos they seems to not work?
Can anyone please explain me?

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

in Thief

Posted by: Sarrow.2785

Sarrow.2785

There was a nerf a long while ago for the sword sneak attack duration in pvp. That means spvp and tpvp excluding wvw. I cant recall the specifics, but conceivably the spvp daze duration is now too small to be affected overmuch by sigil of paralysation.

Admiral Mournn, Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

The daze duration of Tactical Strike, for example, is 2s outside PvP and 1.5s in PvP.

So +33% is as follows;
2s + 33% = 2.66
1.5s + 33% = 1.99s (or 2s)

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

I’ve been running 6x Mesmer for quite a while now. Just tested Paralyzation with the setup and the PvE duration did not increase using both. I thought I saw somewhere that they do stack but it doesn’t stack enough to make a difference so you’re better off running the runes or the sigil but not both. Not sure how this equates to PvP.

With or without the sigil my Daze lasted exactally as long as my Revealed.

Blood~

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

with 15% +33% its a total of 48%. so you go from a 2 sec stun to a 3 sec stun pretty much. with just one or the other you go up to 2.66 seconds or 2.3 seconds…… do they work / stack and in what mode? im not sure as i have used them but never thought they wouldnt work so i never counted….. can anyone verify a 3 sec stun in wvw or pve?

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Someone mentioned here in the forum that Paralyzation also apply on Daze not just Stun. I’m still skeptical about that, but I cannot disprove it either.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

in Thief

Travlane.5948

daze and stun are basically the same……its like stealth/invisibility as i was informed.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

daze and stun are basically the same……its like stealth/invisibility as i was informed.

Yeah stealth/invis/cloak are the same in function. The reason for different names is because of difference in profession, Ranger’s uses cloak for example, so that makes sense.

Stun, on the other hand, functions very differently from Daze so I fail to grasp the perceived similarity.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stun

Stun
Effect type Control effect Stacking No

— In-game description

A stunned human.
Stun is a powerful control effect which interrupts and completely disables the target.

Being stunned (or dazed or knocked down) prevents all movement and actions, except for activating special skills that have no activation time, such as Signet of Shadows or Shocking Aura. Some of the skills with zero activation time have the ability to break stuns and return your freedom to act.

The Stun effect is shown as swirling white lines and dots around the head.

(see how they throw daze in with the description) basically both interrupt and prevent skill use over x time.

in Thief

Posted by: Xirin.8593

Xirin.8593

Superior Sigil of Paralyzation does indeed affect Tactical Strike’s Daze in PvE (WvW). It does not work in sPvP (or at least Heart of the Mists).

It rounds the Daze up to a full 3 seconds, or at least very close to it. Watch the condition duration on any mob without Sigil and it’ll start at “1s” (0s counts as a full second) for a total of two seconds. With the Sigil you will see it start at “2s” for a total of three seconds.

I have tested this extensively. I have at least two of every Thief weapon, since exotic weapons are basically free now (1g+whatever badges…I have 6k+). I have a Sword with the Sigil and without. I can take some screenshots tonight if anyone wants to see the difference.

[AoN] All or Nothing

(edited by Xirin.8593)

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

The Stun effect is shown as swirling white lines and dots around the head.

(see how they throw daze in with the description) basically both interrupt and prevent skill use over x time.

Stun shows swirling and Daze shows popping bubbles. Stun you can’t use skills nor move (except stun breaker). Daze you can’t use skills, including stun breaker, but you can move.

This is the reason for my skepticism.

The wiki entry is misleading, but like I said, I cannot prove it to be wrong, thus the misleading entry stayed…for now.

in Thief

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

with 15% +33% its a total of 48%. so you go from a 2 sec stun to a 3 sec stun pretty much. with just one or the other you go up to 2.66 seconds or 2.3 seconds…… do they work / stack and in what mode? im not sure as i have used them but never thought they wouldnt work so i never counted….. can anyone verify a 3 sec stun in wvw or pve?

I can verify a 3 second stun in PvE with the 6x Mesmer runes. I can also verify that adding Superior Sigil of Paralyzation does not increase the duration from 3 seconds. Not sure if it’s rounding up to the next second or not. I have not tested daze duration w/o the Mesmer runes.

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

in Thief

Travlane.5948

I can verify a 3 second stun in PvE with the 6x Mesmer runes. I can also verify that adding Superior Sigil of Paralyzation does not increase the duration from 3 seconds. Not sure if it’s rounding up to the next second or not. I have not tested daze duration w/o the Mesmer runes.

u cant get 3 secs from 6x mesmer runes alone….mesmer runes give 33% more time…which is 2 secs plus the extra 33% …aka.....2 × 1.33= 2.666 seconds. could only be 3 secs with the extra 15% from sigil.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

All you have to do is unequip one armor piece then test it.

in Thief

Xirin.8593

u cant get 3 secs from 6x mesmer runes alone….mesmer runes give 33% more time…which is 2 secs plus the extra 33% …aka.....2 × 1.33= 2.666 seconds. could only be 3 secs with the extra 15% from sigil.

Do we know for sure that the mechanic/engine doesn’t round up? The 3rd second with only Sigil of Paralyzation equipped seems to be equal to the other “ticks;” in other words, it appears to be a full second. It certainly does not appear to be only 1/3 of a second (2s x .15), as that would go by very quickly.

[AoN] All or Nothing

in Thief

Travlane.5948

yeah im pretty sure it doesnt round up :P

Headshot

Profession Thief (skill list) Weapon Off-hand pistol

Daze your foe with a head shot.
Damage: 84 (2.0)?
Daze: ¼ s
Combo Finisher: Physical Projectile
Range: 900

doesnt round up to .5 or 1 second. its .25 and easily verified. same with runes/sigils etc…. if it rounded up to the nearest second or 1/2 second it wouldnt say +15% or +33% it would say +.5 or +1.

in Thief

Xirin.8593

I understand the tool tips have fractions of a second. Tool tips also don’t list every aspect of every mechanic. And what do you mean you are pretty sure? I’ve seen it posted previously that they were also pretty sure that it does round up.

Have you tested Sigil of Para and Tactical Strike for yourself? I am literally logged in right now and comparing with and without Sigil only (no Mesmer runes).

The 3rd second is clearly not 1/3 of a second and is almost certainly a full second.

[AoN] All or Nothing

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

I understand the tool tips have fractions of a second. Tool tips also don’t list every aspect of every mechanic. And what do you mean you are pretty sure? I’ve seen it posted previously that they were also pretty sure that it does round up.

Have you tested Sigil of Para and Tactical Strike for yourself? I am literally logged in right now and comparing with and without Sigil only (no Mesmer runes).

The 3rd second is clearly not 1/3 of a second and is almost certainly a full second.

You can’t really based it on the display, you need to actually time it using a 3rd party method (i.e. a stop watch).

A 3s display can mean a timer between 3.0s – 3.99s counting down from 4, not from 3.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

well if u have both it “should” be 2.96 seconds(2×1.48). ive run both as a test but was in spvp so it didnt work. hence me asking about wvw….beforfe i spent money on runes or wasted the ones i have. “the 3rd second is clearly not 1/3 of a second…” this is bc its actually 2/3rds of a second from the 33%….. 2 × 1.33 = 2.66 seconds.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

You can’t really based it on the display, you need to actually time it using a 3rd party method (i.e. a stop watch).

A 3s display can mean a timer between 3.0s – 3.99s counting down from 4, not from 3.

ive tested it to find that it never says 3 seconds….thats me striking and holding the mouse above where the condition pops….although not sure that proves anything bc even if it were to say 3 secs would only be there for a miliblink.

in Thief

Xirin.8593

I know. I’m not claiming with 100% certainty that is adding a full second; I said a few times that it is just most likely more than 1/3 of a second from what I have observed dozens of times now. Perhaps others will chime in with their findings.

If I knew how to do integrated timing with GW2 I would do it; I’ve seen it done in Youtube videos but I don’t know how.

[AoN] All or Nothing

in Thief

Xirin.8593

ive tested it to find that it never says 3 seconds….thats me striking and holding the mouse above where the condition pops….although not sure that proves anything bc even if it were to say 3 secs would only be there for a miliblink.

It never displays “3s.” This would actually be in the >3s range due to the way “0s” is handled by the client. “0s” displayed is the final second; from .99 to .01 seconds before finally wearing off. “0s” is actually 1 second.

If this is what you were basing your conclusions on, then it is flawed. It will display “2s” when it is in the greater than two second range (in this case, the 2 to 3 second range that we are trying to determine).

[AoN] All or Nothing

in Thief

Posted by: bomber.1540

bomber.1540

This has been tried and tested ages ago… Im pretty sure the patch to change daze was Jan or even Dec?

In Spvp, its not worth using either sigil or runes as daze only goes upto about 2 seconds

In Pve and WvW tac stike has a 2 second daze. Using EITHER the runes or the sigil will bumb this daze upto 3 seconds

hence you become a beastly killing machine in PvE and WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Zerbo.5381

Zerbo.5381

I’ve been away for a few months, and am surprised to see the same posts with misunderstandings as back then, lol.

It was already tested and confirmed- Bomber is correct, even with the “killing machine” part.

in Thief

Xirin.8593

Thanks bomber and Zerbo. Glad to see some confirmation of what I found

[AoN] All or Nothing

in Thief

Travlane.5948

It never displays “3s.” This would actually be in the >3s range due to the way “0s” is handled by the client. “0s” displayed is the final second; from .99 to .01 seconds before finally wearing off. “0s” is actually 1 second.

If this is what you were basing your conclusions on, then it is flawed. It will display “2s” when it is in the greater than two second range (in this case, the 2 to 3 second range that we are trying to determine).

yeah. so ahrd to gauge when its like thta

in Thief

Posted by: Sam Halleck.3156

Sam Halleck.3156

Can anyone confirm 2x superior sigil of para and 6x mesmer runes giving a stun over 3 seconds? I sorta want to try a superdaze build.

Sam Halleck – Maguuma
Guild: [iLL] Illusion
Male Sylvari Thief