Rune of Perplexity

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: vinceftw.5086

vinceftw.5086

I’ve just been killed by a thief abusing pistol 4 to give me 25 stacks of confusion because of these kittenty runes. How come that when engineers find a way to exploit something (rune of tormenting), it gets fixed minutes after but when god class thief abuses something, they get away with it. I couldn’t do kitten, due to this broken rune but of course the thief finds this amusing and goes with it.

Elxyria – Engineer / Deluzio – Mesmer
Quickblade Vince – Thief
The Asurnator – Elementalist

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

Thank you for bringing this to light. Respecing right now...

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Ibbuli.4027

Ibbuli.4027

It’s not that OP as you say. He’s basically spamming one condition, which burns all of his initiative … which leads to you probably removing the stacks with one skill.

Uh… No?

Then you’re pretty much dead.

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

It’s not that OP as you say. He’s basically spamming one condition, which burns all of his initiative … which leads to you probably removing the stacks with one skill.

Uh… No?

Then you’re pretty much dead.

^This.
I suppose while he was spamming pistol#4 all you did was standing still spamming #1?

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Azawrath.7304

Azawrath.7304

Lol pretty sure I was this thief :P
Mainly its the P/D condition build with S/P offhand so I can stack confusion and then start stacking bleeds. I was doing it last night after seeing a engi use them on Youtube.

Azawrath the Silent – Thief
Primi Agminis Legio [PAL]
Yaks Bend

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Nickeloneon.8714

Nickeloneon.8714

Warriors also abuse this rune.
Stop blaming thieves for everything.

Nycke / Best warrior evar ~ 11111111111111111-5-F1… I win!!

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Azawrath.7304

Azawrath.7304

“Warriors also abuse this rune.
Stop blaming thieves for everything.”

YES! Thank you so much for pointing this out. Engis also use the rune and they have AoE CC unlike the thief. So please stop blaming everything on the thief.

Azawrath the Silent – Thief
Primi Agminis Legio [PAL]
Yaks Bend

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Yeah, I use these runes too and I can assure you that they are not wildy OP on Thief due to the initiative system. I personally mainly activate them with daze on steal and scorpion wire.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

vinceftw.5086

Yes other classes also use this rune but they don’t have unlimited CC unlike you. With some initiative regen you can have easily 15+ stacks at all times. And guess what? I don’t ahve unlimited condition removal, which everyone seems to think I do. If I use my condition removal, he just puts the stacks rights back. And he has access to bleeds to, in case you don’t remember the pistol auto attack.

The runes are broken as hell, on all classes, but the thief can spam CC, unlike any other class.

Quickblade Vince – Thief

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

vinceftw.5086

@Nearlight: I cannot believe what you just said. Initiative is the reason it’s wildly OP because you can daze, daze, daze, daze, auto attack, stealth (heal or blinding powder), sneak attack, daze, daze, daze. Very skilled, not OP at all.

Quickblade Vince – Thief

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

@Nearlight: I cannot believe what you just said. Initiative is the reason it’s wildly OP because you can daze, daze, daze, daze, auto attack, stealth (heal or blinding powder), sneak attack, daze, daze, daze. Very skilled, not OP at all.

I literally just started working with such a spec last night. I can’t play it very well yet but I also haven’t been spamming headshot.

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/thief/?7.0|a.1h.h9.8.1h.h5|8.1h.h1k.a.1h.hd|1h.715.1h.715.1h.715.1h.715.1h.715.1h.715|411.0.21m.0.2x.0.1f.66.1f.66.1b.0|5.0.u45b.5.u37c|30.d|58.5n.5p.5o.5v|e

This is the build link I’ve been running, but with perplexity runes and Settler’s accessories over apothecary exotic ones.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: purgatoryz.6038

purgatoryz.6038

Have you seen the engi and warrior roaming videos? These runes are heavily abused because there’s no internal cooldown on the 5 stacks.

Expect a massive nerf in a future patch. Anything less would be extremely surprising.

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Brienson.7319

Brienson.7319

Have you seen the engi and warrior roaming videos? These runes are heavily abused because there’s no internal cooldown on the 5 stacks.

Expect a massive nerf in a future patch. Anything less would be extremely surprising.

The only thing it is abusing is the stupidity of people who can’t handle a gimmick build that’s completely shut down by stability and a single condi clear.

dragonbrand—

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Mordecai.6318

Mordecai.6318

The only thing it is abusing is the stupidity of people who can’t handle a gimmick build that’s completely shut down by stability and a single condi clear.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Clockwork Bard.3105

Clockwork Bard.3105

There’s an actual video in the engineer forums of this being used to stack 20+ confusion up in a matter of seconds.

Meanwhile, the thief forum has complaining and conjecture.

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Rissou.7213

Rissou.7213

Does the rune only give 1 stack of confusion for each daze?

EDIT: Applies 5 stacks of confusion on interrupt. The ingame text was pretty unclear “Causes 10 seconds of Confusion on interrupt.”

EDIT again: I just bought the runes and fooled around with p/p full carrion 0/0/20/20/30. Headshot interupts auto attacks, so it was easy to stack confusion against most people and I am surprised how well it works.

1 problem is when someone use stability.

Thief.

(edited by Rissou.7213)

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

I thought thieves didn’t have good enough interrupts to do that. This thread has enlightened me. Thanks. Gonna go get me a set now.

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

vinceftw.5086

Of course. How could I forget not to use stability all the time. Oh right, only warrior and guardian have them for crazy uptime. And you’re right, one condition clear is of course enough for the confusion (unless he also has some bleeds, poison on you) and for the confusion in the future that is stacked right back in 5 seconds.

The runes are amazingly broken but none of them are so cheesy as the thief, who just presses 2 buttons, 1 and 4.

I do agree with the others. The runes should really be nerfed hard and the classes that are supposed to have confusion, need their weapon skills/traits buffed.

Quickblade Vince – Thief

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Heizero.9183

Heizero.9183

Engineers use this rune much better. i have watched them easily get up to 25 stacks witht he use of their own MANY confuse applying class skills, along with the abundance of CC they have. I think the Thief forums is the wrong place to bring it up tbh…

Commander Unyielding Shadow – Human Thief
Champion Shadow
Better Luck Next Time [BLNT]-Sea of Sorrows

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Silver.4798

Silver.4798

These runes will defn get nerfed, so don’t fret =D

@Vince, you do realize P/D build in general uses 2 buttons, sometimes 3, right? CnD, 1, 1, 1, 3! 1, 1, CnD, 1, 1, 1… etc. Why no massive outrage over the OP-ness of this!

In other news, I love threads like this, it actually informs me about thing I didn’t even consider! Now I must try it

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Assassin X.8573

Assassin X.8573

Don’t attack with 25 stacks confusion LoL.

Darkhaven Gold Tiger Assassin X [JPGN][Sold][VII]
Videos on Youtube

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Mordecai.6318

Of course. How could I forget not to use stability all the time. Oh right, only warrior and guardian have them for crazy uptime. And you’re right, one condition clear is of course enough for the confusion (unless he also has some bleeds, poison on you) and for the confusion in the future that is stacked right back in 5 seconds.

The runes are amazingly broken but none of them are so cheesy as the thief, who just presses 2 buttons, 1 and 4.

I do agree with the others. The runes should really be nerfed hard and the classes that are supposed to have confusion, need their weapon skills/traits buffed.

The runes aren’t even in sPvP, they aren’t even remotely useful in PvE, and they only make any sense for someone roaming around in WvW in 1v1 or 1v2 scenarios. They serve basically no purpose in end-game regardless of server tier because every toon that’s built to maximize their effectiveness will not succeed in a zerg.

The runeset is simply making people have to pay attention like they did before the confuse nerf. Since most people are overwhelmed by this 10 button MMO, they have a problem and its laughable.

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

vinceftw.5086

I don’t think you guys understand this… It’s not having 15-25 stacks once that’s gamebreaking. It’s having that at ALL times during the fight. And nobody cares if the build isn’t in Spvp or not good for zergs because there are other ways to play.

Quickblade Vince – Thief

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Just don’t tell him that it can bounce with the trait and interrupt 2 people :P

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Mordecai.6318

I don’t think you guys understand this… It’s not having 15-25 stacks once that’s gamebreaking. It’s having that at ALL times during the fight. And nobody cares if the build isn’t in Spvp or not good for zergs because there are other ways to play.

I’ve fought engi’s, warriors, and thieves with the runeset and won every fight easily on a variety of classes. No class has the that many stacks on at all times. Warriors interrupts are on long enough cool downs that stripping it and capitalizing while they are down is completely plausible. Engi’s have the most access and make the best use of it, but most of their attacks are telegraphed and easily avoided. If you understand the ways in which they will combo you to stack confusion, you can avoid it pretty easily.

Like I said, you just have to pay attention.

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

After using this rune and winning a bunch of 1v2s, 1v3s, and even a 1v5 using runes of perplex. + scorp wire + basilik on a p/d set…this thing is definitely really powerful. They should change the interrupt to apply 2 stacks, and the #4 of the rune to apply 5 stacks. CC builds won’t hurt that much, but the rune will still be viable. You also won’t be able to spam 25 stacks of confusion. A nerf that changes the interrupt to 1 stack is too big a nerf, though. The rune would be useless at that point.

(edited by Doomdesire.9365)

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

We get away with it now because anet is tired of the thief kittening.

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Ichishi.9613

Ichishi.9613

I don’t use this. But I love the idea of random people dieing from not bothering to stop spamming skills.
Condition that does nothing if you do nothing.

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

thiefs are OP !
nerf them more !

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

Funniest rune ever. I lol everytime I fight a mesmer.

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Clockwork Bard.3105

Clockwork Bard.3105

Condition that does nothing if you do nothing.

Yup, I remember that last match I won by doing nothing. That was good times.

Joking aside, yeah, thief is probably one of the easier professions to deal with this on the defensive. Especially something like a backstab thief, whose normal style of play is to do little to nothing while you find an opening, stealth (there by cleansing the condition) and then bursting down the opponent before anything can be reapplied. They’re also far less likely to be interrupted in the first place. Likewise, other professions can generally counter it in capable hands. My Mesmer brings Arcane Thievery, cuz: lol.

Where the problem seems to lie is the separation between the middle and lower tier players. It’s large stacks of confusion that rewards fairly sloppy play. By spray and praying interrupts, low level input can get mid-tier results, thanks to rather insane uptime compared to other forms of confusion.

(edited by Clockwork Bard.3105)

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: ghettogenius.9174

ghettogenius.9174

Superior sigil of generosity for the win.

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

Funny, “you just have to cleanse/stop attacking, duh” is exactly what most mesmers where saying before getting their confusion application skills/trait nerfed to the ground. And they could only reliably get about 10-12 stacks, for 3 or 4s.
Fast forward to now, where you can put reliably 15+ stacks permanently.
I would really, really be surprised if this rune doesn’t get the nerfbat (at least an ICD).

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

Looks like it’s going to get nerfed. (into the ground)

All is vain.

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Dasboba.1652

Dasboba.1652

The difference in the engineer using interupts to stack this is that the engineer’s interupts are all on long cooldowns. Also being aoe interupts, adding an icd to the rune would make it worthless. Likewise, the engineer has confusion stacking within their abilities/kits and many people think they are just stacking by interupts. I could already stack a ton of confusion prior to these runes coming out. I guess the argument here is that it’s possible to spam interupts using pistol 4 due to the mechanics of the thief. I have a thief, mesmer, and engy, and when these first came out, my first thought was to break out my old condition thief due to the spammable pistol 4. Instead I put them on my engineer. Having used them, I think they need to be reduced to 2-3 stacks per interrupt with possibly a shorter duration. That would come closer to balancing the runes. As I said before, an icd breaks this and makes it as useless as the tormenting runes. They were obviously made for mesmers to use w/their other aoe interupting abilities, so it will be interesting to see how anet fixes them. Personally, I’m hoping for x% confusion damage instead of on interupt. That would boost the professions that already can stack confusion, and get rid of the whining about spammable interupts on all the forums.

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Ichishi.9613

Ichishi.9613

Well if Anet won’t find time to address this properly, it will be nerfed to the ground for sure.
Like it always was. Introduce > QQ > nerf > QQ > forgotten. “new content”.
In guild wars 1, it was normal to devastate a stupid opponent with a single skill. Why should GW2 become so casual and hard-fail-friendly all the time?

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: DigitalMaster.4870

DigitalMaster.4870

Why would they nerf something that doesnt show up in structured PvP anyway?

there is hardly any balance in WvW

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

They still nerfed confusion damage in WvW by 50% not so long ago. So I would say it’s entirely possible for them to nerf on WvW basis.

Rune of Perplexity

in Thief

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

They still nerfed confusion damage in WvW by 50% not so long ago. So I would say it’s entirely possible for them to nerf on WvW basis.

I feel like this is correct, I have been running these on my engie, and I can’t wait for them to nerf the runeset so I can get out of this stupid interrupt build.

I have a thief as well, and based on a guildies suggestion, theory crafted a s/p – p/d build but even with a trap and scorpion wire, this would be too far from my play style to be effective.

I ran into no less that 3 other engineers running these last night, and honestly, we all agreed they were stupid OP… esp considering our AoE interrupts. Big Ol’ Bomb and supply crate alone spread up to 50 stacks of confusion among 5-10 potential targets. Not to mention that we already have confusion stacking with concussion bomb, pistol 3 and pry bar… all of which have a possible interrupt skill as well.

Stability is obviously a hard counter and while I use Mine on engineer for the boon removal, I think thief would really shine simply because a s/d – s/p build for the Larcenous Strike. Trait for the daze on steal and focus down a target with s/p and 25 stacks of confusion.

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD