S/D Deadeye sPvP build - No Rifle

in Thief

Posted by: All Matters Fecal.9560

All Matters Fecal.9560

Working on an sPvP build for S/D and shortbow (because I hate rifle).

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAsYFMGLK/AEAHQ/j2tRE-Tpg9AA7+DQZAA

Dead Eye Traits:
One in the Chamber – Currently testing, but anything in that first column of DE can work
Unforgiving – First attack stuns…great for an opening Flanking Strike/Larcenous Strike
Be Quick or Be Dead – Allows quickness on opener and a flurry of 3k-4k auto attacks from sword for over 5 seconds and a quick heal/Infiltrator’s Return as needed.

Utilities:
Whatever heal you prefer (I use Hide in Shadows for the condi cleanse)
Signet of Agility – For the condi cleanse
Mercy – This allows almost constant quickness (if needed) during a fight due to the on-demand quickness from Be Quick or Be Dead.
Shadow Meld – Still working on whether or not this belongs in an S/D build.

Use your standard power S/D style of combat (jump in and out with Infiltrator’s following a Steal/DE Mark). I hated using Steal as power S/D because it ported me into the fight, but I had no out as I would with Infiltrator’s Return. This rectifies that discrepancy. Most damage will come from quickness and auto attacks after you strip boons as a defensive measure. If you get a good combat rhythm you can kill most classes without taking a hit…unless you’re not paying attention to a Rifle Dead Eye freecasting at you in the background.

I don’t expect this build to be meta, but it’s an alternative platform to start with for the people that absolutely despise rifle/ranged gameplay. Let’s see what other people come up with.

in Thief

Posted by: Elxdark.9702

Elxdark.9702

Yep, I’ve running something similar and it does really well tbh.

I hope more people realize that S/D DE is actually viable, mostly because it has good matchups.

I think I’ve done so well because it basically deletes holos, it does a huge pressure interrupting/stunning and ripping boons, it’s literally a counter to holo.

Also it does really well vs spellbreakers and weavers the 1v1 specs, so we can dream maybe if they buff some stuff in DE, S/D DE could potentially compete vs DrD D/P.

S/D DE actually reminds me of old acro S/D, agile, high pressure, good 1v1, good mobility and a lot of dodges.

(edited by Elxdark.9702)

in Thief

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

S/D DE actually reminds me of old acro S/D, agile, high pressure, good 1v1, good mobility and a lot of dodges.

Infiltrators worked really well with s/d rifle in wvw, even if it didn’t totally close in it put me back in rifle range to interrupt some. Still miss instant Steal close though pretty often, ouch, even as a get-a-way. I’d likely end up going mostly s/d sb also at some point, why go Kneel without Silent Scope? Having that much stealth with SA and d/p was nice but with dagger OH I’d rather have Unforgiving.

Kash
NSP

in Thief

Posted by: lmaogg.7325

lmaogg.7325

the issue most people have with deadeye if you are using a melee weapon is the lack of steal’s shadowstep. The stolen skills are pretty lame so far as well since they don’t stay.

in Thief

Posted by: Elxdark.9702

Elxdark.9702

the issue most people have with deadeye if you are using a melee weapon is the lack of steal’s shadowstep. The stolen skills are pretty lame so far as well since they don’t stay.

That’s why s/d does better with DE because it has teleport in demand but yeah I miss the steal gap closer.

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

why not just go da/acro/tri? surely da or even crit strikes would be better if you dont use a rifle

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Yes s/d works very good with DE. With recent changes to Acro and CS , I have found there a good reason to use s/d using ANY traitline any combo of which provides something unique to that build.

It a very flexible and “fun” weaponset.

in Thief

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

Tried it with Dead Eye. Prefer core S/D with DA/Trick/Acro, following the improvement to Swindler’s Equilibrium.

I take Upper Hand over Don’t Stop, because extra initiative is important and more than makes up for the fact you no longer take infiltrator’s signet, and the regen when you’re out of range from support is fair. For immob escape, you have flanking strike to dodge on the spot, and switch to SB #3 if really needed, more obviously though you have infiltrator’s return, shadow step, cleanse on agility signet/shadow step, and mainly withdraw and the new and improved roll for initiative.

Roll for initiative adds much needed mobility, as well as adding one of the many lost evades. It helps escape immobilise and cleanses other movement impairing effects, and when traveling between points, using it with about face after spamming infiltrator’s arrow, and using infiltrator’s arrow once again, will get you the same speed of travel as Daredevil with dash.

1) The stolen item skills are far more suitable.
2) The shadow step on steal is an invaluable gap closer and potential escape.
3) The instant cast of steal with sleight of hand can interrupt while you are cc’d for much needed survivability if you get caught with a stun.
4) DA with mug competes with the heal and boons that come with DE, but you can trigger them more often and when you want to, as opposed to the slow stacking of malice.
5) DA brings great utility with improvisation, and without running an elite spec, you have a smaller pool of skill types to be recharged. Additionally, extra mace skull cracks helps against DH which counters you quite heavily, and 4x fear from scourage helps to cc chain them so they can’t spam barriers in a team fight.
6) DE has some useless traits; the only real appeal is the quickness and power boost when you mark a target. Everything you would select in DA is useful.

As for not liking the shadow step on steal because it gives no escape? You can...
1) Cast infiltrator’s strike without a target, so you have the return spot, and then use steal to get in.
2) Not engage with steal, but instead save it for when it will counter something or get you the down.
3) Chain steal right after infiltrator’s strike, covering more ground, and having your return port available.

Edit: Also, I find myself using Rune of Adventure, to make up for the loss of endurance return in acro, and on activating agility signet, and reduced vigor effects. I used to play S/D without acro before HoT (10/30/0/0/30), without adventure runes. Now, I find we’ve lost just one too many dodges, making that extra dodge sorely needed.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

(edited by Impact.2780)