Dont tell me you can kill the noob with SD

This weapon set need BUFF!!

GIVE BACK OUR Larcenous Strike !!

this skill is over nerf in the verson!

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Hasn’t it been dead for like past 1,5 year or so?

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: meepeY.2867

meepeY.2867

It’s not dead, but just a lot more tricky to use. A lot less forgiving and doesn’t do quite as much – but I wouldn’t say “dead”.

https://www.twitch.tv/meepeYPlays
WvW Thief Aurora Glade – Mutli Bulid Streamer – 1PM – 4PM GMT, Mon – Fri
My Daredevil Build: The Defender!

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

Daredevil definitely made S/D better tho.
I’m having some success running Acro Trick DrD with Bound, Pack Runes.

Acro + Pack runes gives me enough swiftness on Bound to make it for not having Dash.
Distracting Daggers is pretty neat to help S/D with interrupts since it doesn’t have headshot.

Larcenous Strike definitely could use a damage / utility buff tho. I wish the first attack was also unblockable. Make S/D the unblockable set.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

Really? because I’ve had more success in pvp playing S/D Staff with Dash than I ever have with D/P SA or anything else. If you play it similar to a cele ele with high mobility you can get pretty good results. And you can actually 1v1 people now, even 1v2 in some cases. I think S/D is better than ever tbh.

Although I do agree the whole flanking strikes combo should be unblockable.

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: Arlowslol.1974

Arlowslol.1974

Acro + Pack runes gives me enough swiftness on Bound to make it for not having Dash.
Distracting Daggers is pretty neat to help S/D with interrupts since it doesn’t have headshot.

Larcenous Strike definitely could use a damage / utility buff tho. I wish the first attack was also unblockable. Make S/D the unblockable set.

I do think they should bring back the old LS, the franking strike’s skillpath is stupid, even in close combat. sometimes, the enemy dont need to dodge it, just keep running and it hit the air.

every weapon set have an active burst skill except SD, SD became the lowest damage weapon of thief because your only burst skill, larcenous strike ——need to hit someone with the FS, and you need another 1/2 casttime to put out it. That is stupid, DP can use 5+2 or anyother stealth skill to land the backstab, staff has vault, PP has unload, SP has pistol wipe, etc. Only SD, you cant active a burst skill without hitting something.

even FS cost 4 ini and LS cost 2, I can accept the trade with the ACTIVE larcenous strike…

hope Karl will read it..

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: FeelsAlright.5860

FeelsAlright.5860

I do think they should bring back the old LS, the franking strike’s skillpath is stupid, even in close combat. sometimes, the enemy dont need to dodge it, just keep running and it hit the air.

every weapon set have an active burst skill except SD, SD became the lowest damage weapon of thief because your only burst skill, larcenous strike ——need to hit someone with the FS, and you need another 1/2 casttime to put out it. That is stupid, DP can use 5+2 or anyother stealth skill to land the backstab, staff has vault, PP has unload, SP has pistol wipe, etc. Only SD, you cant active a burst skill without hitting something.

even FS cost 4 ini and LS cost 2, I can accept the trade with the ACTIVE larcenous strike…

hope Karl will read it..

I think Fist Fury would provide enough burst damage with s/d. but giving up utils is way too hard

Vipassana

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Arlowslol.1974

hope Karl will read it..

I think Fist Fury would provide enough burst damage with s/d. but giving up utils is way too hard

weapon skill is different from utility..other weapon can choose defence skill, why SD must choose fist fury?

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: that baby stealing dingo.7216

that baby stealing dingo.7216

Vanilla s/d is very challenging, to say the least. I can’t comment on HoT s/d because I don’t have the expansion.

I don’t see the harm in at least boosting the damage on LS, and I remember the good ol’ days when you did not have to land the first attack to activate LS on the second attack.

I’m not trying to complain here, but an honest assessment of vanilla s/d dagger thief is that it is on life support, if not dead. Good players can probably get good mileage out of it still; those of use who are not all that good yet are used to dying a lot by now.

That said, I very rarely see other s/d dagger thieves. Everyone is d/p or staff now.

Still, it’s my favorite play style by far, and I have no intention of abandoning it.

I have a sword, a dagger, and an estimated life span of 2.47 seconds.

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

On a related note, does anyone have any vanilla s/d builds that they feel good about and are willing to share? I’m thinking PvP specifically. I’d be interested to know about other player’s PvP builds, at least if they’re having success with it.

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: deda.8302

deda.8302

i didnt try it(lots of work) but in theory
acrobatics and dardevil traits should work realy good with s/d
only spaming 3 will heal you for over 1k (i tested this with old cleric amulet some months ago it was 550ish heal per #3 skill use only with assasin reward)and clean condies,with 12sec block utility,roll for initiative and trickster you suddenly have good condi clean,not perfect but good.
quick pockest might help 2
You will still lack most defesnsive boons and this new rune with prot ,regen swift on hit might help a bit and it also has condi reduction if i remember correctly.

It finaly opens a posibility to bunk points with thiefs ,cause it eliminates stealth as main cleansing resource,only thing i dont like here is evade spam but heh cant have it all
Im prety sure it wont be perfect or as good as before or what other classes can do but it is a bit different concept…
P.S im prety sure this acro/dd/trick will be clled for nerf when some1 skilled gets his hand on it ,just watch

(edited by deda.8302)

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

When I see a thief running S/D I know they either don’t know what they are doing or will wreck my kitten. The good players that run this would likely beat me with easier to play builds so I don’t feel too bad about it. These days pretty much only hardcore well played thieves run this weapon set and since we don’t see it often counter playing it is tricky.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

the problem i find in this build and almost any other thief build is we cant contest well

sure some evades but 1 aoe will prevent us to stand in it so we must pull back
we dont have any ability to protect like block, distortion(sword), Life force, immunity

i fought agasint good d/p and s/d thieves and even if they killed me it took them some time till help comes and res me .

so again it seems like thief shouldnt go for 1v1 even if eventually they can in it

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

On a related note, does anyone have any vanilla s/d builds that they feel good about and are willing to share? I’m thinking PvP specifically. I’d be interested to know about other player’s PvP builds, at least if they’re having success with it.

The closest you will get to feeling as useful as old S/D acro without Daredevil (which IMO is not great..) is DA CS T Marauder with No Quarter and Trickster. Has OK sustain with Withdraw CD reduced to old baseline at least, and conditions removals from Tricks and signet of Agility.

Main idea is you are a glass cannon, similar to D/P CS but with more cleave and less stealth. I prefer S/D to D/P for running CS because IMO evades are a more reliable defense mechanic than the weak blinds D/P puts out (single target and small AoE). Especially with all the AoE brain dead spam you see in PvP today, blinds and stealth are worthless compared to evades. More mobility is a plus too since that seems to be the only thing thieves are allowed to have anymore.

Don’t bother running acro, the “survivability” you gain is nowhere near compensating for the damage you lose.

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

The closest you will get to feeling as useful as old S/D acro without Daredevil (which IMO is not great..) is DA CS T Marauder with No Quarter and Trickster. Has OK sustain with Withdraw CD reduced to old baseline at least, and conditions removals from Tricks and signet of Agility.

Main idea is you are a glass cannon, similar to D/P CS but with more cleave and less stealth. I prefer S/D to D/P for running CS because IMO evades are a more reliable defense mechanic than the weak blinds D/P puts out (single target and small AoE). Especially with all the AoE brain dead spam you see in PvP today, blinds and stealth are worthless compared to evades. More mobility is a plus too since that seems to be the only thing thieves are allowed to have anymore.

Don’t bother running acro, the “survivability” you gain is nowhere near compensating for the damage you lose.

Thanks, I’ll play around with that build.

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: Kicker.8203

Kicker.8203

s/d would be fine if weren’t all the other classes -except warrior- broken.
example: I’m hitting 7.2k on my soldier bunker reaper….

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Arlowslol.1974

Did thiefs all care about DP then no one care about the SD?

Karl, DO YOU READ THE THREAD?????

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: Skyline Crash.6254

Skyline Crash.6254

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Arlowslol.1974

you dont play PVP or just make a joke…..OTL

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: Skyline Crash.6254

Skyline Crash.6254

Nah I pvp, why don’t you go kitten yourself?

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Arlowslol.1974

Nah I pvp, why don’t you go kitten yourself?

It’s a nice build but I will never try it. have a good day

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

S/D has been pummeled so hard by nerf bats over the years that not even the skeleton remains. It’s just all dust and bone chips now. Used to be my main weapon set years ago but not even Daredevil revives it for me.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Lol shots fired!

On topic. I don’t see the need for both dd and acro, seems over kill. Da/ trickery/dd OR acro. But dd offers more then acro traits do.

Still able to succeed with just dd da and trickery, going to give not using short bow and try staff as 2nd weapon set

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Arlowslol.1974

Lol shots fired!

On topic. I don’t see the need for both dd and acro, seems over kill. Da/ trickery/dd OR acro. But dd offers more then acro traits do.

Still able to succeed with just dd da and trickery, going to give not using short bow and try staff as 2nd weapon set

then why dont you use staff/shortbow? I dont think SD work better than the short bow

SD Thief IS DEAD NOW

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

I do that more often. What I meant was trying a none ranged weapon in pvp. I spent most of the weekend as staff/shortbow or s/d shortbow, but not tried sd and staff. I don’t think it will be better unless it’s for dueling.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge