STEALTH TRAP - Video in Action

in Thief

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

traps that lasts for 1 hour should have a cast time longer than 4s … something not doable in combat.
I say 30 seconds cast time for 30 seconds reveal.
If you want to set a trap you have to do it before starting a fight.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

Well if everyone is going to have a stealth trap and use them. And since they’re so cheap you can stock up on them. And since it’s so easy for you to drop them. Just use supply traps as your opener. Takes 5 supply away… which means they cant drop their stealth trap.

I’m being silly of course, but if you claim everyone will be using a stealth trap, then hit them with the supply trap first. I personally don’t expect to see the stealth traps much. I might be wrong, but that’s my guess. I still think they’ll be used mainly for keep and tower sweeps and maybe next to siege.

so you have to run up to them first and place it as a squishy thief. a thief is dead in 4 secs ….not just taht they will literally step back 1 hair and drp theirs at the same time. its silly to suggest that would work.

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

Traps need to be highly visible to the enemy. Both stealth and supply.

This would cause them to not be used in open field or 1v1. They would used at keeps and large Zerg battles where the enemy is forced through a choke.

Clearly anet didn’t pick up enough from Daoc.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Travlane.5948

This would cause them to not be used in open field or 1v1. They would used at keeps and large Zerg battles where the enemy is forced through a choke.

yeah and then u could place traps to curb enemies to attack where you want. although u could just send 1 warrior up to trip them so it would defeat their poitn. 20 supply each would fix the issue….or minimu of 15.

in Thief

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

so are you going to drop all stealth skills to have run away skills instead? roll for initiative rather than shadows refuge? myabe infiltators signet instead of blind powder? sign of malic/withdraw instead of HIS? if u think being forced to play an evade build is ok. well than you are in the minority. for now now lets make the game so mesmers can only play scepter builds. would that be fun?

if u think 15 badges is high then u dont wvw much. i have thousands. ive used thousands. you make 150 per 2 hour raid easily. :P thats 1 sitting. not just that if u only use these when those pesky thieves show up AND you are alone…(obv wont use them 3 v 1 wqhen a thief shows up) then ull use MAYBe 2 per day. if u cant make 30 per day even with limited time…. wll thats a diff story

I wasn’t saying that you have to go with a full-evade, no stealth utility bar. However, if you want to go full-stealth there are trade-offs. Every weapon-set, unless both options are main-hand pistol, still have great leaps, ports, distance creators. Every class that wants mobility is forced to use certain weapon sets, so its ok if that applies to thieves as well. If you want more escape than your weapon skills (a great idea), then run 1 utility that helps you get away in a way that isn’t stealth. I would suggest shadowstep, but caltrops, signet of shadows, and roll for initiative will all work as well. The thing is, you may want to go 100% offensive with your utilities and want stealth to be your get-away-free card, but my ele would love to run all offensive arcane abilities as well. Every other class has to spec for some defensive utility, its ok if we do as well. So many thieves seem to be of the impression that the only way to play is to go full-offensive, get a quick kill, and get away free anytime they want with stealth. There is so much more depth to this class, and so many other tricks that are under-utilize because stealth is a little too-strong in wvw. I think stealth is best as the spice of your thief playing, it shouldn’t be the meat and potatoes.

in Thief

Posted by: Blackbird.4382

Blackbird.4382

yeah and then u could place traps to curb enemies to attack where you want. although u could just send 1 warrior up to trip them so it would defeat their poitn. 20 supply each would fix the issue….or minimu of 15.

Instead of “traps”, make them fields that are visible just like DAOC, but last for say 10 minutes.

Some other ideas:

1. The trap setter is unable to use any ability while setting the trap or for 10 seconds after setting the trap.

2. The trap setter’s health drops to 25% after setting the trap.

3. The trap setters are weakened from setting the trap and all their stats drop by 25% for 30 seconds after setting the trap.

All of these ideas make the traps virtually useless in 1 v. 1 or small skirmishes because it basically means certain death for the trap setter or reduces their effectiveness. Of course, this assumes that ANET doesn’t want to harm thieves in this setting. But if that’s the case, they could have simply tweaked Mesmer Veil & skipped these silly traps altogether.

Ranger/Thief/Elementalist/Warrior – Fort Aspenwood
DAOC Vet – Etheria & Schado Fox

in Thief

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

SWEET! For once I must ty Anet devs, I will have always 3-4 anti stealth traps with me, bye bye d/p thieves ^^

in Thief

Posted by: Blackhat.4016

Blackhat.4016

Definitely going to buy a stack.

Having a free win against a thief might be helpful some day…

in Thief

Posted by: Acaelus.2138

Acaelus.2138

Saw one go off as a flanking tool and pretty effective on the stealthers that were in its range -more so on mesmers than thieves as most of the latter still escape given shortbows and HS spam. Honestly, given the cost to set, I doubt there will be an abundance of stealth disruptors in the future. My advice would be for thieves to be mindful on roads near objectives and stay on the fringe outskirts of any zerg before committing to engage. As a side note the supply traps are a thief’s best friend allowing thieves to not only stop a siege from happening but to prevent one even with a zerg at the gates trying to build rams as we are able to set supply traps while in stealth; (daggerstorm>evade for stability>shadowrefuge>set trap>walk back in keep/tower.)

Definitely going to buy a stack.

Having a free win against a thief might be helpful some day…

It takes 4 sec to set a trap. Hardly an easy win vs a thief- more likely it would be an easy backstab for the thief.

GoM- Worm : Acaelus Thorrne(Guard) Dai Shaan(Warr) Althorr(Ele) Priince of Ravens (Thief)

(edited by Acaelus.2138)

in Thief

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

So, I have been fine with everything ANet has done up until now. The trap is, in my opinion, stupid broken.

They either need to up the build cost and build time of the trap or they should just get rid of Stealth and think of new ways to give us a new form of defense. And, redo all of the traits and utilities that deal with stealth.

OR, they can introduce traps that negate boons, and you cannot have any boon on you for 30 seconds.

OR, how about traps that negates each class:
– don’t let Elementalists switch attunements,
– negates Guardian F-abilities and multiplies their cooldowns by 10,
– won’t allow Warriors to use their burst abilities for 30 seconds
– won’t allow Necros to go into Deathshroud for 30 seconds
– instantly kills Ranger pets on contact
– Mesmers F-abilities go on cooldown and their cooldowns are multiplied by 10
– Engi’s F-abilities go on cooldown and cooldowns are multiplied by 10

With this trap introduced they essentially are saying they don’t want stealth playing a factor at all, so why not just remove it already.

Well, perhaps drop ranger condition damage by 90% instead, because if you just remove the pet you might actually make them better. Not that familiar with the Engi but the others should work.

(edited by Ben K.6238)

in Thief

Posted by: Sentinel VX.1392

Sentinel VX.1392

As a non-stealth thief this doesn’t change anything for me, ha!

Sea of Sorrow since BWE.

in Thief

Daendur.2357

yeah, you’ll die exacly as you did before.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

lol. loved this +1……. non stealth thieves die fast in wvw :P….can get by in spvp/tpvp tho

in Thief

Daendur.2357

lol. loved this +1……. non stealth thieves die fast in wvw :P….can get by in spvp/tpvp tho

ok, if you play spvp/tpvp you are right and you don’t need stealth.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

even in t/spvp you kinda need it in the 4 v 4 or larger fights…..too much incidental dmg …..

in Thief

Daendur.2357

point of spvp is cap objectives and you can do it only out of stealth, so an evasive build is better than a stealthy one… imo

in Thief

Travlane.5948

very true! i run s/d as main and d/p as backup for when i run into thieves

in wvw i run d/p and s/d backup or p/d and sb backup

in pve d/d and sb or d/d and s/d

i try caltrop bunker build too it works well

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

point of spvp is cap objectives and you can do it only out of stealth, so an evasive build is better than a stealthy one… imo

If you want to cap a point, make a guardian. They do it better.

If you to down people make a thief. Each class has thier role in spvp. Capping and contesting points is done better by other classes.

Downing people is done best by thieves.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Sentinel VX.1392

You can say anything you like, but my jumper thief can move faster than a stealth thief.

and since the addition of the trap, stealth thief is not going to be as effective as it was in wvw. I mostly roam in small group so I don’t worry much about fighting a zerg since I’ll just run from them unless I also happen to be in a zerg at the time.

Sea of Sorrow since BWE.

(edited by Sentinel VX.1392)

in Thief

Travlane.5948

evade thieves dont last very long in wvw :P stealth also has +50% movement which in d/p is perma speed so :P idk….and when u use speed your heartseeker goes farther too.

in Thief

Sentinel VX.1392

evade thieves dont last very long in wvw :P stealth also has +50% movement which in d/p is perma speed so :P idk….and when u use speed your heartseeker goes farther too.

I’m using shadowstep a lot not really evading, although I do evade a lot in during combat sometimes with endurance reduction trait which let you dodge 3 times. Sword skill 2, infiltrator signet and steal give you a big leap, you can also run with shortbow skill 5 afterward.

From what I understand 33%(out of combat) is the max speed possible, that 50% movement speed only affect you when you are in combat since your speed is reduced significantly otherwise it’s capped at 33%(out of combat) speed. Also it says that trait is bugged on wiki.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fleet_Shadow

EDIT: I also enjoy catching unsuspected victim with basilisk venom from far away because they thought I could not reach them :P

Sea of Sorrow since BWE.

(edited by Sentinel VX.1392)

in Thief

Posted by: Coloxeus.3480

Coloxeus.3480

those clicking skills are so epic! LOL!!

in Thief

Travlane.5948

I’m using shadowstep a lot not really evading, although I do evade a lot in during combat sometimes with endurance reduction trait which let you dodge 3 times. Sword skill 2, infiltrator signet and steal give you a big leap, you can also run with shortbow skill 5 afterward.

From what I understand 33%(out of combat) is the max speed possible, that 50% movement speed only affect you when you are in combat since your speed is reduced significantly otherwise it’s capped at 33%(out of combat) speed. Also it says that trait is bugged on wiki.

EDIT: I also enjoy catching unsuspected victim with basilisk venom from far away because they thought I could not reach them :P

s/d only has more IN COMBAT mobility. out of combat d/p is the champ. infil strike only works in one direction then you go back until aobut 14 secs later is when it resets to use again…… shadow shot, however can be use on rabbits and mobs/other players to get away or to a certain direction. so they both have the same utilities but infiltrators step only works once every 14 or 15 secs. you can spam shadow shot 5 times or so maybe more if u use other skills

the 50% speed on stealth actually does work….rarely but it does work. even the times that it doesnt….it still gives 33% minimum so you are still going faster than d/p…..they both get swift on rolls so d/p can stay perma swift if he wanted to

in Thief

Sentinel VX.1392

s/d only has more IN COMBAT mobility. out of combat d/p is the champ. infil strike only works in one direction then you go back until aobut 14 secs later is when it resets to use again…… shadow shot, however can be use on rabbits and mobs/other players to get away or to a certain direction. so they both have the same utilities but infiltrators step only works once every 14 or 15 secs. you can spam shadow shot 5 times or so maybe more if u use other skills

the 50% speed on stealth actually does work….rarely but it does work. even the times that it doesnt….it still gives 33% minimum so you are still going faster than d/p…..they both get swift on rolls so d/p can stay perma swift if he wanted to

d/p is indeed very good for scouting but for me mobility is more important, but then again each to their own.

Like I said before I like to attack unsuspected victim by “jumping” to them, but then again it’s just me.

I have my own favorite playstyle and so does everyone else, but it’s just the case that my playstyle doesn’t get affected with the trap. That’s all I can say.

Sea of Sorrow since BWE.

in Thief

Posted by: PearlGore.7419

PearlGore.7419

I had it work just the other day and boy does it feel great when you do get that 50% boost!

in Thief

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

Holy crap, I was speculative that it wouldn’t be that bad, but that’s kitten broken. I run the same build as the thief in the video and other then shadow-step IA IA away there would have been nothing I could do.

That’s just insane.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Travlane.5948

yeah 50% speed is nice when it works. i run next to others when they are 33% and somteims it feels like im running 40% other times 50%. its always 50% while in combat but out of it is on/off.

d/p is better for mobility when escaping/resetting. s/d is better for striking and confusing and in combat mobility. theres 2 diff kinds of mobility….dodging and porting….then speed and escape/reset mobility. d/p is the latter and s/d is the first. both differ both better at each’s own.

in Thief

Posted by: Tek.4083

Tek.4083

i was on mumble with the thief in the video. Hes a very good p/d thief imo, so i know he was tryin. Poor guy got owned. Feels like s/x is the only counter to this, reason being the in combat mobility is very low besides 3.

Tek Esper [VLK] [AoN]

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

People seem to fail to understand that a thief built for stealth, that then can’t stealth, is a dead thief. No survivability, no defense, no burst, no damage – that’s a thief without stealth as they have designed it.

Lets just remove stealth already, since that’s the feeling they’re giving me doing this. It looks like they want us to be warriors with 11k health, 1k toughness and only damage. No boons or other useful utilities..

Melder – Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

People seem to fail to understand that a thief built for stealth, that then can’t stealth, is a dead thief. No survivability, no defense, no burst, no damage – that’s a thief without stealth as they have designed it.

Lets just remove stealth already, since that’s the feeling they’re giving me doing this. It looks like they want us to be warriors with 11k health, 1k toughness and only damage. No boons or other useful utilities..

Thief players have rightly complained about bunker with too much bunkering…but now we’ve got stealth thieves with too much stealth, the d/p build is completely broken and need to be changed asap

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

Thief players have rightly complained about bunker with too much bunkering…but now we’ve got stealth thieves with too much stealth, the d/p build is completely broken and need to be changed asap

I agree. And the change needed to accomplish less stealth from that weapon set have already been mentioned by the devs, but they scrapped the idea. Make it impossible to stack stealth and give you 3 seconds of revealed wether you attack from stealth or not.

That would pretty much solve it.

Melder – Thief

in Thief

Travlane.5948

so ur saying 1 skill that you THINK is op(and it may or may not be) should give anet a reason to nerf a whol trait line….to nerf healing…regen…blinds….defense…offense….condi removal….intiatiave jump…initiative regen….and speed boosts? just bc people think black powder shot is a lil strong? d/p is that strong. in the history of the game its like the 5th strongest build….which is why players since day 1 havent been playing with it. until nerfs forced us to the next best build. other classes get skills nerfed…..thieves get whole builds nerfed. huge gap in equivalence here.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

I agree. And the change needed to accomplish less stealth from that weapon set have already been mentioned by the devs, but they scrapped the idea. Make it impossible to stack stealth and give you 3 seconds of revealed wether you attack from stealth or not.

That would pretty much solve it.

it would also cut defense and healing/removals etc etc intiative etc….running etc…by anywhere from 30-80%. its a huge jump. and this is soley bc everything is attached to invis. attacks…defense…blinds….regen….heals…init regen…init jumps…heals…..condi removal. you add reveal you halve the time thieves are invis….or you keep them there longer making a longer more trolling fight. best option is to boost other classesx rather than dumbing the game down even more.

in Thief

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

I still haven’t seen a stealth trap being used yet in WvW. Admittedly I don’t zerg and haven’t been around for any keep sweeps this weekend, but in my small group roaming/camp warfare I still haven’t seen it used at all.

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

in Thief

Travlane.5948

idk. im stoping full zergs by myself when they attack a keep/tower. i set up 1 where they drop rams….then i have another in hand at inside of gate and go outside under shadow refuge soon as the first is triggered and drop a 2nd. then thats almost if no 200 supply gone. so unless they have 40+ they arent getting inside. even if they do….they have 0 supply left for inner gates. :P lol owned.

in Thief

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

Sounds about as I expected — supply trap being used more than a stealth trap.

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

in Thief

Travlane.5948

for me….they are about the same. i kill 98% of most thieves that stay for a fight……i now drop stealth traps everytime and kill them 100% without even dropping below 90%….. i dont NEED stealth traps but i want to abuse them until they realize they are taking away 80% of a thieves capabilities with it more of a wakeup call. stealth traps and supply traps are equally as bad/stupid. anet really didnt thinkt his thru