Shadow Refuge contour visible.

in Thief

Posted by: Dariya.9380

Dariya.9380

When casting Shadow Refuge, an enemy will see the red contour of the field. How does this make sense? It is a stealth skill, but yet the enemy knows exactly where you are because you can’t leave the field without being revealed. Baffles me really.

in Thief

Posted by: Paranoid.9542

Paranoid.9542

Because it’s a combo field, and all combo fields have a white(friendly) or red(enemy) circle around them.

in Thief

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

ok, so remove the combo field part of the skill.
it is really useless like that.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

in Thief

Posted by: Geogaddie.8193

Geogaddie.8193

The combo field for it is epic in team fight pair it with a combo finisher blast for aoe blindness.

in Thief

Posted by: Waterseer.7089

Waterseer.7089

Realize that, if you stay in the combo field long enough, you can move outside of it and still be in stealth.

in Thief

Posted by: Wolfe.3097

Wolfe.3097

ok, so remove the combo field part of the skill.
it is really useless like that.

im sorry “hypreventilates” i am. but you suggested probably the worse thing i could ever imagine.

it is our only dark field generator. you know wha tyou can do with that?

put it down, take out shortbow, shot thru it, now your arrows are healing you! put in cluster bomb, area blindness, you just blinded every enemy player in that radius.

HS thru it and blind a target, or cast dagger storm and all those daggers start healing you.

the skill isnt meant for you to really sit in it and be like “hur hur you cant find meh” you can use it to gain some quick stealth and a little heal, stealth and heal teamates, prevent stomping, aide in rezzing. you really shouldnt be standing in it doing nothing for its full duration.

moderator edit: This post has been edited to remove a violation of the forum code of conduct.

(edited by Moderator)

in Thief

Posted by: Singularity.1486

Singularity.1486

For those popping this skill as “Last Resort” I will just pull out my SB and CB nuke inside =D
The circle just defeat the purpose of the skill really…

in Thief

Daendur.2357

that skill is a life saver. 10s of stealth are far better than any blind or little heal that a projectile will give you. You have to stay in the ring for some seconds and then you have more or less 5 secs of free movement stealth; so no, i prefer to stay in it and be like “hur hur you cant find meh” ’till I can go away.
When you use SR the little house is visible for a couple of seconds and enemies can figure where you are, with the red ring they actually know where you are anche can AoE you to death.

in Thief

Wolfe.3097

your using the skill wrong

its a refuge, not a bunker

it buys you time, the fact that there is a counter to it just means its balanced

in Thief

Posted by: Aeden.5896

Aeden.5896

Exactly, it’s pretty clear that Arenanet carefully balanced Shadow Refuge to be exactly what it is.

If you want a vanish, blinding powder is the utility skill designed for that purpose.

in Thief

Posted by: Paranoid.9542

Paranoid.9542

This would make nearly 0 difference anyway as it would only work on new players. Anyone that is around it for any amount of time will know almost exactly how large the effective area is anyways.

It also helps if you want to stay inside it but stay riiiight on the edge so that it’s harder for people to hit you. the line gives a nice guide.

SR is fine the way it is.

in Thief

Posted by: obtuse.8291

obtuse.8291

actually it’s a really good skill and only put to full use when you have shadow rejuvenation and or the shadow replenishment to refill your initiative with just a few seconds of the stealth from it

I am the super thief

in Thief

Posted by: elithrar.7143

elithrar.7143

Exactly, it’s pretty clear that Arenanet carefully balanced Shadow Refuge to be exactly what it is.
If you want a vanish, blinding powder is the utility skill designed for that purpose.

Spot on. Shadow Refuge gives you a limited range in exchange for the heal, dark field and ranged placement.

Blinding Power gives you PBAoE stealth & blind that gives you an escape route.

Different applications.

[TKG] Mollify

in Thief

Posted by: iSinner.4285

iSinner.4285

When casting Shadow Refuge, an enemy will see the red contour of the field. How does this make sense? It is a stealth skill, but yet the enemy knows exactly where you are because you can’t leave the field without being revealed. Baffles me really.

I posted a thread long ago about this hilarious skill, but nobody cares. About “you can wander off the area after a few seconds”, oh really? it is broken, you never know if it will work or not. It wont work for 90% of the time, that’s for sure. It wont work either as long as the area is still active.

A-NET: Hey, we invented a new skill, it is called shadow REFUGE. So it works like this, you pop up a REFUGE, and get a ton of AOE in there, so it really helps you to avoid damage, don’t mind these 100 boms on top of your head, its a REFUGE, right?
Community: (>_>)\
Yeah, a refuge, that is really a target for aoe. Does not defeat the purpose of the skill, not at all. It is like saying “Hey, I’m here, bomb me please, i beg you, bomb me”

TL;DR The enemy should not know about a REFUGE, so it should not render for enemies.

(edited by iSinner.4285)

in Thief

Posted by: Pimpslapper.2047

Pimpslapper.2047

Shadow refuge is fantastic. It bugs me that you can see the circle, but most people in spvp will not be smart enough to AOE it.

The trick is to use your terrain, set it where you can hide behind a rock, a wall, or a dock, etc…to protect yourself from AOE as much as possible. I don’t mind that people can see it, it makes it not OP and keeps other classes from complaining about a long stealth that no one can see. Learn to use it correctly, for it is extremely effective and powerful.

in Thief

Posted by: Shadow Phage.9084

Shadow Phage.9084

Don’t forget a ranger’s Healing Spring creates a water spring regardless of how far below the surface the local water table is. This is clearly an oversight that must be corrected.

Or how ’bout them necros with Well of Blood? Where does the blood come from? Obviously not the local terrain as there is an idiom about the difficulty of getting blood from a stone. Needs fixing.

Or Mist Form. I think certain local weather conditions should adversely affect people using this skill. They are turning into MIST after all. Conversely, certain weather conditions should make it even better! Needs fixing to match name.

Sarcasm aside, SR is fine as is. If you’re using it as an ‘oh kitten’ skill in plain sight, chances are you were going to die anyways. Besides, the little ghost house that pops up is a dead giveaway anyways with or without the combo field ring.

in Thief

Daendur.2357

the fact is that being stealthed and letting enemies know exactly where you are has no sense.

in Thief

Posted by: Speedholic.8503

Speedholic.8503

I see nothing wrong with this. You are creating a shadowy area to hide in. Im pretty sure that if you looked outside, you can see shadows.

in Thief

Posted by: Shadow Phage.9084

Shadow Phage.9084

I will agree, to a certain extent, that it makes no sense.
But what are the options? Remove the combo field effect and essentially turn it into a pseudo-clone of Mass Invisibility? That would give necro’s a lock on Dark Fields (only current field effect that’s restricted to a single class is Lightning Field.)

Or…
Perhaps you are using SR in a way that reduces its efficiency?
To put it simply, its not a great “oh kitten” skill. Not in PvP anyways against competent opponents; PvE is a completely different story.

It IS an amazing team fight skill. SR provides a potential team-wide target drop via stealth, heal (+ regen if spec’d), dark field (provides ranged life steal), blast finisher AoE blind, etc. Different skills have situations they shine in, and those they do not. SR is no different.

in Thief

Wolfe.3097

people wanting to ruin a skill for hte sake of realism /sigh

in Thief

Posted by: SPARTdAN.2091

SPARTdAN.2091

The skill dynamics are fine, changing them to what was suggested in OP is a bad move. I think it would make more sense or look better though to be a smoke screen you pop down rather than some necro looking style skill.

in Thief

Posted by: Dariya.9380

Dariya.9380

Agree with most of you, especially since it is a combo field, hence the initial visible contour. However, my only quarrel is that since it is primarily a stealth skill, the visibility of the field makes the skill counter-intuitive. Stealth, for many thief specs, is one of the primary defensive abilities – and when that is easily being countered then I strongly believe that it is broken. Maybe an exception should be made in this case where foes cannot see the field whatsoever, even if it is a combo field (which will be visible to friendlies), it’s not like it is a damaging field where you absolutely have to avoid standing in.