Shadow Refuge in duels

Shadow Refuge in duels

in Thief

Posted by: torridstoic.7492

torridstoic.7492

I’ve heard both sides, and I’m curious what public opinion is on this. Is shadow refuge a bad manner skill to use in duels, or is it considered legit?

At The Vanguard.
Golemhaven [Van] – mesmer | guardian

Shadow Refuge in duels

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

In a duel you’re supposed to survive and kill your opponent, if SR can help you achieve that then it’s ok.

I find it a little cheap, but we are thieves after all – we are not supposed to play fair

Melder – Thief

Shadow Refuge in duels

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

It has cast time, can be countered by knocking the thief out of it, also it limits
the thief to the zone where it is placed and allows players to easily
spam AoE’s in the zone.

I’d personally pick some other utility for most duels. And Shadow Refuge solely
for escaping, staying alive in bigger fights and saving downed allies.
However Shadow Refuge is somewhat nice with P/D for taking advantage
of the combo field for life steal and 2 stealths.

Most bad manner skill in a duel is Thieves Guild imo, it can ofc
be countered as well with projectile reflection and dpsing the
thieves down, but not really easy with them spamming blinds
and scorpion wire with a player dpsing your back.
And because of that will grant you a big advantage as a thief against some players.
But well, other ppl use their OP elite skills too in duels so why not.

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

(edited by Ghostwolf.9863)

Shadow Refuge in duels

in Thief

Posted by: Klabbo.6927

Klabbo.6927

If SR is being used to simply delay the fight for the full stealth duration and regen some health with Shadow Rejuvenation then I disapprove if its use in duels.
However if the thief uses it for a rapid stealth attack, pulsing AOE blinds via Cloaked in Shadows or as a combo field then I believe it is a legitimate utility skill for duels.

Nightjay
[roam] Leader and Thief.
Isle of Janterrible.

Shadow Refuge in duels

in Thief

Posted by: Login.5102

Login.5102

Lich from bad manners?

Shadow Refuge in duels

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

for the thieves guild counter you can do a dagger storm = dead thieves + the player thief because the daggers like to bounce
we are meant to fight “dirty”, however duels should have a time limit :P
it’s not more unfair using SR than using the perma dodge build…
just agree before the duel w/o SR or the “untouchable” builds, just to make things fast…

(edited by DanH.5879)

Shadow Refuge in duels

in Thief

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

If you are doing a duell in an open space with the thief, you already are in an dissadvantage, so there is no need to think about stuff like this.

(edited by Cyhann.2609)

Shadow Refuge in duels

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

for the thieves guild counter you can do a dagger storm = dead thieves + the player thief because the daggers like to bounce
we are meant to fight “dirty”, however duels should have a time limit :P
it’s not more unfair using SR than using the perma dodge build…
just agree before the duel w/o SR or the “untouchable” builds, just to make things fast…

so take away the only 2 kinds of defense a thief has? why duel? lol . i get what ur saying but its like saying in layman’s terms……go zerk backstab or dont play. :P

Shadow Refuge in duels

in Thief

Posted by: Craig.2403

Craig.2403

The only time I use SR in a duel is if I’m fighting another thief. Since I play S/D most of the time I don’t really need the stealth, and I only ever use it in a fight vs a thief as a quick evasion of a backstab. Other than that, the only other reason I’d use it is while playing a P/D condi build for the insta-stealth + life steal.

Regarding thieves guild: I’d only use it in a duel if I’m fighting a necro using Lich Form. Otherwise, with runes of Lyssa, basi venom can give a lot more utility and a more skill-based fight, and dagger storm is useful going up against rangers to reflect their projectiles right back at them and give you the edge.

Bummkin – ranger | Netherdark – thief | Crescor – mesmer | Gears Up – engi
[TFI]

Shadow Refuge in duels

in Thief

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Why would shadow refuge be disallowed when other classes can kite to regen health just as effectively? While a thief has a fair number of tools to close the gap, what would a Warrior vs. Elementalist duel allow? No frost line, or cantrips? What about a Warrior vs Guardian duel? No boons?

It’s a tool to be used as you see fit and if you’re dueling you should plan accordingly to counter it. Knockbacks, AE’s, passive regen of your own, etc.

Shadow Refuge in duels

in Thief

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

While Moa is “I win”, shadow refuge is “Time-out, Time out!”.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Shadow Refuge in duels

in Thief

Posted by: Whissar.2073

Whissar.2073

Shadow refuge isnt allowed??. And mist form, endure pain, plague form… please…its a survival util and as legit as any other class´s util.

Shadow Refuge in duels

in Thief

Posted by: Fenrir.6183

Fenrir.6183

Who cares ?
I don’t get it. If you die the other player was better. Plain and simple. Who cares what he used ? He outplayed you. One should use all means necessary to beat his opponent. This is war.

Shadow Refuge in duels

in Thief

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

I think every skill (even racial ones) and food is allowed … stacks are a bit lame.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

Shadow Refuge in duels

in Thief

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Who cares ?
I don’t get it. If you die the other player was better. Plain and simple. Who cares what he used ? He outplayed you. One should use all means necessary to beat his opponent. This is war.

Any and all means? Really, you don’t complain when I take that tower via “res through the door” – trick, fly hack or whatever? It’s not war, it’s a game and games have rules. The rules of a duel are up to the two players fighting.
I don’t always complain about shadow refuge because it seems most of the thieves can’t duel at all without it, but if I get moaed, well then I might a little.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)