Shadow Trap

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: aladore.3945

aladore.3945

I’m not sure I understand how this skill it supposed to work in PvE.

You set the trap and draw aggro but what’s the point of having 10,000 range? I mean, or even shadow stepping when the trap is triggered or however it’s supposed to work is pointless because your target is right in front of you…

Am I missing something?

Anyone have a video of how this skills is supposed to be used?

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

10,000 range considers pvp and wvw or if you’re waiting for something to spawn/trigger and know where it will while in the general area.

The great forum duppy.

(edited by ensoriki.5789)

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

It’s a PvP/WvW based skill and not very useful for PvE. At most it can be planted where an event boss spawns if you’re going to be in the area.

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Why would u want to use it on pve ?

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

It is really good in PvP like really good. I messed around with a bit in WvW too me and 2 other thieves at the far north supply camp hiding behind one of the stables with the trap in front of the spawn. It was really funny your like your own ambush thief lol.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Maybe it would combine nicely with sword #2 – if you use it without target it still sets the return location.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

I can’t find any good reason to use this trap in PvE since it’s meant as an ambush tool. But in sPvP and WvW it’s just awesome. Let me explain.

In sPvP you could place the trap in a location you’re sure the enemy will walk through to get to a point you just capped. In the meantime you could go cap another point or just kill some other player. When you see the trap got activated you just shadowstep there, get positioned for a backstab and gain five seconds of stealth. Awesome.

In WvW me and a friend used it the other day to protect the supply camp south of the ruins. I placed the trap on the bridge and we capped the camp. Then we were just roaming the area near it and killing people coming in from other angles. As soon as my trap triggered and my friend had everything under control I activated it and jumped the guy who were just approaching. Again, awesome.

This trap has a 10,000 range, it gives you five seconds of stealth and positions you for a backstab. If it was a Zerg that arrived or a large enough group for you to not engage you can just run away. I use it as an offensive tool as much as a defensive tool. But be aware: the shadowstep can really big out and it won’t work. I really hope they fix this soon since I really love this trap and would like to make it a permanent skill on one of my utility slots.

Melder – Thief

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: BlueprintLFE.2358

BlueprintLFE.2358

I have used it a couple times, but unless you are actively staring at your utility bar, it’s really easy to miss the shadow trap Icon rotate over, I messed with it in SPVP for possible TPVP reasons and I was always missing the change over while fighting.

USMC 1st Battalion 10th Marines
Guardian-Blueprinted, Warrior- Grizzilli
[JCM] Guild: Ehmry Bay WvW

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Geiir.7603

I have used it a couple times, but unless you are actively staring at your utility bar, it’s really easy to miss the shadow trap Icon rotate over, I messed with it in SPVP for possible TPVP reasons and I was always missing the change over while fighting.

I had some trouble with that while I started using it, but that’s something you get used to. I usually look at my skill bar and boons / conditions a lot to keep track of when to cleanse conditions, stealth debuff and how kind my shadow return got left. And after a few hours of play you just notice that something changed on the skill bar :p

Melder – Thief

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Elmuerto.9840

Elmuerto.9840

I supposed it could be used as a stealth skill now you mention it, as it provides the longest stealth outside of SR.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Geiir.7603

I supposed it could be used as a stealth skill now you mention it, as it provides the longest stealth outside of SR.

I often use it as a stealth too. If I’m fighting someone and finding myself free of initiative and my enemy on low hp and that my traps isn’t placed somewhere else, then I’ll drop it. It got a pretty short cast time and it places you for an immideate backstab. The enemy will see you start running and run straight in the trap and poof I’m gone and he is downed

One more thing is people isn’t used to traps. Most thieves doesn’t use them, and this give a pretty good chance of having the element of surprise. Start running after a thief and suddenly you’re knocked down on the ground and the thief is nowhere to be seen until you died from his final backstab.

Melder – Thief