Shadow Trap

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: KaiserCX.7103

KaiserCX.7103

Anyone having any luck with this utility? Seems highly unreliable to me, messed around with it for 30 minutes in WvW and the pathing is so pathetic that if you aren’t on flat ground then it isn’t going to work at all. Hell it didn’t even break stun for me when I actually shadow stepped…

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Kallist.5917

Kallist.5917

It seems like it could be perfect for back-stab thieves if used with the immobilize trap. Try baiting people. set it and stand idle in WvW, wait for someone to see you, run across it thinking your an easy kill, then stomp them.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: GeoPro.7530

GeoPro.7530

It worked almost too well for me when I tried it in pvp. In forest of niflhel I was able to teleport from mid point straight to the mine, even though there’s a bunch of high rocks and whatnot in between the two places.

I think it only failed once but I can’t be sure whether it was the trap or the hard to catch trait.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Coast.5162

Coast.5162

Works like portal until 10000 units.
Any range higher as 10000units makes the limits of shadowsteps apply.
I myself will mainly use it in certain fractals (dredge and swamp).

Shadow Trap

in Thief

KaiserCX.7103

It certainly doesn’t work like portal, hell in WvW I tried placing it at the base of the steps of my own wall, climbed up and it wouldn’t port me back down. Tried it on an open field with some hills, ran about 5k units and it wouldn’t port me back. A simple test to prove it doesn’t work like a true teleport, go to LA find some blocks or something that you have to jump on to reach such as the ones near the bank in LA and drop off and try to return, it doesn’t port you back up.

(edited by KaiserCX.7103)

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

Also, it doesn’t have the limits of shadowstep apply. If you use it in a range further than 10k units, it’s just go into full cooldown.

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

I’ve been using this trap on and off for months now. What they did to it is just great for me ;D

But yes, shadow stepping is so bugged in this game that it’s laughable. The trap works great some places in WvW and is now beautiful as an escape utility. In sPvP with a roaming build it’s just pure love. A good thief can easily hold two points using this trap. I just hope they fix shadow step so that we can rely on it to actually work when we drop it…

Melder – Thief

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Virus.5706

Virus.5706

I’ve been using this trap on and off for months now. What they did to it is just great for me ;D

But yes, shadow stepping is so bugged in this game that it’s laughable. The trap works great some places in WvW and is now beautiful as an escape utility. In sPvP with a roaming build it’s just pure love. A good thief can easily hold two points using this trap. I just hope they fix shadow step so that we can rely on it to actually work when we drop it…

The bugged ahdowstepping is really annoying and unreliable, they should remove the entire LoS thing for SS;ing imo.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Logi.5612

Logi.5612

A friend of mine has been using Shadow Trap since release, he almost always has said that shadow trap was allrdy pretty OP pre-patch but it has become a total noob-mode skill now.

Heres a video of him using it pre-patch.

Currently in EU – [Au]

http://tinyurl.com/NewNecroVideoAu

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Virus.5706

A friend of mine has been using Shadow Trap since release, he almost always has said that shadow trap was allrdy pretty OP pre-patch but it has become a total noob-mode skill now.

Heres a video of him using it pre-patch.

If the results of the skill actually was persistent it would have been this strong at launch.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Geiir.7603

And that’s how to use it properly. If it works as in the tooltip now, then holy kitten I’m happy!!

Melder – Thief

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Yam.2891

Yam.2891

teivospy has like 20 videos that are hidden, most of them show shadowtrapping up cliffs or baiting or juking people a kitten ton. She plays full glass cannon since she enjoys actually having a challenge over sustain specs. This video in particular is nothing special imo compared to her other stuff

Shadow trap is a very consistent skill, if you have problems with it pre or post patch then you are using it improperly

she considers herself to be a shortbow thief over DP btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S66yfdHaUBU

The Lad Guy – aka Mustache Pete
[Trillmatic][SPCA][xmas]

(edited by Yam.2891)

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

I tried it this morning – set a trap at Black Lion Trading Post in Lions Arch – then I ran past the Mystic Forge to the Bank NPC and pressed the teleport (this is less than 10000 range but still a decent distance) and it teleported me 5 metres to the bank door. Fail.

It probably needs more QA testing and needs to be very generous with pathing.

I am guessing that it has to use pathing rather than be a true waypoint-like telelport, like Portal does otherwise a thief could just set a shadow trap inside a keep before it gets taken and teleport back inside the enemy keep when they have finished capping it (and revive a dead mesmer).

Perhaps raise this as a bug in the appropriate bug sub-forum or change the title on this post to BUG: <original title> so the developers read the post.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Virus.5706

I tried it this morning – set a trap at Black Lion Trading Post in Lions Arch – then I ran past the Mystic Forge to the Bank NPC and pressed the teleport (this is less than 10000 range but still a decent distance) and it teleported me 5 metres to the bank door. Fail.

It probably needs more QA testing and needs to be very generous with pathing.

I am guessing that it has to use pathing rather than be a true waypoint-like telelport, like Portal does otherwise a thief could just set a shadow trap inside a keep before it gets taken and teleport back inside the enemy keep when they have finished capping it (and revive a dead mesmer).

Perhaps raise this as a bug in the appropriate bug sub-forum or change the title on this post to BUG: <original title> so the developers read the post.

But it’s not supposed to be a 10k range leap.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

dzeRnumbrd.6129

I don’t understand your point – it is a 10k range teleport. It should work right? Don’t care how they implement it, so long as it works.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

KaiserCX.7103

I played around with it in sPvP and love it, some maps it’s inconsistent but overall it’s pretty solid. Mainly open world stuff it seems pretty bad unless you’re fighting on flat ground. Although one suggestion, perhaps make the icon give a noticeable visual queue when someone steps over it. It’s pretty easy to miss it if you’re in a fight but perhaps I’ll just get more used to the icons over time.

(edited by KaiserCX.7103)

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Virus.5706

I don’t understand your point – it is a 10k range teleport. It should work right? Don’t care how they implement it, so long as it works.

Thing is, it’s broken. If there is a small obstacle in the way you will only teleport a few units vs. the full 10k units. The whole shadow-stepping mechanic is very unreliable.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

if only. it is like a really fast spring actually not a teleport. gets caught on everyting rarely goes the distance you mean for it and elevations is a no go.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Virus.5706

if only. it is like a really fast spring actually not a teleport. gets caught on everyting rarely goes the distance you mean for it and elevations is a no go.

Shadow stepping, broken since forever.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Travlane.5948

yeah its horrible. even ss cant go up one step on a set of stairs….LAME!

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

this trap can be triggered by pets/clones making it completely useless in sPvP
not that it was any better before though

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Travlane.5948

it should only be able to be tripped by real players or if it is done by pets it should go to their owners by default.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

KaiserCX.7103

this trap can be triggered by pets/clones making it completely useless in sPvP
not that it was any better before though

I haven’t had this happen yet. Does it simply not work if a pet/clone triggers or does it work until the pet/clone dies?

I do wish they’d simply make it a portal and have it disappear if you go further than 10k units from the trap and go on cool-down.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

you get teleported to the pet/clone that triggered the trap if this pet/clone dies or get shattered your trap enters a 45sec cd.

Not to mention that the ONLY way to know if the trap was or not triggered is by not taking your eyes of the icon! there is not a single kind of warning (sound / flash / popup) to let you know that it was triggered.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

This trap is bugged, unless they fixed it, it is useless if you are in sPvP. There are too many collision detectors, and the trap just fails.

I haven’t tried it today but when it was released yesterday it was borderline useless (surprise, surprise).

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

Shadow Trap

in Thief

KaiserCX.7103

you get teleported to the pet/clone that triggered the trap if this pet/clone dies or get shattered your trap enters a 45sec cd.

Not to mention that the ONLY way to know if the trap was or not triggered is by not taking your eyes of the icon! there is not a single kind of warning (sound / flash / popup) to let you know that it was triggered.

Ah that sucks. I do wish they gave a better visual queue other than just flipping the icon, perhaps when someone trips the trap it should light up while flipping over to the Shadow Pursuit icon.

I wouldn’t say the skill is useless in sPvP though, I did have a pretty good experience using it in on about 70% of the maps, that being said you shouldn’t ever be in a state of wondering if your skill is actually going to work properly or fail. In WvW I do find it pretty much useless, you’re better with just sticking with Shadow Step for that.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Enjoyluck.2618

Enjoyluck.2618

its nice for full trapper build. If you trait you port on some one with thiefs guild/ He has 15 stacks of invulnability you get 10 might fury and he is knockdown snared and poisoned. You back stab him and profit??? However if you are unlucky you port in zerg :P

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Geiir.7603

its nice for full trapper build. If you trait you port on some one with thiefs guild/ He has 15 stacks of invulnability you get 10 might fury and he is knockdown snared and poisoned. You back stab him and profit??? However if you are unlucky you port in zerg :P

Which is also the reason you get stealth from that trap too. When you arrive you have 5 seconds to either run away or engage.

Melder – Thief

Shadow Trap

in Thief

dzeRnumbrd.6129

Thing is, it’s broken. If there is a small obstacle in the way you will only teleport a few units vs. the full 10k units. The whole shadow-stepping mechanic is very unreliable.

So are you disagreeing with me or agreeing with me? It sounded like you disagreed with something I said previously but everything you’ve said so far is just agreeing with what I have said.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Kerishan.8460

Kerishan.8460

They should fix shadow trap like a mesmer’s portal, and all be fine.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Seth.4927

Seth.4927

While the pathing could get some work, it really is an uphill battle. My biggest issue with it at this time is that pets/clones/minions can trigger the trap and make it it enter it’s kitten CD really fast (Ex: Shatter Mesmer or Rangers that actually switch pets will just not let you use this trap unless you place it away from the node.). When the trap is activated by a pet/clone it should tag the owner or they shouldn’t affect the trap at all.

Roker
Tarnished Coast