Shadow Trap

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

…Is the single most overpowered utility in the game, and I’m absolutely mind boggled that i don’t see EVERY thief using this in SPvP.

>10,000 range teleport, you don’t even need anyone to step on it.

>If someone does step on it you have 10 seconds to teleport to them. (getting gangbanged 1/2 way across the map? No biggie just pop this baby and ur safe, did I mention it was a stun breaker?).

>When you do this you gain 5 seconds of invis (allowing you to pre cast stuff like basilisk venom) That means for 5 whole seconds after you TP to the guy who triggered it he will have no clue that you are there.

>You also gain 10 stacks of might and fury, when used in conjunction with assassin sig and +5 might on sig trait you gain an insane dps boost for the coming BS, HS,HS (DEAD). Just pop the trap on your home objective in SPvP and wait for some idiot to step on it and 3 shot him all day long.

So tell my why this isn’t always on your bar in SPvP?

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

Personally I thought it had to be stepped on to be activated so I never bothered checking it out. I am going to try this instead of smoke screen. I run smoke screen to have the edge in ranged fights and for the added blind on downed foes if I have no initiative.

Most players use the power signet and I guess they don’t want to lose the damage boost. Even though strap is a stun break you basically have to abandon your current fight if you use it so I see refuge and shadow step as staples to all non sd thieves.

[SoF]

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: bryandres.6390

bryandres.6390

Still too buggy, on certain maps the tracking puts u on annoying places.

Itächî Spvp R5x.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

It is on mine But yeah, bryandres adresses the problem perfectly. Bugged in a lot of places. But after playing with that utility for a few weeks it’s possible to guess which locations are well suited for usage. I still make some mistakes now and then but it’s very fun to use it

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

It’s very bugged, but works if you’ve found all the safe spots where it won’t stop in thin air. Remember that’s it’s not a teleport, but a shadowstep, so you’ll need to make sure it can find a path.

Shadow Trap is an amazing utility and should be on every far point assaulters thief. You have the ability to help your team in mid and leave for the far point immideately after the fight is done to cap it again or kill those who are there. I use it a lot, also on WvW. The cool down is good enough for it to be used offensively in fights too. No need for BP + HS combo now. You’ll just pop this and you’re returning way stronger. Can also be used as an oh kitten card. Put it in a safe spot before you engage and pop it if you lose..

Melder – Thief

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

…Is the single most overpowered utility in the game, and I’m absolutely mind boggled that i don’t see EVERY thief using this in SPvP.

>10,000 range teleport, you don’t even need anyone to step on it.

>If someone does step on it you have 10 seconds to teleport to them. (getting gangbanged 1/2 way across the map? No biggie just pop this baby and ur safe, did I mention it was a stun breaker?).

>When you do this you gain 5 seconds of invis (allowing you to pre cast stuff like basilisk venom) That means for 5 whole seconds after you TP to the guy who triggered it he will have no clue that you are there.

>You also gain 10 stacks of might and fury, when used in conjunction with assassin sig and +5 might on sig trait you gain an insane dps boost for the coming BS, HS,HS (DEAD). Just pop the trap on your home objective in SPvP and wait for some idiot to step on it and 3 shot him all day long.

here we go (again), another whining thread …. yeey….

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Professor Sensei.2941

Professor Sensei.2941

I just don’t like using it and finding out a rock or larger blade of grass happened to be between me and my trap.

Professor Sensei – Thief
Everything Purple

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

It’s buggy.
It doesn’t cleanse conditions.
I can’t break stun twice with it.
I can’t use it as a shadowstep to be faster.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

It’s buggy.

This depends completely on your build. If you’re 30 deep in Shadow Arts then this will break stun, teleport you to the player, give you stealth, fury and 10 stacks of might for 5 seconds. For a D/P thief this can be a life saver, a chance to burst or a chance to break stun, run away and reset. The fact that you instantly disappear is reason enough to use it.

It’s a bit buggy, but if you learn where it’s not bugging (took me 30 minutes with a guildie in sPvP) then it’s an amazing tool! Far point assaulting is redicolously easy with this trap. You can help your team in a team fight and leave immideately when you have the chance to cap that point again or kill the player capping it.

In WvW you can use the trap in choke points to get an heads up of an incoming attack or as gtfo card.

But it do need some help from Anet, but that applies to shadow stepping in general.

Melder – Thief

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Cyhann.2609

It’s buggy.

This depends completely on your build. If you’re 30 deep in Shadow Arts then this will break stun, teleport you to the player, give you stealth, fury and 10 stacks of might for 5 seconds. For a D/P thief this can be a life saver, a chance to burst or a chance to break stun, run away and reset. The fact that you instantly disappear is reason enough to use it.

It’s a bit buggy, but if you learn where it’s not bugging (took me 30 minutes with a guildie in sPvP) then it’s an amazing tool! Far point assaulting is redicolously easy with this trap. You can help your team in a team fight and leave immideately when you have the chance to cap that point again or kill the player capping it.

Yeah I know, also I never said it’s useless or bad, it’s just that I like/feel the need for
other skills with the builds I use at the moment. Also you get 12 stacks, not 10, and
it’s really unlikely that you will use the stunbreak when you are able to use the
activated trap. Also I have the feeling that the trap will be nerfed AGAIN, and I
don’t really want to get used to it sometime just to lose it.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Zepidel.5349

1. It’s buggy.
2. It doesn’t cleanse conditions.
3. I can’t break stun twice with it.
4. I can’t use it as a shadowstep to be faster.

1. Not really, I only had it mishap once. It’s also been stated in the thread you can learn how to use it w/o it messing up.

2. Lets just stop using any ability that doesn’t cleanse conditions? Thieves don’t have a problem with conditions anyways, our heal purges the big 3. Ontop of the fact condition builds are absolute garbage due to the sheer number of condition removals,transfers, conversions.

3. How on earth are you going to get stunned a 2nd time after you are ported invisible half way across the map?

4. TEN THOUSAND RANGE, do you even realize how wrong you are?

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Evilek.5690

Evilek.5690

1. It’s buggy.

1. Not really, I only had it mishap once. It’s also been stated in the thread you can learn how to use it w/o it messing up.

2. Lets just stop using any ability that doesn’t cleanse conditions? Thieves don’t have a problem with conditions anyways, our heal purges the big 3. Ontop of the fact condition builds are absolute garbage due to the sheer number of condition removals,transfers, conversions.

3. How on earth are you going to get stunned a 2nd time after you are ported invisible half way across the map?

Go and play Thief with this spell one hour, come back and say again "omg this spell is OP ! " because this spell failed 8/10 attempts.

Evilek lvl 80 Charr Thief Why no ?
Fredy Brimstone lvl 80 Mighty Warrior
Oupí lvl 80 Immortal Guardian

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Zepidel.5349

1. It’s buggy.

Go and play Thief with this spell one hour, come back and say again "omg this spell is OP ! " because this spell failed 8/10 attempts.

Ive been using it for a week, and Its only failed once. Wile your here how about you tell me the wonders of PvT or magic find gear in PvE or you baddass tank/condition spec!

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Cyhann.2609

1. It’s buggy.

1. Since I can teleport normally to some places, where the trap can’t port me, I call it buggy since that’s what I understand as Shadowstep, those “rules” are simply a result
of that bug.

2. Are we playing the same game,condi … garbage? Also there are three heals, I might
have my reasons why I don’t use a certain one. Healing amount/cd/evade and most importantly cast time Also it’s just one reason I like Shadowstep more, since it has a
wider variation of practical applications, also it has the best utility cleanse.

3. Well you don’t allways want to leave your current point, right?

4. Yes to one preset location, there are various situations where it’s more usefull to go to a point you haven’t set your trap on prevously.

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Zepidel.5349

1. It’s buggy.

1. Since I can teleport normally to some places, where the trap can’t port me, I call it buggy since that’s what I understand as Shadowstep, those “rules” are simply a result
of that bug.

2. Are we playing the same game,condi … garbage? Also there are three heals, I might
have my reasons why I don’t use a certain one. Healing amount/cd/evade and most importantly cast time Also it’s just one reason I like Shadowstep more, since it has a
wider variation of practical applications, also it has the best utility cleanse.

3. Well you don’t allways want to leave your current point, right?

4. Yes to one preset location, there are various situations where it’s more usefull to go to a point you haven’t set your trap on prevously.

1. Shadow trap isn’t shadow step

2. Condition are garbage, A guardian/Warrior/Ele will turn your condition into boons for themselves, NECROS (nuff said), Every mes worth a kitten will run NULL FIELD meaning again GG conditions in any team fight that mes is in, I could go on forever, but those are the big 3 things that come to mind.

3. Why would you be fighting on your trap? The whole point is to fight on 1 objective and have the option to escape from a losing fight / or instantly port to the other objective to deny the guy there the capture.

4. That “preset” location is 1 of the 3 most important locations on the entire map.

anyways I’ll give this 1,2,3,4 arguments about another 3 goes before I quit, you better b ready m80!

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

1. Shadowtrakitten hadowstep, description: "You may activate shadow pursuit to shadowstep to the marked enemy

Just pointing out.

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

Shadow Trap

in Thief

Posted by: Zeta.3198

Zeta.3198

I found this useful in many situations in the past months, it’s great in WvW to attempt some ambushes: if someone is following you, just place it to somewhere they will need to go through (a bridge, a small passage, a door), and as soon as they trigger it shadowstep to them, they won’t expect this and they will drop dead as soon as they understand what’s going on, in 1VS1 it is really useful for some extra power and stealth, VS zergs place it somewhere outside the big fight and when you see your health is going too low jus shadowstep to the other side of the map and continue for your road.
The only bad thing about this is probably the cd and the small time to activate it when someone step on it (many times I won’t notice) but it is really useful in many situations, both for offense and defense, you just need to analize the situation before you jump in.