Shadow Trap Makes No Sense.

in Thief

Posted by: Takato.4976

Takato.4976

So I decided to try the trap again, haven’t touched it since the update that allows you to chose when to teleport.

So here I go, spirit watch map, pop my trap at the wolf point and I head to the bear point in order to cap that one. I notice the range on the skill is 10k, which is more than enough to cover the whole map and then some.

Spider senses tingle and I notice someone triggered my trap, so after capping bear I decide it’s time to give wolf a visit by activating the skill. To my surprise, I moved about 2 inches. A single rock on the floor stopped me from getting to my destination.

What the kitten ?

Why does the skill even have a 10k range if it works the same way as a shadow step which is beyond limited and gets caught on every rock/leaf/twig and even air itself

I thought it would be a “portal” like teleport, you know… I would appear there instantly and that’s that. The skill itself comes with advantages/disadvantages and situations where picking to stay rather than port would be more beneficial.
Example, porting to a mob wouldn’t work in your favor. Leaving too early and losing the point you were capping since you aren’t there to help your team anymore.

This trap would be so much more appealing if it actually worked like the mesmer’s portal ( mechanic wise when it comes to the actual teleport )

And that’s just shadow trap, don’t get me started on the multitude of other relatively bad utilities =|

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

This is a problem with all Thief-related teleports – they are meant to operate on the system that you have to be able to get to the destination on foot. It’s understandable with the “Shadowstep” labels, but when something like Shadow Trap exists with such a long range, it needs to be free from that boundary.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

To put things in perspective.
Spirit watch itself is very buggy when it comes to Shadowsteps.
The bottom right, top right and top left bridges have dead zones in their middle where you cannot shadowstep. I do believe this extends to some other areas in the map, however primarily if it tries to path itself through the bridge then it’ll screw up since those are deadzones.

The great forum duppy.

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

…The possibility didn’t even occur to me that it might work like an ordinary shadowstep. I just assumed it was a proper teleport, and I suppose by coincidence that assumption was never proven wrong.
That has to be changed.

in Thief

Posted by: ski.4927

ski.4927

I don’t think it could work that way as it could allow thieves to, say, place the traps in front of keep doors, wait for a person to run inside, and then teleport into the keep. There needs to be a way for them to stop us from exploiting it. That kind of thing aside, I do wish it worked that way. Porting across a map onto someone would be fantastic.

Turkish Krul – Druid

in Thief

Grimwolf.7163

It does explain why, half the time when I use it, the marked person is nowhere to be found.

in Thief

Posted by: ryokoalways.3450

ryokoalways.3450

The only maps that I take shadow trap are Foefire and kyhlo. Every other one it’s too random whether the teleport actually works or not.

in Thief

Posted by: Kaon.7192

Kaon.7192

Just wanted to bump this because it’s literally my most anticipated bug fix for Thieves. (Yes, more than the Last Refuge of Doom)

A working version of this skill (teleport instead of shadowstep) will allow a Thief to bring so much more mobility to the team. It will also guarantee them the element of surprise against someone trying to backcap.

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

I don’t think it could work that way as it could allow thieves to, say, place the traps in front of keep doors, wait for a person to run inside, and then teleport into the keep. There needs to be a way for them to stop us from exploiting it. That kind of thing aside, I do wish it worked that way. Porting across a map onto someone would be fantastic.

im sure the can differentiate the 2 on coding/programming by settng up towers as a differnt area/land etc idk. but you have a really good point

in Thief

Grimwolf.7163

They could change it to teleport you to the location of the trap itself instead of the one who triggered it. Being a very long range Shadowstep, most of the time it fails to take you to the target anyway.

in Thief

Posted by: Kaon.7192

Kaon.7192

They could change it to teleport you to the location of the trap itself instead of the one who triggered it. Being a very long range Shadowstep, most of the time it fails to take you to the target anyway.

Yes I agree that this would be less prone to exploits.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

how about chaning the skill entirely. maybe (just an idea) shadow trap is not visibile to enemies and when triggered it immobilizes them for 3 seconds while teleporting you to their location triggering a blinding powerder in area (causing stealth to u and blinding enemies)…….maybe to make it less Op just 1 sec of immobilize. i think it would fit the name and be totally useable

in Thief

Posted by: Puru.4217

Puru.4217

As long as this trap doesn’t act as a personal mesmer portal, it won’t be worth it.

It’s not my fault if S/P is not popular !!!

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

This skill should not be a skill it should be a trait, possibly on the trickery line. When any trap is triggered you can shadow step to your trap. This improves the other traps. It improves this skill. It improves traits. It doesn’t break balance. A new skill can then be made to replace shadow trap and it should not be another trap since there’s nothing new a trap should do.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

interesting idea. could be a very viable use for shadow builds. especially if u increase condition length

in Thief

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

Funny part is that the skill actually worked before update (where you teleported whether you wanted or not)

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

in Thief

Posted by: muscarine.5136

muscarine.5136

Spider senses tingle and I notice someone triggered my trap, so after capping bear I decide it’s time to give wolf a visit by activating the skill. To my surprise, I moved about 2 inches. A single rock on the floor stopped me from getting to my destination.

What the kitten ?

:DDDDD

That would make an awesome GW2 short parodic comic strip.

in Thief

Posted by: Rafahil.2857

Rafahil.2857

The skill can be really fun if it worked as intended meaning it teleported you regardless of terrain.

Imagine being in the EB jumping puzzle and put a shadowtrap and allow an enemy to trigger it, you wait until he’s almost at the chest and then you teleport to him and deny him the chest

Or put a shadowtrap at a camp and do you thing elsewhere and when your camp is being attacked you instantly teleport back to defend.

It’s such a waste in its current implementation and would really make it a wortwhile skill if it worked as intended.