Shadow return nerfed

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

Now only ports you back 1200 range instead of infinite range.

All is vain.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Aleth.9630

Aleth.9630

Yeap
And usually it’s a lot less than 1200 because of weird pathing and objects in the way. It feels so bad now.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Excalibur.9748

Meh, thieves get nerfed every patch. This one was no exception…

All is vain.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Pentalic.5409

Pentalic.5409

We shouldn’t call this a nerf so much as a bug fix. Shadow Return was never intended to be a infinite range shadowstep-back. It now requires you to know more about positioning and the ins and outs of the skills (ie. being able to put it down when not targeting anyone. This becomes extremely useful now that the range is what it should be).

Blackgate – Asuran Thief – Pentalic The Silent
“A wise man once said something. No one paid attention.”

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: YourOwnFear.2743

YourOwnFear.2743

It isn’t a nerf, lol. It is a bug fix. The skill was clearly labeled with a 1200 unit range and we have been able to use it to juke people well beyond 2000 unit range. It only affects trolls anyways. I never used it beyond 1200 units unless I was going to intentionally troll someone.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Puru.4217

Puru.4217

http://i.imgur.com/AzRuvaT.jpg

Trying shadow return for the first time to see how terrible the return pathing will be now, stuck inside a wall.

Gj.

It’s not my fault if S/P is not popular !!!

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Obviously, those who are saying that this is a “bug fix” have not played GW1 at all and have no idea what they are talking about.

THIS IS NOT A BUG FIX!

That’s all I have to say about that.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: YourOwnFear.2743

YourOwnFear.2743

Obviously, those who are saying that this is a “bug fix” have not played GW1 at all and have no idea what they are talking about.

THIS IS NOT A BUG FIX!

I believe the tool tip that has been on the shadow return skill proves it is a bug fix. Shadow return range has always said 1200 units. This isn’t GW1 and the skill was clearly labeled.

Is this a joke that I am not getting?

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Pentalic.5409

Pentalic.5409

THIS IS NOT A BUG FIX!

Obviously YOU have never listened to State of the Game, or been in any stream where dvs openly comment on skills and tooltips. Jon Peters himself said that this was a bug they were working to fix, as Shadow Return was never meant to have infinite range.
WHY you would bring up GW1, I have no clue. Stuck in the past? Not sure… All I know is that you shouldn’t base current knowledge SOLELY on previous knowledge, or you can never move forward.

Blackgate – Asuran Thief – Pentalic The Silent
“A wise man once said something. No one paid attention.”

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Heh. That one was expected … and I’m fine with it.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Foddzy.6291

Foddzy.6291

Aww, obviously it was a bug fix, but kitten it was so fun in WvW while it lasted. Honestly, infinite range on shadow return isn’t overpowered in WvW compared to some of the utilities/synergies available otherwise, and it was especially not overpowered when considering the huge burst damage available to some classes. They keep talking about toning down burst damage but all the fun stuff just keeps getting nerfed.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

THIS IS NOT A BUG FIX!

Obviously YOU have never listened to State of the Game, or been in any stream where dvs openly comment on skills and tooltips. Jon Peters himself said that this was a bug they were working to fix, as Shadow Return was never meant to have infinite range.

We obviously heared differently when he said that because before the NERF, shadow return does not have infinite range because it has a time limit. So this “infinite” idea is misrepresented to justify a NERF!

WHY you would bring up GW1, I have no clue. Stuck in the past? Not sure… All I know is that you shouldn’t base current knowledge SOLELY on previous knowledge, or you can never move forward.

If we do not base current knowledge from previous knowledge, how can you even say that you are progressing and not simply repeating the previous mistakes?

Am I stuck in the past? Of course not, but I like to use the past as a solid foundation. A house stands upon a billions of years old Earth is it not?

I have no clue

Now that is something I agree on.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

We are improving thieves mobility

Infiltrator’s Strike is no longer 1200 range and has a high chance to bug you into walls and some times simply hit the terrain and only teleport you 300.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

It’s a bug fix , not a nerf ( Read the Tooltip ) – good patch so far

play hard , go pro.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Daecollo.9578

Its a bad bug fix, because now its more bugged then it was before, it should teleport you back to the previous location regardless of how far.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Its a bad bug fix, because now its more bugged then it was before, it should teleport you back to the previous location regardless of how far.

It’s called “job security.” I’m starting to wonder if these changes are being QA’d.

They like fixing a bug that is not a bug to begin with and the bug that has been in existence since beta still exists.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Daecollo.9578

That bug was there to stop pathing.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Kallist.5917

Kallist.5917

It would have been so much nicer if the range ad been 1600 or something.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: avilo.1942

avilo.1942

Those of you saying this was just a “bug fix” are wrong. This was a purposeful nerf. But i honestly do not care anymore. I already stopped playing thief, have an 80 ele and working on other chars.

This nerf was the last straw, I literally played thief because of sword/dagger and the awesome mobility with IS/shadow return.

So, they nerf stealth because of noobs, nerf damage, nerf mug, ETC. now they nerf a thief mobility skill? That is the last straw for me. I sat through the other BS arenanet threw the thief’s way, assuming they would never go so far as to actually nerf a thief mobility skill.

But it seems they were already headed down this road of idiocy a while ago. Just very disheartening that they basically continually and savagely…do you know what to the thief.

Ridiculous. Someone fire the dev/person who decided to nerf shadow return.
The hypocrisy and idiocy in this move are even more lulzy.

Scumbag anet:
“We want the thief to have more mobility so we’re toning down/nerfing stealth.”
Then…
“Proceeds to nerf the thief’s best mobility skill.”

L M A O

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Orpheus.7284

Orpheus.7284

incomplete nerf as people will be getting stuck alot…

more mobility…heh…

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: McFribble.2349

McFribble.2349

THIS IS NOT A BUG FIX!

Obviously anyone who sees this as anything more than a bug fix don’t know how to read. The skill CLEARLY stated it only had a 1,200 range (lol, “only”).

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Excalibur.9748

I guess ANET wants every thief to be a back stabbing thief that abuses stealth.

All is vain.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

I can’t stop smirking at the whine.

It was a bug fix, you where using a bugged skill and you’re complaining about a nerf? GTF over yourselves.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Kajiri.8215

Kajiri.8215

This made thieves weaker, so it is a nerf by definition, regardless of it being a bug fix or not. Since when are these terms mutually exclusive?

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

McFribble.2349

This made thieves weaker, so it is a nerf by definition, regardless of it being a bug fix or not. Since when are these terms mutually exclusive?

Thieves were riding on a broken skill that was working in their favor. Now they have to adapt to the skill as it was originally intended.

It isn’t a nerf, because the skill works exactly as it was described, and no better since day 1.

The term “if it ain’t broken; don’t fix it” only applies when something isn’t actually broken…

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

WereDragon.6083

Because it wasn’t purposeful class balancing or adjustment it was a bug fix.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Kajiri.8215

A nerf is determined by the change it has on the game, not the reasons behind the change.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerf_

In this instance the change was both a bug fix and a nerf.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

http://i.imgur.com/AzRuvaT.jpg

Trying shadow return for the first time to see how terrible the return pathing will be now, stuck inside a wall.

Gj.

I knew this “fix” would be accompanied with more (negative) bugs.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

WereDragon.6083

A nerf is determined by the change it has on the game, not the reasons behind the change.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerf_

In this instance the change was both a bug fix and a nerf.

Hang on lemme log into my wikipedia account and edit that bit.
(If you catch my drift on Wikipedia’s reliability.)

Back on topic. The fix ISN’T a nerf. it’s a bugfix plain and simple the skill was supposed to work like this, someone dropped a 0 instead of a 1 in the code and we had a busted skill NOT working as intended.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Thrutian.7931

Thrutian.7931

If they had just implemented it without the bug in the first place, or fixed it WAY earlier, then you guys wouldn’t be complaining about it being “nerfed”. Fair enough it was useful in PvP/WvW but it wasn’t intended to work like that.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Kajiri.8215

Back on topic. The fix ISN’T a nerf. it’s a bugfix plain and simple the skill was supposed to work like this, someone dropped a 0 instead of a 1 in the code and we had a busted skill NOT working as intended.

I’ll give you that one. I coudn’t find a decent source that actually defines nerf at all. Thats probably the problem.

Player 1: “Hey, thieves are so much easier to handle since the nerf.”
Player 2: “Oh yeah? How so?”
Player 1: “They finally fixed the Shadow Return bug.”

I just don’t see this as contradictory at all. Let’s just agree that a bug was fixed, and that thieves are weakened for it.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Yeah, it says that it has 1200 range on the tooltip. Know what else it says?

“Teleports you back to your original location”

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Daecollo.9578

Teleports you into a pixel 300 away, lose initiative!

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Kajiri.8215

How dare you come in here looking fabulous and making good sense! We are arguing semantics here. SEMANTICS. <3

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

THIS IS NOT A BUG FIX!

Obviously anyone who sees this as anything more than a bug fix don’t know how to read. The skill CLEARLY stated it only had a 1,200 range (lol, “only”).

If you cannot justify why this is a bug, then it is not a bug.

If you think it is a broken skill because it’s too powerful, then say it as it is and not call it a bug.

It is insulting when their intention is to nerf it but hiding behind the pretense of a bug by calling it a bug. Don’t hide under the pretense that it is a bug, it only makes you dishonest.

Just call it as it is.

It is a NERF!

A bug fix is when Anet finds the time to fix our auto-attack timing — now that’s a bug fix worth praising.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Excalibur.9748

THIS IS NOT A BUG FIX!

If you think it is a broken skill because it’s too powerful, then say it as it is and not call it a bug.

It is insulting when their intention is to nerf it but hiding behind the pretense of a bug by calling it a bug. Don’t hide under the pretense that it is a bug, it only makes you dishonest.

Just call it as it is.

It is a NERF!

A bug fix is when Anet finds the time to fix our auto-attack timing — now that’s a bug fix worth praising.

And it would be a buff when that happens. Call a spade a spade…

All is vain.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

McFribble.2349

THIS IS NOT A BUG FIX!

Just call it as it is.

It is a NERF!

Anet aren’t hiding under the pretense that it is a bug. WE are claiming it was a bug, and it has now been fixed. Anet did nothing to say their end but fix the bug at hand.

If this ultimately nerfs thieves, then it is a nerf that shouldn’t have happened in the first place (NOT in the favor for Thieves). Sorry if you have grown too comfortable with EZescape number 7 not working as intended for almost a year, but this is a fix thieves should have been getting ready for ever since it was made clear as day that the range to Shadow’s Return didn’t synch with it in practice.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

THIS IS NOT A BUG FIX!

Just call it as it is.

It is a NERF!

Anet aren’t hiding under the pretense that it is a bug. WE are claiming it was a bug, and it has now been fixed. Anet did nothing to say their end but fix the bug at hand.

If this ultimately nerfs thieves, then it is a nerf that shouldn’t have happened in the first place (NOT in the favor for Thieves). Sorry if you have grown too comfortable with EZescape number 7 not working as intended for almost a year, but this is a fix thieves should have been getting ready for ever since it was made clear as day that the range to Shadow’s Return didn’t synch with it in practice.

So that’s all it takes now? To claim that it is a bug and it is so?

Like I said, you cannot justify it.

And you know what? NOW it is bugged and need fixing. When do you think they will fix that?

But hey, if it makes you superior over any thief whenever Anet nerfs us, then enjoy yourself….why are you even here?

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

WereDragon.6083

I’ll give you that one. I coudn’t find a decent source that actually defines nerf at all. Thats probably the problem.

I just don’t see this as contradictory at all. Let’s just agree that a bug was fixed, and that thieves are weakened for it.

Ill concede I couldn’t find a good point for my opinion either. =P
Though I didn’t look long XD

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Kajiri.8215

Ill concede I couldn’t find a good point for my opinion either. =P
Though I didn’t look long XD

No, no, you’re supposed to rage and be angry. Its not allowed for two people to settle a disagreement peaceably on the thief forum.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Thorp.7982

Thorp.7982

The skill had been that way for too long, about time it was fixed. Going so far that I would get load screens to return to my original location was clearly broken and cheesy. It would have been cool if it were intended, but from what I remember the tooltip had/has a range indicated.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

The skill had been that way for too long, about time it was fixed. Going so far that I would get load screens to return to my original location was clearly broken and cheesy. It would have been cool if it were intended, but from what I remember the tooltip had/has a range indicated.

Yes it has a stated range and also an internal timer of ~15s. It is obvious from the start that this skill is based on GW1 skills like Shadow of Haste. By giving it a 1200 range, it only traps the Thief inside that circle limiting our mobility. How is that a fix?

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

Good bug fix.

It’s sad to see people defending an ability that had no limit to how far it can teleport you (other than the time limit).

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

I think this one kind of needed it. I was playing against s/d in spvp and he was juking all over the place and abusing the return part. It was the most annoying fight ever.

Just another noob thief…

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

McFribble.2349

THIS IS NOT A BUG FIX!

Just call it as it is.

It is a NERF!

And you know what? NOW it is bugged and need fixing. When do you think they will fix that?

But hey, if it makes you superior over any thief whenever Anet nerfs us, then enjoy yourself….why are you even here?

I’ll start off by saying I am here because my main is in fact a Thief. Just because you “claim I don’t play a thief doesn’t make it so”.

Second, I don’t need to claim that Shadow’s Return was bugged prior to the patch, it was proven by the skill itself.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadow_Return_

1,200 range

Twelve
Hundred
Range

If it did any more than that (which it OBVIOUSLY did), it was bugged and not working as intended. This isn’t even up for debate, it is fact. The skill prior to patch did NOT work as intended. It now works within the listed range, albeit with a new bug in its place (no one is arguing this needs to be addressed). However, the topic isn’t about Shadow’s Return being bugged, there is already a thread about that. The thread is about Shadow’s Return getting NERFED. It didn’t. It got fixed.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Daecollo.9578

It also says

Return to your original location. Cure one condition.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

WereDragon.6083

The biggest thing i’m disappointed about in this though is it limits the builds people will run, moving MORE people into cheesy D/P… Even more so with the slight fixes it got today. truly detest that build as a P/D thief.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: laquito.5269

laquito.5269

One of the main reasons I started using S/D – even before the flanking strike buff – was the ability to port far distances via Infil strike. You just set a spot and engage a fight and when something didn’t turn out as expected, you could literally just reset the fight by porting back. For me this was the ultimate trolling weapon set, because it nearly made you uncatchable.

Of course it wasn’t balanced that you could travel distances that even got you loading screens on return, but in its current form S/D feels a lot less ‘viable’ than before. The main problem I have with it is that it now works just like shadowstep, which doesn’t port you back to your original place once you have traveled a certain distance, but rather ports you 1200 range backwards.

I’d like to see it work like it did before, maybe with a max range cap (2000ish), but 1200 feels rather meh atm, but maybe thats just me. Somehow this has an aftertaste of Anet pushing us more and more towards D/P cheese builds. Either way I guess I’ll have to get used to it…

Retired GW2 Player

(edited by laquito.5269)

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Fade.5904

Fade.5904

I fixed the broken bone in your leg by amputating the limb.

Prior to the ‘fix’ to play s/d well you had to have pretty good situational awareness.
Know where you set the return point etc.
Now the skill seems to use line of sight and elevation.
IE if there’s something in the way
of the return you tp up to it (or inside it)
If where you set the return point is higher or lower than where you use the return skill you tp up to or inside it.
Its now guesswork where your going to end up, it doesn’t feel intuitive and has made the skill feel clunky.
Doesn’t sound like a fix to me.

Shadow return nerfed

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

THIS IS NOT A BUG FIX!

Just call it as it is.

It is a NERF!

I’ll start off by saying I am here because my main is in fact a Thief. Just because you “claim I don’t play a thief doesn’t make it so”.

Second, I don’t need to claim that Shadow’s Return was bugged prior to the patch, it was proven by the skill itself.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadow_Return_

1,200 range

Twelve
Hundred
Range

If it did any more than that (which it OBVIOUSLY did), it was bugged and not working as intended. This isn’t even up for debate, it is fact. The skill prior to patch did NOT work as intended. It now works within the listed range, albeit with a new bug in its place (no one is arguing this needs to be addressed). However, the topic isn’t about Shadow’s Return being bugged, there is already a thread about that. The thread is about Shadow’s Return getting NERFED. It didn’t. It got fixed.

That’s… Not even the right skill…

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadow_Return

Note that it also says “return to your original location”, not “teleport in the direction you started from up to 1200 meters”. Furthermore, since when was intent a necessary indicator of whether or not something was good?

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter