Shortbow Thieves

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: viciouspike.8624

viciouspike.8624

I don’t understand what the rave is with that build with that as a main weapon in dungeons. It isn’t viable at all except to stack might and then you switch to S/x or D/x.

I was just doing CoE and I generally don’t care how people want to play but when I saw that the thief was using SB for a main weapon I just got irritated then I saw that she switched and had p/p as the off hand combination, I immediately voted to kick the person. No one else voted to kick her and we finished the dungeon with her but I feel that the person just wasn’t of much use.

Hell I feel a PVT condition built d/d thief does more damage than SB probably not true but if I am in the middle of it all using d/d and s/p if any other thief is coming into the room they need to step it up and learn to dodge properly.

/rant

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

I have a better time with ranged weapons in dungeons because I die if I attempt to melee.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: Crawford.4135

Crawford.4135

I don’t use Sbows at all (but will switch out to stealth the group with SS)
If you’re dying from Melee’ing then you should probably relook at your gear and trait setup.
I’m 2.9K armor (PVE build/gear) and can take 2hits from a boss while the Heavy’s get downed on 1Hit

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

Being tanky is fine but it takes away from damage capabilities. The reason why I would prefer damage over tank stats is because the faster the boss dies the less it attacks and the less likely chance that I won’t have to burn any amount of initiative just to keep myself from dying.

That’s just me.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

viciouspike.8624

I run all dungeons full zerker and rarely go down. Learning to dodge properly is not hard.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Kicking people for using a weapon set that you don’t like is pretty poor. There are plenty of inexperienced thieves who can’t survive the alphas at all so if this thief did stay alive you shouldn’t complain. I personally wouldn’t use shortbow as a main weapon in CoE but I shadowstep in and out of the alpha circles and I haven’t seen any other thieves do that either.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

Once you learn alpha’s windup it’s pretty easy to dodge his attacks. And if I had the dreamer SB would be my main wep too. Who wouldn’t like to shoot ugly one horned mules?!

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

viciouspike.8624

How is it poor for wanting a party member that is useful to the group? The person used ranged weapons exclusively probably didn’t have a single melee weapon in the inventory…

It is just like a bearbow do you want that person just sitting at the back ranging away having their bear grab the agro of everything in sight and then they refuse to revive you because in their infinite wisdom they are the amazing because they don’t go down?

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: wish.1027

wish.1027

Maybe you should of tried to explain to them how to do the content correctly instead of just dismissing them as a bad and trying to remove them from the group?

You should always give people a chance to get better before dismissing them IMO. I think thats your only mistake here.

EDIT: But ya, shortbow does jack nothing for damage, youre right about that. I wouldnt want to play with this person as they were either.

Jade Quarry Warrior Strike Force [SF]
w/ an alt Thief and Guardian.
Math is your friend.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: irishking.8956

irishking.8956

i disagree considering that everyone is applying bleeds on bosses and mobs max stacks is 25 so every just apply’s bleeds when u could doing more base dmg with short bow and sustaining bleeds with cluster and poison i would rather have a zerker with a SB then a DD applying bleeds when everyone in the group does that with base attacks and can manage it at 25 stacks with out them its a waste for dungeons i think

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: The Game Slayer.7632

The Game Slayer.7632

I don’t understand what the rave is with that build with that as a main weapon in dungeons. It isn’t viable at all except to stack might and then you switch to S/x or D/x.

I was just doing CoE and I generally don’t care how people want to play but when I saw that the thief was using SB for a main weapon I just got irritated then I saw that she switched and had p/p as the off hand combination, I immediately voted to kick the person. No one else voted to kick her and we finished the dungeon with her but I feel that the person just wasn’t of much use.

Hell I feel a PVT condition built d/d thief does more damage than SB probably not true but if I am in the middle of it all using d/d and s/p if any other thief is coming into the room they need to step it up and learn to dodge properly.

/rant

youre taking the game a little too far Q.Q

I am a teef
:)

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

Nop , he is right . SB and P\P thief deserves a kick . It’s like a bearbow without a bear .

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

Nop , he is right . SB and P\P thief deserves a kick . It’s like a bearbow without a bear .

not always, much easier to use range on legendary grawl thing and dredge fractal boss but outside of those 2 situations using a shortbow other than to stack might deserves a kick

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

viciouspike.8624

@atse
You can use Signet of Agility and Hide and Shadows to remove conditions. There is also a trait that removes a condition while in stealth every 3 seconds.

@irishking
At the end of the day both SB and d/d condition are both useless.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

@atse
You can use Signet of Agility and Hide and Shadows to remove conditions. There is also a trait that removes a condition while in stealth every 3 seconds.

@irishking
At the end of the day both SB and d/d condition are both useless.

Perhaps you should try them out before you knock them.

SB is good for damage AoE and movement and d/d conditions have arguable the best bleeds any profession can offer. If the d/d condition thief is the only one using bleeds, you will definitely want him for adds.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

viciouspike.8624

To state this correctly I am talking about for a dungeon. If you honestly thing SB is good damage anywhere and that a d/d condition build is useful in DUNGEONS then you probably need to rethink how you play.

The point of running in an experienced dungeon group is to get it done as quickly as possible so that each individual member can go on to do whatever.

Now let’s consider that 3 out of 5 people in a party decide on a condition build 25 stacks are the most after that they have minimal additional damage. I am not sure but that DoT more likely than not doesn’t add up to what a zerker would pull off in the same amount of time.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

They are actually. I use shortbow on my main and have a superior sigil of fire on it. Right now the auto attack crits literally for 1337 and explodes for a little less than that. When there are adds I spam clusterbomb which can hit up to 15 times, way more than other professions’ AoE. And better yet, hitting and critting with all three bombs deals more damage than the big explosion plus bleeding and the big explosion crits for 4.5k.

I am doing this while I stay alive.

As for d/d conditions, they have arguably the best bleeds. However, it also has the best cripple and one of thief’s most evasive weapon set. Having one d/d condition and the rest zerkers will not only leave condition damage set but after the bleeds are applied the thief can disengage and provide support.

If you really expect a thief to be useful by facetanking with everyone else in zerkers then all I have to say is you really need to understand this class better.

(edited by Zacchary.6183)

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

To state this correctly I am talking about for a dungeon. If you honestly thing SB is good damage anywhere and that a d/d condition build is useful in DUNGEONS then you probably need to rethink how you play.

Maybe you should rethink how you play. Even if we were to agree with unanimous consensus that the SB was altogether inferior in dungeon runs (we don’t), it’s still ridiculous to try to kick someone just because of the weapon they are using.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Clumsy.6257

They are actually. I use shortbow on my main and have a superior sigil of fire on it. Right now the auto attack crits literally for 1337 and explodes for a little less than that. When there are adds I spam clusterbomb which can hit up to 15 times, way more than other professions’ AoE. And better yet, hitting and critting with all three bombs deals more damage than the big explosion plus bleeding and the big explosion crits for 4.5k.

I am doing this while I stay alive.

As for d/d conditions, they have arguably the best bleeds. However, it also has the best cripple and one of thief’s most evasive weapon set. Having one d/d condition and the rest zerkers will not only leave condition damage set but after the bleeds are applied the thief can disengage and provide support.

If you really expect a thief to be useful by facetanking with everyone else in zerkers then all I have to say is you really need to understand this class better.

i dont think you understand how low that damage is, to put it in perspective every 3.5 seconds i can hit 40-45k without max buffs
edit: trying to find that vid of a thief doing nearly 70k every 3.5 seconds, ill post it if i can

(edited by Clumsy.6257)

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: PCanineBrigade.4916

PCanineBrigade.4916

Pretty much every class that camp ranged weapons tick us off lol.
On-topic: SB damage is pretty okay if you spam Cluster Bomb. Auto #1 AFK is not ok.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

stuff

I guess you are right but that’s only because im using PVT/Valk. SB is meant for multiple targets which probably is why its AA is so weak.

My point is however that asking one of the squishiest classes to melee in a dungeon where everything is a lieutenant+ is stupid. If the thief ends up downing/dying that’s -1 person doing damage.

Regardless if it’s their fault or not, if the thief draws too much aggro and burns up their escapes, they die and make it that much easier for the team to wipe. Using a shortbow prevents that by keeping the thief at a distance while giving them the options for support.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Clumsy.6257

stuff

I guess you are right but that’s only because im using PVT/Valk. SB is meant for multiple targets which probably is why its AA is so weak.

My point is however that asking one of the squishiest classes to melee in a dungeon where everything is a lieutenant+ is stupid. If the thief ends up downing/dying that’s -1 person doing damage.

Regardless if it’s their fault or not, if the thief draws too much aggro and burns up their escapes, they die and make it that much easier for the team to wipe. Using a shortbow prevents that by keeping the thief at a distance while giving them the options for support.

and why would the thief get downed? seems more like a skill issue than a weapon issue

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

It is a skill issue but what does it matter? Not everyone on this game is good enough to run dungeons with robotic precision like those that can. Don’t blame a thief who wants to play it a little safer by using shortbow especially when they are not dying with it.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: Walker.3056

Walker.3056

If you dont want this kind of people in your grp DO NOT PUG get a guild or friends and do it. if you are pugging you shouldnt complain

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: Eodwen.2613

Eodwen.2613

I play condi/zerk hybrid build with a mix of carrion rabid and rseker gear and crit strikes trait line. Weapon sets i use is d/d and p/d. I did try dire build but it was ackward in a lot of situations.

I must say its ok… but less boring than zerker d/d.
About 50% less dmg than full zerker and makes up for it with bleeds.
Its also great with adds as metioned above.

But a full cond build lacks twice as other cod builds since it only relies on bleeds and cond builds generally underperform in dungeons when put together.

I dont think thief was made to be built as pure condition anyway.

One thing i miss is sb though its the one weapon i find a use for in any situation be it extra dodge, immobilise, cluster bombing on top of a field. Its a superb utility weapon imo.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

If you dont want this kind of people in your grp DO NOT PUG get a guild or friends and do it. if you are pugging you shouldnt complain

This too.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

viciouspike.8624

Amazing.

If I advertise for an experienced group I have the right to be as selective as I care to be when pugging which includes removing people who the group feels aren’t contributing at all.

There is a time and place to use Shortbow, Arah Lupi. A thief sitting next to a ranger just pew pew pewing away is useless whether you agree or not.

That lovely 1337 crit damage pales in comparison to the auto-attack chain of d/d. I stated earlier that the point in running dungeons in an experienced group is to finish it as quickly as possible. You are barely contributing to achieving that goal.

Lastly to reiterate what Clumsy has said… Learn to dodge. You are a thief you have plenty of ways to jump in and out of combat to ensure you don’t go down often.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: Walker.3056

Walker.3056

If you want that level of grp just go make a guild or make friends not hard well that depends… just cause a player use certain weapons doesnt mean he/she isnt experienced.
You should change you lfg for samething like this: Zerks only + melee only + die = kick

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

Amazing.

If I advertise for an experienced group I have the right to be as selective as I care to be when pugging which includes removing people who the group feels aren’t contributing at all.

There is a time and place to use Shortbow, Arah Lupi. A thief sitting next to a ranger just pew pew pewing away is useless whether you agree or not.

That lovely 1337 crit damage pales in comparison to the auto-attack chain of d/d. I stated earlier that the point in running dungeons in an experienced group is to finish it as quickly as possible. You are barely contributing to achieving that goal.

Lastly to reiterate what Clumsy has said… Learn to dodge. You are a thief you have plenty of ways to jump in and out of combat to ensure you don’t go down often.

But that lovely d/d can’t compare to shortbow vs multiple opponents and it sure as hell can’t do much to support the group as well either. While your min/maxed zerks are hitting up to 3 guys at a time I am hitting all of them. While you guys are placing fields I am making blast finishers.

I seriously doubt you know the class at all let alone their shortbow attacks.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

sb has good aoe dmg and is good for kiting, i use it together with d/d and doing fine

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Clumsy.6257

Amazing.

But that lovely d/d can’t compare to shortbow vs multiple opponents and it sure as hell can’t do much to support the group as well either. While your min/maxed zerks are hitting up to 3 guys at a time I am hitting all of them. While you guys are placing fields I am making blast finishers.

1. why are you using blast finishers in combat? your job is to use them to spam stealth to run past stuff
2. s/p has more utility than sb in combat
3. s/p hits higher on 3 than sb does on 5 (edit: thats higher on the 3 hits total then shortbow hits on all kittens total)

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

Amazing.

1. why are you using blast finishers in combat? your job is to use them to spam stealth to run past stuff
3. s/p hits higher on 3 than sb does on 5 (edit: thats higher on the 3 hits total then shortbow hits on all kittens total)

1.) Not your’s or anyone else’s jurisdiction to decide my role in a group. In fact I despise speedrunners because when they try to do a speed run they usually screw up and we end up taking 2 hours to complete.

2.) How so? S/P is for tanking small kitten with black powder and chewing through defiant with Head Shot.

3.) SB 5 doesn’t do ANY damage. If you are talking about SB 2 you are seriously wrong there. They relatively do the same damage but Clusterbomb can hit more enemies than sword’s cleave.

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

I feel like that first point must be a joke.

S/P has more utility for melee—since it is a melee set—but even so, it’s not particularly useful against elite mobs.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: OIIIIIO.7825

OIIIIIO.7825

I find it best for most dungeons to be done with :

Beserker Armor / Trinkets
Scholar Runes

S/P Vs Mobs w/o defiant (PW)
D/D Vs Mobs with defiant (CnD Backstab)

I have not seen a lot of SB thieves, but that is probably because I am usually the only one in my groups. I think the best thing you could do would be to discuss why they are using that playstyle and later offer suggestions on what they could do to improve. If they are not interested and are causing issues in the dungeon by being a liability then kick.

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy
and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)
of a vanquished opponent.

(edited by OIIIIIO.7825)

Shortbow Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

If everyone is running berserkers, and they nearly are. Then a condition any class has a spot. I am happy I don’t run dungeons with most of you.