Shortbow build

Shortbow build

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Here is my attempt at shortbow build :

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAV4an8lCFOhdmCmOB8PhFYCbOEWCThephFVbQLBEAKAA-TpQ3gAA7P4XGAA

A few thing :

- Shortbow is main set and d/p second.
- Impairing dagger is HUGE it’s strait up 5 poison stacks with Potent Poison and panic strike passive.
- Choking gas daze is strait up usable after the engage.
- sunless is for trolling, nobody expect a basi venom channelling to fear them.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

Shortbow build

in Thief

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

I was thinking something more along the lines of this

The poisons are at 98% duration provides ample Burst as well as cleanses, I was using both Distracting Daggers and Spider Venom for large burst but it cut into to the survivability too much.

(edited by Sly.9518)

Shortbow build

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

The issue with shortbow is mainly one of knowledge. Once other players learn not to stand in the field it will go back to being a niche support weapon fairly quickly. Mainly they just need to avoid spamming attacks inside a CG field while moving out of it. Once outside they can spam ranged attacks and punish the thief for spending initiative on the CG field(s) and poison utilities.

The niche it shines in has significantly increased, however. Before it was soft denial of ressing and even softer point denial. Now it can really interrupt a lot of enemy skills.

Take for example the downed stealth ability for thief. CG will make interrupting that while preventing ally res possible. It may also serve as anti res gyro tactic.

As a momentum builder SB can truly shine.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

Shortbow build

in Thief

Sly.9518

Upsides of SB is it allows positioning if you manage ini, making you able to kite players and with that make players move through the poison Fields, and you can always swap to the second set and pressure there as well while building lots of poison if traited. By no means will it replace D/P Meta Thief but it’s definitely an interesting build/Play style giving Thief a semi viable kiting build and point pressure build

Shortbow build

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

P/D is better for kiting but requires more timing and care with Shadow Strike.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

Shortbow build

in Thief

Posted by: Kirochique.9186

Kirochique.9186

I’ve been ripping PvP a new one with my short bow since the patch, Pair that with the D/D Dodge spam thief and all of a sudden everyone starts PM’ing you with hate :,D
Wayyy too powerful in mid, where you can just put hella pressure on point.

Jhadir the Charr Thief (ET) EradonTerrace
All the dodge!

Shortbow build

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Dagger mastery in a d/d build rocks. DBlossom in a SB poison field is a killing machine. People will adapt and its effectiveness will drop but these changes are significant.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

Shortbow build

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

The poisons are at 98% duration provides ample Burst as well as cleanses, I was using both Distracting Daggers and Spider Venom for large burst but it cut into to the survivability too much.

hum didn’t think about that rune that’s interesting !

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

Shortbow build

in Thief

Sly.9518

hum didn’t think about that rune that’s interesting !

Yeah it’s nice to run since if you do get hit you get Damage boosts as well, otherwise I would say run Undead Runes for the added Toughness which converts to Condi damage

Shortbow build

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Since your main weapon is SB, Lotus Training is useless. You don’t need the 10% condition damage boost instead what you need is escape and damage reduction, thus Dash is better in this build.

Carrion + Thorns is the best combination for this build. Deadshot + Thorns works too but with less Vit.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Shortbow build

in Thief

Sly.9518

The lotus training I was using more for he whirl finisher in The Choking Gas to stack more poison

Shortbow build

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

The lotus training I was using more for he whirl finisher in The Choking Gas to stack more poison

Well experience-wise, Lotus doesn’t bring enough to the table. You need to have defensive skills. In theory, it looks good to go all out offensive, but you also need to consider that being immob as a Thief is not healthy and chill will put your Shadowstep in a very long cooldown.

I just thought it’s worth mentioning.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

Shortbow build

in Thief

Sly.9518

Well experience-wise, Lotus doesn’t bring enough to the table. You need to have defensive skills. In theory, it looks good to go all out offensive, but you also need to consider that being immob as a Thief is not healthy and chill will put your Shadowstep in a very long cooldown.

Yeah it is worth mentioning but with Immob and such I use SB 5 to kite as needed I don’t just Spam SB4 and 2, I try to combo off each individual field as much as I can. Then kite as needed rinse repeat.

Shortbow build

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Yeah it is worth mentioning but with Immob and such I use SB 5 to kite as needed I don’t just Spam SB4 and 2, I try to combo off each individual field as much as I can. Then kite as needed rinse repeat.

That’s my reason not taking Lotus, I’m not a big fan of SB5 — too costly.

Shortbow build

in Thief

Sly.9518

Yeah it can be costly, but right now I am just testing it out, the burst potential is nice

Shortbow build

in Thief

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

Been having some good success running something like this (in wvw) with P/D as the main set and Shortbow as the secondary. 100% duration on bleed/poison with P/D and absorption/draining sigils on the S/B. Dash instead of Lotus Training.

Opening burst goes basi-steal into impairing daggers, body shot then swap to bow for the poison field (which should be interrupting adding torment/lifesteal/stealing off resistance).

(edited by roamzero.9486)

Shortbow build

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Been having some good success running something like this (in wvw) with P/D as the main set and Shortbow as the secondary. 100% duration on bleed/poison with P/D and absorption/draining sigils on the S/B. Dash instead of Lotus Training.

Opening burst goes basi-steal into impairing daggers, body shot then swap to bow for the poison field (which should be interrupting adding torment/lifesteal/stealing off resistance).

There a varied number of sources of Immob available to the thief. The change to body shot makes that one yet more ususable. Needle trap is another source along with impairing , that same needle trap out of respite and panic strike. The effectiveness of the gas field goes up as youy implement those immobs.

You certainly do not need them all but having at least two separate sources is of great benefit.