Should i give up on making a thief?

in Thief

Posted by: Alucard.7439

Alucard.7439

I recently started playing guild wars again cause i was busy for the past 5-6 months and had stopped playing.I decided to play a thief (Mostly for playing pvp). But after looking at the forums i lost any will to play a thief.All i hear is how nerfed and hated the class is and this is happening only to thieves(at least to this extent). So in the end making a thief is a waste of time? Because i would really hate to level a class to 80 and then realize that no matter what i won’t even be able to be average in pvp no matter how good I am?

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

to anet: plz read this.

in Thief

Posted by: Teamkiller.4315

Teamkiller.4315

It’s just forum goers being overdramatic as usual. You can read any class forums, they all have something that makes them terrible, although granted the thief at the moment only really has one niche role that it excels at, and that is killing inexperienced loners.

But yeah, rangers are terrible for anything but small scale, warriors are terrible for spvp, guardians have a broken autoattack on their only ranged weapon making nearly all ranged combat unviable, engineers gettin continuously nerfed just like thieves, mesmers bugged izerker and other abilities, necros…lol…, and eles continuing to recieve nerfs. Notably, only a few of these come close to the level of continual nerfs the thief has gotten, namely the ranger. However, this doesn’t mean they’re unplayable or not fun to play.

Much better to try the class and see, than

in Thief

Posted by: Acaelus.2138

Acaelus.2138

I recently started playing guild wars again cause i was busy for the past 5-6 months and had stopped playing.I decided to play a thief (Mostly for playing pvp). But after looking at the forums i lost any will to play a thief.All i hear is how nerfed and hated the class is and this is happening only to thieves(at least to this extent). So in the end making a thief is a waste of time? Because i would really hate to level a class to 80 and then realize that no matter what i won’t even be able to be average in pvp no matter how good I am?

Honest answer: Dont roll thief -not worth the grief and frustration you suffer from other professions and/or nerfs that seem to come on a monthly basis. (coming from a thief main since bew3.)

GoM- Worm : Acaelus Thorrne(Guard) Dai Shaan(Warr) Althorr(Ele) Priince of Ravens (Thief)

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

If your are a GOOD player, any class will be good for you, although some will be easier, more rewarding to play, others alot more dificuld and somtimes frustrating, thief is one of the second kind of profession.

I main thief since BW1 and consider myself fairly skilled, i cant complaint much but if you are not a fast learner with quick reflexes or simply don’t have much time available to train, than i’d suggest you play a different profession. Otherwise, as i said before, you can play any class you wish including thief ofc

in Thief

Posted by: Nettle.9025

Nettle.9025

If you enjoy the class and its style, stick with it. It’s not nearly so bad as people make it out to be. If you need help with something, don’t be afraid to ask. There are plenty here who will give you advice.

Badding up tourneys since 2012
NA tPvP – Elementalist – Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Everyone hates Thieves. The developers cater to the… well, everybody.
I’ve let slip before inside the /yell chat in WvW that I was a Thief, and immediately got a bunch of random insults for that alone.
It’s irrational.

in Thief

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

Honest answer: Dont roll thief -not worth the grief and frustration you suffer from other professions and/or nerfs that seem to come on a monthly basis. (coming from a thief main since bew3.)

Vouch + don’t roll thief.

~also thief since BWE2

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

in Thief

Posted by: Engels.8537

Engels.8537

So you had decided to roll a thief when all the other classes were complaining about how TOO good it was and the forums were full of “thieves are OP” threads, and now that it’s been toned down you lost all your interest?

Errr, yea, well, the thing is you’ll need to be at least decent to “be average”. If you are just a baddy you’ll kill baddies and die to decent players, as it should have been from the very beginning.

Don’t talk to me about toughness and vitality, damage avoidance is all in this game

in Thief

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

Only give up if your not having fun playing the class. I main a thief since launch and 95% of my hours played is on my thief. I love the class and enjoy the play style. The point is this is a game and you should play it for fun, if you play the class and feel to overwhelmed and aren’t having fun, then maybe the class isn’t for you. Just know, just like any stealth based class in any MMO, we get a lot of buffs and a lot of nerfs. They will give you a great build, then nerf it to the ground. Just be prepared to adapt…

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Play what’s fun, and if that means you roll a Thief, then so be it, but heed the warning – you will be universally hated just for being one.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Alucard.7439

So you had decided to roll a thief when all the other classes were complaining about how TOO good it was and the forums were full of “thieves are OP” threads, and now that it’s been toned down you lost all your interest?

Errr, yea, well, the thing is you’ll need to be at least decent to “be average”. If you are just a baddy you’ll kill baddies and die to decent players, as it should have been from the very beginning.

Not at all. Other classes always complain about other classes and how op they are. The only reason i decided to roll a thief is only because i like the thief and the playstyle. When the forums were full of “Thieves are OP” i wasn’t even checking the forums at the time. I didn’t even know they existed. I only wanted to know if there are thieves who enjoyed playing and they weren’t miserable like a lot of guys i have seen on the forums. Apparently there are. Maybe i will continue leveling up my thief. Not sure yet.

(edited by Alucard.7439)

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

if i would start again, i WOULDN’T roll the thief again !
not under the current conditions.

in Thief

Alucard.7439

If your are a GOOD player, any class will be good for you, although some will be easier, more rewarding to play, others alot more dificuld and somtimes frustrating, thief is one of the second kind of profession.

I main thief since BW1 and consider myself fairly skilled, i cant complaint much but if you are not a fast learner with quick reflexes or simply don’t have much time available to train, than i’d suggest you play a different profession. Otherwise, as i said before, you can play any class you wish including thief ofc

I usually agree that if you are a good player no matter what class you choose you will pull through i’m just concerned because there are numbers involved and sometimes skill doesn’t always count when numbers are involved. Also you are talking at a guy who enjoyed every little second of the masochistic dark souls which is widely considered as one of the hardest games. (It isn’t that hard if you actually learn to play) My point is that a like both a challenge and difficulty and i find it way more rewarding to win if i actually have strived and fought for it

in Thief

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

My experience is that a thief is fun to play, but its not as “effective” as other classes in a lot of areas that are important in the game.

In dungeons thiefs bring little to the table that other professions can’t bring better or safer. Yes, a thief can dps, but a warrior can do it with less risk, more reliability and still bring some group buffs. Guardians, warriors and mesmers bring more to the group and can still do huge dps, and its a group scenario…

In tpvp a thief can roam, but has a hard time contesting/holding points as it relies on mobility and/or stealth to stay alive. Again, its a group scenario and the thief brings not much to the group that other professions cant do better (or have more tools to do it better)

In WvW its a good profession to go 1v1 or cap non-upgraded S-Camps. But again… other professions can do that just as easy and still bring more to the Zerg scenario, and zergs are what really metters as they are the ones getting the upgraded stuff and winning the points.

In overland PvE its a fast class to move around maps and get those vistas and stuff, but you will have problems trying to solo group events and/or champions that other professions have more tools to deal with, while still being able to roam fast on the map.

All in all… Thief is fun to play, its challenging and can do everything in the game. But other professions can do the same things better or just bring more to group-play.

in Thief

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

can you spam #2 ? if so you are perfectly qualified to be a thief.

in Thief

Posted by: yiksing.9432

yiksing.9432

While I’m not great at thief, I would say it is still worthwhile to make one because it will make you a better player when playing any other class. The issues i do not like about the thief is,

1) you have very limited utilities to equip in order to survive in wvw
2) 90% of all thief builds except condition build requires traiting into critical strikes to actually do decent damage. I personally would like to run something like 0/0/30/20/20 for direct damage build but after testing with 4 sets of different armors and jewelry combinations, the damage and surprisingly lower HP (not what I expected from being defensive traited).

Just my 2cents

in Thief

Posted by: Brumen.9720

Brumen.9720

Yay i find myself always puttin 30 points into CS.
And % critical damage stuff.
I’m not a skilled player for sure, i could be wrong, but if i do not i find myself doin poor damage, and i got low hp and toug. as a thief.
I would really like to see some traps changes; i think theres a lot of potential there to make wider our range of choices:

Charr need no gods !

in Thief

Posted by: Mahedros.9103

Mahedros.9103

Idk where u thiefs get all this “we has no burst now” thing, i just got bursted down from 100 to 10 (3k armor 21khp) by a thief.

SF- Mahedros – Necro [ARG]-
Januz- Ele [ARG]

in Thief

Posted by: Deathspike.1870

Deathspike.1870

If you’re good at playing the thief, you’ll still be very powerful. Just.. don’t be glass. Realize that you have to have a lot of knowledge about the class and other classes to dodge, but the potential is amazing.

Active: Mesmer, Warrior
Inactive: Guardian, Elementalist, Ranger, Thief (ex-main)
Leveling: Engineer, Necromancer

in Thief

Posted by: Puru.4217

Puru.4217

Yup, i’d wait one or two year before making one if i were you, the class might be heavily reworked at this point (probably two).

You can always try playing one with completly random builds, that will make you overall far better at the game and help you counter other thieves.

It’s not my fault if S/P is not popular !!!

(edited by Puru.4217)

in Thief

Posted by: Kadin.3086

Kadin.3086

too many trash talking third rate players about nowadays

need some forum moderation in the form of 1v1 duels resulting in forum bans

in Thief

Posted by: Kyrion.2749

Kyrion.2749

The difference is that most of those thieves are expressing their concerns in a correct, educate, and valid fashion, whereas you are only trolling and satisfying your personal vendetta against thieves.

in Thief

Posted by: ski.4927

ski.4927

How about trakittenalking first rate players?

What do they win?

Turkish Krul – Druid

in Thief

Posted by: Elmuerto.9840

Elmuerto.9840

OP – I play to relax although it kind of winds me up playing a thief so therefore I can only play for an hour tops at a time in spvp, however I only like playing stealth classes, because I’m sneaky. If I totally wanted to chill I’d say don’t play a thief. I have played since pre-launch and I’m really just getting the hang of the thief now. To play a thief quick reactions, absolute awareness of the terrain and the position of your enemies and what they’re doing and the ability to think a tiny bit out of the box is necessary. Any little mistake and you are dead. That’s what I like about it, however a good thief can be devastating . As for PvE I don’t do it but from what I hear its not a strong point for thieves at all. I hear you, you want to have fun – there was a time thieves were pretty OP and people didn’t know how to deal with them. They are more balanced now and give more fun for the player – but they can be challenging. Playing a guardian would be more chilled out however for sure.

in Thief

Posted by: Euryon.9248

Euryon.9248

What in thee holy kitten does me copy/pasting my OWN comments have to do with me “looking pro,” “bro”?

Posting the same quote in multiple threads makes you a troll. And your “told you so” attitude makes you a juvenile troll.

in Thief

ski.4927

A troll is someone who cares not about truth, facts, or observances. They only seek to offend or upset people for the sake of enjoyment.

A troll I am not.

Turkish Krul – Druid

in Thief

Posted by: Euryon.9248

Euryon.9248

A troll is someone who cares not about truth, facts, or observances. They only seek to offend or upset people for the sake of enjoyment.

A troll I am not.

And how does the original quote you pasted in no fewer than 4 different threads not qualify as precisely that?

So now you’re also a hypocritical troll.

in Thief

ski.4927

Because I have months of L2P posts from the thief community since launch to back me up. I am not trying to anger for no reason. I am trying to help them understand what they were doing the whole time.

Only in today’s society could “give them a taste of their own medicine” be considered a troll.

To give one a taste of their own medicine:

“…to do the same bad thing to someone that they have often done to you, in order to show them how unpleasant it is "

Not trolling.

Teaching?

Turkish Krul – Druid

in Thief

Posted by: Faeyd.5094

Faeyd.5094

Alucard the friar?

Tiger