So I kinda Rescind........

in Thief

Posted by: nightblood.7910

nightblood.7910

I went ahead and played thief for a little while, and I do rescind the nerf on damage and stealth.

I do have two requests. Every single class have the initiative mechanic on their skills.

I want that on my guard.

Thats the main advantage thieves have, the other is exploiting the limited line of sight that the game client has.

So better detection of said thief when they are not in stealth. AOE detection takes entirely too much time. And well Infiltrate+turn the fight+CnD+Infiltrate out. That is really a much longer stealth than it seems due to limited detection out of stealth.

So yeah, those two things, every class should have the same initiative mechanic so we can have the same freedom in skills. Thats a significant class mechanic beyond that of every other class.

Two better detection when not in stealth. Much like NPC’s have on thieves.

(edited by nightblood.7910)

in Thief

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

The problem with every class having an energy resource to use their skills instead of cool downs is that they’ll have to be rebalanced for that. Imagine a warrior just spamming GS 3 accross a point, or a ranger doing nothing but rapid fire, or an elementalist laying down half a dozen simultaneous meteor showers.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in Thief

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

Sure lemme just Warrior GS#5 5 times in a row.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

The problem with every class having an energy resource to use their skills instead of cool downs is that they’ll have to be rebalanced for that. Imagine a warrior just spamming GS 3 accross a point, or a ranger doing nothing but rapid fire, or an elementalist laying down half a dozen simultaneous meteor showers.

Don’t forget phoenix. Can you imagine all the screeching sounds flying around?

Or obsidian flesh.

@OP: a lot of thief skills are balanced around their repeatable nature.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Kurow.3076

Kurow.3076

This HAS to be a troll post.

in Thief

Posted by: nightblood.7910

nightblood.7910

Nope not a troll post. Just me admitting I was very wrong in some other posts.

True the initiative thing is very overpowered on every other class, its overpowered on every class.

I could imagine having that on my guard and unlimited blocks. Its why I said “I want that on my guard”

But I do admit, I dont see a huge problem with damage or stealth in thieves at all. And being my lack of knowledge on it and lack of playing one showed that. If youre calling for that, then likely you dont know what makes the thief strong. Just as I did.

What makes a thief strong, is the capability to exploit the limitations of the game client and no cooldowns to contend with allowing more freedom in how you set up your skills and what skills you use. Other classes get crap skills and really dont use them often and suffer the cooldowns of the ones that are important.

But to add to this reverent is going to have a even more significant advantage beyond that of thieves with slots being on a pool of energy.

(edited by nightblood.7910)

in Thief

Posted by: Tempest Darqmane.4862

Tempest Darqmane.4862

Go check out ESO if you want resource pool mechanics for all classes. Thanks for taking the time to playtest the thief for yourself and admit you were wrong. I respect that.

in Thief

Posted by: Tonikor.5637

Tonikor.5637

What have you been smoking

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Lol.

Just gonna necro staff all day long for permanent condi immunity and permanent unblockable AOE fear.

in Thief

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

Let me get this right, you have a two page topic on trying to nerf thieves because you couldn’t beat them and I quote “1v2”.

Now you realise Thieves are rubbish, but want to spam all your skills and change every classes mechanics and balance.

Another great post. Thanks.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

What do you mean by…

“limited line of sight that the game client has.”
“limited detection out of stealth.”

Are you asking for a giant arrow to be pointed down on ever thief when they’re outside of stealth? What? I feel like I’m not understanding something here…

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

I just want a great quote so he can be added to the nerf list!

in Thief

Posted by: morbidillusion.2759

morbidillusion.2759

What do you mean by…

Are you asking for a giant arrow to be pointed down on ever thief when they’re outside of stealth? What? I feel like I’m not understanding something here…

I believe he is talking about the max camera distance and that its generally difficult to detect players whether they are constantly going invisible or not.

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

What do you mean by…

I believe he is talking about the max camera distance and that its generally difficult to detect players whether they are constantly going invisible or not.

Really…?

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: morbidillusion.2759

morbidillusion.2759

What do you mean by…

Really…?

Yeah, I mean the “limited line of sight” is either referring to fixed FOV or max camera distance or both – which a lot of players complain about. We are getting adjustable FOV though.

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

What do you mean by…

Really…?

Yeah, I mean the “limited line of sight” is either referring to fixed FOV or max camera distance or both – which a lot of players complain about. We are getting adjustable FOV though.

Well, that’s great that it’s getting adjusted…

But this is almost like complaining that my peripheral vision in real life doesn’t allow me to see what’s behind my back and that people behind my back are taking advantage of that. Oh it’s totally the people behind my back that are at fault.

Well I guess his complaint has nothing to do with thieves.

Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Thief

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

I, kinda like the OP, used to comment on thieves. I too decided to play one and have been for some time now. Pay no attention to many of these delinquents. Especially those who say things like “Gonna necro staff all day long”.

Thief skills cost initiative and initiative takes time to come back. If other professions, had this system, then I’d like to see someone spam necro staff 5 if it cost 7 initiative to cast. In addition to this, you can’t have two of the same mark.

Originally the game was suppose to have the energy system used in GW1 and the new profession coming out will make use of an energy system. So the request is not unreasonable in the slightest.

The initiative system would bring to other classes what it does to thieves. Better use of skills. If all you do is spam skills because you have the initiative to do so, then you won’t get very far. You will find yourself out of initiative and left to only using utility and auto.

Yet on a CD system, if you use a skill simply because it’s off CD then you will find yourself without the skill at a time when you need it. So like the thief, you won’t get very far.

Between the two, the initiative system is more forgiving. Yet in both systems the best thing you can do as a player is what you do already as a player. Use the skills at the opportune time to make efficient use of them.

in Thief

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

I don’t see any videos of your thief endeavors

in Thief

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

I, kinda like the OP, used to comment on thieves. I too decided to play one and have been for some time now. Pay no attention to many of these delinquents. Especially those who say things like “Gonna necro staff all day long”.

Thief skills cost initiative and initiative takes time to come back. If other professions, had this system, then I’d like to see someone spam necro staff 5 if it cost 7 initiative to cast. In addition to this, you can’t have two of the same mark.

Originally the game was suppose to have the energy system used in GW1 and the new profession coming out will make use of an energy system. So the request is not unreasonable in the slightest.

The initiative system would bring to other classes what it does to thieves. Better use of skills. If all you do is spam skills because you have the initiative to do so, then you won’t get very far. You will find yourself out of initiative and left to only using utility and auto.

Yet on a CD system, if you use a skill simply because it’s off CD then you will find yourself without the skill at a time when you need it. So like the thief, you won’t get very far.

Between the two, the initiative system is more forgiving. Yet in both systems the best thing you can do as a player is what you do already as a player. Use the skills at the opportune time to make efficient use of them.

cant really say waiting 12 seconds for initiative enabling to use any of your 5 skills is the same as having to wait 20-30-50 seconds cooldowns

in Thief

Posted by: choucs.4507

choucs.4507

It’s ridiculous when you see some s/d dueling, they just keep spamming 3 3 times in a roll, all missed and they don’t give a kitten. yet they still win some how thanks to that sword 2

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

They win largely from fire/air procs.

Again, more issues with fire/air procs giving some builds more, unpredictable damage than what they should have.

in Thief

Posted by: lollasaurus.1457

lollasaurus.1457

Lol sd thief duels are about who lands more steals and more air fire procs (all instant damage) between evade frames