So I want to use Fist Flurry...

in Thief

Posted by: Lamuness.3570

Lamuness.3570

I picked up thief because I liked stabbing some fools in the back for tons of damage, but that’s been nerfed to the ground. Currently, I am really enjoying the idea of a martial arts or ninja-like character. So I am currently using Staff but I’m not sure if this could be the best thing to use for it.

I am not really good at making builds, so I am asking you guys, what do you think is a good weapon set to use with focus around being martial arty with Fist Flurry / Impact Strike? I guess if I wanted to be sort of ninja-like I’d use distracting daggers. I kind of want to fit in Impacting Disruption too somewhere, but it might be asking for too much. This would be for PvE and/or PvP.

Also, if I interrupted someone with Palm Strike, and I have Impacting Disruption, does this give me 2 stacks of Pulmonary Impact? It seems like I could theoretically have a thing that bursts for 10kish dmg O_O.

in Thief

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

Pulmonary procs once from skill and once per interrupt. Lemme see if I can scrounge something up for ya: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoYWn0MBVmiNmC+OB8PhFkiyLGCiegrBCgFY+9v/+H-TJBGABeXGAgnAQanCAb2fAA Might work. It stretches a bit, but does make a good pvp build. Steal so set hook, hook into palm, dodge out set daggers, swap to dagger dagger and hop in with HS/distract etc. I say ultimate is up to you as is RFI, but if I were going for your build I’d use this personally. Not sure on pve equivalent. =) Hope I helped. Oh dash is taken because of the sheer value, as always. =) Good luck.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in Thief

Lamuness.3570

Cool I’ll try it out. I came up with something sort of similar, but I think I may opt for bound instead of dash and impact strike instead of basilisk. Thanks!

in Thief

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

Basilik is pretty key to hitting a full fist furry. Without a real stun you may feel like everyone just dodge some of the hits of it and you’ll never get the Palm Strike.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

in Thief

Posted by: Tarkan.5609

Tarkan.5609

Basilik is pretty key to hitting a full fist furry. Without a real stun you may feel like everyone just dodge some of the hits of it and you’ll never get the Palm Strike.

^ This.
If you really wanna use Fist Flurry, I’d recommend taking Basilisk Venom over Impact Strike.
You can destroy squishier targets really quickly if you baited their stun breaks before.

PvP, Teef & Engi

in Thief

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

Fist flurry is an amazing utility I love it… I land it without any CC’s all the time so it is quite doable. Just a timing thing, I do like to couple it with steal though just so I know I’m right up on top of my target.

Also- Impact Strike can give you the cC you need to use it just as basilisk can, just not as easy to land.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

in Thief

Serious Thought.5394

I know peeps gonna get mad, but you can run Devourer Venom. Proc it on your Flurry then just go ham.

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Basi and flanking strikes + stun dura = full flurry.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Thief

Serious Thought.5394

Dev+Flurry=full flurry

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Try a sword and infiltrator’s strike, it’s great to land fist flury. and fist flury compensate a lot the lack of dammage on that set.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

I like the following combo:

Queue backstab, steal, fist flurry, spam HS.

Open using basi venom to ensure you get a good stun on the first hit mug does. Make sure you hit the second follow up ability on fist flurry to ensure a 2s stun for spamming HS…

It’s a pretty good burst. I’m running berserker ammy and dash tho instead of maurauder and bound.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Azure The Heartless.3261

Dev+Flurry=full flurry

The most bs I have ever seen

Can this be a thing, Could Flurry be viable?

leans in close

Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Thief

Lamuness.3570

Palm strike activates when the last hit of flurry hits, right? Couldn’t we just precast it and steal into it?

Thanks for all the advice! This is awesome!

in Thief

Azure The Heartless.3261

Palm strike activates when the last hit of flurry hits, right? Couldn’t we just precast it and steal into it?

Thanks for all the advice! This is awesome!

no, all hits have to land.

you can precast it but your reflexes need to be stupid twitchy to steal in the time between the activation and the first hit.

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

You have to cast palm strike. Kind of like a follow up skill.

I like landing the backstab, then going for the full flury + palm strike for another 2s stun. Usually 1-2 hs do it after that unless they have 25% auto immunity…

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Serious Thought.5394

If you run improv, stealing runs the chance of resetting your palm strike and either giving you the cd or just throwing it completely on cd. But it ends the skill. So don’t steal with Improvisation traited, lesson to learn. Does nothing to takedown though >.> kitten?

Edit:Also, terrifying concept but- what would happen on a Flurry sinister build? http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoYVnMJCVmiFNBONB8PhlWCzrMEpSRzjwW4LULAcAWAA-TJxFABsv/g5lBA4UAMwTAAA

Queue jaws music?

(edited by Serious Thought.5394)

in Thief

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

Pulmonary impact + steal and fist flurry together at the same time while interrupting a skill with steal is double impact + mug + air/fire proc = most likely a one shot for non warriors/necros (thanks to health pool, not cuz OP).

I’d recommend DA/Trick/DD:

Mug, panic strike and executioner (improv optional).

ToC, Bountiful theft, SoH

Weakening charge (although I like physical training because I actually enjoy the DD heal skill), impacting disruption and unhindered.

Rune of the revenant + marauder amulet and air/fire in your main hand.

As you can see, you’re susceptible to conditions quite a bit (2s of resistance on heal should alleviate that a tad bit). This isn’t a serious build (since fist flurry isn’t usable in higher tiers), but it is 10/10 crazy fun.

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I was using trapper runes before the nerf with staffas weapon. Stealth superspeed to enemy by laying a a trap hook strike from flank with flanking strike then fist flurry.

Or. Use shadowtrap.

Port to trap which stealths for hook strike for knockdown fist flurry with 15 stacks might. Follow with with impact strike. You can aso lay this trap right on the enemy and immediately get the trigger for hook strike and knockdown. Runes of DH would mean a fist flurry with 21 might stacks if traited traps.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

I wish they would reverse the order of the two skills. Palm Strike was a lead attack in GW1 iirc. A stun followed by Fist Flurry would be pretty nice with the pulmonary impact on the end of the Flurry. It would be a little like Pistol Whip without the evade or movement restrictions then.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

Running fist flurry+devourer venom is too costly. If you miss it (there is still quite high chance for that), you have no utilities, and utilities are kind of important on a thief. It’s better to pick only fist flurry and panic strike trait, then use it when it procs.

Signed, level 1 alt

in Thief

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

I wish they would reverse the order of the two skills. Palm Strike was a lead attack in GW1 iirc. A stun followed by Fist Flurry would be pretty nice with the pulmonary impact on the end of the Flurry. It would be a little like Pistol Whip without the evade or movement restrictions then.

That one confused me also and I understand there must be balance reasons but I’d rather stun first to better land the flurry and at least force a stun break if they get interrupted.

Kash
NSP

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

That one confused me also and I understand there must be balance reasons but I’d rather stun first to better land the flurry and at least force a stun break if they get interrupted.

Yeah, I mean there’s still counterplay available if they reversed the order, but right now it takes another utility to land this one, and often I feel like the Flurry ends up missing some strike somewhere due to an autoproc anyway. They could even move some of the damage from Palm Strike to the final strike of the Flurry to make sure it isn’t overwhelming.

In my head I had combined Temple Strike into Palm Strike because it was usually followed by CC.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief