So Who's Playing Pistol These Days?

in Thief

Posted by: Cempa.5619

Cempa.5619

Hi,

Would like to hear from those who still find Pistol / X fun and have been able to also feel productive and effective with it these days -feel free to share build!

Thx

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

It’s definitely fun, but I only like it in PvE. P/D is great for solo leveling/PvE and P/P is a solid spec for dungeons.

Loperdos has a great guide for a P/P dungeon build. It’s not as high damage as a melee build, but you can always swap out a few talents in the middle of a run and equip melee weapons if you really need the extra dps. Link to thread and build:
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/82179-buildguide-examination-of-ranged-thieves/

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

only had 1 hand in thsi video (post surgery recovery) ….but p/d is VERY usable with the right build. onlly d/p is annoying bit its a draw if ur good.

i still play it in zerg/guild play.

in Thief

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

I P/D in WvW. You get to zerg surf, scout, rez people, yak slap, all kinds of fun. It’s all about finding the build that works for you and your style. And what you consider fun. And productive. And effective. All that kind of thing.

Shadow Arts: IV, V, XI
Acrobatics: II, VI
Trickery: III, VII
Skills: Hide in Shadows, Signet of Shadows/Caltrops, Shadow Refuge, Blinding Powder, Daggerstorm/Thieves Guild

I’m in Carrion gear with Krait/Afflicted using Pizza to get over 75% bleed duration. Acro traits are highly flexible and should be picked by what works best for you.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Pistol shot damage is very low. Pathetically low.

in Thief

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

I used to run with P/D but I found D/D with caltrops and sigil of Geomancy easier to maintain bleeds within melee range especially in wuvwuv.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

in Thief

Posted by: stronnghest.1426

stronnghest.1426

I use p/d for WvW when i get bored of d/p lol, I like it cause i feel it has a more relaxed playstyle where i can stand back and press 1, and 3 if anyone tries to get close :P

in Thief

Posted by: Markes.7568

Markes.7568

Tell me this when I kill you in sPvP real fast. In 1v1, P/P is the best.
With Haste and Unload, it can do a lot of damage in a few seconds. Takes from you more than half of the health.
I play right now with one, and I am at 47. I can kill Veterans easy solo. You just have to know how to play.
U will be in tight spots, but I consider this a hard mode in GW2 and I’m having a blast playing with this kind of character.

in Thief

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

I am using pistol/pistol to level. I pve only, and I like it!

in Thief

Cempa.5619

With Haste and Unload, it can do a lot of damage in a few seconds. Takes from you more than half of the health.
I play right now with one, and I am at 47. I can kill Veterans easy solo. You just have to know how to play.
U will be in tight spots, but I consider this a hard mode in GW2 and I’m having a blast playing with this kind of character.

Could you share more? How do you gear and talent as well as how do you like to open and maybe share utilities?

in Thief

Posted by: Markes.7568

Markes.7568

Could you share more? How do you gear and talent as well as how do you like to open and maybe share utilities?

Ok, my build is this: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAqaVlUmKOHeS6E95Ex2DgqTe6fgs6Mo5LB;TsAg0CnoqxUjoGbNuak1ssYQxUEA

This is a build for killing your opponent fast. There is no other way this build can be used.
As I already said, using Haste which grants you quickness, you can use the Unload 3 times in about 7 seconds. That is really good. So the first strikes will always be yours.
When you use Steal, you can gain life, poison your opponent, gain fury, might and swiftness for 10s. If you get conditions on you, you can use Shadowstep to cure 3 conditions. As well Hide in Shadows, which heal and also cures 3 conditions. So you don’t get in trouble.
When I hit 80, I will probably use the Berserker gear for Power, Precision and Crit Damage.

I’m playing this character for 4-5 days, and I’m already in 47. Yesterday I was at 40. And I’m not always doing events or hearts for experience.
Playing P/P can be hard and it is in the beginning, but just try to enjoy and things will be better.
In PvE it is a little bit hard. If you find many mobs, you will find yourself in a tight spot because you’ll run out of initiative and have to wait loading. But with Steal you gain 3 initiative by using it. The thing is that you can use Steal after 39s.
This is better for PvP. Please don’t try to underrate the P/P. Any class you play can be good if you know how to use it. I’m playing this as a challenge and for the fun.
My eyes almost burst everytime I use Haste and Unload and kill anyone really fast. It’s beautiful and the sound is magnificent.

in Thief

Cempa.5619

Dusted off my thief (P/D from 1 to 80) and tried P/P, D/P and S/P and I can not ignore the massive drop in survivability with P/P….P/P in full DPS gear and spec with quickness Unload burst is sick, but as soon as I go up against some one who saves evades/dodge/interrupts for Unload its over :/

in Thief

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I use my P/P on my thief for high end fractals(infact I just leave him specced p/p).

I hate backstab thief in dungeons and PVE.
D/D condition build is fun, but when condition stacks are capped at 25, I feel it can become lackluster. Not to mention, shortbowing as a condition thief is weak IMO.

I think any other combo adds more utility and support than it does damage. P/P keep me at range, and with my spec Im constantly able to dodge and grab stacks of might. Win/Win

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

in Thief

Posted by: Boson.6481

Boson.6481

My set u kitten /p with p/v/t as main stats. I use sb as my secondary, with a bloodlust signet on it. In wvw my I use sb to stack bl, then switch to s/p and the damage is pretty nuts. Many times opposing players run up when they see I’m not backing off and then they get hit for 200, 500, 2k, 5-6k etc. when I pistol whip them.

Plus at 25 stacks of bl, sb in wvw is pretty decent too, if you just want to sit in the back of the zerg and spam 1,2,4…

In pve same deal except I use a lot of caltrops, where as in wvw that slot is for shadow step for the condition remove and escape.

The only class that is near as much fun to play is engineer, for me any how.

in Thief

Posted by: Boson.6481

Boson.6481

why did it insert kitten into my first line?

my set up is

sword/pistol