So about those leaks earlier today...

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Maybe, just maybe, I did inspire something, lol.

in Thief

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

Maybe, just maybe, I did inspire something, lol.

???? huhhhhhhhh

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

in Thief

DeceiverX.8361

Check the link in my signature.

Just hoping it would follow similar design ideology.

in Thief

Posted by: Dagger.2035

Dagger.2035

I knew the name was familiar. I was thinking about searching this forum for the source.

Human Thief [DOA]
Sorrows Furnace

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

But where is the leak? I have not heard much more on the spec outside it Rifle which I am rather ambivalent about.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in Thief

Posted by: Midi.8359

Midi.8359

If you go onto GW2 reddit you can find them. Check the comments. Not gonna post directly.

Last I recall your proposal was a bit lengthy. As a real proposal should be I suppose. Care to elaborate on some of the more interesting mechanics of your concept for the sniper / deadeye?

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

If you go onto GW2 reddit you can find them. Check the comments. Not gonna post directly.

Last I recall your proposal was a bit lengthy. As a real proposal should be I suppose. Care to elaborate on some of the more interesting mechanics of your concept for the sniper / deadeye?

Thanks for that, it all I needed. It appreciated.

in Thief

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

I truly hope you did. It’s pretty much the only way I can see Rifle work as an enjoyable weapon for Thief without becoming incredibly unbalanced.
Atleast I like the name, lol.

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Yet another spec that adds no new role to the thief – we still will be +1 decap pets? :/

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Thief

Posted by: Kirochique.9186

Kirochique.9186

2 handed warhorn.

Jhadir the Charr Thief (ET) EradonTerrace
All the dodge!

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

So either critical strike or deadly art 2.0 this time ?

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Raguel.9402

Raguel.9402

Critical Strikes seems like the obvious victim since they mentioned or it was mentioned that the spec will rely on positioning plus “Hidden Killer” → Sniper? :-)

[Teef] for lyfe

in Thief

Posted by: DontPaniC.8740

DontPaniC.8740

I’d really hate to have core thief line nerfed and just copied for a stupid thief “elite” spec. It’s so stupid.

in Thief

Posted by: Raguel.9402

Raguel.9402

It is, and yet so genius Anet might just do it….again xD

Jokes aside, we’ll see how it is.

[Teef] for lyfe

in Thief

Posted by: Jugglemonkey.8741

Jugglemonkey.8741

Tbh I’m mostly just happy about being able to use my predator rifle after they gutted rifle engi, but I can’t say I’m looking forward to this spec. The idea of rifle thief kinda bores me.

That said, Deceiver’s proposal was one of the more fully developed and balanced ideas put out there, so I’d have no problem with it becoming reality either. If someone enjoys it and it’s not horrendously OP/UP, it’s a win tbh.

Critical Kit, Thief.
Don’t follow me, unless you enjoy being chased by angry men with sticks.
Power Build Condi Build

in Thief

Posted by: Grebcol.5984

Grebcol.5984

Annnd it will have 600 Range because more would be OP!

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Tbh I’m mostly just happy about being able to use my predator rifle after they gutted rifle engi, but I can’t say I’m looking forward to this spec. The idea of rifle thief kinda bores me.

That said, Deceiver’s proposal was one of the more fully developed and balanced ideas put out there, so I’d have no problem with it becoming reality either. If someone enjoys it and it’s not horrendously OP/UP, it’s a win tbh.

Maybe DeceiverX is a dev and fooled us all ^^ The last Anet’s strategy to post things in the thief subsection ahahah :p

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

DeceiverX.8361

Maybe DeceiverX is a dev and fooled us all ^^ The last Anet’s strategy to post things in the thief subsection ahahah :p

Trust me, I really, really wish this were true. I’m at least glad the concept was appreciated.

I know so many people say they could manage professions/the game better, but having put my money where my mouth is, I genuinely think the game would be in a better state if I were able to say I was a dev for ANet, despite [being a game systems designer] being my dream.

The only thing we can do is hope the concept is similar. Just because it has a rifle and is named the Deadeye does not at all mean the concept will be the same or that it will be nay good whatsoever. My proposal was good on the mechanical and design levels, and wasn’t just determined by “rule of cool.” The notion of a sniper build path for the thief is terrifying when looking at the greater state of the game.

If they can’t recognize this I think the last amount of integrity the game’s combat system/balance has, especially for the thief, will be shredded.

in Thief

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

Rifle on thief is gonna be so broken…….id rather give you guys Great Sword with a new traitline based off shadow steps

in Thief

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

Rifle on thief is gonna be so broken…

We will see. Maybe stealthed #1 causes Reveal and has a 2s casttime like Killshot.

in Thief

Azukas.1426

Rifle on thief is gonna be so broken…

We will see. Maybe stealthed #1 causes Reveal and has a 2s casttime like Killshot.

1200 range weapon on the most mobile class in the game with on demand stealth doesn’t bode well for balance.

Let’s see how it pans out, but I’m pretty sure I’ll have to call for nerfs after this one.

in Thief

Xaylin.1860

1200 range weapon on the most mobile class in the game with on demand stealth doesn’t bode well for balance.

If it was that easy P/P would be way more successful. The 300 range difference hardly is that big of an issue (maybe WvW aside) if it being paired with such an outstanding mobility was that bonkers.

As I said, maybe there is a reveal on the #1 or whatever the OHK-button will be. Maybe the OHK-button will drain all your Initiative. Maybe 2-4 skills on Rifle won’t have 1200 range (e.g. Engi) so will be toothless aside from your AA. Maybe the spec lacks innate stealth or only gets Camouflage. There are ways to balance it. We also got no clue about the class-mechanic.

Regardless, so far not the e-spec I’m looking forward to the most.

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

I could see Thief Rifle self-revealing as a mechanic. If you could channel a strong shot in stealth and then have to deal with being revealed for a few seconds after, it could create an interesting back and forth.

in Thief

Azukas.1426

If it was that easy P/P would be way more successful. The 300 range difference hardly is that big of an issue (maybe WvW aside) if it being paired with such an outstanding mobility was that bonkers.

As I said, maybe there is a reveal on the #1 or whatever the OHK-button will be. Maybe the OHK-button will drain all your Initiative. Maybe 2-4 skills on Rifle won’t have 1200 range (e.g. Engi) so will be toothless aside from your AA. Maybe the spec lacks innate stealth or only gets Camouflage. There are ways to balance it. We also got no clue about the class-mechanic.

Regardless, so far not the e-spec I’m looking forward to the most.

It doesn’t bode well for balance under GW2 game mechanics. You can throw out all the maybe’s in the world, but you can’t deny rifle on the most mobile stealthiest class in the game isn’t a wee bit scary in terms of overall game balance.

Now I also said let’s wait and see, but then again I don’t have much faith in balanced games after an expansion pack.

in Thief

Xaylin.1860

I really don’t get it. Why would that be so? Because we all assume it to be a Sharpshooter (ranged heavy hitter)? Then stealth stealth would pose an issue. Not necessarily mobility. As I said, P/P isn’t overperforming either.

Yeah, we got to wait. But why make and insist on such an argument then?
To potentially dance the ‘I-told-you-so’-dance afterwards?

in Thief

Azukas.1426

I really don’t get it. Why would that be so? Because we all assume it to be a Sharpshooter (ranged heavy hitter)? Then stealth stealth would pose an issue. Not necessarily mobility. As I said, P/P isn’t overperforming either.

Yeah, we got to wait. But why make and insist on such an argument then?
To potentially dance the ‘I-told-you-so’-dance afterwards?

P/P sucks b/c main pistol sucks balls. If you make Pistol 1 actually worth pressing then P/P would become a contender overnight.

in Thief

DeceiverX.8361

The rifle is fine if it doesn’t nuke. Shortbow at 1200 with all the mobility it had was hardly OP for actual combat as it was, but was just too strong on escapes/captures. Less so now, even.

But that’s why I proposed it as a ranged utility weapon with low damage coefficients. Any amount of ranged burst potential without massive consequence (a la mandating that all heavy ranged damage come from extended self-reveal) will do more harm than good in general.

Anyone asking for this to be a sniper or trying to make it a sniper is neglecting to consider fun gameplay game-wide and is only endorsing the mentality of the previous expansion/why the PvP environment is in such a sad state.

It’s also why I’m very skeptical about this whole thing, and see it more comedic than anything; unless ANet takes pretty much my exact implementation, this is doomed to fail, and fail hard it will. I sincerely doubt they’d be willing to take the entire concept as it was without making any major adjustments.

For the thief to have the rifle, it needs to be implemented in a smart, cohesive way that takes the whole game into consideration, particularly PvP. Anything else will be game-breaking.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in Thief

Posted by: martin.1653

martin.1653

Ranger is a sniper. With more HP. With a meat shield running in front of it. It’s only natural Thief can pull off at least same damage as ranger, but in reality should do more due to being more damage oriented class.
Rifle thief will probably have exactly 0 access to stealth, so there’s that.

in Thief

DeceiverX.8361

It doesn’t matter given the mobility the profession has. And any respectable damage coefficient turns breakable extremely easily.

People neglect to understand Vault can reach well into the 30k numbers. Even a paltry 2.5 coefficient is so breakable with how many damage amplifiers the thief has access to.

Unless you outright punish the thief, a no-tell nuke is a terrible idea, and BP as a utility with Shadowstep are still enough to break the class into being a free-win-or-free-kill based solely on specs.

If DE’s rifle is burst-oriented, it will either be blatantly overpowered or be useless compared to DrD. That’s just truth.

in Thief

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

i doubt rifle and pvp will meet . 1500 range for a thief where as the arena has lots of obstacles and line of sight combine with block, reflects will result in the same d/p meta for thief which gonna be lame

if so and we get rifle thief will have less access to stealth and more reposition skills with shadow step or evade (but evade belong to DD)

lets wait and see

in Thief

Posted by: Asur.9178

Asur.9178

i doubt rifle and pvp will meet . 1500 range for a thief where as the arena has lots of obstacles and line of sight combine with block, reflects will result in the same d/p meta for thief which gonna be lame

if so and we get rifle thief will have less access to stealth and more reposition skills with shadow step or evade (but evade belong to DD)

lets wait and see

Exactly; absolutely NOTHING will change for thief, PvE or PvP. They will still bring kitten for support, and continue being the selfish class they have always been. D/P will CONTINUE being the top dog for life.

Rifle and Longbow are literally the LAST weapons thief needed from specializations. They will add nothing to the class, nor will they change the way thief is played. This is yet ANOTHER instance where ANet is catering to the whining children in the forums and reddit without thinking it through (if the leak is accurate – I most certainly hope it is NOT).

Now, if thief got GS (a large part of me wants this tbh – there’s so much potential here) or sword offhand, or something along the lines of those…there’s far more potential; but, judging by how late in the development it is, and the likely accuracy of the leaks, that is not going to happen. So, we have to live with a specialization that allows us to afk auto attack world bosses.

in Thief

DeceiverX.8361

lets wait and see

Exactly; absolutely NOTHING will change for thief, PvE or PvP. They will still bring kitten for support, and continue being the selfish class they have always been. D/P will CONTINUE being the top dog for life.

Rifle and Longbow are literally the LAST weapons thief needed from specializations. They will add nothing to the class, nor will they change the way thief is played. This is yet ANOTHER instance where ANet is catering to the whining children in the forums and reddit without thinking it through (if the leak is accurate – I most certainly hope it is NOT).

Now, if thief got GS (a large part of me wants this tbh – there’s so much potential here) or sword offhand, or something along the lines of those…there’s far more potential; but, judging by how late in the development it is, and the likely accuracy of the leaks, that is not going to happen. So, we have to live with a specialization that allows us to afk auto attack world bosses.

Go read my proposal, then tell me it brings (or would have brought) nothing new.

It’s just we can’t expect ANet to implement it well.

in Thief

martin.1653

Thief IS a selfish class and doesn’t need any kind of support other than killing effectively. If you wanna play support then you don’t pick thief. It is that easy. Thief is assassin and rifle is just another way to play that role. I didn’t pick thief to go around tossing boons and heals.

Without DD it will have kitten mobility, because you need to consider, if you’re already taking rifle and rifle is range, it’s highly unlikely you want shortbow as your second weapon, because if something comes in your melee range you’re as good as dead if you’re stuck on SB or rifle. Sure you can port away with SB 5, but there’s a cooldown on weaponswap, and there’s initiative you won’t have to port away far. Best case scenario you port 1800 range away and disengage, waiting for weaponswap cooldown and re-engage with rifle. This is very slow gameplay and not good value.

Shadowstep and Blinding Powder while useful, will be hardly op in terms of mobility/stealth access, due to long cooldowns. You might get a kill when using those cooldowns, but then second person engages you and you’re stuck.
Outside DD and shortbow, thief has barey any good mobilty, so reasoning rifle will be broken with high damage doesn’t really stand. If you take away everything else good thief has going on, then you’re left with only high damage, and that’s ok. It’s a tradeoff, not an op buff.

in Thief

DeceiverX.8361

The point of elite specs is to change the style of play. Granted ANet failed here previously with Daredevil, that’s not the intent. A sniper, game-design-wise is the worst possible spec they could implement. Ranged burst on the thief is a terrible idea for how much innate mobility it has on top of its range. People playing lb ranger and rifle war have lower mobility, and Acro is basically the Defense line on warrior at this point.

Your post is frankly terribly misinformed. If you put attacks equivalent to backstab or vault on a ranged weapon people will be hitting twice as hard as glass GF warrior while having the safety of shadowstep and withdraw.

in Thief

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Oh god. With all the, let’s call it “heat”, in this thread with only a few people already, I just can’t imagine what the results will be when it’d hit the mainstream. It’s almost impossible to get it properly done because the balance margin is very thin.

Conclusion: Totally not happy.

Excelsior.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

in Thief

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Why are you all assuming that rifle is a burst power weapon?

They could easily make it a condi weapon. (poison dart gun anyone?) And condi would make some sense, damage-over-time mechanic of condis solves the alpha-from-stealth issue.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in Thief

Posted by: Jyrio.4637

Jyrio.4637

Id love for the rifle to be played as either condi or burst with maybe even the possibility to give the thief access to burning. Also i am worried about its viability in Pve but i trust in anet last time they only messed up the scrapper in pve and I hope they learned from that mistake.
Also i love the idea going around with more reveal mechnaics and synergies in rifle play.

in Thief

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Rifle could even be a 600 conal shotgun blast with the snipe on the stealth skill. Or it could be reversed. It could focus on burning and midrange CC. There’s so many things you can do.

My favorite thing to read though are the comments that say: “This weapon that we know nothing about won’t change anything ever at all, but if we got this other weapon that we know nothing about instead, everything would be better”. Glad we got that input.

Fishsticks

in Thief

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

Can’t imagine how they will incorporate the sniper archetype into gw2 gameplay. It has to be somewhat different from warrior rifle F1 to be interesting. Maybe it will have a delayed ground target damage skill?

Balance will probably also be very hard considering the mobility and stealth thief already got through its base class.

in Thief

martin.1653

The point of elite specs is to change the style of play. Granted ANet failed here previously with Daredevil, that’s not the intent. A sniper, game-design-wise is the worst possible spec they could implement. Ranged burst on the thief is a terrible idea for how much innate mobility it has on top of its range. People playing lb ranger and rifle war have lower mobility, and Acro is basically the Defense line on warrior at this point.

Your post is frankly terribly misinformed. If you put attacks equivalent to backstab or vault on a ranged weapon people will be hitting twice as hard as glass GF warrior while having the safety of shadowstep and withdraw.

How is my post terribly misinformed? If anything you’re the one sharing around misinformation and hyping people for no reason that rifle will be doing 10k crits with each hit. All we have so far is the knowledge that it will be rifle and probably 1500 range (based on sniper rifle on the artwork). Nothing else other than that is known. As I mentioned in my post, taking rifle as main weapon will be paired with some heavy tradeoffs regarding mobility (based on current state of game).
Unless rifle itself will bring something regarding the mobility, picking up rifle would mean you lose your best line of defense. It’s only natural that you gain somewhere else, and that somewhere else is range and damage.
If you think that teleport on 40 second cooldown == mobility and broken thief, then I think you are the one that’s terribly misinformed.
Right now, you can make 1500 range sniper out of warrior and ranger very easily, but you don’t really see them breaking the game even though warrior can literally one shot basically anything in game given the right circumstances, and both of them have significantly more HP than thief (on top of that, warrior wears heavy armour, and ranger packs an annoying meat-shield that does more damage on its own than many players).

in Thief

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

it’s going to be a nightmare to balance. rifle + thief’s current kit is a recipe for disaster

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in Thief

Posted by: Napo.1230

Napo.1230

I actually feel either way people are gonna be mad.

For wvw/pvp rifle has to beat d/p.

If it does it will be because it has huge burst potential.
Which as mentioned would be problematic.

If it doesn’t it won’t be used and the spec will just help d/p (see daredevil)

Having said that it could be condi which……..facepalm…… Can we just leave condi in the last expansion

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Last expansion was no condi for thief (staff). I think we are due for a condi friendly (although not exclusive) weapon.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in Thief

Azukas.1426

1200 range Condi burst would be worse than 1200 range power burst.

Let’s use our heads here.

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Condi burst is not worse than power burst. Projectiles have so much hate in the game that extreme range isn’t a super huge issue either. I like the idea of rifle so I’d like to be able to use it in my condi builds.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in Thief

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

Just realize a way they can implement sniping skill in gw2.

Basically, you will have have a skill charge up bar after you select a target and activate your skill. Then your skill continues charging up and you can release it any point. The longer the skill charged up, the higher damage you will do when you release it(can be related to yoru precision and ferocity).

This would be some interesting risk vs reward play you have to manage. Do you charge up longer for massive damage but risk being interrupted or do you just push the button early to get at least some damage out?

in Thief

DeceiverX.8361

Many have already come up with that idea.

And what’s stopping a thief from doing that while stacking stealth or shadowstepping during the channel negating much of the risk?

And if you force reveal, the risk will not be worth it in any competitive scene, or will be stat-wise way overpowered if balanced for small-scale when things happen to go right.

There’s no good way to implement ranged burst on the thief without either breaking the integrity of the class or making something the spec/weapon extremely over/underpowered.

in Thief

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

inb4 it’s just a better p/p with some sort of ricochet shot.

in Thief

Posted by: Killdozer.5731

Killdozer.5731

Trust me, I really, really wish this were true. I’m at least glad the concept was appreciated.

I know so many people say they could manage professions/the game better, but having put my money where my mouth is, I genuinely think the game would be in a better state if I were able to say I was a dev for ANet, despite [being a game systems designer] being my dream.

The only thing we can do is hope the concept is similar. Just because it has a rifle and is named the Deadeye does not at all mean the concept will be the same or that it will be nay good whatsoever. My proposal was good on the mechanical and design levels, and wasn’t just determined by “rule of cool.” The notion of a sniper build path for the thief is terrifying when looking at the greater state of the game.

If they can’t recognize this I think the last amount of integrity the game’s combat system/balance has, especially for the thief, will be shredded.

Wow I think you may be giving yourself a bit too much credit there.