So, thief kind of sucks now... [spvp]

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

Don’t get me wrong. I love the idea of this class. It might even be good at 1v1.

I’ve been playing the seasons. When I played thief I had about a 50-50 win ratio. Getting past first tier just took some time. I felt like some matches I was effective at killing and decaping. Other times I felt useless. I never died but I couldn’t kill anything or decap/cap because the other team rotated well and dominated my team. Any 1v1 take way too long because thief does not have spike damage if you want to survive more than a few hits….

So I started playing DH. Omg, compared to thief this class is OP. I have amazing condo removal, aoe damage, tons of cc, ranged dps and melee with gs+lb…

It’s just DH is so much better in every way. I even have good escape abilities. Try following a DH dropping traps… Lol…

Thief feels more like a novelty class now. It’s fun and can kill people and is unique. The problem is when it comes to spvp all other classes over the same thing and then more…

I’m half way through emerald. I don’t play everyday. Too much going on irl.

Anyone else feel like this? I have yet to meet a thief that gives me any trouble. Sure I die to them every once in a while when I play bad or everything is on CD. I’ve literally killed thieves by just standing there looking afk on a point. Really I’m just standing on all my traps waiting for him to steal burst me and then get dazed and insta die…

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Posted by: Urejt.5648

Urejt.5648

u are right thief is trash. many reasons but main is that thief class lost its identity. Thief is no longer stealth master, or dps master, or teleport master. its weak. all daredevil does is 7% dmg increase and 1 extra dodge which is nothing compered to scrapper or dh traps. Thief simply does not have iconic moves no more.

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

in Thief

Posted by: Asrat.2645

Asrat.2645

You really cant compare thief and dh. Dh is much easier for example, but not! stronger.
I would actually rather have one good thief than one good dragonhunter, we may have to reconsider this for class stacking. But in actuality: for most meta classes, dragon hunters are snacks that die after an initial trap burst. Thief directly counters some of those very metas and can still run away from the others.
Oh and: guard is hardcounter to thief, you will never meet a thief to beat you, but that is really only the hardcounter, not the actual strenght of the classes.
Literally everything dh does can be countered by stability and protection, you can not do much against thieves just appearing out of nowhere and +1ing a fight.
The problem is, that in order to work effectively, both teams must be at least equal. If your team never survives a 1v1 long enough for you to help them out, there really is not much use. If you kite 2 players, and they still loose to the other 3, you have not won anything.

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

scrapper and revs shut down thief too much, especially rev

not only rev has better dmg (THAT DOESN’T EVEN REQUIRTE TARGET) and sustain atm, they also have so much moblity (+ reveal) that you can’t even shake them off as thief

unless those 2 gets nerfed we will be forever trash tier at higher levels

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Thief

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

u are right thief is trash. many reasons but main is that thief class lost its identity. Thief is no longer stealth master, or dps master, or teleport master. its weak. all daredevil does is 7% dmg increase and 1 extra dodge which is nothing compered to scrapper or dh traps. Thief simply does not have iconic moves no more.

It’s funny you would say that. In my opinion thief is one of the last profession (along with maybe necro) to have a strong identity. With Unhindered Combatant, we are even more reinforced in our decap/+1 role, which feels really unique. I enjoy my thief better than any other profession since HoT, personally.

in Thief

swinsk.6410

I think UC is great and you can evade for days with the best combat mobility in game. Only problem is killing things… Thief is good for juking and running away from a fight.

I just feel like in a game where people try to win thief has lost a role…

I love getting on hot joins and trolling people though.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

One extra dodge that we already had pre-feline grace nerf.*

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Crimson Shi.5047

Crimson Shi.5047

Have to agree, i see no place for thief in spvp, most of my spvp losses were from a thief who roamed the map but because he couldn’t do anything, couldn’t cap, couldn’t +1, nothing because they countered him too good. By the same token, I see some spvp wins I had, were because the enemy team had a thief who was in the same position.

in Thief

Posted by: Yuki Aburame.5283

Yuki Aburame.5283

Well at least this season we can kill every class again (depends on player skill and all that too). Probably a combination of the upped AA damage and removal of the tankiest amulets, probably mostly the amulets getting removed…

in Thief

Posted by: DoingDaMinimum.4530

DoingDaMinimum.4530

On the bright-side we make excellent target practice. Wait… I gotta quit drinking b4 posting.

in Thief

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

Thief isn’t nearly as bad as people say, it’s just that you actually have to know what you’re doing to be useful at it, which 99% of thieves I see in PvP clearly don’t.
You can’t really win even fights (unless it’s a rare favourable matchup such as mesmer), but you easily win outnumbered fights and you have the mobility to be anywhere on the map in under 8 seconds.
You can also win 1v1s against necros if you take condi clear on dodge and dash.

P.S. I would love to have some sort of stability however… (dagger storm doesn’t count)

Attachments:

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

(edited by Random Weird Guy.3528)

in Thief

Posted by: Anomaly.7612

Anomaly.7612

I’ve been having a fun time playing P/P cheeseball in PvP lately. I don’t get hit with as much kitten flying around a teamfight. which is nice, and the burst is so good with bound and steal.

in Thief

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

The main problem is that the devs seem completely unable to figure out how to make the Thief have adequate attrition in any game mode. Most games use Stealth to provide a form of health mitigation to Thief-type classes. Stealth doesn’t work that way in GW2 – it’s an offensive supplement more than a defensive one.

in Thief

Crimson Shi.5047

scrapper and revs shut down thief too much, especially rev

not only rev has better dmg (THAT DOESN’T EVEN REQUIRTE TARGET) and sustain atm, they also have so much moblity (+ reveal) that you can’t even shake them off as thief

unless those 2 gets nerfed we will be forever trash tier at higher levels

Yup, seen it idk how many times, DH especially, shuts down Thief so hard… people who quote “oh I can outmaneuver DH” that’s nice how bout doing that, and dealing with his 4 friends… thief usually has a HUGE target on him when the enemy sees him forcing him to retreat +1 or no because they know his only real defense is to run away.

in Thief

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I disagree, I do think rev can put a lot of pressure on Thief, and I think their mobility should be nerfed some, but thief is far from useless this meta.

Scrapper can’t pressure a good thief, in fact, with the recent changes, I can now 1v1 dh on my build (running acro/dd/crit), but it takes a lot of time. Not usually worth it, but I only die to dh when I mess up.

My biggest counter right now, is another good thief. But there are so few, I’ve only met one all season. (And when I did, I cried a bit lol)

Thief is in a great spot, and will be even better once they nerf Condi reaper pressure, rev mobility, and scrapper sustain. I think with that, you’d have a fairly balanced spvp. Thief just has way too much mobility right now (don’t get me wrong, they need it in this meta, they would suck otherwise), if you aren’t taken good advantage of that and building to win 1v1, I don’t think you are playing the spec right. I’ve yet to meet a scrapper that can 1v1 me yet this season, it is usually a tug-of-war, with each of us pushing the other off the point for a period of time, and he has no way to finish me, but I can finish him if he gets in a bad spot.

Thief is so slippery right now, deals good damage, and can finally sustain if you take acro and use the shortbow. I’m very happy with the class.

http://imgur.com/72lsblw

(edited by Loboling.5293)

in Thief

Crimson Shi.5047

What league are you? Also you keep saying 1v1 1v1 1v1, it’s rarely 1v1.. thief gets the kitten burst out of them if they make an appearance. And the whole slippery thing doesn’t cause you are trying to conquer points. It’s all well and good to quick decap but why if you can’t even hold em.. and the rest of your team is getting 4v5? We can speculate all day, but so far in MY experience this is all I seen. That thieves don’t bring much to the table

in Thief

Loboling.5293

I responded in the META thread in the pvp section, but I can hold points. 1v1 I can beat necros easy without losing the point, only rev and dh can force me off the point and get the cap, but if I have enough time I can wear them down. (not usually what I do though) Druid, scrapper, can often decap a point from me, but I can do the same for them, the pressure thieves put out is too much to sustain without leaving the point with the lack of tanky amulets. I’m sure there may be some druid cleric builds that could hold a point, but I don’t ever see that. I find both scrapper and druid can be pressured off the point. (helps that engineer is my second most played profession, after ele and before thief) Druid just has no pressure that isn’t easy to avoid.

in Thief

Posted by: Zodryn.4216

Zodryn.4216

I responded in the META thread in the pvp section, but I can hold points. 1v1 I can beat necros easy without losing the point, only rev and dh can force me off the point and get the cap, but if I have enough time I can wear them down. (not usually what I do though) Druid, scrapper, can often decap a point from me, but I can do the same for them, the pressure thieves put out is too much to sustain without leaving the point with the lack of tanky amulets. I’m sure there may be some druid cleric builds that could hold a point, but I don’t ever see that. I find both scrapper and druid can be pressured off the point. (helps that engineer is my second most played profession, after ele and before thief) Druid just has no pressure that isn’t easy to avoid.

What’s your build? I can 1v1 alright, but some classes are too tanky for the amount of pressure I bring, and I’m not gonna fight for 2 minutes on point because that’s not my job.

in Thief

Anomaly.7612

I’m really curious as well and would love to try your build out!

in Thief

Posted by: Jack Daniels.5270

Jack Daniels.5270

I needed 3 wins with thief in ranked… struggled for the last 4h to do it. First I got trashed by the team mates for playing thief in conquest, so now i play only stronghold here seems nobody cares that I play thief, still have 1 win to go

in Thief

Loboling.5293

http://imgur.com/RPqkvbQ

This is from some games I got to play today. With a new build (d/p, instead of p/p). The build is not as good at 1v1, but it can support team fights better.

I still think thief is in a good spot. Still there needs to be some nerfs to some OP builds. Not much, but something is still needed. Two of those victories, I ended up on 2 thief teams. All done soloq. Also, one of my losses is from a 4v5 d/c so I lost no pips

Still having fun on thief, and I want to start to work out a few good builds and swap depending on the matchups. Some games, I have to 1v1 so much, and some my teamates know how to rotate. It is hard to tell which build will work best, but I’m going to give it a shot before the season ends.

in Thief

Posted by: Jack Daniels.5270

Jack Daniels.5270

6 hours later(with some breaks) I started to have fun and get top score. I think my mmr got low enough to enjoy it or something, il keep playing it.

in Thief

Posted by: zombeaver.1650

zombeaver.1650

didnt read all but..
im new to pvp, started playing this season.
climbed to division 3 with only 1 lose.
im playing soloq with having top score most of time and i dont feel im(thief) weak.
the biggest problem to me was another d/p thief, cuz i dont know how to play vs it (im new thief overall, and played staff only yet), few engis or stupid condi classes, still can beat some 1v1.
ps. sorry for my low english

Attachments:

(edited by zombeaver.1650)

in Thief

Asrat.2645

Ummm. Its cool if it works for you (for now) and of course its possible that you are a natural and simply mastered the class in a short period of time.
However it is more likely that you have been carried by mmr (matchmaking is a gamble right now) and, since you said yourself you are new, have been paired against other newbies.
For example: if you have not been ripped apart by guardians, your enemy was doing something very wrong.
For you as a new player I would also highly recommend to stay out of ranked matchmaking for now. Sure it can work, sure you can succeed, skip divisions to legendary and beat every player you meet…but it is unlikely.
Usually new players in ranked are a curse, more so for thieves since we require not only combat skills, but also a type of battlefield awareness that you cant learn in less than a few hundred matches.
Even more important: ranked is an incredible toxic, unhealthy enviroment, that will take the fun out of the game as soon as your winning streak receeds and things start to get challenging.

Personally I have trained about 1.2k games before entering ranked for the first time and I never regrettet it. I actually play more unranked right now, mostly for the op’s reason of ‘being told to reroll’(oops, wrong thread here. Im tracking too many I guess. But i suppose you all know, what I mean^^) and its much more enjoyable, whilst I cant say im missing that few bonus rewards. With the current mmr your pvp rank also says nothing about your actual skill.

(edited by Asrat.2645)

in Thief

Posted by: Puz.8529

Puz.8529

Thief doesn’t suck. But people only remember the bad moments.

The thief still excels at changing it up. Move around the map and play to your teams strengths and the enemies weaknesses. Then you can really make a difference.

The problem is, a lot of other players don’t want to give the thief the chance to play their role. Which means they are reducing the teams effectiveness by doing our job..

At the highest skill level we lack something, but until you meet coordinated bursts and heals, we can handle things.

Puz – TDA

in Thief

swinsk.6410

My latest class is bunker healing shout ele. Closest thing to a healer/cleric in this game. Running magi ammy…

I can heal npcs and players a lot with shouts and warhorn skills. It’s nuts. I do no damage but the support it provides is unreal compared to any healing build in the past.

I like the common idea some people are talking about which is if you are playing thief you can beat classes 1v1 if you don’t screw up… I screw up in ele all the time and I can hold a point or keep npcs in stronghold at 100% for a while before having to back out… Making tons of mistakes and just spamming buttons…

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Anomaly.7612

My latest class is bunker healing shout ele. Closest thing to a healer/cleric in this game. Running magi ammy…

I can heal npcs and players a lot with shouts and warhorn skills. It’s nuts. I do no damage but the support it provides is unreal compared to any healing build in the past.

I like the common idea some people are talking about which is if you are playing thief you can beat classes 1v1 if you don’t screw up… I screw up in ele all the time and I can hold a point or keep npcs in stronghold at 100% for a while before having to back out… Making tons of mistakes and just spamming buttons…

Thief really isn’t the 1v1 king we used to be. We used to pistol whip someone from 100-0. Those glory days are long dead. We’re actually told NOT to 1v1 anyone. Not a single person. I’ve been talking to higher skilled Thieves like Vallun, and he was telling me that it’s not our job to 1v1 anyone. We’re merely supposed to be +1’ing and decapping nodes that aren’t manned.

At this point, I kind of see Thief as a support role. We’re like that burst cooldown that someone pops when kitten starts getting real and they need to down someone fast.

Does your teammate need an interrupt on demand? We got that.
Does your team need a node decapped real fast and then head back to the teamfight to +1 and burst the kill target? We got that.
Does your team need someone to rush to stillness/tranq to get it before the team can react? We got that.
Does your team need someone to kill that treb so they can take mid? We can do that.

Thief isn’t really the 1v1 dueler that we used to be. There’s an acro staff build floating around that’s good at 1v1’s but it takes a long time to kill anyone with it, granted you won’t be killed either, but Anet has decided that Thief is really just for map control. We play the map. That’s it. If you want a good 1v1’r and team fighter, play Rev.

I was dueling a mantra power mez friend of mine today, and lost every duel unless they messed up badly. They used their mantras and bursted me from 100-0 in 2 seconds. Not even joking. And that’s with the meta D/P build. We dueled probably 15 times. I won twice because someone decided to +1 for no reason, and another because they had the wrong mantra on their bar the whole time. After getting a little tilted, I hopped on my Rev and never lost a duel again.

The old Thief role has really been taken by Revenants. I only play Thief now when I just want to play the map game and +1 when it seems necessary. Hell, Revs are also great at +1’ing as they have a plethora of knockbacks, an AoE stun on a tiny CD, and Staff 5 is just crazy. And they rez people like a god while tossing out small heals and great boons.

TL;DR: Rev is just better now at everything we can do. Sure, we can run a LITTLE faster, but that’s it. If you want to 1v1/teamfight, just play Rev. It sucks, but it’s true. Anet needs to fix this.

in Thief

Posted by: Michael.9517

Michael.9517

Thief really isn’t the 1v1 king we used to be. We used to pistol whip someone from 100-0. Those glory days are long dead. We’re actually told NOT to 1v1 anyone. Not a single person. I’ve been talking to higher skilled Thieves like Vallun, and he was telling me that it’s not our job to 1v1 anyone. We’re merely supposed to be +1’ing and decapping nodes that aren’t manned.

At this point, I kind of see Thief as a support role. We’re like that burst cooldown that someone pops when kitten starts getting real and they need to down someone fast.

Does your teammate need an interrupt on demand? We got that.
Does your team need a node decapped real fast and then head back to the teamfight to +1 and burst the kill target? We got that.
Does your team need someone to rush to stillness/tranq to get it before the team can react? We got that.
Does your team need someone to kill that treb so they can take mid? We can do that.

Thief isn’t really the 1v1 dueler that we used to be. There’s an acro staff build floating around that’s good at 1v1’s but it takes a long time to kill anyone with it, granted you won’t be killed either, but Anet has decided that Thief is really just for map control. We play the map. That’s it. If you want a good 1v1’r and team fighter, play Rev.

I was dueling a mantra power mez friend of mine today, and lost every duel unless they messed up badly. They used their mantras and bursted me from 100-0 in 2 seconds. Not even joking. And that’s with the meta D/P build. We dueled probably 15 times. I won twice because someone decided to +1 for no reason, and another because they had the wrong mantra on their bar the whole time. After getting a little tilted, I hopped on my Rev and never lost a duel again.

The old Thief role has really been taken by Revenants. I only play Thief now when I just want to play the map game and +1 when it seems necessary. Hell, Revs are also great at +1’ing as they have a plethora of knockbacks, an AoE stun on a tiny CD, and Staff 5 is just crazy. And they rez people like a god while tossing out small heals and great boons.

TL;DR: Rev is just better now at everything we can do. Sure, we can run a LITTLE faster, but that’s it. If you want to 1v1/teamfight, just play Rev. It sucks, but it’s true. Anet needs to fix this.

*nailed it. Devs need to read this.

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

If you’re trying to 1 v 1 as a thief, then that’s probably why you’re having so much trouble with the profession.

I’m far from any sort of pro, but I made diamond last season before any of the thief buffs playing thief.

If you want to win games, focus on these 2 roles:

1) Rotate to points where your teammates are in a 1 v 1 or 2 v 2 and burst down targets at low health. Rotate away from the point as soon as the target is down. Your teammates can deal with downed state. Just make sure another enemy isn’t incoming to them.

2) Decap uncapped points quickly, then get back to help your team win fights.

Never get in a fair fight. Focus on making sure your team has the upper hand in any fight that starts out as an even fight. Utilize the living kitten out of your superior mobility at all times. Play to your strengths and play a thief like a thief, not like any other profession.

in Thief

Posted by: Konoha.4613

Konoha.4613

Check out my channel if you think thief is weak…

in Thief

Posted by: Dirtyrascal.1023

Dirtyrascal.1023

Clicked the link in your sig.

YouTube says ‘This Channel Does Not Exist’

Maybe that was a dry joke because you’re saying Thief really sucks so there couldn’t possibly be a channel that has thief doing well on it????

…..or maybe your link’s bad.

in Thief

Loboling.5293

Best part of playing thief is I get a comment every few games from people who thank me for not sucking. XD

I remember when I sucked at thief, learning the ins and outs takes time, so if you are new and getting lots of wins, you are probably not yet facing the better players yet. However, good luck to anyone making it work. I think thief is awesome this season, it hasn’t been this strong in while. (almost at the same level as when it was meta about 3-4 balance patches ago)

Keep it up, and keep practicing if you want to get good at thief. It is a very fluid class, and you need to play it that way. If you focus too heavily on one thing, you are not reaching the potential of this a.d.h.d. martial artist.

in Thief

Posted by: Konoha.4613

Konoha.4613

Clicked the link in your sig.

YouTube says ‘This Channel Does Not Exist’

Maybe that was a dry joke because you’re saying Thief really sucks so there couldn’t possibly be a channel that has thief doing well on it????

…..or maybe your link’s bad.

Fixed the link.

in Thief

swinsk.6410

Yea I get it. Thief is now +1 and decap uncontested points. If I’m playing seasons im just running pure damage to add on fights and then run away and decap uncontested points. The second anyone challenges I just run away.

My point is that this sucks! Horrible design of class!

I can stand on a point and barely move as a DH and provide a huge benefit to my group.
I can spam buttons on an ele and heal my team while avoiding damage.
I can apply tons on condi pressure with great amount of survivability on necro.

All these classes are fun and require skill to play.

It takes no skill to add on a fight and decap uncontested points… In fact every other class can perform this function. The only difference is that thief will get there quicker. However, they can’t hold it if someone challenges them 1v1 while other classes can.

I perform the same function on my DH and I’ve held point 2v1 long enough for teammates to show up while keeping point under our control…

Thief has no unique role. Hence, this post.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Loboling.5293

Trust me if you want more to hold a point long enough 2v1 for help to show up you can make a build work. For me to do that, I found I only needed to include acrobatics, and high evasion builds (still running maurauder). I actually switched away from that playstyle though, as thief mobility, damage and cc is super important for winning bigger fights. I think thief is strong now, and doesn’t suck. I do think having more than 1 thief can be detrimental, but the skill of the two teams is more important, as I’ve won quite a few games playing as 2, or even 3 thieves. (Funny enough, I have better success with 3 thief teams than 2, not sure why)

Even my build, which is not meant to 1v1, can pressure some classes enough to decap the point. I can easily kill rangers, decap engies, beat necros, beat zerker dh, easily beat mesmer, beat other thieves, and I am one of the few that can completely wreck ele in team fights when they seem unkillable, the amount of cc you can add with headshots, impact strike, fist of fury, leg sweep, just makes it really hard for them to stay up.

I’d say that a good thief brings a lot to conquest, however, not just is the class hard to make work, you need teamates that know how to react to having a thief. When I run to far, get a decap and at that moment the guy who shouldve been holding mid shows up and starts capping far, while the 1 enemy decapped mid, I get annoyed a bit, but that guy didn’t realize I was about to be back on mid in less than 2 seconds (as I had used shadowstep → shadowreturn to decap and be back in the action)

Thief is more unique than people think, but rev still has too much mobility in my opinion and it needs another 3 seconds on his cooldown of shirostep. And reaper just brings too much pressure, but I think they just need to make it harder to pull off, as reaper is borderline faceroll if you have a good build.

in Thief

Cynz.9437

No matter how amazing you are on thief, you could absolutely better and have more impact on match by playing rev. Simple as it is. Anet excused all the nerfs to thief for 3 years straight with +1/mobility. Then they simply throw their own logic out of the window and create rev that can fill thief role way better, live longer than most classes, does more dmg, has multiple hardcounters to thief specifically, etc. Revs are walking middle finger for thief players from balancing team.

All is Vain~

in Thief

Posted by: Luto.1938

Luto.1938

No matter how amazing you are on thief, you could absolutely better and have more impact on match by playing rev. Simple as it is. Anet excused all the nerfs to thief for 3 years straight with +1/mobility. Then they simply throw their own logic out of the window and create rev that can fill thief role way better, live longer than most classes, does more dmg, has multiple hardcounters to thief specifically, etc. Revs are walking middle finger for thief players from balancing team.

<3 This. Couldn’t agree more.

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

in Thief

Posted by: Travis.3487

Travis.3487

I don’t understand why everyone has so much trouble with revs in 1v1’s. most revs for me are a cakewalk. And DH aren’t that hard to beat either my initial burst drops em to 10-20%hp then as they go to heal pistol 4 or use the steal skill you just got from them. Then if their traps are proc’d as you hit them, dodge/shadow step out and wait till they go away. Once the traps are gone DH’s shouldn’t be able to handle you. And true shot should be easy to dodge. Fighting dh is just placement and timing (element of surprise helps too)

in Thief

Asrat.2645

I agree with on your opinoin about the revenant. They cant deal with evades, and especially a condi build can srsly kitten them up.
But you are wrong about guards. There are a lot of bad guards out there, but even they are tough.
-A guard can easily put down multiple instaces of each trap during one fight.
-We have no stability, making it very easy to pull and push us around.
-The heal is an automated block, you cant interrupt it.
-They have multiple instances of heal, around 2- times their own health if they stretch the fight long enough
-Only idiots will alow you to severly injure them with your initial burst. There is protection, stunbreak, blocks… and no good guard runs zerker.
-You can basically avoid trap effects as a thief, but only at the cost of loosing a point. It also allows the guard to get their skill off cooldown.
-True shot is not the problem, its telegraphed enough. The bow in general is a superior ranged weapon to our choices, making it unviable to slowly kill them from afar.
In general you need to be much more afraid of a well used greatsword or hammer.
-There is no element of suprise. They stand in their traps, if you approach them and trigger the traps, you have to get out of there. After that they know you are there.

Most dh suck. that is a fact. But they still hardcounter us. I have also started to believe most revs suck too. Most of them i beat without problems. Then I met that one guy who a) literally took no damage from anything I did. b) was completely immune to cc
c) killed me with the damage of the few skills that hit me.
Most revs are way to aggresive against thieves and always attack. They dont even need to, the pressure is there even if they dont try.
I have been reading through the reveneants skills and traits. It is literally incredible. The mere idea of not winning a fight with that set of tools at hand is copletely ridicoulus.

in Thief

Cynz.9437

I don’t understand why everyone has so much trouble with revs in 1v1’s. most revs for me are a cakewalk. And DH aren’t that hard to beat either my initial burst drops em to 10-20%hp then as they go to heal pistol 4 or use the steal skill you just got from them. Then if their traps are proc’d as you hit them, dodge/shadow step out and wait till they go away. Once the traps are gone DH’s shouldn’t be able to handle you. And true shot should be easy to dodge. Fighting dh is just placement and timing (element of surprise helps too)

Get to legend, try to play thief vs pro rev. Or try to get on any team as a thief atm. Chances are even if you get a team, they will tell you to reroll rev. Issue is rev took all the jobs thieves/wars could have. There is 0 reason to take thief on team when rev exists in their current state. Same reason why you have more impact on match outcome even in soloq as rev compared to thief.

As rev you can:
- rotate just about as fast as thief (hello +1 role)
- do more dmg than thief
- help teammates (boon aura, epic rez), thieves have like 0 team support atm besides trickery boon share and lol refuge
- hold point, even vs multiple enemies (thief can’t do it)
- actually win 1v1 fights vs equaly skilled player

Annnndddd revs were given revealed on 20 sec CD which, along with scrapper one, pretty much forced every thief into DD. A cat randomly running over keyboard can do better at class balance.

All is Vain~

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in Thief

Posted by: Travis.3487

Travis.3487

Get to legend, try to play thief vs pro rev. Or try to get on any team as a thief atm. Chances are even if you get a team, they will tell you to reroll rev. Issue is rev took all the jobs thieves/wars could have. There is 0 reason to take thief on team when rev exists in their current state. Same reason why you have more impact on match outcome even in soloq as rev compared to thief.

As rev you can:
- rotate just about as fast as thief (hello +1 role)
- do more dmg than thief
- help teammates (boon aura, epic rez), thieves have like 0 team support atm besides trickery boon share and lol refuge
- hold point, even vs multiple enemies (thief can’t do it)
- actually win 1v1 fights vs equaly skilled player

Annnndddd revs were given revealed on 20 sec CD which, along with scrapper one, pretty much forced every thief into DD. A cat randomly running over keyboard can do better at class balance.

I wasn’t trying to say thief is part of the meta game or anything like that. I was just stating I don’t usually have a problem with killing revs and such. Rev is of course by far a better option than thief in almost every way you pointed out except for dmg output which is false. even though rev’s burst is filthy, it’s still not as strong as thief’s burst. BUT rev has a better sustain game so they are able to continually dish out their dmg and stay in the fight where a thief would have to disengage. I choose to play thief because I find it more engaging to play. (and frankly i’m a better thief than rev.)

in Thief

Anomaly.7612

Wow it sounds like you’re fighting awful DH’s because if they’re not using blocks against all your burst, they’re doing it wrong.

in Thief

Posted by: Reaven.3958

Reaven.3958

Preach.

in Thief

Posted by: Silverbolt.2301

Silverbolt.2301

It’s funny you would say that. In my opinion thief is one of the last profession (along with maybe necro) to have a strong identity. With Unhindered Combatant, we are even more reinforced in our decap/+1 role, which feels really unique. I enjoy my thief better than any other profession since HoT, personally.

You’re right; running away and standing at a node decapping, as you hope that one person running to you doesn’t reach you in time, before you run away again is truly a unique feeling. Nobody else can do that.

in Thief

swinsk.6410

You’re right; running away and standing at a node decapping, as you hope that one person running to you doesn’t reach you in time, before you run away again is truly a unique feeling. Nobody else can do that.

My point exactly with this thread…

Just another noob thief…