Some advice please

Some advice please

in Thief

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

My hit points are 14k at lvl 73. Toughness and vitality are on my accessory set also gemed out with toughness and vitality. The accessory set has stats found on lvl 50 stuff.

I’ve read around trying to find some answers but not really finding specifically what I would really like to know.

How important is toughness really? Most that I currently have is on that accessory set and it is a lvl 50 set I bought because I didn’t have much else over there and I wanted more hit points. Is toughness something that needs a heavy investment to actually do something? Is it a form of damage reduction and if it is a DR type of stat, how much is needed to actually matter? If it is a DR stat, is it 1 point of toughness = 1 point of damage reduction or is it something different? I’m not finding the answer in the wiki.

I’m also not sure how it works with the defense stat on armor. Frankly, I don’t understand that defense stat. Toughness doesn’t seem like it really helps much in PvE but so far the highest level mobs I’ve dealt with was in the labyrinth with all the other stuff I’ve killed in the lvl 35 zones. I plan on doing some WvW after I’ve ran around the game a bit and figured out what does what.

Since I’m still working through the PvE zones and right now I’m running around at around level 35 to 45, my gear gets down scaled with my level, it seems that I should probably still have a decent amount of toughness from that set since the set has level 50 stats. I don’t really understand how level adjusting works in relation to gear and I’m assuming that all gets adjusted also. My armor is stuff around level 60 typically with power and mostly precision or with a piece with condition damage and 2 with crit damage as a third stat. I’m waiting to 80 before I set on some armor and stats since I’ve already spent enough silver checking out some other stuff like runes.

My damage output also seems a bit weak but it could just be mobs just have a lot of hit points or I just haven’t put a focus on my armor stats. Every piece has power on it though and there are several with precision and one or two with condition damage. The gem slots have 2 items with seal of the soldier and 4 items with a major rune of the warrior. Sooo…

How do these things add up? Rune of the warrior wearing 4 items is it actually 50 vitality for each rune(15 +35 on each,) so that I’m getting 200 vitality total from that set?

What constitutes as a glass cannon? I don’t like to have low HP characters but I’m wondering if in here a glass cannon is low HP and low toughness or just low HP. I understand the power output is high just trying to figure out where it is squishy. I’m just curious for a reference when I read other people’s posts.

Where does stealth fall at in relation to boon duration? I noticed the invis timer symbol pops on the line with my skills when I activate the hjeal or shadow refuge but I’m wondering if the invis duration falls under a boon. I have 20 points put into acrobatics. It doesn’t seem like it lasts longer. Could be that the duration is so small that it is difficult to tell(I do sometimes want it to last longer though.) Shadow refuge also sometimes gives me a 12 second timer or a 10 second timer so I’m having a bit of trouble figuring this out.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Some advice please

in Thief

Posted by: FrozenLuv.6017

FrozenLuv.6017

Well, i can answer two of your questions with answers that at least i think are correct.
1: a glass cannon is usually a character with extremely high damage but low everything else, so low hp and low armour.
2: stealth doesn’t scale to boon duration because it’s technically not a boon. The only way to get longer stealth is 1: get the 15 point shadow arts trait which gives 1 more second of stealth or 2: exploit the current rendering bugs in WvW to get perma stealth (obviously, you can’t do this in pve)

Some advice please

in Thief

Posted by: BabelFish.7234

BabelFish.7234

1400-1700 toughness is good if you’re not a glass cannon. It’s relatively important but it’s not the end-all-be-all for survival (it reduces damage and a little toughness goes a long way)

As a thief you should have relatively high power, you don’t have to spec into Deadly Arts but you will need your gear to boost power 1st and then after that, depending on what you’re aiming to do precision or toughness followed by critical damage or vitality.

Valkyrie gear isn’t half bad for a Thief if you want a oddball power/vit/crit damage combination, giving you the glass cannon effect without being excessively fragile.