Something "off" with GROUND skills' range

in Thief

Posted by: Cyber.1798

Cyber.1798

Hey guys,
Am I the only one that feels that “ground targetted” skills seem to have a much shorter range than described?
This applies for “Blink on mesmer” and Shadowstep on thief…

Here’s a few snapshots of the following events:
http://imgur.com/ayClBnz,d7Uk5So,hrl3nG6,JzXG7Pw,6n8WY6w,oTZ8jOL,nIF1p9G

-I tried to attack a mob from a <900 range distance with my fast-target clusterbomb, the attack wouldnt go off
- turned off fast cast to see if im attacking right, and if anything changes. still no attack.
- attacked with Trick shot (which also reads range = 900, same as the ground cluster bomb) and it … HITS?

Somehow, 2 skills of the same range.
on worked. on didnt.
one is auto attack, one is manual ground targetting.
I didn’t move in between pictures, nor did the target.

Please someone explain why the range on ground targetting skills seems 700-range affected as opposed to their claim of 900?

thanks.

in Thief

Posted by: Shemsu.8721

Shemsu.8721

Yeah its always been like that. If you wanna get more confused, find a target at exactly 900 range, shortbow #1 hits, pistol #1 out of range

in Thief

Posted by: Cyber.1798

Cyber.1798

Yeah its always been like that. If you wanna get more confused, find a target at exactly 900 range, shortbow #1 hits, pistol #1 out of range

so is this a bug in range? or bug in weapon range description? or what?

has it been reported?

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

they nerfed ranges i think without telling us….

in Thief

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

What you are experiencing here is two different types of projectiles. Pistol fires a straight shot that goes directly to the target in a straight line. Shortbow fires a shot that archs on it’s way to the target. Arching shots basically let you get a couple extra units of range because you are hitting their feet.

Think of it this way: With both weapons you are aiming at the chest. At exactly 900 range you hit them in the chest. If you step back 5 units, your pistol shot will be out of range and the bullet will just stop. The shortbow projectile keeps going though because it’s an arch-type projectile. It passes 900 and falls down a little and hits them in the feet at 905.

This is a common issue across most professions. You can use it to your advantage in WvW where cliffs accentuate the increased arching distance. It’s especially nice with ele staff fireball. Notice, however, that air staff doesn’t work because it flies in a straight line.

in Thief

Posted by: Shemsu.8721

Shemsu.8721

so is this a bug in range? or bug in weapon range description? or what?

has it been reported?

Xenon explains it perfectly in the post above, sorry i didnt elaborate further in my answer

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Longbows and Shortbows gets some small range bonus if you are shooting from higher elevation like in your pictures and penalty if you are shooting from a lower elevation.

This is why in WvW, the one on the wall can shoot farther than the one on the ground.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.