Speculation on new Skill Type for Elite Spec

in Thief

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Speculation on new Skill Type for Elite Spec.

What you believe it will be?

in Thief

Posted by: perry.9645

perry.9645

Stances it would fit a rifle/sniper style assuming we get rifle ofc :P

in Thief

Posted by: Narcarsis.5739

Narcarsis.5739

Warhorn/Shouts sounds more fun. Bard play

in Thief

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

Weapon: Rifle
Skill type: Shout, AoE reveal, offensive group buffs
Elite specialization: Scout, or something along those lines

Still hoping for off-hand sword though. They want to build on the existing features, and there is only going to be 1 sword trait in the normal specializations.

Weapon: Off-hand Sword
Skill type: Stance or Gadget
Elite specialization: Assassin (well why not?)

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in Thief

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Given available themes for a rogue profession I’d lean towards one of the following types:

• Stance
  • Survival
  • Symbol
  • Physical
  • Marks

Less likely but still potential candidates if they go a bit out of character like with the Dragon Hunter:

• Meditation
  • Mantra
  • Manipulation
  • Glyph
Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in Thief

Posted by: Comus.7365

Comus.7365

i’m under the impression that they take something from one of the other professions so what do we have left? guardians got theirs from rangers and mesmers necros right?

anything cool from the remaining ones? i’m still new so dont know that much bout the other professions yet.

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

I’m going with Stances or Physical. Stances being more likely if we consider all the callbacks to Assassin that are already present. However, if we get Rifle then probably something else. I can’t imagine Flashing Blades on a Rifle-orientated spec.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

probably some AI crap because we don’t really have it yet… turrets inc

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Thief

Impact.2780

Plot twist, the medium armour class we saw previewed with a hammer is actually a thief, and we’re getting mini mobility turrets. It would also fit us, because they’ll be arriving pre-launch nerfed!

in Thief

Impact.2780

Given available themes for a rogue profession I’d lean towards one of the following types:

• Stance
  • Survival
  • Symbol
  • Physical
  • Marks

Less likely but still potential candidates if they go a bit out of character like with the Dragon Hunter:

• Meditation
  • Mantra
  • Manipulation
  • Glyph

Survival and manipulation unlikely because they’d likely function too similar to deception. The same could be said of gadget. Cantrips are also survival-like but not through mobility or manipulating the environment, so they could be possible with an assassin-like specialization, but only if cantrips are intended as survival skills rather than spells; if they are specifically intended as spells, thief won’t get them.

Meditation will go to ele or ranger (druid).
Mantra I don’t think will go to any class.
Glyph will go to necro if anything.
Marks and symbols aren’t utility skill types, and judging from mesmer having wells and guardian having traps, they may only be using current utility types.
Physical maybe, but tricks are kind of our version of that.
Nothing else really fits except stance and shout.

Stance and cantrip could fit for a more offensive specialization like assassin.
Shouts could fit as a support option for thieves, with the specialization being scout-like.

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I think it shouts. I think one of the shouts will be a taunt . Thieves , in the context of the game as played , are a natural for the new taunt.

in Thief

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

I have my fingers crossed for scepter & symbols with a shadow magic theme. (Even though it wouldn’t work for either of my thieves.)

But who knows? Maybe it’ll be something crazy like turrets o_O

I should be writing.

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Please not scepter. They’re all so ugly e.e

in Thief

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

Physical would go nicely with thief for a little more ninja-y, martial arts feel.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

in Thief

Posted by: Eiland.1405

Eiland.1405

I think you are right, thief is the most lacking party buffer so they would probably need to fill that role.
Other guess are less likely as Assassin is already what teef is and anything more scout is just ranger.

New class mechanic might be ‘gift’ (opposite of steal) : teleport to a friend and give them some boons or something.
Sounds boring but it is a likely idea.

Dry Leaves

in Thief

Eiland.1405

Ok new guess: Ninja
With off hand sword and physical skills (like shurikens and jumps)

Dry Leaves

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I think you are right, thief is the most lacking party buffer so they would probably need to fill that role.
Other guess are less likely as Assassin is already what teef is and anything more scout is just ranger.

New class mechanic might be ‘gift’ (opposite of steal) : teleport to a friend and give them some boons or something.
Sounds boring but it is a likely idea.

Really…what about venoms and group stealth? Necro is the most lacking party buffer imo.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Thief

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

Seems I’m not the only one with the martial artist idea. With physical skills being changed to be more powerful the more endurance you have, it actually plays interestingly in that you have to balance using your dodges and relying to much on your weapons skills for evasion. Perhaps the thief variant will be based on the amount of initiative and not endurance? Anyway, with that in mind, what weapon works best?

Assuming staff, longbow, greatsword, hammer, sword and shield are off the table, because they’re going to other professions, that leaves scepter, focus, mace, axe, torch, warhorn and rifle. I wager it’d be more interesting for the thief to wield a one handed weapon since it’d play with the dual skills better. If we’re guessing it’s a martial arts thing, then none of the weapons are particularly notable or resonant to the theme. If we take it in the mystical martial arts direction, things get a bit more interesting with scepter or focus.

Possibly an elite where you meditate briefly and enter a heightened state? Shiro Tagachi’s Meditation of the Reaper maybe?

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

in Thief

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Plot twist, the medium armour class we saw previewed with a hammer is actually a thief, and we’re getting mini mobility turrets. It would also fit us, because they’ll be arriving pre-launch nerfed!

that would be some big time trolling on Anet’s part….

Lets not forget how the Anet Art team has already trolled us with the Spear on Land crap….

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Well either the thief or the engie is going to get shouts… they did mention that some class will get access to shouts… and it’s not the warrior since each class get’s access to another classes “unique” skill types (guard got traps, mesmer got wells)…

I just hope it’s not the torch…

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Stances are the most likely in my head. There’s a lot they could bring back from the GW1 thief if they did that:
Flashing Blades
Unseen Fury
Way of the Assassin

Physical skills could be cool if they were feats that affected foes (the opposite of tricks which affect the thief):
Shattering Assault
Temple Strike
Iron Palm

Marks if they were more like hexes from GW1 might be possible too:
Augury of Death
Mark of Insecurity
Shadow Prison

Shouts was a joke in another thread

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Yeah I know it was a joke.
But I clearly remember them saying the some class will get access to shouts… Might or might not be thieves. It wouldn’t make much sense having someone/something stealthy “shout”… Then again, it is a game, and it is ANet. We will just have to see. I’m just preparing for/thinking of what’s the least desirable for me – that is torch with shouts. “HEY GUYS! I’m HERE!!!!! <waving the glowing torch>”.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Eiland.1405

An axe thief will be super cool but I don’t see it…
But the torch does make a lot of sense, an off hand torch for some condi and smoke, it fits perfectly. spec could be called ‘firestarter’

Dry Leaves

in Thief

Posted by: adepali.5824

adepali.5824

Hammer or rifle and gadgets (turrets, grenades etc), basically borrow skills from Engineers . We will be Artificers, similar to a rogue specialization in Dragon Age. We already have traps and gadgets like caltrops, wire etc it only makes sense to take it to the next level.

in Thief

Maugetarr.6823

Yeah I know it was a joke.
But I clearly remember them saying the some class will get access to shouts… Might or might not be thieves. It wouldn’t make much sense having someone/something stealthy “shout”… Then again, it is a game, and it is ANet. We will just have to see. I’m just preparing for/thinking of what’s the least desirable for me – that is torch with shouts. “HEY GUYS! I’m HERE!!!!! <waving the glowing torch>”.

Bandit specialization….. we’ll be stand ins for the queensdale NPCs!

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

I think necro might get shouts.

As for thieves, if rifle is going to be the next weapon we get there are a few utilities that’ll make sense.

Physical will make up for it’s supposedly lackluster close range abilities.

More traps because that’d make sense. Could be called “pitfalls” or “snares”.

Contacts makes sense thematically.

Marks not in the sense of necromancer marks but as in marking a target. This could actually have some awesome applications. I might just post the idea on here.

Gadgets unlike engi’s gadgets but more like sensors that detect movement and pings it on your map or a decoy which is essentially a stationary turret that doesn’t deal that much damage but has enough hp and toughness to keep enemies still to line up your shot.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Flying turrets would be nice, would generate so much QQ’s…. though we saw those turrets flying beside some (medium) class with a hammer….

Marks would make sense for a “sniper”…. I just don’t see them creating anything new for the utils, as in they will recycle something from another class…. Unless those marks already exist, then yeah very possible.

Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Thief

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

I like the idea of scorpion wire combined with physical skills that down or push people. I like the idea of creating physical distance with a push/knockdown after an attack. Stealth, knockdown, stab stab stab, dodge, pull into trap with scorpion wire, push, stealth. Yeah baby. Mmmmm.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

in Thief

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

Give me this one and make it 100% for 3sec please.

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Black_King_Bar

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

in Thief

Posted by: Parktou.4263

Parktou.4263

Shouts, thief is the only prof that makes sense to get the 6 new shouts they mentioned.

Could work well if the rifle turns out to be good at mid range and not some cheesy sniper variant. They might be trying to make the new elite spec a less stealth based build and more of a brawler type. Maybe it will be more compatible with P/P as well.

Shocking Shorty-Asura Tempest | Magnificent Mike-Troll Warrior | Lockpick Louie- Human Daredevil
Fabio Feline- Charr DH | Viktor Virtuoso-Norn Reaper | Pocket Prestige-Asura Chrono
Killer Kasserole-Plant Druid | Frankie Feline-Cat Scrapper | Felix Feline-Charr Herald

(edited by Parktou.4263)

in Thief

Posted by: Wolfe.3097

Wolfe.3097

a ranged dominant option would i guess make sense tho i dont really personally enjoy the idea

what is a thief right now…mostly assassin. stealth, burst, mobility

what does thief lack

tankiness, group support.

i could see at least one if not both of those pretty easily. but in what form?

if they keep in general theme of a thief (and i imagine they will) they are not super magic inclined, more about shadow arts and martial prowess. so i expect maybe sigils/marks/shouts type of thing.

as for a new weapon? we have sword/dagger for melee and pistol/shortbow for ranged…i can see them making a rifle option in a attempt to rival shortbow that will either fail and be pointless or create a pure ranged thief that uses rifle/shortbow.

for a melee option? im honestly not sure what they could give that would really give good flavor/mechanics. shield? for tanky option /shrug

in Thief

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

I’d rather get a 1h weapon or offhand than a rifle, just for the many possibilities of dual skill it’ll mean.

in Thief

Posted by: mompen.7952

mompen.7952

Stances are the most likely in my head. There’s a lot they could bring back from the GW1 thief if they did that:
Flashing Blades
Unseen Fury
Way of the Assassin

Physical skills could be cool if they were feats that affected foes (the opposite of tricks which affect the thief):
Shattering Assault
Temple Strike
Iron Palm

Marks if they were more like hexes from GW1 might be possible too:
Augury of Death
Mark of Insecurity
Shadow Prison

Shouts was a joke in another thread

Man, I miss those skills. <3 GW1 Assassin <3

“Thief honors their ancestors, and learn The Way of the Assassin”

Would be super fun

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

in Thief

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

Dragon Sniper:
1. Trick Snipe, Surprise Snipe
2. Rifle Bomb
3. Disable Snipe
4. Choking Gas
5. Infiltrator’s Snipe

in Thief

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

My bet is on Survival skills. But just to be safe, I’ll say that Physical skills and Stances are possible.

in Thief

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

i think i read something that all classes would be receiving group play stuff for the elite specializations.

[SA]

in Thief

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

no love for off hand swords?

i kinda want that, with with stances

in Thief

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

no love for off hand swords?

i kinda want that, with with stances

Impossible. Elementalists are getting swords.

in Thief

Posted by: Profanity.6829

Profanity.6829

Has anyone thought of a staff? Fighting style wise fighting with a staff could be simular to that of a spear / polearm… I would really be exited about that imo

http://tinyurl.com/odynog9
(Pls ignore how this ended :p)

Lorewise a staff fingthing light armored person is more a monk class, and that is quite a bit different than a thief, but still im hoping for it!

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Has anyone thought of a staff? Fighting style wise fighting with a staff could be simular to that of a spear / polearm… I would really be exited about that imo

Lorewise a staff fingthing light armored person is more a monk class, and that is quite a bit different than a thief, but still im hoping for it!

That would require new animations. Otherwise it would be a wooden hammer and that’ll look stupid.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

in Thief

Posted by: Profanity.6829

Profanity.6829

That would require new animations. Otherwise it would be a wooden hammer and that’ll look stupid.

True, but since this is an expension we will pay for you should be able to expect them to put a little effort in instead of leaving stuff as it is, because it’s the easy way to go… :P

in Thief

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

rangers are getting the staff weapon already…inb4 focus is our new offhand

[SA]

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

nah, will be rifle or torch mostlikely and some lame crap that will never replace refuge/shs

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

Trick.

Evade all attacks for 6s.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

just give me traps >_>

in Thief

Maugetarr.6823

Ok, so assuming they don’t double up on giving out new utilities, the following are out:
Shouts (Necro)
Wells (Mes)
Traps (although we already had them)(Guard)

Since we’re supposed to get new utilities (hopefully) the following are out:
Signets
Traps(repeat, I know)
Venoms
Deceptions
Tricks

Types of skills left:

AI stuff

Consecrations
Meditations

Physical
Banners
Stances

Kits
Gadgets
Turrets
Elixers

Survival
Spirits

Arcane
Cantrips
Conjures
Glyphs

Mantras
Glamours
Manipulations

Spectral
Corruptions

Stuff that could fit thematically with a thief specialization (imo):
Meditations (more like a fighting monk at that point)
Physical (explained earlier)
Stances (explained earlier)
Gadgets (we could have a hidden deadly gadget up our sleeve)
Survival (too close to tricks imo)
Conjures (-.- our new support specs while we sit at range, we make our own shadow themed bundles)
Glyphs (similar to old GW1 Assassins’ Signet of toxic shock and the like)
Mantras (similar to the monk fighting idea)
Manipulations (thematically, we could manipulate our opponents through subterfuge, more of a debuff version of deceptions. See my ideas for marks)
Marks (explained earlier)

Likely for other classes imo:
Warrior: Survival, consecrations, meditations (Wa/Mo style)
Engineer: Arcane (imbuing their devices with arcane energies), glyphs, signets, physical (implants/enhancements)
Ele(tempest): Mantras, manipulations (of elements), spectral, stances (if sword is given)
Ranger(druid): Manipulations (of nature), glyphs, arcane

Likely thief skills in order of likelihood (imo):
1) Stances (competing with tempest)
2) Manipulations (competing with ele, druid)
3) Physical (competing with engi)
4) Glyphs (competing with engi, druid)
5) Marks (not currently a utility actually)

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

(edited by Maugetarr.6823)

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Reaper got necro/war (it can’t be necro/guard), so no to thieves getting shouts or stances,also guardian got mixed with ranger so let’s eliminate utilities already used by other specializations and prof used as mixed already war,ranger,necro.

Next most likely choice is probably thief/engi not with kits but gadgets.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Reaper got necro/war (it can’t be necro/guard), so no to thieves getting shouts or stances,also guardian got mixed with ranger so let’s eliminate utilities already used by other specializations and prof used as mixed already war,ranger,necro.

Yeah that’s what I’ve noticed too, they’re recycling other class’ stuff into elite specs themed as the targeted class. It’s not really surprising, it is a lot less work to do and still yields a decent result.

So yeah:
Gadgets or something (nades?) – from engies
Shadow clones – from mesmers
“Stolen” (conjured) weapons – from ele
Stances/Trances/Meditations – from warrior (still up for grabs?)
And,
??? – from revenant

I’m guessing some other class will get something from the thief… shadowsteps? on a warrior? (lol…) maybe ele? (comes out of the ground, strikes down with the lighting, a flame bursts out of thin air, or a tornado’s in out of nowhere).

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Catchlove.2189

Catchlove.2189

My guesses are:
Brawler = Mace + Stances/Physical
Monk = Focus + Meditations
Scout/Sniper = Rifle + Survival/Gadgets

in Thief

Maugetarr.6823

Yeah that’s what I’ve noticed too, they’re recycling other class’ stuff into elite specs themed as the targeted class. It’s not really surprising, it is a lot less work to do and still yields a decent result.

So yeah:
Gadgets or something (nades?) – from engies
Shadow clones – from mesmers
“Stolen” (conjured) weapons – from ele
Stances/Trances/Meditations – from warrior (still up for grabs?)
And,
??? – from revenant

I’m guessing some other class will get something from the thief… shadowsteps? on a warrior? (lol…) maybe ele? (comes out of the ground, strikes down with the lighting, a flame bursts out of thin air, or a tornado’s in out of nowhere).

Well they said they were going to use already available skill types so that runes and stuff saw wider usage with some cool builds. I don’t really mind that they’re recycling utilities the same way they didn’t make any new weapons.

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele