Staff Animation (Fun Fact)

in Thief

Posted by: Eirdyne.9843

Eirdyne.9843

I got a Lightward staff last night.

Fun fact, the staff animations are not for staves (in the caster sense). It’s a naginata animation with a European style polearm spike on the bottom.

If you’ve been bugged by the way the staff feels too heavy in its animations it’s because the animations aren’t meant for a single weighted end. It’s for bladed weapons and bo staves. The way its held keeps the dangerous parts out away from your character.

Just a run random fact.

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Yup. Actually the staff auto attack, mainly the final twirl can only be effectively done with a Bo or any other plain staff. As someone with martial arts experience I can confirm doing the one handed twirl (which actually isn’t a twirl, it gives the illusion the staff is being spun with one hand) is extremely difficult with a weighted end. That’s why every staff in the game prior to HoT doesn’t work thematically imo

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

Thank you.
But my staffs don’t weight much because magic.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Heh, looked it up it does actually resemble it. The only thing that DOESN’T resemble is the god forsaken idle… At that point you’re wielding a hammer.

That’s why every staff in the game prior to HoT doesn’t work thematically imo

And like 95-98% of all bows in the game don’t really work… Especially the metal ones. Essentially any material that doesn’t have good elasticity (crystal ones is another example)… Never the mind the speed of the shooting sequence and the possible penetration vs (say) heavy armor… Basically, our characters are super humans and their bows defy laws of physics/elasticity.

They do have more or less proper form, drawing, anchoring (though in mid air, but at least consistently in the same place), and releasing. At least on thief shortbow. Though the way they draw their arrow from their pretend back-quivers… suggests the arrow is EVERY short, or very soft and flimsy. They don’t extend their arm up as their drawing the arrow, they just kind of take it over the shoulder. The length (in inches) of an arrow is typically the person’s wing-span divide by 2.5 (giving the archer’s draw length) plus in inch or a half for comfort- so on an average person, 28 inches is their draw length, so the arrow is about 28.5-29 inches… Basically, I dont think there’s a way to pull out a nearly 30 inch stick from the back like that. Closest thing to how they’re drawing their arrow is:

But even then, her hand/arm is a bit more up in the air when she’s pulling the arrow out. (See thumbnail for a frozen picture of her reaching for an arrow.)

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Thief

RedSpectrum.1975

Heh, looked it up it does actually resemble it. The only thing that DOESN’T resemble is the god forsaken idle… At that point you’re wielding a hammer.

And like 95-98% of all bows in the game don’t really work… Especially the metal ones. Essentially any material that doesn’t have good elasticity (crystal ones is another example)… Never the mind the speed of the shooting sequence and the possible penetration vs (say) heavy armor… Basically, our characters are super humans and their bows defy laws of physics/elasticity.

They do have more or less proper form, drawing, anchoring (though in mid air, but at least consistently in the same place), and releasing. At least on thief shortbow. Though the way they draw their arrow from their pretend back-quivers… suggests the arrow is EVERY short, or very soft and flimsy. They don’t extend their arm up as their drawing the arrow, they just kind of take it over the shoulder. The length (in inches) of an arrow is typically the person’s wing-span divide by 2.5 – so on an average person 28 inches…

And that’s ignoring the obvious fact that they are strafing, dodging, jumping etc AND shooting a bow?! Lol

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

They do have more or less proper form, drawing, anchoring (though in mid air, but at least consistently in the same place), and releasing. At least on thief shortbow. Though the way they draw their arrow from their pretend back-quivers… suggests the arrow is EVERY short, or very soft and flimsy. They don’t extend their arm up as their drawing the arrow, they just kind of take it over the shoulder. The length (in inches) of an arrow is typically the person’s wing-span divide by 2.5 – so on an average person 28 inches…

And that’s ignoring the obvious fact that they are strafing, dodging, jumping etc AND shooting a bow?! Lol

Strafing, and jumping is possible, though will decrease your accuracy (Though with practice…)… dodging … ha, you will probably break the bow (possibly impaling a limb on it), the arrows will be everywhere… basically you will look like a kitten.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

RedSpectrum.1975

Strafing, and jumping is possible, though will decrease your accuracy (Though with practice…)… dodging … ha, you will probably break the bow (possibly impaling a limb on it), the arrows will be everywhere… basically you will look like a kitten.

Oh yeah I understand movement is a thing. I was trying to get at like how you said, all that movement, in addition to using a weapon that needs quite some aiming time, while drawing the arrows and lining them up. We didn’t even touch draw weight. I know its a game but this is fun to criticize and may give me another element to beg for a thief nerf. No way they should be able to be that agile with a bow AND bounce arrows?

Also that video is a walk. I can begin the shoot animation and shadowstep and finish the shot at my new spot. Shadowstepping involves us running through the realms of shadows so you’re saying I am sprinting beyond full speed into a bow shot? Nerf teefs

(edited by RedSpectrum.1975)

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Oh yeah I understand movement is a thing. I was trying to get at like how you said, all that movement, in addition to using a weapon that needs quite some aiming time, while drawing the arrows and lining them up. We didn’t even touch draw weight. I know its a game but this is fun to criticize and may give me another element to beg for a thief nerf. No way they should be able to be that agile with a bow AND bounce arrows

This guy does it pretty well, Turkish style archery, also done on horses – there’s a bit where he jumps up and down as if he’s on a horse… It takes stupid amounts of practice… and a different draw style. In the end he walks backwards and shoots, though kind of similar the the girl in the previous post, but still he does walks a bit faster so his arms are shaking a bit more…

Yeah draw weight is another fun thing… English longbows were typically 110-120lb… Good kittening luck shooting like the rangers shoot in game, consistently and for extended periods of times.

Shameless hijacked the thread…

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Basically, I dont think there’s a way to pull out a nearly 30 inch stick from the back like that

It really depends on the type of quiver.

Attachments:

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Basically, I dont think there’s a way to pull out a nearly 30 inch stick from the back like that

It really depends on the type of quiver.

Might work, you still have it pull it out far enough that the tip isn’t in the leather part… The problem with the way that the thief pulls out an arrow is he does kind of a circular motion, that just doesn’t seem natural for a straight/line/stick thing that he’s pulling out. Like his hand is touching the shoulder while pulling the arrow out…

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

No one linked this guy for arrow shooting?

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Because he’s a trick shooter that’s spreading false kitten.

Entertaining, but false.

Well, actually, the most useful place that “style” has is in things like archery tag…

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Maugetarr.6823

Entertaining, but false.

Well, actually, the most useful place that “style” has is in things like archery tag…

Well, maybe, but he’s using that same right side of the bow technique that the Turkish technique you linked uses (visually, from someone who knows next to nothing about archery). As far as I can tell in this game, the in game ranges equate to roughly centimeters, so our 900 range is about 9 meters. At a 9 meter range, it seems that developing a technique for trick shooting/speed would be more valuable than long range shooting. (I mean our auto attack is “trick shot”)

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Entertaining, but false.

Well, maybe, but he’s using that same right side of the bow technique that the Turkish technique you linked uses (visually, from someone who knows next to nothing about archery). As far as I can tell in this game, the in game ranges equate to roughly centimeters, so our 900 range is about 9 meters. At a 9 meter range, it seems that developing a technique for trick shooting/speed would be more valuable than long range shooting. (I mean our auto attack is “trick shot”)

True. The way that the character “reloads” the arrow, though suggests the other style (the first video i posted). While it would be useful… and at 9 meters even a 35lb is deadly enough…. doing what he’s doing with +60, or 110lb… just isn’t really possible without tiring yourself out at the very least (great, you shot 3 arrows fast, your arms are dead tired, can’t shoot anymore ;P ). Like he even tries to compare his style to the english longbow archers… who, volleyed arrows without aiming much – being kind of like an artillery for the army.

for horse back archery the turkish guy does it well. they also use thumb-rings (you can notice it in the video), and their style was developed for riding horses…

Claiming that his style (Lars’) is the one-and-only, the all-mighty be-all-end-all, is foolish, since every different style of archery evolved into what they are to meet certain conditions. Take for instance olympic style, they shoot at ~70 meters with about 50lb bows… the whole point for them is to be accurate and hit the 10/bull’s eye (which from 70 meters is the size of a needle point – or something you can hardly see) rather than shooting fast… They’re like “snipers” if you will.

It’s also funny…

The week that Lars released his 2nd video, and got a crap ton of views, was the week that the first man in history set the record of scoring 300 points (might be higher, basically it was a perfect score, 100% bull’s-eyes, 70 meters i believe) in an archery tournament. Meaning, scoring 10/bull’s-eye on all his shots. FIRST MAN IN HISTORY… Lars get’s more views/more popular/more known …

Basically, he’s the troll in the archery community, and the only contribution he has done is attract more people to archery – which then get curb-stomped by reality – since newbies picking up a bow and wanting to shoot like him… yeah…

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

I watched this movie called War of Arrows and the main guy does a lot of tactical kitten with his bow that makes Legolas looks like an amateur.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

I watched this movie called War of Arrows and the main guy does a lot of tactical kitten with his bow that makes Legolas looks like an amateur.

That movie is the ship!
Although I know simply as “Arrow”.

in Thief

Maugetarr.6823

Entertaining, but false.

True. The way that the character “reloads” the arrow, though suggests the other style (the first video i posted). While it would be useful… and at 9 meters even a 35lb is deadly enough…. doing what he’s doing with +60, or 110lb… just isn’t really possible without tiring yourself out at the very least (great, you shot 3 arrows fast, your arms are dead tired, can’t shoot anymore ;P ). Like he even tries to compare his style to the english longbow archers… who, volleyed arrows without aiming much – being kind of like an artillery for the army.

for horse back archery the turkish guy does it well. they also use thumb-rings (you can notice it in the video), and their style was developed for riding horses…

Claiming that his style (Lars’) is the one-and-only, the all-mighty be-all-end-all, is foolish, since every different style of archery evolved into what they are to meet certain conditions. Take for instance olympic style, they shoot at ~70 meters with about 50lb bows… the whole point for them is to be accurate and hit the 10/bull’s eye (which from 70 meters is the size of a needle point – or something you can hardly see) rather than shooting fast… They’re like “snipers” if you will.

It’s also funny…

The week that Lars released his 2nd video, and got a crap ton of views, was the week that the first man in history set the record of scoring 300 points (might be higher, basically it was a perfect score, 100% bull’s-eyes, 70 meters i believe) in an archery tournament. Meaning, scoring 10/bull’s-eye on all his shots. FIRST MAN IN HISTORY… Lars get’s more views/more popular/more known …

Basically, he’s the troll in the archery community, and the only contribution he has done is attract more people to archery – which then get curb-stomped by reality – since newbies picking up a bow and wanting to shoot like him… yeah…

Fair enough. Like I said, I know nothing about archery really, but I knew about this video with a guy running and jumping and hitting targets that are at a 20-30 foot range, which just reminded me of thieves dodge rolling and hitting targets at 900 units.

As for the technique thing, there’s rarely 1 absolutely correct way to do anything especially when using different hardware from different cultures, so yeah, I’m leary of that. I guess it’s like saying the only way to shoot a gun is with a handgun technique which would certainly be awkward for shoot a rifle.

It’s just the first thing that came to mind and the closest to dynamic archery that you’d see in a fantasy game (that I’ve seen). I’ll leave actual archery discussion to people that know it though.

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Fair enough. Like I said, I know nothing about archery really, but I knew about this video with a guy running and jumping and hitting targets that are at a 20-30 foot range, which just reminded me of thieves dodge rolling and hitting targets at 900 units.

As for the technique thing, there’s rarely 1 absolutely correct way to do anything especially when using different hardware from different cultures, so yeah, I’m leary of that. I guess it’s like saying the only way to shoot a gun is with a handgun technique which would certainly be awkward for shoot a rifle.

It’s just the first thing that came to mind and the closest to dynamic archery that you’d see in a fantasy game (that I’ve seen). I’ll leave actual archery discussion to people that know it though.

His style is really all about the way he reloads… as in holds, draws, and nocks (using modified “phillips screw” nocks (like his nocks are X while typical ones are just | )) the arrows, and of course on which side of the bow – allowing to “slap-on” the arrow. Perfecting his style of reloading you could achieve faster shooting speeds (what for?)…

Granted that our characters are super-humans, the way they draw the arrow, is nothing like Lars – thieves draw from their pretend back-quivers, which Lars rips on.

The dynamic aspect in his videos is kind of an additional thing to his style – reloading/fast shooting – the running and jumping around is part of the entertainment that makes his style look cool despite not having anything to do with his style… Like pretty sure the Turkish guy i linked before could jump and run around like an idiot if he wanted to… Just he’s demonstrating a style, not so much entertaining people

The dynamic component to the game, is just that we’re engaging in close quarters with a bow and need some mobility… so the characters are doing whatever the kitten they need to do to stay alive – including dodge rolling…

Which kind of goes back to… why are you in engaging in close quarters with a ranged weapon – are you trying to get yourself killed? Pretty sure archers in the military were still armed with a sword in case kitten got close and personal…

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

RedSpectrum.1975

Time to make a sword wielding shortbow build now, that hasn’t been done yet, might even use a dagger for offhand

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Time to make a sword wielding shortbow build now, that hasn’t been done yet, might even use a dagger for offhand

… why?

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

RedSpectrum.1975

… why?

In honor of proper archery, and so I can be a unique snowflake since no one has ever made a sword dagger shortbow build

in Thief

Posted by: Diederick.7906

Diederick.7906

I use this staff, that could work right?

Attachments:

in Thief

RedSpectrum.1975

I use this staff, that could work right?

I think that was one of the newer stave skins they added solely because they saw the original skins were far too impractical…in short, most likely

in Thief

Posted by: Shadow.1345

Shadow.1345

^ That should sum it up.