Staff Daredevil PVP

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: BlackBunny.3681

BlackBunny.3681

How is everybody feeling about it? at the moment im enjoying the spec but compared to other specs is really lacks purpose in a group. Aswel as that i think for sush a high mobility squishy spec with no stealth the damage is just next to nothing compared to other classes/specs. What you guys think? Also the AOE from volt/5 could be a bit bigger.

(edited by BlackBunny.3681)

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

I just don’t see Staff ever being a good PvP weapon, and it’s probably fine that way. It’s an excellent pve weapon so atleast it has a spot.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: Luranni.9470

Luranni.9470

I really want to make the staff work in PvP but as mentioned elsewhere it is really lacking. Its only CC is via stealth which obviously it has no inherent access to. I tried a lot of builds around it and without SA and stealth utilities you have no means to support your team with anything.

So yeah, staff worked ok as long as I went into SA and used BP and SR, which to me is completely counterproductive to the idea of it – but at least I could help my teammates with resses and such.

I’d like to see some more utility on the staff itself – not the traits! It needs something in the way of boons (stability, resistance, protection) in order to give non-stealth sustain, also an AoE knockback (short range, not mega punt) for defensive team utility (this could flat out replace #3 with a higher ini cost, I’d happily swap another evade for more team support). Aaaaaand I’m in the camp of a Dark field on Dusk Strike for some lovely combos.

It’s a shame really, because it is a lot of fun

Luranni
Perish [FLEE]
Gandara

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: livlaender.8790

livlaender.8790

hello,

instead of playing with marauder amu try to play with a defensive amu like soldiers and daredevil runes (6th effect: your next attack after a dodge will crit)

in my opinion daredevil isnt a dps specc, but a tanky specc and with all those evades and the physical heal with trait you can dodge 24/7 on the node, while doing dps (dodge dps trait ^^)

die Gedanken sind frei

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

I’m trying a CC staff build as well. A mesmer just welled at me because he had a 4 sec stun, which I doubt he had. I have a huge acces to stealth in this build. and spam vault is a quick burst with decent dammage.

for the runes and sigils, there must be something better !

Edit : +1 for the soldier rune

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQJAWVnsMBlPhNmCmOBkmilhCzbIEEOCcBgFQFY++FALgA-TpBFwACOEAk2fwaZACPAgFHBAAXAAA

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: tjjoris.8401

tjjoris.8401

staff is fine. I don’t really feel underpowered or overpowered. i pretty much perma evade with acrobatics and trickery, i like to do arc and bound for my dps but vault and dash is quite viable too. Its a different kind of playstyle and i love it! everything i’ve ever wanted in a classes. The last thing i wasnt to see is some major changes that would kitten it up.

also I run marauders with my evasion build, i’m sure with tankier stats you could evade less and drop acrobatics for more damage.

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: FleetFox.9528

FleetFox.9528

Hey everyone, thought I would chime in. I’ve been testing a staff pvp build and have had decent success. I use signet of Malice and the skill that gives health on crit. The staff does quick damage and helps the thief stay alive longer. It works better sometimes against groups because the incoming health from signet of malice and the health on crit.

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: Hitsuke.5304

Hitsuke.5304

I like it in WvW at least, which is some measure as to what it’s like in a PvP scenario. Sure, it lacks CC, but it has some other great utility. All 5 skills offer great mobility and utility and you can tie an opponent in knots. If you spec into high endurance regen through food and vigor you can dodge like crazy, and I’ve just made a Druid & DH angry by humiliating them in a 2v1 outside Mendons. So angry that they group invited me and offered me a 2v1 rematch lol.

Had some VERY good duels on EB with Scrappers, D/P thieves, Mesmers and Guardians… all without stealthing every 5 seconds. It just feels very agile and is great fun to play imho.

Reminds me of playing this guy on Soul Calibur!

Attachments:

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

From what I’ve read so far, there is no problem with the staff rather there’s a problem with the build.

Why would you spec SA in PvP, ever?
And Why would you spec SA using staff?

Those are the biggest problem here. If you want to run those builds, use another weapon set complimentary to the build — and not trying to fit staff into a stealth build and complain about how it doesn’t workout very well.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: blarghhrrkblah.3412

blarghhrrkblah.3412

So, I have spent the last while testing staff in PvP and 1v1s. I was able to consistently beat Reapers and Revenants (takes too long to kill -> not worth fighting 1v1 in normal games), but consistently lost against Dragonhunters. I only fought one staff Tempest but I basically lost every fight due to stunlocking (threw cc on himself so I couldn’t get in any hits while he ranged me + Tempest Defense when I stole to him T-T). Ended up switching to S/d for the Tempest but I still lost 8/10 (maybe I’m just bad).

I feel like Staff is in a decent place as it is (could use more utility/mobility imo), and most of my losses were due to not knowing how to fight the other player and/or being countered (and me messing up ofc). I definitely understand the frustration with dealing with other classes’ passive defense procs now as well (Tempest Defense, RotGD passive proc, auto-Shroud, etc).

I suppose it’s also worth noting that I would never fight any of these classes 1v1 in normal games as it takes far too long to kill any of them, and I would probably die if I stayed on point to contest.

Edit: I also wanted to add that IMO S/d still trumps Staff due to greater versatility.

(edited by blarghhrrkblah.3412)

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

after testing trap staff, crit staff , SA staff my build that works best is just raw dmg and hardly the stealth AA kd.

i will post my build in other thread so ppl can comment (its like the s/d almost with few twicks)

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: alicatrawz.9567

alicatrawz.9567

staff is OKAY in pvp, i found myself taking s/d staff in with pretty much all new skills, nice sustain as long as you have help.

Its pretty good in wvw as a roamer… if you actually ever find anyone..

Still not as good kitten, but i guess its just what we are so used to.

gravity is my arch-nemesis.

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Was playing da (mug, panic strike, exe) dd, (weakling trait, Condi removal on dodge and dash) and trickery (torc, trickster, soh) using withdraw and the new elite. I was happy with the results. Surprisingly, an s/d thief was a bigger threat then a d/p thief. Only played solo unranked in strong hold with staff and shortbow. Which I felt that staff or even s/d is a much better map for thoughs weapon sets.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: CptnDrunk.8361

CptnDrunk.8361

Maybe adding a smoke field to the staff 4. Similar size to tempest war horn 5 .

Tone Deaf [TUNE] | Yaks Bend
Doctor Love – Mesmer
Captain Awesome – Warrior

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: azmodey.4576

azmodey.4576

I have tested SA, DD, Tr to get a taste of the new weapon and traits
Each 20 secs I have KD, in between, I do damage with staff 2 and bound dodge.
it is not bad but not great and boring !
Also it was the more efficient for me.

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

I have tested SA, DD, Tr to get a taste of the new weapon and traits
Each 20 secs I have KD, in between, I do damage with staff 2 and bound dodge.
it is not bad but not great and boring !
Also it was the more efficient for me.

so you take SA and lost your dmg trait like DA or CS just to have stealth every 20 sec for just 1 kd which can blocked evade?!

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: Bohab.7825

Bohab.7825

Having much success running Daredevil in sPvP.

Marauder + Rune of Durability (Not listed on gw2skills.net)

75% Crit Chance (with Fury, which is up nearly 100% of the time), 200% Crit Damage, 2k base Power, Fire + Air procs on weapons, potential 42% bonus damage above 90%.

18.5k HP, 1175 Toughness, 15% heals from Crits, 25% Boon duration. Know when to evade! Many of your skills Evade… use them wisely. Bandits Defense… one of your bread and butter skills. Available for use every 12 seconds! Block + Knockdown?! No wai!

Your goal is knockdowns… when they are on the ground you Vault them! Knock them down again… Vault… when they are ressing a teammate… Vault! Don’t chase people around trying to Vault, you will miss every time.

Make sure you time your Impact Strike elite perfectly so to stomp them INSTANTLY when they go down. Personally I like to Fist Flurry (CC) them first and combine it with an instant Impact Strike.

Don’t under use Steal (Daze up every 20 seconds) and the skills you obtain from your opponents. They are far from useless.

Daredevil is played very frantically! Act fast and know your opponent. Understand if they are a glass cannon or a tanky build…

Infiltrators Arrow + Shadow Step + 100% Swiftness… you’re able to cross maps to nodes at your leisure. If you’re about to get zerged, bail out!

Personally I went from struggling with 1v1s on Thief to full confidence with Daredevil. Very fun!

Practice your burst on the beasts in Heart of the Mists… practice makes perfect!

Here is the build I use… but like mentioned, the Durability Runes are not listed on this site.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQJAWVn8lCFmiVmCmOBkmilxiybACgDYbDLrbbe379jH-TJBFABCcFAEvMQI7PAwjAAA

Good luck!

Tavanyl

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: Terimac.5871

Terimac.5871

Staff is the only reason i play daredevil/thief. I find every other melee weaponset for thief extremely boring and i don’t like the stealth gameplay that comes with those weaponsets.

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: FeelsAlright.5860

FeelsAlright.5860

My problems with staff is that I get easily ranged, and don’t really have any defensive options other than burning my dodges. I would have liked staff to have been a defensive weapon, blocks/reflects and then use my utilites (fist flurry, new elite, daggers etc) to be offensive.

I sort of wish we would have just gotten the revenant staff…

Vipassana

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: Terimac.5871

Terimac.5871

My problems with staff is that I get easily ranged, and don’t really have any defensive options other than burning my dodges. I would have liked staff to have been a defensive weapon, blocks/reflects and then use my utilites (fist flurry, new elite, daggers etc) to be offensive.

I sort of wish we would have just gotten the revenant staff…

Revs staff #3 would be awesome and add a smoke field to our staff #4. That would be awesome.

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: Khazik.8052

Khazik.8052

IDK I’ve been using Trick/DA/DD with staff, using Withdraw/Channeled Vigor, RFI, SoA, Fist Flurry, and Impact strike and have had some pretty good success in hotjoin and unranked.

I use pack runes & dash, with brawlers & staff master traits. I steal (daze) matrix punch > stun (if all land which they usually do). At this point they’re usually sub 50% in which I vault. They pop defensive CD’s as an “OH S*#!” response and I dash around them dodging most their crap until fist flurry is up, get in and finish the job.

Staff for me is a “hit hard and fast” very aggressive play style. With enough crits you can take someone down in about 2sec.

“No valid path to target” – Thief life (Dragonbrand)

Staff Daredevil PVP

in Thief

Posted by: Runewolf.8456

Runewolf.8456

been playing with it for a while, works fine you just need d/p as an off kit unless your playing soldier/sentinel thief.