Staff holding animation

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Bojoo.7819

Bojoo.7819

Right now Daredevils use hammer holding animation. Could we get Monkey king staff holding animation?

This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGZmauye5Is

Also his wiggle while holding it is amazing.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Vilkata.4725

Vilkata.4725

Yes, so many of the staff animations were taken directly from hammer animations. Carrying around this thin staff like it’s a heavy hammer makes the daredevil seem frail.

Leader of The Quiddity [Quid]
Everything is a Nemesis plot.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Blackmentos.3652

Blackmentos.3652

Totally support this! Please give us the Monkey staff stance.

[PH] Valahom/ Deethon/ Varahom

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Arkantos.7460

Arkantos.7460

yes, because we have NO OTHER PROBLEMS with our class ^^

Good Thiefs are average,
Skilled Thiefs are dangerous

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Bojoo.7819

While on subject of monkey king, I really wouldn’t mind having his outfit in gem store. His weapon skin too. Animation and skin assets are already there.

yes, because we have NO OTHER PROBLEMS with our class ^^

HEY! Baby steps now!

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

I really do think that the monkey king animation should be the staff specific stance animation, even for the revenant… and future elite specializations that may end up with a melee staff too.

Even if it may take some times for it to happen, I really wish working on that animation can be fit in their schedule

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Karendun.5892

Karendun.5892

+1 I support this idea! The Monkey King animation is better than the Hammer one…

Consider this idea ANET!

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: fFamous.8720

fFamous.8720

agree, want to post it too, but you do it first anet, do it please, without this animation it’s dont looking good ;(

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

+1, I’d love to see this.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Kyrion.2749

Kyrion.2749

Recycling so many animations from hammer was… lazy…

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: sam.4681

sam.4681

+1 i would like to see the animation of monkey king holding staff into daredevil and F1 Steal please get some new animation as well because all of the classes elite specialization have their own new animation of the F1 skill so i guess Steal GET A NEW ANIMATION PLEASEE

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: fluffdragon.1523

fluffdragon.1523

Agreed, however I’m sure there will be a response of:

Well, seeing as the range was 130 units, which exactly matches a one-handed weapon, we thought it’d be best to hold it in the center like it were this really big, hefty thing. Since, you know, you’re only using half of it.

Not to mention Monkey King’s animation would totally require it to at least meet a 2-hand weapon’s range increment of about 150u.

Edit: turns out that everything BUT the ranger’s Greatsword uses 130u radius attacks, even two-handers! Apparently I misread something a while back when I thought they were 150u range.

(No, seriously … I am really unimpressed with the default attack animations. That, and the final whirl could have totally been a circular 5 target strike similar to the warrior’s hammer attack pattern!)

(edited by fluffdragon.1523)

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Leviathan.6327

Leviathan.6327

I 500% agree with this thread. As much as I was impressed by the actual skills for the Daredevil, the animations left me feeling rather disappointed (not just the battle stance). I was watching the POI with my brother and as they were showcasing each skill we both kept thinking, “Really? They just recycled the hammer animation?” Actually, we were thinking that from the moment we saw that their battle stance used the hammer animation. I mean really, who the hell holds a bo staff like that? It hardly looks like the thief character even knows how to wield one, like they just kinda picked up a stick off the ground and are thinking, “Ima beat some fools with this thing!” Funny, but not very cool. In fact, isn’t that the animation when you actually pick up a stick or a shovel off of the ground (which is just the hammer anim anyway)?

Of course, this doesn’t diffuse my hype for this elite spec. It still looks like it’ll be very fun to use and I’m still very excited to see how it plays. And some of the anims do look cool, like the vault skill (although I wish the leaping dodge trait didn’t just recycle the vault skill, at least that’s what it looks like). But at the same time, I wish they put a bit more effort into making it look unique, you know?

So maybe we can help give Anet some ideas for what a bo staff stance ACTUALLY looks like…

Attachments:

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Pukc.6328

Pukc.6328

Agreed. Monkey King is awesome

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

+1 as well from me. The moment staff was confirmed I had a feeling they’d just recycle most of the hammer animations despite how good thieves would look with the Monkey King animations (stance, running, jumping, etc). The hammer just… doesn’t look like the proper way to hold a bo staff… like, at all. The hammer is a large heavy weapon whereas the bo staff is lightweight and nimble, the two shouldn’t share stance animations.

I know it’s not as simple as copy/paste the Monkey King animations onto the player, but I would’ve thought that there’d be a little more attention to detail in the animations given that this is a brand new way to fight with staves.

I really have to try it out for myself next week. It looks like tons of fun, but I can’t help but feel that some of the animations are lacking due to recycling animations.

As I’ve said a number of times already, staff looks awesome, but it needs more Monkey King. Or at least less hammer animations. Think Kilik from Soul Calibur (like what Leviathan posted above me).

Attachments:

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Pukc.6328

I’ll add that Monkey King is a trickster and Thief is a trickster. So it fits thematically with the class.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Leviathan.6327

Leviathan.6327

I’ll add that Monkey King is a trickster and Thief is a trickster. So it fits thematically with the class.

Exactly! The animations don’t have to look like 100% proper martial arts movements, and I think the monkey king would give it a nice (as you put it) trickster feel to it. Very suitable for a thief.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

I would love to see some new animations for DD, but let’s be honest… the expansion is less than two months away. Unless it’s a good preexisting animation, you shouldn’t expect any animation changes.

If we have to have recycled animations, though, I’d like to see more Monkey King elixir ones. Those generally look cooler than most profession’s staff animations.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Seabreeze.8437

I would love to see some new animations for DD, but let’s be honest… the expansion is less than two months away. Unless it’s a good preexisting animation, you shouldn’t expect any animation changes.

If we have to have recycled animations, though, I’d like to see more Monkey King elixir ones. Those generally look cooler than most profession’s staff animations.

I hear ya, but hopefully this could be the exception given how much feedback people have been giving on the animations alone. I definitely agree with everyone saying that the Monkey King animations would be better suited for the daredevil.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Nivik.2961

Nivik.2961

+1
I love this idea. Please push this

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Right now Daredevils use hammer holding animation. Could we get Monkey king staff holding animation?

This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGZmauye5Is

Also his wiggle while holding it is amazing.

Well, they have the animation already so why not? But then again it might make us too awesome if they did that. Warriors would lose some of their spotlight. Such a dilemma. :O

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

I’d prefer the Assassin run animation from GW1 while wielding Staff, but Monkey King is definitely better than holding it like a hammer.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

for me, I’d like to see finishing blow use the animation from warrior’s Stomp skill. they’re both physicals with similar casts, but stomp is a physical-looking, hard-hitting stomp, which fits the description of Finishing Blow perfectly.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Saddast.7538

Saddast.7538

As everyone, id love to see a more monkey king like animation, it would look AWESOME

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Magnito.6187

Magnito.6187

I hope this thread gets more attention,
because you’re absolutely frigging right!
I was so dissapointed watching twitch,
seeing that they were holding it like a hammer.
It’s a ninja-like staff for Gods sake, have you ever
seen a ninja holding a staff like that?

+1. No, +100000
+… Much more.

Bai.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Ice.5162

Ice.5162

+1, I’d love to see this.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

The animations would have to be made from scratch though (atleast for Asura and Charr).
The bonestructure that was/is used for the Monkey King are quite different from the bonestructure used by player models (not to mention issues in size variations).

It seems similar to the standard Human/Sylvari stucture, but I fear this is a much bigger task than you would think.
I’d rather have them spend that time on more pressing matters.

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

isn’t that the way asura hold greatswords ?

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

I agree, the hammer animation i assume was just a placeholder because it is a really awkward hold for a thief. We gotta look cool while we cause people’s hearts to explode in pvp.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Pukc.6328

isn’t that the way asura hold greatswords ?

With greatsword and hammer when running.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Gabriell.4856

Gabriell.4856

No Monkey King No Buy HOT

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Seabreeze.8437

No Monkey King No Buy HOT

Lol, well I wouldn’t go that far, but Monkey King animations would be sweet!

The animations would have to be made from scratch though (atleast for Asura and Charr).
The bonestructure that was/is used for the Monkey King are quite different from the bonestructure used by player models (not to mention issues in size variations).

It seems similar to the standard Human/Sylvari stucture, but I fear this is a much bigger task than you would think.
I’d rather have them spend that time on more pressing matters.

Given that this is an entirely brand new way to fight with an existing weapon, I would’ve thought that a slew of new, fluid and dynamic animations would be part of the package rather than just oddly recycled hammer animations which, as a weapon, is worlds different from a bo staff.

Yes, balancing and numbers are priority, but aesthetics are important too and deserve attention when it is needed.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Amante.8109

Given that this is an entirely brand new way to fight with an existing weapon, I would’ve thought that a slew of new, fluid and dynamic animations would be part of the package rather than just oddly recycled hammer animations which, as a weapon, is worlds different from a bo staff.

In a perfect world, perhaps. Realistically, someone like Karl is given less than a month to come up with an “elite specialization” for a class they barely play. I’m not putting this on Karl, this is just the reality of modern games development—MMOs even more so.

All of this amounts to stuff slipping through the cracks, whether it’s the little things like new Staff animations, or big stuff like much needed skill/trait revamps.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Seabreeze.8437

In a perfect world, perhaps. Realistically, someone like Karl is given less than a month to come up with an “elite specialization” for a class they barely play. I’m not putting this on Karl, this is just the reality of modern games development—MMOs even more so.

All of this amounts to stuff slipping through the cracks, whether it’s the little things like new Staff animations, or big stuff like much needed skill/trait revamps.

I get what you’re saying, Amante, but you’re implying that Karl is the sole developer of the entirety of the daredevil. I doubt that he’s the only one that handles everything from concept to programming to animation to balancing and so forth (that sounds like too much power for one person, actually). I’m not going to pretend to know how Anet divides their development team, but I would think that it’s a team of people that works on things like this, not just one single person. Anet isn’t as huge as, say, Blizzard, but I don’t think it’s all that tiny either.

Even if stuff slips through the cracks, I would hope that there is still a chance for certain revisions to be made, if not now then later on. As others have stated, some of the animations admittedly look like placeholders rather than a finished package.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Magnito.6187

Magnito.6187

I will not rest my case untill we get a reply.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Kentsui.4930

Kentsui.4930

We don’t necessarily need the Monkey-king animation, but yes something has to be done about some of those animations.
The re-used hammer animation stand-out like a sore-thumb, be it on the Revenant, or the Daredevil.

with the Daredevil, the issue is that when the character moves around with the weapon in hand it feels like it walks in slow-motion, and makes the weapon feel extremely heavy, then when skills are activated, it suddently feels like the staff doesn’t weigh anything anymore and that the character suddently activated super-speed.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Bojoo.7819

Was joking about he’s whole body animation, I understand ti would need revamp for charrs and asuras. But the was he is holding staff. It’s perfection.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

+1 to this for a little flavor.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

From the reveal pics it looked to me like Asuras are wielding it that way, so I guess time to reroll?

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Kui.7245

Kui.7245

This recycle hammer holding aimation stinks for a staff…

+1 for the monkey tonic holding

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

I 500% agree with this thread. As much as I was impressed by the actual skills for the Daredevil, the animations left me feeling rather disappointed (not just the battle stance). I was watching the POI with my brother and as they were showcasing each skill we both kept thinking, “Really? They just recycled the hammer animation?” Actually, we were thinking that from the moment we saw that their battle stance used the hammer animation. I mean really, who the hell holds a bo staff like that? It hardly looks like the thief character even knows how to wield one, like they just kinda picked up a stick off the ground and are thinking, “Ima beat some fools with this thing!” Funny, but not very cool. In fact, isn’t that the animation when you actually pick up a stick or a shovel off of the ground (which is just the hammer anim anyway)?

Of course, this doesn’t diffuse my hype for this elite spec. It still looks like it’ll be very fun to use and I’m still very excited to see how it plays. And some of the anims do look cool, like the vault skill (although I wish the leaping dodge trait didn’t just recycle the vault skill, at least that’s what it looks like). But at the same time, I wish they put a bit more effort into making it look unique, you know?

So maybe we can help give Anet some ideas for what a bo staff stance ACTUALLY looks like…

This is how a bo stance should look like, not recycled hammer stance animation which frankly looks bizzare. The monkey stance thing would be better too. But I kinda doubt they will do anything since that will cost time and resources which simply is not going to happen I guess. :\

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Zera.8907

Zera.8907

/Signed. Please implement this and thanks.

Blackgate: Zera Mithrandir- Reaper| Zera Targaryen-Mes|Zera Naharis – Ranger|

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Blackmentos.3652

Blackmentos.3652

Please implement this Anet. The hammer stance really kills the vibe for the Daredevil.

[PH] Valahom/ Deethon/ Varahom

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Sarrow.2785

Sarrow.2785

/signed. Holding animation is kitten

Admiral Mournn, Tarnished Coast

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

Your Revenant sisters and brothers back our thief staff brethren fully in this regard! Our cause has the same origins, the accursed hammer idle, ready stance, walk and runs. Let us unite and make our voices heard… and so on… but mostly hope!

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Kui.7245

Kui.7245

bump.. how hard can this be? Idle/walking animations are already created for the monkey tonic, just swap them.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

so i was w8ing to reply to this..cause while i was ok with human animation. i didnt know how asura would look.

….well….i know now..

all i can say is….wtf happened to my asura’s neck.

the auto attack chain makes the asura swing their head around as if they dont have a spine. its like bobble heads….

so yeah…need new animations. i’m debating going back to reaper after seeing how bad the animation is.

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Besides, don’t asura hold greatswords the same way? It’s not like it hasn’t been done

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Posted by: Xeyon.6419

Xeyon.6419

Yeah I don’t understand why none of the monkey king’s animations were used. Like kitten he has flip based dodge animations that have different animations for each direction as well as jump dodges. None of our new dodges have any directional difference on how you dodge (dodging backwards you will turn around flip forward then turn back around on landing, just silly), let alone actual jump dodge animations.

As far as the staff hold animation, yeah anything would be way better than what we have now. We don’t even have an interesting idle animation for most races.

Staff holding animation

in Thief

Amante.8109

I seem to recall hearing something about Monkey King being based on the Asura’s skeletal rig, so maybe that’s why only those two have that stance?