Staff or Rifle?

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: MunkeeBreath.9165

MunkeeBreath.9165

Just as the title asks. Which would you prefer at this point?

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Sandrox.9524

Sandrox.9524

OH sword no doubt

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Staff, as long as it’s melee oriented.

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: supa suop.8026

supa suop.8026

TBH I just want this kitten Specialization to be revealed already so we can put these kittening threads (no offense to you and your thread OP) to rest.

Don’t get me wrong here, I have enjoyed some discussions that has been talked about this topic, but more often then not they always turn in to shouting matches. And at this point I think we have beaten the horse with to death with our Rifle butts/staves for too long.

But… mini rant aside, to answer your question I would prefer the thief to get a staff. If we do, Great! If we don’t, also Great! At least i’m getting something new to try out.

[SoS] PvX Thief,
The world could use more S/x Thief
FIST FLURRY! ORA!!

(edited by supa suop.8026)

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Seabreeze.8437

TBH I just want this kitten Specialization to be revealed already so we can put these kittening threads (no offense to you and your thread OP) to rest

Don’t get me wrong here, I have enjoyed some discussions that has been talked about this topic, but more often then not they always turn in to shouting matches. And at this point I think we have beaten the horse with to death with our Rifle butts/staves for too long.

But… mini rant aside, to answer your question I would prefer the thief to get a staff. If we do Great! If we don’t also Great! At least i’m getting something new to try out.

+1 Well said. I agree on every level.

(edited by Seabreeze.8437)

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Not mace.
Not torch.

That’s pretty much it

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: sebradle.7034

sebradle.7034

Need to stop making staff vs rifle threads and start presenting sacrifices so anet will present us with a thief elite reveal on monday.

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Barab.9016

Barab.9016

Staff, long range attacks are boring and typically not challenging Which maybe explains why some prefer rifle.

Kurthos “When Jade Quarry awakens, they will ask themselves, when were we ever asleep?”

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Orcinus Orca.8627

Orcinus Orca.8627

Melee staff. /15chars

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Tyr.6097

Tyr.6097

Rifle. I don’t need another melee option with a weapon that i don’t like in any mmo.

Tyrs Klinge ~Thief~

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Really hope its Rifle

aka. “The Complainer”

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

Just as the title asks. Which would you prefer at this point?

Or greatsword?

Just another noob thief…

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Would rather rifle because thief needs a long ranged weapon.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Kocoff.7582

Kocoff.7582

Staff. we don’t need 1200 range. let’s keep it up close and personal, this time with a metal stick.

Why is it such an issue to be the only class not to have access to long range weapon? We got all these teleports to facilitate the assassination, no need to shoot people from far with a snipe.

Staff is the solution.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

rifle!
cause we don’t have a 1200 range weapon!

staff is bleh cause we have 2 epic melee weapons. adding a 3rd kills the appeal as why would we need it…we have 2 already epic melee weapons.

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

yolo swaggins.2570

Staff. we don’t need 1200 range. let’s keep it up close and personal, this time with a metal stick.

Why is it such an issue to be the only class not to have access to long range weapon? We got all these teleports to facilitate the assassination, no need to shoot people from far with a snipe.

Staff is the solution.

Because staff would be redundant. Why do we need another dps set when we got d/d? Why do we need another CC weapon when we got s/p? Why do we need another chasing weapon when we got d/p? You see where I am going with this?

Staff would be as useful as dead players during a world boss.

Liaison for [Teef]

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Seabreeze.8437

Staff is the solution.

Because staff would be redundant. Why do we need another dps set when we got d/d? Why do we need another CC weapon when we got s/p? Why do we need another chasing weapon when we got d/p? You see where I am going with this?

Staff would be as useful as dead players during a world boss.

I’d like a ground-target AoE vault like engie’s rifle blast jump, perhaps dazing targets within the landing impact. A targetable leap finisher would be a nice alternative to heartseeker. There’s also some cool underwater skills for the spear that might translate well on land like Nine-Tailed Strike and Shadow Assault. This is just off the top of my head, though. Melee staff has the potential to be a really flashy, acrobatic fighting style.

And dude, why can’t we have options? Aren’t axe and greatsword warriors both dps (I don’t play warrior much so forgive me if I’m wrong)? Why must we have only one weapon per role? I’d play dps melee staff if I found it more fun than d/d thief, because… well, I play for fun. What a concept, huh?

I just don’t understand the notion that thieves absolutely positively neeeeeeeeeed a 1200 range weapon. I can kinda see a need for it in PvE, sure, but in competitive modes, given their abundant disengage options, a thief popping you at max range would be utterly impossible to catch. You take one look at him and poof he’s gone.

It’s not that I don’t want a rifle spec, it’s just that I’d prefer a melee staff right now. Eventually, I would hope that we get a future spec that not only gives us access to a rifle, but also improves all firearms for the class and brings dual pistols to a level that can be fun and highly effective. That’s what I want most out of a rifle spec, honestly: support for dual pistols. I don’t want new weapons to replace weapons they’ve ignored. I want Anet to address the weapons that need the help first and foremost.

I guess that’s where we differ, yolo. Regardless of my personal preference to melee staff, I wouldn’t mind seeing either weapon make it in, as more options offer more styles, even if there’s some overlapping. I’m sure whichever one thieves don’t get, we’ll eventually get it in a future spec. But the idea of a melee staff seems to personally offend you (and other rifle enthusiasts) in such a way that you can’t possibly accept that other people might actually find a weapon like that fun. (shrugs)

In any case, the thief elite spec had better be next in line so we can put an end to these round-about forum arguments.

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

yolo swaggins.2570

Filling roles we lack in is better than adding onto what we already have so the thief can expand their roles in combat.

Liaison for [Teef]

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

sebradle.7034

Filling roles we lack in is better than adding onto what we already have so the thief can expand their roles in combat.

Well according to a lot people around here the only role we need to fill is our 1200 range need. I guess every thief elite spec afterwards is gonna have to be redundant.

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: alicatrawz.9567

alicatrawz.9567

to make all our wepsets viable again.

gravity is my arch-nemesis.

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Tyr.6097

Why is it such an issue to be the only class not to have access to long range weapon?

Why is it not an issue that all other classes have long range options?

Tyrs Klinge ~Thief~

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

sebradle.7034

Everyone here does know that elite specs are suppose to provide variety and not be magic class fixing band-aids. Look at the reaper for instance it no where near fixes the necromancer’s major issues but provides a new play style. If you wanna specialize in a slow walking monstrosity you should spec in reaper.

If we so badly need a rifle to fix our class then I guess the second elite spec released after the rifle elite spec is just gonna be absolutely trash and unused. Elite specs are not band-aid’s you are specializing in a new play-style hence the new profession icons we are gonna get with each elite specialization.

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

The only role a 1200 range weapon fills that a 900 range weapon doesn’t is WvW zerg poking :o

(edited by stof.9341)

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Tyr.6097

Look at the reaper for instance it no where near fixes the necromancer’s major issues but provides a new play style.

Necro has limited access on serious 3 – 5 target cleave aoe weapon wise.

Tyrs Klinge ~Thief~

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

sebradle.7034

Look at the reaper for instance it no where near fixes the necromancer’s major issues but provides a new play style.

Necro has limited access on serious 3 – 5 target cleave aoe weapon wise.

If you think that giving necro’s another power weapon fixed their major issues you don’t play much necro. When I play necro 100% of the time I have dagger/warhorn equipped. The biggest gripes with necro’s are unreliable stab application, weak condition damge/control (for what the master of conditions should have), horrible minion ai. Reaper does not address a single of those things.

You are all in here complaining that staff is just redundant because we already have dagger. Well guess what they just gave greatsword to necro fits the same exact role as dagger/warhorn (they will be competing against each no arguing there) but the two are played in a different style. Even warrior has the same issue with main hand axe vs greatsword competing against one another.

edit: Also I think its hilarious that you cherry picked my post to disagree on that one sentence which wasn’t even the main point of my post.

(edited by sebradle.7034)

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Tyr.6097

I simply don’t see any room for staffs, because everything that would be useful is already brought by our current weapon sets.

Tyrs Klinge ~Thief~

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Neither, off-hand Sword or bust. We don’t need Rifle because we already have Pistol and SB, we don’t need Staff because I can’t see how it would be all that different from a Shiro/Staff rev. Of the two I would prefer staff, but I really think staff should be more Relevant or Warrior rather than Thief. It is very un-thiefy.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

sebradle.7034

I simply don’t see any room for staffs, because everything that would be useful is already brought by our current weapon sets.

I completely agree that with dagger and sword we really don’t need staff and rifle would open up more variety for thief at the moment. But that doesn’t mean that a melee staff play-style should be excluded because there is more then one way to skin a cat. Just like there is more then one way to provide a melee play-style.

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Kocoff.7582

Kocoff.7582

Warriors have litteraly an kitten nal at their disposal. Because of that they are good at what they do, they have access to the rifle, but you see barely anybody of them with it.

Having access to it doesn’t necessarily mean that we need it, and we really don’t.

It would be better to have a staff because it would expand what we do better, CLOSE RANGE swift kills.

A rifle would make people QQ even more , sniping while invisible is kind of an intense idea that would quickly get nerfed. I mean look at how Anet is treating us already.

as Thieves, more CC , survivability, more trickiness and more complexity would improve us dramatically. and I don’t see those perks coming with a rifle. Only the staff could save the day. (with a lot of Anet fixes)

As im talking about it, i get anxious like crazy. They better not kitten us up guys.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

A yoyo

/15chars

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: abclemons.7093

abclemons.7093

I just wanted to say warhorn…. main hand warhorn.

Koffix (ele) | Koffix Sprockets (engi ) | Koffix Shadows (teef) | Koffix Clones (mes) |
Koffix [xxx] (all the rest)
[Phnx] Phoenix Rises from the Ashes | Crystal Desert

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Don’t know, none of them?

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

GS so I can do:

Perforate Artery In front of target
Stealthed 15 -10 5 1652
92 / 30 Bleeding 20/tick (Body) 20s

Creeping Death 15 0 5 271
154 / 3 Stunned 7s

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

Rifle all the way. I’d love to have a viable weaponset that works at range. Pistol/Pistol just doesn’t really work well outside of Unload, and shortbow is more of a utility weapon than anything.

And I just don’t really see Staff offering anything new to Thieves beyond just replacing something one of the other weapon sets can do.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Byebyemeow.9641

Byebyemeow.9641

GS so I can do:

Perforate Artery In front of target
Stealthed 15 -10 5 1652
92 / 30 Bleeding 20/tick (Body) 20s

Creeping Death 15 0 5 271
154 / 3 Stunned 7s

We could call it…. A Shadowblade

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: MunkeeBreath.9165

MunkeeBreath.9165

I can honestly say I think thieves will get the staff. Think about the specialization name and profession name for a second. Thief, what would go along with the theme of the profession? Perhaps something like Beggar or Vagabond.

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: uglydan.1638

uglydan.1638

Might be possible to get staff AND ranged. The staff might have a spell-like use, shooting bolts of shadow, kind of a shadowy spell thief. If that’s the case, then it remains to be seen if the staff elite is power or condi.

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

Prefer rifle but it’s gonna be Staff. I’m fine with Staff too anyway. Would also like offhand sword or focus.

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

Might be possible to get staff AND ranged. The staff might have a spell-like use, shooting bolts of shadow, kind of a shadowy spell thief. If that’s the case, then it remains to be seen if the staff elite is power or condi.

how would that fit a theif….

thats more a necromancer…

no medium armor class uses magic =/
heck even the Druid is pushing it

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

No medium armour uses magic?
What about ranger spirits, is that not magic?
What about shadow stepping? Is that just normal, every day thing we can all do? Drinking a tonic to turn yourself into a tornado, or throwing one to turn your foe into a Moa sounds like magic to me too!

Edit: I think it was the final rule of Oola, that we all embody magic!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

lorewise, thieves use shadowmagic. rangers also use nature magic. otherwise druid makes no sense.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Zera.8907

Zera.8907

If Rifle is revealed I’d actually have a use for my Predator (stupid engie)…
Rifle plz.

Blackgate: Zera Mithrandir- Reaper| Zera Targaryen-Mes|Zera Naharis – Ranger|

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I’m Pro-Staff.

The only thing I can think of that thieves need this 1,200 range for is to reach more players in zergs in WvW to get more loot. PvE and PvP certainly doesn’t need it because a thief is barely going to be that far from an enemy unless they’re low on health, retreating!

I’d also like to add that I’ve personally never heard of thieves not having 1,200 range being a problem until this Staff vs Rifle war came about!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: gin.7158

gin.7158

maybe the staff will be a range weapon?

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Tyr.6097

I’d also like to add that I’ve personally never heard of thieves not having 1,200 range being a problem until this Staff vs Rifle war came about!

For me, it was always a problem. It sucks, not having any long range in certain encounters where everyone and his grandma can reach the target, while you standing nearby doing nothing.

Tyrs Klinge ~Thief~

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

I think we are going to get a Ele sword 2.0 where everyone wants a rifle, but the data mining leans heavily towards staff, including E on reddit who’s previous info on fractals proven accurate also pointed to a staff for thief.

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

For me, it was always a problem. It sucks, not having any long range in certain encounters where everyone and his grandma can reach the target, while you standing nearby doing nothing.

The only encounter I remember it was a problem was the TA tree with spiders which was removed.

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: meeflak.9714

meeflak.9714

We don’t need yet ANOTHER melee weapon. I hope we get rifle, as cool as melee staff sounds on thief, is as someone above Me said, redundant…

All professions lvl 80. x2 elementalist
main Druid ~~Adalyn Del Rayna~~ [SIGH]
[Ehmry Bay]

Staff or Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: doddbox.8153

doddbox.8153

“Another melee weapon”, there is two, and two ranged weapons. Rifle is boring enough on the other two classes. I’d pick any weapon over Rifle any day, Longbow would be far more interesting and fitting.

very special guild tag [tX]