State of the thief [Heartseeker]

in Thief

Posted by: crouze.3078

crouze.3078

This is a sub topic for the state of the thief. you can get to the main overview by clicking one of the links below.
This Topic is used to discuss about a specific skill or trait and to make suggestions on how to improve it.

———————————————
Heartseeker:
———————————————
Dagger Skill: 2
Leap and strike your foe. The less health your target has, the more damage you cause.

———————————————
Ideas :
———————————————

Leap and strike your foe. The less health more vulnerability stacks your target has, the more damage you cause.

less then 10 stacks:
more then 10 stacks:
more then 20 stacks:

(edited by crouze.3078)

in Thief

crouze.3078

My Idea:

Leap and strike your foe. The less health more vulnerability stacks your target has, the more damage you cause.

less then 10 stacks:
more then 10 stacks:
more then 20 stacks:

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

I really don’t think it’s a good idea to make so many topics. We can discuss the state of the Thief profession just fine in your first topic.

As for your suggestion for HS, it would completely destroy HS and make it absolutely terrible. Why would you possibly want to nerf it so kittening hard?!

Just read the Backstab suggestion and now I can see why you suggested this, but it’s still absolutely terrible.

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

(edited by Incurafy.6329)

in Thief

crouze.3078

It is way more organized with creating multiple topics.
Otherwise its really hard to keep track of everything.
Talking about 20 different things in 1 topic at the same time is really chaotic.

And i see my idea more as a change then a nerf.
Running around alone would make it a bit weaker depending on the amount of vulnerability you can stack.

But on the other hand it would make it stronger in group play.

in Thief

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

My Idea:

less then 10 stacks:
more then 10 stacks:
more then 20 stacks:

But Vulnerability already does that?

Not to mention that outside of Body Shot, Thief has crappy access to Vulnerability. And it would make Thieves spam Heartseeker in dungeons because of having 20+ stacks on bosses constantly.

Dagger is already a kitten boring weapon in PvE, there’s really no need to make it any more boring.

in Thief

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

Here’s is my suggestion:
“Heartseeker” ini cost increased by 1 (4ini), “Heartseeker” dmg cost like it was pre-nerf or just a slighty buff to dmg:
now there are 2 possibilities:
-every time the thief hits with this skill it gains 1 ini back
-every time the thief is bloked, blinded or dodged while using “Heartseeker” or simply it doesn’t hit anything, the thief loses 1 ini more

This is my idea for rewarding a skillfull use of “Heartseeker” since if you hit the damage is increased and the skill will cost just like now, and for punishing a mindless spamming of this skill since if you miss this skill will cost 2 more ini than now.
This also will nerf perma stealth thief that uses 3\4 times “Heartseeker” inside “Black Powder”

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

in Thief

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

HS is fine.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

in Thief

crouze.3078

My Idea:

less then 10 stacks:
more then 10 stacks:
more then 20 stacks:

But Vulnerability already does that?

Not to mention that outside of Body Shot, Thief has crappy access to Vulnerability. And it would make Thieves spam Heartseeker in dungeons because of having 20+ stacks on bosses constantly.

Dagger is already a kitten boring weapon in PvE, there’s really no need to make it any more boring.

I agree that it would be strong on bosses. But it is not assured that there will be 20+ stacks on the boss.

You would help to stack the vulnerability with the backstab and other skills to get the most out of heartseeker.

Skale Venom would help as well.

In PvP you could use traps and get some extra vulnerability stacks with Corrosive Traps and attack them while they are vulnerable.

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

What exactly is the point of the change? Heartseeker and Backstab are two skills that don’t even need s change, and yet you’re promoting change, why?

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

in Thief

crouze.3078

I think Backstab needs a change. I know you wont like to hear it but it’s to much damage in a short period of time.

And one of the main reasons for my suggestions regarding Backstab and Heartseeker is to make it more interesting to use them. And i think building something up to increase the heartseeker damage is more interesting then just starting to spam it when the target is low.

in Thief

Posted by: Kman.7358

Kman.7358

I think Backstab needs a change. I know you wont like to hear it but it’s to much damage in a short period of time.

And one of the main reasons for my suggestions regarding Backstab and Heartseeker is to make it more interesting to use them. And i think building something up to increase the heartseeker damage is more interesting then just starting to spam it when the target is low.

Backstab is the highest burst a thief can have. It still does less than eviscerate or killshot, neither of which require perfect positioning to deal full damage to the target. Not to mention final thrust, which pulls off ridiculous hits on anyone below 50% health, and that isn’t even a burst ability.

Nerfing a weapon more than it already has been because it does “too much damage” when it still does less than several other abilities isn’t a good change.

Appeased -Team Riot [RIOT] – Blackgate
teamriot.org
twitch.tv/teamriottv

(edited by Kman.7358)

in Thief

Posted by: Super Riceman.8702

Super Riceman.8702

I think the dmg scaling should be changed from % of enemy hp left to distance from enemy when casted, the longer the distance the more the dmg.

That way it rewards timing and positioning, not pressing it over and over again

There is only one god and its name is nerf. There is only one thing we say to nerf, not today

in Thief

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

I think the dmg scaling should be changed from % of enemy hp left to distance from enemy when casted, the longer the distance the more the dmg.

That way it rewards timing and positioning, not pressing it over and over again

ahahaha that would be great for 1 shot HS.

i mean: 1500 range —> heartseeker + steal (traited) = kaboom!

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

in Thief

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

Here’s is my suggestion:
“Heartseeker” ini cost increased by 1 (4ini), “Heartseeker” dmg cost like it was pre-nerf or just a slighty buff to dmg:
now there are 2 possibilities:
-every time the thief hits with this skill it gains 1 ini back
-every time the thief is bloked, blinded or dodged while using “Heartseeker” or simply it doesn’t hit anything, the thief loses 1 ini more

This is my idea for rewarding a skillfull use of “Heartseeker” since if you hit the damage is increased and the skill will cost just like now, and for punishing a mindless spamming of this skill since if you miss this skill will cost 2 more ini than now.
This also will nerf perma stealth thief that uses 3\4 times “Heartseeker” inside “Black Powder”

Except many Thieves use Heartseeker as a mobility skill, and your concept would punish them for that.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

(edited by Imagi.4561)

in Thief

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Leap on such strong ability is a bad idea and been since the release. Thief already has way too many easily-spammable nice gapclosers, absolutlty no reward for smart play, no counter for builds utilizing range, thieves are hardly kiteable, just spam one button most of the times and you’ll be on target regardless how dumb you are.
I would be after more control, setting combos to deal greater damage not by spamming one key but in longer period, finishing combo with really deadly abilities. That’s said, Thief gapclosers bounded with brainless key spamming has to be changed. Give thieves more blocks, control and utility, but take away perma evade/perma stealth. Make them strong in active melee if they choose so, but give kiters some breathing room and ability to counterplay, punishing thieves for brainless spam and rewarding for predicting and playing to it’s strenghts. Like right now, I can’t see thieves using any cripples like Dagger 4 to keep on the enemy. They don’t need that. There’s always some imba leap or teleport, ready to be spammed.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Thief

Posted by: Asudementio.8526

Asudementio.8526

You are completely anti-burst in regards to thief skills from a cursory glance at your ideas. You would substitute our capacity to act as an assassin for being a much weaker melee ranger. Your fascination with vulnerability is beyond me and you are redesigning the class around it and conditions in general- which is bad. Conditions should be viable, not the mainstay.

Leader of [Suh]
My moves are fresh, like my groceries.
#TeamEvonforever

in Thief

Posted by: Valvador.4291

Valvador.4291

When you first started making these topics I was really glad that someone wanted to have a great organized critical discussion. While your organization skills are good, your imagination and ability to design FUN GAME MECHANICS is somewhat lacking.

I legitimately don’t understand where you think of the fact that replacing our big “OH WOAH, OUT OF NOWHERE” big damage move with an arbitrary move that stacks vulnerability over time. Stacking vulnerability is more boring than World of Warcraft Looking For Raid-tier boss fighting. Repetition is not the key here. If you really think you want to alter the Thief class this massively, how about trying Innovation rather than attempting to create PvE-like mechanics in PvP.

Thief – [BanD]Valnilus
Necro – [BanD]Nighnus the Black
Yak’s Bend

in Thief

Posted by: Sifu.6527

Sifu.6527

This is a sub topic for the state of the thief. you can get to the main overview by clicking one of the links below.
This Topic is used to discuss about a specific skill or trait and to make suggestions on how to improve it.

———————————————
Heartseeker:
———————————————
Dagger Skill: 2
Leap and strike your foe. The less health your target has, the more damage you cause.

———————————————
Ideas :
———————————————

less then 10 stacks:
more then 10 stacks:
more then 20 stacks:

No discussion needed. HS is fine.

in Thief

Posted by: Valvador.4291

Valvador.4291

The only thing that really concerns me about HeartSeeker is the fact that I am completely dependent on it for Mobility, kind of like warriors on their leap attack. For example, my way to escape a zerg is to either drop a Refuge, or a few Stealth stacks and then Heartseeker in an arbitrary direction so that I cannot be found.

Thief – [BanD]Valnilus
Necro – [BanD]Nighnus the Black
Yak’s Bend

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

they are spamming HS. they are OP

in Thief

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

Leap on such strong ability is a bad idea and been since the release. Thief already has way too many easily-spammable nice gapclosers, absolutlty no reward for smart play, no counter for builds utilizing range, thieves are hardly kiteable, just spam one button most of the times and you’ll be on target regardless how dumb you are.

Many Thief gapclosers are utilities, or skills that require a target in order to move you anywhere. Heatseeker is “spammable,” by contrast, making it usable for general mobility.

If you want to take away the leap, that’s all well and good, but Thieves would need a “spammable” mobility skill elsewhere. Shortbow—which is already a crutch as a utility weapon—would be a necessity otherwise.

I would be after more control, setting combos to deal greater damage not by spamming one key but in longer period, finishing combo with really deadly abilities.

The old GW Assassins used long combo chains, and it was fun to play. However, if you missed one link in that chain for whatever reason, you had to begin all over again. In today’s dodge-happy meta, which also contains an abundance of mitigators like blind and block, a long skill combo would never reach it’s conclusion without being interrupted.

That’s said, Thief gapclosers bounded with brainless key spamming has to be changed. Give thieves more blocks, control and utility, but take away perma evade/perma stealth.

How would you recommend doing this? Stealth and evasion are the core aspects of two Thief traitlines: Shadow Arts and Acrobatics.

Make them strong in active melee if they choose so, but give kiters some breathing room and ability to counterplay, punishing thieves for brainless spam and rewarding for predicting and playing to it’s strenghts. Like right now, I can’t see thieves using any cripples like Dagger 4 to keep on the enemy. They don’t need that. There’s always some imba leap or teleport, ready to be spammed.

Dancing dagger used to be used often, as a kiting ability and an aoe burst. However, this was before the November nerf that cut the skill’s damage by 50%. This was the same “balance patch” that nerfed the damage of CnD by 33% in an attempt to control Backstab burst builds, and ended having a negligible effect on them. Instead, it castrated the offhand dagger in general.

I would be all for renovating it.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Thief

Posted by: Emissary.3792

Emissary.3792

Heartseeker is pretty weak on targets that aren’t below 50% hp, and only moderately strong until under 25%. Plus it burns initiative and locks you into the animation without giving you any evade. If you spam it and the opponent isn’t pure glass you’ll take them to 50%, run out of initiative, get stomped in a face-to-face fight and then have no initiative for mobility to run away.