Steal Nerf, Are you for real, ANet?

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

bug post again

/15whatevers

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Thief

Posted by: AegisRunestone.8672

AegisRunestone.8672

The OP’s post isn’t going to make the devs like us. >.>

Regardless, this nerf is terrible. I cannot give swiftness/might/etc to allies, and that was the WHOLE reason I took Thrill of the Crime. Not for myself, but for others. I don’t want to aggro a mob just to help those wounded soldiers get back to the Pact camp in VB.

It’s very annoying to see how many nerfs we get. I don’t play sPvP often, and I just don’t want to anymore.

I remember earlier this year when I could actually kill in PvP, and was a scary foe. Now, I’ll bet I’m laughable.

in Thief

Posted by: darkaheart.4265

darkaheart.4265

Regardless, this nerf is terrible. I cannot give swiftness/might/etc to allies, and that was the WHOLE reason I took Thrill of the Crime. Not for myself, but for others. I don’t want to aggro a mob just to help those wounded soldiers get back to the Pact camp in VB.

It’s very annoying to see how many nerfs we get. I don’t play sPvP often, and I just don’t want to anymore.

I remember earlier this year when I could actually kill in PvP, and was a scary foe. Now, I’ll bet I’m laughable.

One of the reason i actually use my Steal skill without a target was for group but no! this was too good or too much support for thief according to anet

i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz|Z77X-UD5H Motherboard|16GB @ 1600Mhz|GTX 1080|Corsair AX750 PSU|Windows 10 Home

in Thief

Posted by: Celestia.9128

Celestia.9128

When in doubt, nerf thieves.

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Anyone else notice the skill failing to work when targets are in range and auto-targeting turned on? It also seems to fail sometimes when selected targets are clearly within range. I am sometimes having to slam the key 4-5 times to get steal to launch.

So they nerfed it, sort of broke it and someone on here is calling it a buff… wow… just wow.

ANet is really trying to get me to quit this game… they are trying REALLY hard apparently.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in Thief

Posted by: rennlc.7346

rennlc.7346

I like this change. Not wasting my steal because of pathing issues and using it right after my target stealths has been way more helpful overall than intentionally using it without a target for mobility. If S/D were better, it would really suck that we can’t do sword #2 with steal anymore though.

(edited by rennlc.7346)

in Thief

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I really like this change. Not wasting my steal because of pathing issues and using it right after my target stealths has been way more helpful overall than intentionally using it without a target for mobility.

Say that when you have a support build for dungeons or WvW. There are many times when you cannot hit an enemy, so you pop the move for the people who can hit them. Now you can’t even do that.

Thief really only had Thrill of the Crime, Bountiful Theft, and the Venom Share for group support, and the first two were traits that prevented you from gimping your utilities while still being able to support. They just gutted Thrill of the Crime and Bountiful Theft with this change. Meaning now you kitten yourself completely if you go support, because only Venom Share is really left.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Thief

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

Hate this change.

in Thief

Posted by: indiesicky.2874

indiesicky.2874

How many times have you accidentally used steal on a target that went into stealth almost at the same time.

Maybe 1 time for every 100times i used it for the buffs?

Yea it is not common but you know what should be even less common? needing to use steal ooc when you can run into an opponent at anytime, needing to use steal ooc when many other classes already do that and needing to use steal ooc if you run SB

steal w/o target had it uses with hidden thief combo when you needed to get away from being spiked w/o landing in massive aoe cluster spam on point

i used steal ooc a lot for decapping, now it is worthless as well

Is that the reason why people are complaining? there are 101 ways to get out of that situation without needing to waste steal.

101 ways? amuse me

Port? with the countless options you have on the class? Evade? steal from a distant target? since stealing on a spot to avoid AoE really doesnt help you unless you evade or port which defeats the purpose of wasting steal in the first place. The numerous stealth options?

Steal can heal ,do damage, rip boons, grant boons, recharge skills, stealth for backstab, daze, apply conditions, grant endurance and probably more i have missed, but you decide to give up all that just for stealth that doesnt block damage and that you can get in other ways?

You know what else steal does? Blocks a zerg taking you from 15k hp to 0 in 2 seconds. Go ahead and rip protection and every other boon in the game and daze that ONE guy of the zerg, divebombing yourself into that zerg. Hell, even heal yourself for 10k and gain 500% endurance and still get trampled to tell me it was more worth it than gaining stealth to simply flutter in another direction out of harm.

gg

in Thief

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

I dont run Shadow refuge, short bow or hidden thief and unless im fighting on open ground while in a duel I have never felt the need to take either of them. After about 8k matches as a thief if not more, i have seen just about every type of player and scenario you can think of and i can comfortably tell you that this change to steal is a non issue.

Believe it or not, using steal on that 1 guy in most cases will be your way out depending on your build, direction you chose and what you do after you steal.

Think for a second, when you die what is typically the reason? it usually isnt something that happened the moment you died, but something you did before that, either you didnt see someone in time or you didnt react early, reacted wrong or stayed when you should have left even if you had full hp.

Twice today i used steal the same instant the player went into stealth, i mean what are the odds, but the patch saved me from wasting it on thin air. I’d call that a good thing. If i want to escape a threesome then I have dp, sd and shadow step for that. Even using roll for initiative for positioning behind an obstacle is effective.

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

You guys are overreacting with this ooc steal. The hidden killer was nice and sad to see that trick go. But the rest of your moaning are utter trash. If you want perma swiftness then trait for the dash dodge trait, why would you give your team fury when we are "not meant to be in team fights? And wow, 1 stack of might? Whopppy do! Much dmg such over kill. When other class (example rev) can stand there afk and give the whole team 5-8 might stacks, and swiftness indefinitely, eles can give us more swiftness as well. So much toxic in there forums and over silly minor things like this. Sulking for the sake of it.

After 3 years they should of left it alone, I agree. And I am hoping this is just a bug like the stealth stacking was but we shall see.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in Thief

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

i actually never miss my steal and i don’t see where this would be a buff. even if you miss, you usually get at least a speedbuff and/or stealth. (depends on your traits)

as a wvw and pve player i see it as a nerf. huge maps – no speedbuff… chasing someone – no speedbuff…

tbh, this patch made just made me put away the wvw gear of my thief into the deepest parts of my bank, because roaming became entirely annyoing with this class. maybe it is even time to move to my warrior/zerker as a main…

Welcome to the dark side brother.

Let’s make it burn

in Thief

Posted by: Raiden.1375

Raiden.1375

I kind of like the changes so far. Steal never goes on a 5 second cool down anymore when you use it while out of range or when there’s no line of sight. Also, it no longer goes on a full cool down if you use it right when an opponent stealths because you are required to have a target to use it. Some of those scenarios happen more often than you might think, and you don’t have control over when they happen usually either. As someone suggested earlier, maybe there could be an option you can toggle on or off for if you want to require a target to be able to use these types of skills. Regardless of whether the target requirement gets reverted or not, the part with steal not going on a 5 second cool down when you use it from out of range or with no line of sight needs to stay.

in Thief

Posted by: darres.8203

darres.8203

so when is the fix on draw back heal coming?

or mid air immob getting fixed?

in Thief

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

Changed OP to be not-so-hostile.

Also, this nerf sucks.

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

in Thief

Posted by: Tyyphoon.5301

Tyyphoon.5301

Steal now requires a target in order to use? Are you kittening kidding me, ANet?

Not even on the kittening patch notes.

kitten off.

Seriously, why nerf a class that is not even represented in GW2 ESL Pro League (ie. EU ESL Pro League had NO thieves, IIRC). I’m so livid right now. What kind of logic is this exactly? The one skill that remained untouched is now tainted due to moronic decision making. Please elucidate the proposed logic. Why not nerf the condi-spamming classes that run rampant in this game nowadays? #FailLogic.

Tyyphóón (Lv 80 Thief) | Mini Tyy (Lv 80 Ele) [Maguuma]
Mag is the No.1 killer of WvW. -Exciton.8942
What does not kill me, makes me stronger. -Nietzsche

in Thief

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I kind of like the changes so far. Steal never goes on a 5 second cool down anymore when you use it while out of range or when there’s no line of sight. Also, it no longer goes on a full cool down if you use it right when an opponent stealths because you are required to have a target to use it. Some of those scenarios happen more often than you might think, and you don’t have control over when they happen usually either. As someone suggested earlier, maybe there could be an option you can toggle on or off for if you want to require a target to be able to use these types of skills. Regardless of whether the target requirement gets reverted or not, the part with steal not going on a 5 second cool down when you use it from out of range or with no line of sight needs to stay.

They really should have just put a checker on the skill. Do you have the traits that give stealth or any kind of buff on steal? If yes, then it will go on full cooldown while giving you the buffs. If not, then it gets the 5 sec cooldown. I mean seriously, as an amateur programmer I can tell you that this is a simple true/false flag check, it shouldn’t take that much time to set up.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Thief

winterchillz.2564

They really should have just put a checker on the skill. Do you have the traits that give stealth or any kind of buff on steal? If yes, then it will go on full cooldown while giving you the buffs. If not, then it gets the 5 sec cooldown. I mean seriously, as an amateur programmer I can tell you that this is a simple true/false flag check, it shouldn’t take that much time to set up.

But that’s too much work and ANet are busy with #esports.

Cloud of Sparrows

in Thief

Posted by: Link.1049

Link.1049

… they nerfed the thief again… this is my surprised face. (facepalm).

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

… they nerfed the thief again… this is my surprised face. (facepalm).

super facepalm ov dooom

Attachments:

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

In some cases it’s a nerf, denying you access to that swiftness which you might need if it comes down to a decap to win a PvP match, or if you’re running hidden thief and just need the stealth.

Mostly, though, it’s a buff. I lost count how many times I’ve missed steal because I press it a millisecond after my target enters stealth. This patch should prevent steal from going off in such cases, allowing me to use it for its full effect.

No, mostly it’s just a nerf, as it means that you cannot activate your buffs without a target.

lmao, this cannot be a pve issue because that would be ridiculous. Is this a pvp/wvw issue? because i can list several reasons why you shouldnt be using steal without a target.

While it makes sense the skill should work only with a target, this change shows how the class needs some form of self buffing.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in Thief

Link.1049

In some cases it’s a nerf, denying you access to that swiftness which you might need if it comes down to a decap to win a PvP match, or if you’re running hidden thief and just need the stealth.

Mostly, though, it’s a buff. I lost count how many times I’ve missed steal because I press it a millisecond after my target enters stealth. This patch should prevent steal from going off in such cases, allowing me to use it for its full effect.

No, mostly it’s just a nerf, as it means that you cannot activate your buffs without a target.

lmao, this cannot be a pve issue because that would be ridiculous. Is this a pvp/wvw issue? because i can list several reasons why you shouldnt be using steal without a target.

While it makes sense the skill should work only with a target, this change shows how the class needs some form of self buffing.

…Never gonna happen.

in Thief

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

The amount of times I’ve repeatedly pressed F1 whilst running, wondering and forgetting why my character isn’t getting any faster. -.-

I run a Daredevil thief that uses Unhindered Combatant, which when using all three dodges is nearly three times longer swiftness than Thrill of the Crime. But I still miss it. The ability to run through a map with someone, and then sometimes I stop ahead waiting and hit F1 to give them as well as myself swiftness has been taken away.

I think all the other classes have some sort of Utility or Weapon skill that can grant swiftness without needing to trait. Thief, the supposedly most agile class, has to have certain traits to activate it.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

in Thief

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

a change… for the Greater Good?

for… Balance?

in Thief

Link.1049

The thief is like the cake in portal… it is a lie. Since HoT…every other class out thieves a thief.

in Thief

Posted by: blarghhrrkblah.3412

blarghhrrkblah.3412

You guys are seriously overreacting to this…10s of swiftness, fury, and might…compared to that plus a potential daze, heal, boon strip, vigor, weakness, stolen items, etc when used properly. Maybe it’s kinda lame, but at this point, I feel like many of you are actually trying to be angry. Using Steal purely for Thrill of the Crime is just a waste of what is arguably one of our most valuable skills.

in Thief

Posted by: Kronohoron.9182

Kronohoron.9182

I don’t think I can really add to the discussion, as I mainly play Thief in pve and wvw.
And to be fair, the ooc Steal for thrill of the crime was a comfort option for me.
One that I immediatly missed, when it was taken away from me. Since there is a considerable amount of players actually liking this, I think, the optimal solution would actually be to make this optional for the player.

Oh and please please don’t add the port-path check to steal. Not being able to steal ooc is one thing. Not being able to reliably steal at all is just horrible.

in Thief

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

some (including me) may be angry/upset because they were waiting a… balance / buff / improvement of the profession.
and as usual we received shait.

in Thief

Posted by: Fhaeris.9237

Fhaeris.9237

This is the whole Mesmer situation again, where they kept nerfing them patch after patch, even the dumbest things, for no absolute reason. It took 3 years of whining to get them to properly fix it.
So yeah, be patient follow thieves, in 3 years maybe we’ll have a decent profession.

in Thief

Posted by: Routa.4136

Routa.4136

For people who think it’s JUST an out of combat quality of life nerf and a buff to steal in combat, I disagree.

Since the June “balance” patch that threw whatever balance the game had into a tailspin, I’ve been playing glass S/P, roaming in WvW. I liked to use twitch Sword #2 + Steals, or even longer range assaults with Infiltrator’s Signet + Steal. Can’t do that anymore. Steal doesn’t register to being in range fast enough with this nerf, and instead I get “out of range” and get stuck halfway to my target.

Anet, please restore steal to its former status. Popping a steal into thin air when you didn’t want that to happen is annoying, but very small price to pay considering what you’ve taken away from it in turn. It’s a surgical stealth nerf, seemingly so petty, but makes everything about the profession feel wrong.

Desolation Bronx Raider – roamer and general nuisance.

(edited by Routa.4136)

in Thief

Posted by: MarauderShields.6830

MarauderShields.6830

Seriously, why are you guys surprised?
Running really fast was the last thing teef was good in, so naturally, anet had to reduce access to swiftness.

Former running-really-fast-man. Now proud member of Revenant clan.

in Thief

Posted by: AegisRunestone.8672

AegisRunestone.8672

Changed OP to be not-so-hostile.

Also, this nerf sucks.

Thanks.

And yes, I agree.

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

You guys are seriously overreacting to this…10s of swiftness, fury, and might…compared to that plus a potential daze, heal, boon strip, vigor, weakness, stolen items, etc when used properly. Maybe it’s kinda lame, but at this point, I feel like many of you are actually trying to be angry. Using Steal purely for Thrill of the Crime is just a waste of what is arguably one of our most valuable skills.

If you are decapping and nobody is around, swiftness is necessary. Given that steal is on a 20 second cooldown, it used to be reliable mobility to keep us from burning our sb initiative to move quickly.

If I’m condi or power spec, I now have to:

1.) Have DareDevil
2.) Cram myself into one trait

Just to have access to swiftness at all?

Okay.

Guess being kittened off at being slower to decap is overreacting

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Time is money yes, but I can’t see it being “that slower” I have been running with flanking strikes and dodge bound for a few weeks and so no swiftness for me, hardly noticed and I had steal up to engage an enemy on a point too.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in Thief

Posted by: Yashuoa.9527

Yashuoa.9527

Steal now requires a target in order to use.

The change is rather dull and eliminates one of the core thief skills as well as a couple of traits.

Edit: Made the post a rather more … user friendly.

Why is it changed to need a target?
It was nice for some boons like swiftness, when you went quickly with shortbow from point 1 to point 2.

Nobody complained about it needing a target right?

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

This is the whole Mesmer situation again, where they kept nerfing them patch after patch, even the dumbest things, for no absolute reason. It took 3 years of whining to get them to properly fix it.
So yeah, be patient follow thieves, in 3 years maybe we’ll have a decent profession.

I don’t want to go off on a tangent but WHATTTTTT? The Mesmer has for at least 90% of GW2’s life been close to the OP line and sometimes crossed it. There was this short time when condi got nuked but then they buffed it and brought in Perplexity. Mesmers are still probably the strongest of the non-Elites in duels, roaming and skirmish. They still possess as much or more utility than just about any other class.

If their is a comparison it would be to the Ranger which suffered patch after patch of nerfs until it was laughably easy to kill even skilled ones.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in Thief

Posted by: Fhaeris.9237

Fhaeris.9237

I don’t want to go off on a tangent but WHATTTTTT? The Mesmer has for at least 90% of GW2’s life been close to the OP line and sometimes crossed it. There was this short time when condi got nuked but then they buffed it and brought in Perplexity. Mesmers are still probably the strongest of the non-Elites in duels, roaming and skirmish. They still possess as much or more utility than just about any other class.

If their is a comparison it would be to the Ranger which suffered patch after patch of nerfs until it was laughably easy to kill even skilled ones.

They were good in duels, but that’s it. They were completely useless in PvE (guardians did everything better), in WvW they were veil bots and in PvP they were rallybots in teamfights.

in Thief

Posted by: alicatrawz.9567

alicatrawz.9567

ITS K, REPORTED THE BUG

gravity is my arch-nemesis.

in Thief

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

BTW, I just thought about another, even if minor, problem about this.

At the moment, thief is the only class in the game that doesn’t have access to swiftness while standing still.

We can get it only via dodging, be it Dash or the minor in Acro, and this is a real problem locking out this class from doing some PvE things in the game, especially jumping puzzles or achievements like the silverwastes’ golden badges one, there’s one point in which swiftness is needed but a dodge can’t be used.

Let’s add this to all the problems this steal nerf added.

in Thief

Posted by: Manen.7253

Manen.7253

simple fix to make both side happy, if we have a target and it is out of range, do nothing.
if we don’t have a target , just let us do the old way.

in Thief

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

It’s also a buff.

I’m on the buff>nerf side too.

If I have to choose between not having stealth wasted because of things out of my control like bad pathing or lag, and bbeing able to use it out of combat for things I can get other ways like utility skills or combo fields, I’d rather not have stealth wasted.

It also makes more sense for stealth to actually have to reach an enemy to have its effects. Since well, you can’t steal from thin air.

I would not be against something extra added to thief in return, though.

Like another pocket slot. Those F1 and F2 are lonely there. We could use an F3, maybe an F4 too when traited. Maybe F3 could be a slot just for buffs, while F2 is for attacks, and we can get the stuff we previously were getting by stealing from thin air by using the F3.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

It’s also a buff.

The nerf has been live for less than two days, and I’m already tired of this argument.

There is literally nothing about this change that is a buff. The fact that lazy and/or mediocre players now “waste” their Steal a little less often does not change this. Calling this a “buff” only further encourages these kind of moronic changes from ArenaNet, and we have enough issues as a profession to worry about already.

Improve your play and stop making things worse for the competent majority.

in Thief

Posted by: Shogun.7401

Shogun.7401

I have waited long enough for them to buff our class. This is unbelievable, please recruit a new dev for our class.

I am going to be rude on each and every thread.

in Thief

Posted by: SoulSin.5682

SoulSin.5682

Hold a minute.

Who will cast swiftness for the team at the beginning of the round now :c ?

in Thief

Posted by: Raiden.1375

Raiden.1375

“Thief—Steal: Removed this ability’s target requirement. This skill will no longer attempt to fire (and go on cooldown) on enemies outside of its maximum distance.”

The target requirement got reverted in the patch. Line of Sight and Out of Range errors still don’t put Steal on a 5 second CD either, nice.

in Thief

Posted by: Trinram.3708

Trinram.3708

They Fixed it and the it dosent CD any more out of range finally

in Thief

winterchillz.2564

Tonight, we celebrate, thief brothers! \o/

Cloud of Sparrows

in Thief

Posted by: Abdel Muhti.6431

Abdel Muhti.6431

You are able to use F1 steal w/o tagging an enemy again. You get all boons you skilled for using the F1 button, except “Vigor” you chose with “bountiful theft”.

in Thief

winterchillz.2564

You are able to use F1 steal w/o tagging an enemy again. You get all boons you skilled for using the F1 button, except “Vigor” you chose with “bountiful theft”.

IIRC, you need a target for the vigor so that’d make sense, yea.

Cloud of Sparrows

in Thief

Posted by: Abdel Muhti.6431

Abdel Muhti.6431

Its the same as “thrill of crime”. Theres no special discription saying: please mark a target. But the boons of thrill of crime are applied if you hit F1 w/o tagging something.

“stealing grants you…”
“when you steal…”

Im only curious because i can steal “fury, might & swiftness” from nowhere but not “vigor”

(edited by Abdel Muhti.6431)