Steal Suggestion: Stealing from our allies!

in Thief

Posted by: Wolfbrand.6523

Wolfbrand.6523

I often play with a warrior buddy of mine. At many points in our journey, I found myself wishing I could steal from him, for his whirling axe ability (particularly for AOE during dungeons/events).

Eventually, I had the light bulb moment: it would be amazing if thieves could steal from their allies.

“But Wolf, that’s ridiculous — why would you steal from your allies?”

Great question, imaginary naysayer. Thieves are notoriously seedy folk. In popular fiction they are often unreliable, unpredictable, and a bit chaotic (Yuffie in FFVII steals all of your materia during her sidequest!!). Stealing from your allies wouldn’t be stretch.

This also creates some incredibly cool options for traits. Imagine changing the trait “Thrill of the Crime” so that it gave fury/might/swiftness when stealing from enemies (as it currently does) or protection/regeneration when stealing from allies? It would open up so many interesting mechanics for our class.

Stealing from allies also helps with one thing that is sorely needed with the thief class: consistency. By running with certain professions, we have guaranteed access to specific abilities — something that steal rarely can offer. This would be fantastic for sPVP where the steal ability is subject to the randomness of our enemies. It also creates great synergy in team compositions for tPVP. In dungeons it gives us some much needed utility (stealing from a Necromancer for some fear-CC).

If you like this idea, bring some attention to this thread! I’d love to hear your comments as well.

in Thief

Posted by: Krathalos.3461

Krathalos.3461

I like the idea, but you have to realize that this would make a class that’s already insane in terms of running away even more insane. You could just Steal to an ally and then continue running. Wouldn’t happen simply because of this fact.

in Thief

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Honestly, I foresee two problems with it. One being it seems a tad OP’d and contrary to the concept of a randomized skill. The other being it’d make it so you’d have put more effort into your targeting as the skill as you could end up stepping to your friend instead of whatever enemy you have targeted, unless you expressly designate that enemy as your target. Basically it’d make the skill a little harder to use quickly.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

I really like this idea, actually. But it’d have to be done very carefully and specifically to not cause problems.

Perhaps just letting you use it to step to allies, but you don’t “steal” anything from them. The Steal text could be amended to say, “Shadowstep to target entity. If it’s an enemy, steal an ability…” blah blah blah.

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I like this idea. Would be nice if they threw this on F2.

It’s quite a common combat strategy ~ grab a spare sidearm from your ally’s belt when you need it and shoot away kinda thing. Maybe it should be called borrow. o.o

I’d also get more outa all the times I target an ally and use steal just for the trait boons, hehe.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

I think it’s an excellent suggestion that ties in pretty nicely with the overall theme of the class. I doubt it’d be overpowered, either – the ability has a cooldown and already relies quite a bit on luck.

in Thief

Posted by: KaiserCX.7103

KaiserCX.7103

I like the idea especially the trait, it would give us some more support options. As someone suggested, they could put it as an F2. To go further you use F2 and it steals from the ally you’re closest to (no shadow step). Also they should share the same cool-down timer.

in Thief

Posted by: Peter.8659

Peter.8659

This is a great idea, really is!

in Thief

Posted by: Gizmo.8921

Gizmo.8921

As much as I’d love this – I would not want it in the game, as it be too OP, people would abuse it for all the wrong reasons.

Sea of Sorrows
OCX