Steal from engineer is useless?

in Thief

Posted by: chandrawib.5489

chandrawib.5489

Steal from:
- a warrior will give you the whirl something skill that is good for extra dps.
- a guardian will give you a skill to interrupt your target.
- a necro will give you skill to fear nearby enemies that is good for CC
- a ranger will give you a tree to regen your health and remove condition from you
- a thief will give you a skill to stealth
- an elementalist will give a skill to slow your target
- a mesmer will give you skill to gain all boons
- an engineer, i have no idea what that skill really does, its even rarely hit your target.

What do you think? How do you use the skill you steal from an engineer? Is it really useless?

Keira Skywalker [TFH]

in Thief

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

It’s not that useful if you’re mele only… it’ll put a random condition on them as long as they stand in it… and you can leap through it for chaos armor.

But if you’re ranged it’ll add on a random condition if you shoot through the puddle and that is very very useful.

On the flip side a warrior’s whirl is totally useless to a P/D condition damage build. Using that as a P/D is worse than just auto attacking.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Thief

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

throw gunk is probably the best one, its a combo field, and using a leap finsisher like heartseeker will give you chaos armor

in Thief

Posted by: Ritt.3069

Ritt.3069

It inflicts a random condition on the foes affected and does little damage. It also serves as an ethereal combo field you can use to gain Chaos Armor w/ a leap or blast finisher. Not much else though, it’s probably the most useless steal skill along with Ice Shard.

William Van Dine/Aria Entreri/Weaver of the Dream
Thousand Lakes Alliance [TLA], Desolation
4 Champion titles, solo/duoq Legend, best old LB rank 64.

in Thief

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

It inflicts a random condition on the foes affected and does little damage. It also serves as an ethereal combo field you can use to gain Chaos Armor w/ a leap or blast finisher. Not much else though, it’s probably the most useless steal skill along with Ice Shard.

Random condition while standing in it =‘s they’ll move away. Random condition while shooting thorugh it =‘s chill, vuln, pois, burn… If you’re P/P or P/D it’s seriously boss.

10s of chill from ice shard is awesome as well… just not vs an ele who will remove it quickly.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

It can be underwhelming to be honest. It could probably use a very slight tweak – remove Immobilize from the possible conditions list (maybe, to keep it from being too powerful), and make it inflict a random Damaging condition (burning/bleeding/confusion/poison) AND one other random condition per tick (cripple/weakness/chill/blind/etc). This way it will benefit condition builds AND power/crit builds.

The current problem is, without Immobilizing your target, the area is so small AND the travel/activation time so long, by the time the ability lands players are usually already at the outer edge or completely out of it. It’s basically ONLY an ethereal combo field which maybe ticks on a target a single time before they move out of it, which isn’t bad by any means, but a bit weak when compared to other steals.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in Thief

Posted by: chandrawib.5489

chandrawib.5489

Oh i get it, now i think i know how to use it. Thank you for the answers

Keira Skywalker [TFH]

in Thief

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

if your playing a backstab d/d thief, you can cast bas venom after you steal instead, so that it applies on backstab that way you can throw gunk afterwards and get some auto attacks in to apply some conditions, and when they move out the way, heartseeker to get chaos armor. Applying your bas venom this way on necros is good also, get some auto attacks in when it breaks, cast fear and it should perfect timing to land a cnd and backstab again.

in Thief

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Also throw gunk synergies well with Signet of malice in the same way throw caltrops does,
You proc a heal for every target that stands in it every second.

in Thief

Posted by: Brassnautilus.2941

Brassnautilus.2941

throw
gunk
on
downed

in Thief

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

In WvW it’s actually really good for a D/D condition thief. Doing DB over it(whirl finisher) will put confusion on all nearby foes, get 3 stacks on people and suddenly it’s ~1k damage per skill on top of the 1k+ bleed damage per second. It can certainly ruin peoples days.

in Thief

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

In WvW it’s actually really good for a D/D condition thief. Doing DB over it(whirl finisher) will put confusion on all nearby foes, get 3 stacks on people and suddenly it’s ~1k damage per skill on top of the 1k+ bleed damage per second. It can certainly ruin peoples days.

People are also forgetting dagger offhand. Dancing dagger is a 100% projectile finisher, and you can spam it through gunk to rack upwards of 6 stacks of confusion on a target depending on how it bounces (gg to any engineer that has turrets out). However, you need to be running a condition build.

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

If you’re talking about Throw Gunk~ it’s my favorite skill to steal. ;o

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: grometsc.2375

grometsc.2375

About only way to kill a good engineer

Pop TG
Throw Gunk in front of your P/P thief
Let the confusion build…I run P/P or P/D just for this ability. 10+ confusion stacks, plus bleeds, plus dmg, plus thief…Dead bunker engineer

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

The current problem is, without Immobilizing your target, the area is so small AND the travel/activation time so long, by the time the ability lands players are usually already at the outer edge or completely out of it. It’s basically ONLY an ethereal combo field which maybe ticks on a target a single time before they move out of it, which isn’t bad by any means, but a bit weak when compared to other steals.

a useless skill if the target is moving…

in Thief

Posted by: Brassnautilus.2941

Brassnautilus.2941

About only way to kill a good engineer

Pop TG
Throw Gunk in front of your P/P thief
Let the confusion build…I run P/P or P/D just for this ability. 10+ confusion stacks, plus bleeds, plus dmg, plus thief…Dead bunker engineer

1.that’s hardly the only way to kill bunker engi
2.bunker engi aren’t among the best of engis, glasses are
3.against a top engi it’s 50/50 no matter what. get stacked and naded only takes 1 shot (a lot of shots in 1)

in Thief

Posted by: Iove.3902

Iove.3902

It’s one of the best to steal O.o

D/d = Heartseeker get Chaos armor. Death Blossom shoots confusion bolts.
Range = stack confusion.

Only thing it would be sorta bad for is sword…

in Thief

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

I have to say as a condition thief I do like my throw gunk, the extra conditions you can apply are rather nice (only access thieves get to burn and confuse without combo’s I believe)

But as others have said it depends heavily on your spec and play style, chaos armour and bolts are pretty nifty but not ideal for some.

Personally my least favourites would be guardian or elementalist, sure their effects can be nice at times but their limited range often has em going to waste for me. Whirling blades would be there if it wasn’t quite reasonable damage in general.

Also gunk, unless its changes, applys a new condition every second or so for the duration for anything in the puddle.

(edited by Dasorine.1964)