Stop spamming your Elites

in Thief

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

I fight a lot of thieves in WvW, there is one thing that makes me more embarrassed to play a thief then anything else, the amount of elite spamming that goes on. Elite abilities are really not that great if you do not use them appropriately, spamming them as an opener or as soon as they come back up, just makes you look like a noob.

Perhaps this kind of play style works against the countless number of bads that exist out there, no idea, but every single time I watch someone open with dagger storm I cry a little bit inside. Dagger storm in a 1v1 is basically useless as an offensive tool against a half decent player. If you wish to use it for evasion so you can wait on initiative or cool-downs, maybe even to close a gap, but randomly opening with it… oi. Same goes for thieves guild. Why would you randomly use this ability when you fight a cloak and dagger thief? Its like giving them free stealth whenever they want it.

Think about it.

~ AoN ~

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Try seeing a Thief run towards you (in plain sight) and BLATANTLY activating Basilisk Venom. Oh, that’s nice. Blinded

Also, I would agree that Thieves Guild is essentially free stealths, but against anyone else, it’s almost an instant deal-breaker. The distraction is more than enough to get the jump and burst your opponent to death.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

IMO, thief guild is great at all times during a fight. At the beginning, it catches your opponent off guard(pulls, blinds). Near the end of the fight, you’re opponent is going to be dropping everything to either escape death, or to finish you. Pop thieves guild, pull, blind, damage, ect… Also very great for distractions.

Disclaimer : Does not do well against stealth thieves using CnD.

in Thief

Posted by: Rissou.7213

Rissou.7213

Tbh, against any range opening with daggerstorm usually take 25-50% their hp of, it is very rare that people stop attacking, which is why its beneficial to use it.

Against thief , I pop daggerstorm if hes ranged or when he pop Thieves guild, because the thieves kill themself.

I would disagree that thieves guild is bad against another thief, they are very annoyin which will balance the fight towards you. This is a generalization, but it works more often than it fails, so really no reason not to.

You adapt to the enviroment and if everyone falls for the same easy, cheap old trick … by all means continue to use it.

Thief.

in Thief

Posted by: ZLE.8293

ZLE.8293

“Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake” – Napoleon

Why you complain?The more noob thieves(and any other class in that matter),the more points for you…

Ss Ninja- Rank 50 Asura Condition Thief (The Bulgarians [BG])
My Ringtones on Zedge >>>C l i c k <<<

in Thief

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

Dagger storm is my preferred retreat skill when my initiatives are down. If I already have some distance, ranged won’t hit me and melee will still have to catch up first (which crippling prevents .. half )

Thieves guild, great for turning tides in a group fight or again, running away. Somehow I like my elites when I need an escape lol …

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

in Thief

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Basilisk is my main elite, it’s the only one I find good in every situation. The others will be better in others, but the CD puts me off.

in Thief

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

Tbh, against any range opening with daggerstorm usually take 25-50% their hp of, it is very rare that people stop attacking, which is why its beneficial to use it.

Using Dagger Storm in small-scale conflicts where you are likely to be focused is entirely banking on your opponent being terrible. Anyone decent will close as soon as DS begins (dodge in to avoid being crippled on the way) and either kill you or force you to dodge out of your elite very early. As a thief there’s nothing I enjoy more than Infiltrator’s Strike onto a daggerstorming thief and downing them with some auto attack chains.

Dagger Storm is awesome in any situation where the enemy can’t close (on the edge of friendly lines), or you’re likely to be able to spin around without many people noticing you (big brawl).

I use Dagger Storm nearly exclusively as my elite, but it isn’t a solution to everything.

in Thief

Posted by: Nemo.6295

Nemo.6295

I’m gonna venture a guess here and the guess is that the OP is probably angry at some thief who D-Stormed away from him just when he was about to make that killing.

We may not be as dangerous as we used to be , but we are still kitten good at getting away. Welcome to the thief class!

in Thief

Posted by: Adaneshade.2409

Adaneshade.2409

I use D-Storm defensively in 1v1 vs ranged either to
A) force them to swap weapon to melee, giving me the advantage
B) kill the nub ranger who pops quickening zephyr to OMG KILL IT FAST >.<

~Shadowkat

in Thief

Rissou.7213

Using Dagger Storm in small-scale conflicts where you are likely to be focused is entirely banking on your opponent being terrible. Anyone decent will close as soon as DS begins (dodge in to avoid being crippled on the way) and either kill you or force you to dodge out of your elite very early. As a thief there’s nothing I enjoy more than Infiltrator’s Strike onto a daggerstorming thief and downing them with some auto attack chains.

Dagger Storm is awesome in any situation where the enemy can’t close (on the edge of friendly lines), or you’re likely to be able to spin around without many people noticing you (big brawl).

I use Dagger Storm nearly exclusively as my elite, but it isn’t a solution to everything.

As I said, in everyday situations its better to pop it than not to do it, in rare cases, very rare, people actually know what they are doing and stop attacking. I usually get eyes open wide and shocked O_O when someone stops attacking or that if someone goes into melee trying to stab me during daggerstorm.

OP is silly, no person opens with daggerstorm against a melee player, against ranged its a viable option

Thief.

(edited by Rissou.7213)

in Thief

Posted by: Lockon.5312

Lockon.5312

There’s a quote that I live by when it comes to gaming.

" There is no such thing as spammable if no one is vulnerable to it. "

in Thief

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Popping thieves guild vs a dagger thief gives you some blinds to reduce the effectiveness of the thief. Why wouldn’t I want to pop it? I don’t pop it at the beginning it depends on how the fight is going honestly sometimes I do sometimes I don’t.

I could care less if I actually kill the thief honestly. A stabby thief wants that blood usually they want to open first thieves guild helps you reset the fight in case you got caught off guard. Then its just down to skillzz. Guess it depends on what kind of thief your fighting though.

I always assume every thief is back stabby from the beginning until the fight starts.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Thief

Posted by: redsolarmoon.1054

redsolarmoon.1054

For me, Dagger Storm in WvW and Thieves Guild in PvE. In WvW, I usually wait for the opportunity when the enemy zerg is weakened to initiate the elite. It’s kind of silly to go into a full health zerg and expect much in return except maybe getting rooted or smashed several times. The less there are of fully capable enemies to deal with the better my chances are of escaping.

in Thief

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

The first thing I thought about when I read this was
" it doesn’t matter if you by an inch or a mile, winning is winning "
- Vin Diesel

I loled almost got a write up at work for loling

in Thief

Rissou.7213

The first thing I thought about when I read this was
" it doesn’t matter if you by an inch or a mile, winning is winning "
- Vin Diesel

I loled almost got a write up at work for loling

I just had to Vin diesel quote for you

Thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Gravy.7589

Gravy.7589

You in fact should never use your elites…… EVER!!!! Let alone spam them. The great thing about the thief class are the many elites or builds you have at your disposal. If I want to pop thief’s guild against a stealth thief at the start of the fight I have can him randomly targeting them while I use blinds, evades and spamming cluster bomb. Effective way to deal with a stealth thief as it cripples and has big dmg potential.

Spin to Win is great for finishing off zergs with signet of malice if you coordinate with others thief’s to pop at the same time.

in Thief

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

dagger storm is perfect counter for thief guide and p/d thief

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in Thief

Posted by: Malicious.6742

Malicious.6742

I use Dagger Storm in combination with Lyssa runes mostly when I’m out of initiative or when I’m against a lot of people, and against ranged ppl ofc.
Due to heal, traits and Lyssa runes I even use it against melees and it usually works out quite well. Hit volume seems to be a bit buggy though. Sometimes it hits alot against a single player and sometimes it like never hits (emphasis on single player > no bouncing and shiz)

in Thief

Posted by: spif.7580

spif.7580

Using dagger storm just for the stability isn’t a terrible idea in the right situation.

—- Kaineng : Nuke → Saarc ---